Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,473 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) (655 Views)

Ijebu, The Yoruba & Their Influence On The Bible & Judaism- Reno Omokri / How To Change Your Circumstances By God's Spirit / Do You Belong To God’s Spirit-directed Organization? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:51am On Jul 08, 2021
Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter Spirit (Dual Forces) ,i.e., Èṣù is one that may use wicked means if necessary for a good cause.

Èṣù is an Òrìṣà/Irúnmọlẹ̀ in the Isese traditional religion of the Yoruba people. Èṣù is a prominent primordial Divinity (a delegated Irúnmọlẹ̀ sent by the Olódùmarè) who descended from Ìkọ̀lé Ọ̀run, and the Chief Enforcer of natural and divine laws - he is the Deity in charge of law enforcement and orderliness.

Èṣù is a personification of Mischief; he is the one who teaches that there are always two sides or more to every issue. He balanced and created directions. Èṣù is necessary to an ordered life. According to Oluwo Aderemi Ifaoleepin Aderemi from Oyo Alaafin, to the criminally minded who celebrate wickedness, injustice, and immorality and unrighteous people, Èṣù Láàlù is evil and devilish, whilst Láaróyè Ajọ́ńgọ́lọ̀ Ọkùnrin Òde is an awesome and persuasive Divinity to pious and morally upright people who place a premium on justice, morality, and good character.

Èṣù is the messenger not only to the Creator Lord Olódùmarè, but also to the other Irúnmọlẹ̀s/Òrìṣàs. He is also the intermediary between Ajoguns (malevolent Spirits) to the Irúnmọlẹ̀s/Òrìṣàs (benevolent Spirits) and the ẹ̀dá èèyàn (human beings); he is the one who distributes, and also supervises the distribution of sacrifices (ẹbọ) to the Ajoguns.

Ase Èṣù

2 Likes

Re: Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by Daveambition(m): 2:02am On Jul 08, 2021
It all begins & end in ur mind.
What you give power to, has power over you; if you allow it..
Period....

Re: Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by illicit(m): 2:46am On Jul 08, 2021
I don't believe in much tho but I respect others believes
Re: Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by tillaman(m): 2:53am On Jul 08, 2021
Tradition
Re: Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by Nobody: 4:07am On Jul 08, 2021
Esu! The subordinate of Jesus Nigerians never worshipped

The fools that believed a man in the Middle-East died for for their sins in Africa!

How can a someone be so foolish!

5 Likes

Re: Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:15am On Jul 08, 2021
SARSCoV2:
Esu! The subordinate of Jesus Nigerians never worshipped

The fools that believed a man in the Middle-East died for for their sins in Africa!

How can a someone be so foolish!

Subordinate of jesus?
Re: Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:30am On Jul 08, 2021
Daveambition:
It all begins & end in ur mind.
What you give power to, has power over you; if you allow it..
Period....

Why dont you post the same on christian threads?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by 1Sharon(f): 1:33pm On Jul 08, 2021
Erroneously translated as the devil.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by sonmvayina(m): 4:32pm On Jul 08, 2021
1Sharon:
Erroneously translated as the devil.

The devil is a Christian creation...

3 Likes

Re: Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by Samzzysamz: 6:18pm On Jul 08, 2021
According to the believers of a god who sacrificed its own son, this right here is 'evil'. grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by Abohboy: 3:54pm On Sep 06, 2021
PAGAN9JA:

Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter Spirit (Dual Forces) ,i.e., Èṣù is one that may use wicked means if necessary for a good cause.

Èṣù is an Òrìṣà/Irúnmọlẹ̀ in the Isese traditional religion of the Yoruba people. Èṣù is a prominent primordial Divinity (a delegated Irúnmọlẹ̀ sent by the Olódùmarè) who descended from Ìkọ̀lé Ọ̀run, and the Chief Enforcer of natural and divine laws - he is the Deity in charge of law enforcement and orderliness.

Èṣù is a personification of Mischief; he is the one who teaches that there are always two sides or more to every issue. He balanced and created directions. Èṣù is necessary to an ordered life. According to Oluwo Aderemi Ifaoleepin Aderemi from Oyo Alaafin, to the criminally minded who celebrate wickedness, injustice, and immorality and unrighteous people, Èṣù Láàlù is evil and devilish, whilst Láaróyè Ajọ́ńgọ́lọ̀ Ọkùnrin Òde is an awesome and persuasive Divinity to pious and morally upright people who place a premium on justice, morality, and good character.

Èṣù is the messenger not only to the Creator Lord Olódùmarè, but also to the other Irúnmọlẹ̀s/Òrìṣàs. He is also the intermediary between Ajoguns (malevolent Spirits) to the Irúnmọlẹ̀s/Òrìṣàs (benevolent Spirits) and the ẹ̀dá èèyàn (human beings); he is the one who distributes, and also supervises the distribution of sacrifices (ẹbọ) to the Ajoguns.

Ase Èṣù

Esu isn't a malevolent force he is simply a messenger and the manager of the crossroads of life when you have two difficult decisions to make, people consider him evil because they take the wrong route within the crossroads and end up impoverished or hurt when in fact they weren't listening to the advice from Esu

Also I thought humans were called Eniyan ( Sorry for not adding accent marks ) and not eda eeyan as you said above

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by TAO11(f): 7:46pm On Sep 07, 2021
Abohboy:
Esu isn't a malevolent force he is simply a messenger and the manager of the crossroads of life when you have two difficult decisions to make, people consider him evil because they take the wrong route within the crossroads and end up impoverished or hurt when in fact they weren't listening to the advice from Esu

Also I thought humans were called Eniyan ( Sorry for not adding accent marks ) and not eda eeyan as you said above
(1) Great inputs on Èṣù.

(2) As regards Ènìyàn and Èèyàn, it is exactly one and the same word.

Linguistic devices such as contraction as well as elision abounds in Yoruba language too.

The syllable “nì” is elided&replaced with an elongation of the first syllable “È” but with the tone of the second.

Also, Egúngún (masquerade) is also Eégún. Also, Òrìṣà (deity) is also Òòṣà.

The same linguistic principle of elision and elongation applies, and there are almost innumerable examples.

Having said that, the word Ẹ̀dá (with which he prefixed Èèyàn) simply signifies “creature” or “being”.

So, Ènìyàn (human) ⇔ Ẹ̀dá-Èèyàn (human being).

(3) Lastly, Ènìyàn or Èèyàn is, at the end of the day, just one way of saying “human” in Yoruba language.

See attached for other dialectal variations of the same word in the Yoruba language.

Reference: Akinwunmi Ogundiran, “The Yoruba: A New History,” Indiana University Press, (2020), pp. 58-59.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Re: Èṣù - The Yoruba Trixter God - Spirit (dual Forces) by Abohboy: 8:10pm On Sep 07, 2021
TAO11:

(1) Great inputs on Èṣù.

(2) As regards Ènìyàn and Èèyan, it is exactly one and the same word.

Linguistic devices such as contraction as well as elision abounds in Yoruba language too.

The syllable “nì” is elided&replaced with an elongation of the first syllable “E” but with the tone of the second.

Also, Egúngún (masquerade) is also Eégún. Also, Òrìṣà (deity) is also Òòṣà.

The same linguistic principle of elision and elongation applies, and there are almost innumerable examples.

Having said that, the word Ẹ̀dá (with which he prefixed Èèyan) simply signifies “creature” or “being”.

So, Ènìyàn (human) ⇔ Ẹ̀dá-Èèyan (human being).

(3) Lastly, Ènìyàn or Èèyan is, at the end of the day, just one way of saying “human” in Yoruba language.

See attached for other dialectal variations of the same word in the Yoruba language.

Reference: Akinwunmi Ogundiran, “The Yoruba: A New History,” Indiana University Press, (2020), p. 34 of the e-book.

Cheers.

This is why I love Niger-Congo Languages when i'm done with my studies I should really start learning Yoruba and Igbo again I tried last year but it didn't go too far.

(1) (Reply)

Who Do You Think Is Going To Hell / Check This Out / Huxley-strong Men Dont Run, You Havent Answered My Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.