Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,903 members, 7,835,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? (2041 Views)

What Causes Car Battery To Temporarily Discharge / Your Fuel Pump May Not Be Bad!! / Is It Possible To Drive In Nigeria With An EU Driving Licence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by Kelvin30286063(m): 6:42pm On Jul 08, 2021
I believe we learn everyday and your car is one very good teacher. We can only pray our cars don't teach us a hard lesson like mine did yesterday.
I took a short trip that is not more than 30 minutes yesterday and on my way I noticed my car suddenly shutdown when I was about to overtake a truck. I had to quickly park at the other side of the road before it came to a stand still.

I took out my scanner and checked for error but no error code came except for the O2 sensor issue I've had for a while.

With scanner coming up with nothing. I immediately became worried and confused cuz that scanner has always given me peace of mind... I mean at least I know what is wrong with the car but yesterday was different.

I tried to start the car but it won't crank. Just a click sound from somewhere in the starter after it makes an attempt to start. I was like... Oh shit. My starter has finally given up.
Long story short, I got some guys to push the car off the road into a petrol station and called a electrician but since I was on a trip, he couldn't come.

I had to pay the night guard at the petrol station to keep an eye on the car while I called my brother to come pick me (luckily I was close to my destination already)

Earlier this morning, I took a electrician to the spot, with the belief that my starter is bad... Another spirit told me to take a fully charged battery with me which I did. On getting there, we tried to start the car, same issue, the rewire wanted to start unbolting the starter but I told him to wait while we try with this new battery. Lo and behold, we replaced the battery, the car fired once and up till now, it works fine.

My issue is that I only bought this battery less than 5 months ago and based on my mechanic's recommendation, he said solite is the best! I bought solute! Just imagine what happened now. Less than 5 months later!

My question is, what could have damaged the battery? Can it be that my alternator is not performing well or the battery is not just good?
Also, what type of batter will you guys recommend as the best among the best!

Thank you all and God bless.
Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by AutoBodyParts(m): 8:18pm On Jul 08, 2021
Very depending on the Battery. I'd suggest you buy it yourself next time. Ask the seller not to give you Fake China
Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:34pm On Jul 08, 2021
AutoBodyParts:
Very depending on the Battery. I'd suggest you buy it yourself next time. Ask the seller not to give you Fake China
Okay, thank you very much
Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by homeboy205: 9:21pm On Jul 08, 2021
I use solite and it’s been over a year now…

Try checking your alternator

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by okoroemeka(m): 9:52pm On Jul 08, 2021
AutoBodyParts:
I bought 75amp solite #25k in December but the fvcking battery is weak now,I will just buy China battery next time,no need of hype

4 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by princejones(m): 9:57pm On Jul 08, 2021
Solite is a good battery, may be you bought from stock that has overstayed in warehouse and nearing expiring date

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by AutoBodyParts(m): 8:30am On Jul 09, 2021
okoroemeka:
I bought 75amp solite #25k in December but the fvcking battery is weak now,I will just buy China battery next time,no need of hype
All of them are China, don't buy using name. Just ask for the best that will serve. Nobody in Nigeria imports Auto parts from South Korea

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by BamBamK: 9:45am On Jul 09, 2021
or just contact deltel here and buy trane.... d peace of mind da ba3 gives is unexplainable

Kelvin30286063:

Okay, thank you very much
Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by Blacklaurel: 9:53pm On Jul 09, 2021
Try to rule out alternator problem before buying another battery.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by Bigwin2018: 11:15pm On Jul 09, 2021
Whenever you want to buy new car battery make sure you buy the one written MADE IN KOREA and never KOREA TECH. Am writing from experience, Korea tech won't even last you six months.
Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:23am On Jul 10, 2021
Bigwin2018:
Whenever you want to buy new car battery make sure you buy the one written MADE IN KOREA and never KOREA TECH. Am writing from experience, Korea tech won't even last you six months.
Thank you
Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:23am On Jul 10, 2021
Blacklaurel:
Try to rule out alternator problem before buying another battery.
Okay, will buy an alternator tester
Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by homeboy205: 8:13am On Jul 10, 2021
okoroemeka:

There are circumstances that drain battery faster.

Same thing happened to A friend we bought the solite together over a year ago, but his car fan was connected directly which means the thermostat is not there anymore. This put very big load on the battery which kills it faster than mine. We got to know when the second battery he bought lasted another 4 months

4 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by Guardrail9(m): 5:26am On Mar 14, 2022
I have been using korea tech for close ton2 yrs, recommended to me by a dealer friend, it works fine
Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by EngRichie: 7:50am On Mar 14, 2022
It's possible even same day you bought it if the charging system is bad (depending on the charging system fault).

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by endemophy: 11:35am On Mar 14, 2022
Bros please how much did you buy your scanner and how does it work
Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by Dozieson(m): 11:42am On Mar 14, 2022
homeboy205:

There are circumstances that drain battery faster.

Same thing happened to A friend we bought the solite together over a year ago, but his car fan was connected directly which means the thermostat is not there anymore. This put very big load on the battery which kills it faster than mine. We got to know when the second battery he bought lasted another 4 months

This is not totally true. I used a Camry with bypass fan and I change battery once in 2 years or more
Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by Conner44: 1:40pm On Mar 14, 2022
Op your kazeem told you to buy solIte, you went and bought solUte lol now you are looking for SOLUTion.

try checking your harness connections from the chassis (ground) to your battery's negative terminal and from your alternator to your battery's positive terminal. If any of them are not tight or are corroded you will experience charging issues even with a good battery and alternator.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by oweniwe(m): 11:55pm On Mar 14, 2022
Dozieson:

This is not totally true. I used a Camry with bypass fan and I change battery once in 2 years or more

Please go put your thermostat back.

The cars that are running with their factory configured wiring in Nigeria are not driving on rocket fuel

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by sooperrescue(m): 12:14am On Mar 15, 2022
All batteries sold in Nigeria are made to our specifications: expired and fakes. The cartons and stickers for the batteries are produced in Nigeria. Therefore you get what you see.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A 5 Months Old Battery To Be Bad? by Dozieson(m): 7:22am On Mar 15, 2022
oweniwe:

Please go put your thermostat back.

The cars that are running with their factory configured wiring in Nigeria are not driving on rocket fuel

Well, my car is hitting the middle temperature within few minutes of driving so I am really not bothered about engine hitting running temperature.

(1) (Reply)

Fullest Option 2005 Toyota Camry XLE @ 2.2M ❌❌Sold out❌❌ / Sell Us Your Distress Car,accident Car,,junk Car Or Scrap In Lagos / Distress Sale: TOYOTA COROLLA 2006 MODEL At A Giveaway Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.