Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,959 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Does Keeping Generator Fuel Tap Halfway Reduce Fuel Consumption? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Does Keeping Generator Fuel Tap Halfway Reduce Fuel Consumption? (1896 Views)

10 Countries With The Highest Electricity Consumption / Battery-free Electronics Breakthrough Could Radically Reduce E-waste In Landfill / How To Monitor Your Vehicle Fuel Consumption Either As One Or Fleet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Keeping Generator Fuel Tap Halfway Reduce Fuel Consumption? by MyX1: 9:25pm On Jul 08, 2021
DOES KEEPING GENERATOR FUEL TAP HALFWAY REDUCE FUEL CONSUMPTION?

The answer is NO, it doesn't work.

You may think It's working, but the truth is it doesn't work. It's just working on your psychology, but mechanically it's =0.

What actually determines your Gen Fuel consumption are as follows..

1. The speed at which your Gen is running.

2. The amount of load it carries at a point in time.

3. The condition of your Caburator.

A. If your Gen set is too high, it will definitely consume more fuel than the one running at a normal speed of 800-1500rpm or 2500-3000rpm depending on the Generator type.

B. If you allow your Gen to steam without load. Then the Fuel consumption will be reduced to the optimal level. And that changes when you apply load to the Gen.

C. When your Caburator kit/components are ok i.e through without blockage of any type and the Air intake is not restricted by anything, the consumption will be fairly ok. But when the system is bad and the air filter is blocked... your Gen will be struggling to work which will automatically translate to more fuel consumption etc.

Finally, there is what is called Fuel chamber in a Caburator. That is where the quantity of fuel that your Gen needs to work with rest. In that chamber we have what is called floating pin.
The floating pin opens up immediately the level of fuel in the chamber reduces to allow more fuel in so as to enable your Gen set to continue to work efficiently without jerking. Once the level of fuel in the chamber goes bellow the normal level, your Gen will start to jerk until it stops i.e when the Fuel finally exhaust.

In summary, what you see in the picture doesn't determine your Gen Fuel consumption, it can only have a little effect if your Caburator is bad and overflowing. But as for Fuel consumption? It's a no no.

To be continued.....

1 Like

Re: Does Keeping Generator Fuel Tap Halfway Reduce Fuel Consumption? by nifemi25(m): 9:32pm On Jul 08, 2021
Thanks for enlightening it..

2 Likes

Re: Does Keeping Generator Fuel Tap Halfway Reduce Fuel Consumption? by horlahwaley(m): 7:40am On Jul 09, 2021
MyX1:
DOES KEEPING GENERATOR FUEL TAP HALFWAY REDUCE FUEL CONSUMPTION?

The answer is NO, it doesn't work.

You may think It's working, but the truth is it doesn't work. It's just working on your psychology, but mechanically it's =0.

What actually determines your Gen Fuel consumption are as follows..

1. The speed at which your Gen is running.

2. The amount of load it carries at a point in time.

3. The condition of your Caburator.

A. If your Gen set is too high, it will definitely consume more fuel than the one running at a normal speed of 800-1500rpm or 2500-3000rpm depending on the Generator type.

B. If you allow your Gen to steam without load. Then the Fuel consumption will be reduced to the optimal level. And that changes when you apply load to the Gen.

C. When your Caburator kit/components are ok i.e through without blockage of any type and the Air intake is not restricted by anything, the consumption will be fairly ok. But when the system is bad and the air filter is blocked... your Gen will be struggling to work which will automatically translate to more fuel consumption etc.

Finally, there is what is called Fuel chamber in a Caburator. That is where the quantity of fuel that your Gen needs to work with rest. In that chamber we have what is called floating pin.
The floating pin opens up immediately the level of fuel in the chamber reduces to allow more fuel in so as to enable your Gen set to continue to work efficiently without jerking. Once the level of fuel in the chamber goes bellow the normal level, your Gen will start to jerk until it stops i.e when the Fuel finally exhaust.

In summary, what you see in the picture doesn't determine your Gen Fuel consumption, it can only have a little effect if your Caburator is bad and overflowing. But as for Fuel consumption? It's a no no.

To be continued.....
woow. Thanks op. Am guilty of this
Re: Does Keeping Generator Fuel Tap Halfway Reduce Fuel Consumption? by DrProf(m): 7:46pm On Jul 28, 2021
Just another very good question: I don't normally close the fuel tap because if I do I sometimes forget to open it after switching on the gen. Therefore, I prefer to leave the fuel tap on always irrespective of whether the gen is on or off and I have been doing this for 3 years during the lifetime of this my present generator but gen repairers always advise me to close the fuel tap and I have never obeyed this instruction.

I will like to know if there are consequences associated with my behaviour towards the fuel tap or what they are saying is just a myth seeing that I am yet to have carburettor problems with this gen or any other fuel related issue.

(1) (Reply)

What Humans Would Look Life If They Evolved To Survive Car Accidents / White New And Sealed Blackberry 9800 Torch / Become More Employable With Accounting Software Packages And Earn Big!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.