Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,874 members, 7,831,838 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? (1534 Views)

Shipment From Usa : Www.facebook.com/bvshipping / Car Shipment From Medicine Hat,alberta Province Of Canada? / Cost Of Shipment Of 2003 Passat From Uk To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by 735i(m): 8:37am On May 11, 2011
Hi Peeps.

I need sincere advice from u guys pls.
I gave a dealer 1.2M (xclusive of clearing) to bring in an '04 EOD. Credited his acct exactly 2 months ago. The Car is to come in from Canada and he promised me d car would come in last week. Now he's telling me the car would come in 2 weeks time. Does it take up to ten weeks to get a car from Canada?
What papers or proof can i ask for to confirm the car has actually left Canada?
Also is it possible to start clearing process before the ship berths so i can hasten up the clearing to avoid accruing demurage charges.

Peeps, pls advice urgently,
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by earthrealm(m): 8:57am On May 11, 2011
ask him to scan and mail u the bill of lading.
it will contain inof as per the vehicle make/weight/ship loaded, date of loading etc.
also ask him the name of the ship/shipping line. u can use it to track the ships movement/location online, or check in local news papers for the various ships schedules.

nope, u cant do any thing to hasten the clearing process, the car has to be on ground b4 any form of clearing can commence.
note some agents still need the bill of lading to clear the car, so its in ur best interest to ask him for it asap.

cheers n good luck,
i hv been in ur shoes b4, i know how it hurts plus anxiety.mine took abt 11wks, from the US!!!, N I WAS THINKING IT WUD BE ONLY 4 OR 5WKS AT MOST!!
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by carmattaz(m): 11:04am On May 11, 2011
THERE ARE THINGS YOU CAN REQUEST TO CONFIRM IF HE HAS BUY YOU A CAR OR NOT ASK OF THE TITLE AND PICS EVEN THOUGH RECEIPT HE USE IN PURCHASE, YOU CAN ASK HIM TO SCAN IT TO YOU THROUGH YOUR EMAIL. ATTIMES THERE ARE DELAYED IN SHIPPING AND CANADA AS I KNOWN DON,T SHIP A CAR RORO, THEY SHIP CONTAINER, MAYBE YOUR CAR WILL BE CONTAINERISE WITH SOMEOTHER CARS, THAT MEANS YOU CAN NOT CLEAR YOUR CAR ALONE, BEFORE YOU CAN START UP CLEARING ISSUE, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE BILL OF LADEN.
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by Emperoh(m): 11:13am On May 11, 2011
Poster,

U need not worry much. U will know when things are not going well.
These are the things you should ask for.
Vehicle Title
Purchase Receipt
Ship Booking Receipt(Dock Receipt)

Once u have these, u can follow thru with the shipping company by tracking the vessel of its roro or the container if it's Containerised.
Because you are shipping from Canada, i believe it is containerised as i do not know of any RORO transit in canada.

This also implies that your unit have been paired with other cars belonging to someone else.
Clarify from your dealer to know the status.
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by 735i(m): 11:44am On May 11, 2011
Thanks guys.

Emperoh:

Poster,

Vehicle Title
Purchase Receipt
Ship Booking Receipt(Dock Receipt)

Will ask for these documents.

@ emperor pls any idea on how to track the the container? can this be done online?
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by BizBooks(m): 12:43pm On May 11, 2011
@ 735i,

We cannot give you very useful advice without knowing the mode of shipment. So find out from the dealer if the car is coming via RORO or container. If it is coming via RORO then you can easily clear it by yourself. But if it is coming via Container, then it will be very difficult for you to clear it.

If I'm not mistaken, the Nigerian Customs will not release a container until the duty on all the cars are paid. This means that they may not release your car if you come with payment for your car alone. In that case, only the dealer or his agent can clear the container after making full payment for all it's contents.
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by Fhemmmy: 1:12pm On May 11, 2011
[b]Shipping from Canada is a different cookie from the American shipment.
Can the shipment from Canada take that long? YES, it can.

Emperor has asked you to confirm some documents and those kinda document would only be applicable, if you are the only one that used the container or if you are doing it via RoRo . . .Yes, RoRo, cos there are RoRo from Canada, but from a specific province which is the hub for Canada.

When you are sharing a container, there is little to the document that you could be given, you would be able to get the followings:
The Ownership of the ride - Title
Receipt of Purchase
If shipped with reliable shipping agents, they will give you the container number of the BOL number and the site for the shipping line, and you would be able to track it yourself on the internet . . .but if you ship with shipper that has no clue, then, you just have to depend on his information.

Also, when you are consolidating, 99% of the time, you would not be able to do the clearing yourself, as you might be sharing with another 3 r 4 people, and why would someone that has 3 rides in the container gives you the container to clear using your own agent, when he could clear himself too . . . .also, most of the time, the shipping agent do uses their own agent and coordinate the clearing fees and just pay the clearing agent and you would be called upon to pick the ride afterwards.

Also, please prepare to pay higher clearing cost, cos clearing of rides in container is more expensive than RoRo.

So in all this, relax and worry less, but ask the dealer some questions and also ask from what province and city was it loaded.

Good luck[/b]
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by breathless(m): 1:51pm On May 11, 2011
@ poster, frm all u said, seems u did not have a pix of wat he`s suppose 2 sell. Hate 2 sound dis, but be prepared 4 a shocker.
Likelihood is dat ur car has arrived, but accidented. He could be fixing it (2 wks is wat most panelbeaters take 2 work on them) and buying time.
From my sour experience, the car was delivered 6 months after. (after threatening 2 go 2 EFCC)
I pray dis is not ur portion.
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by Fhemmmy: 2:03pm On May 11, 2011
breathless:

@ poster, frm all u said, seems u did not have a pix of wat he`s suppose 2 sell. Hate 2 sound dis, but be prepared 4 a shocker.
Likelihood is dat your car has arrived, but accidented. He could be fixing it (2 wks is wat most panelbeaters take 2 work on them) and buying time.
From my sour experience, the car was delivered 6 months after. (after threatening 2 go 2 EFCC)
I pray dis is not your portion.

I doubt that.
Like i mentioned earlier . . . Shipping from Canada takes longer than American shipment and that is why when i give deals from Canada to my clients, i give them 6 weeks after the ship have sailed . . . .
So no need to scare the buyer unnecessarily
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by 735i(m): 2:24pm On May 11, 2011
@
BizBooks:

@ 735i,

We cannot give you very useful advice without knowing the mode of shipment. So find out from the dealer if the car is coming via RORO or container. If it is coming via RORO then you can easily clear it by yourself. But if it is coming via Container, then it will be very difficult for you to clear it.

If I'm not mistaken, the Nigerian Customs will not release a container until the duty on all the cars are paid. This means that they may not release your car if you come with payment for your car alone. In that case, only the dealer or his agent can clear the container after making full payment for all it's contents.

There are four cars in the container. My dealer says there was some delay in getting the last car to complete the container,
Fhemmmy:

Shipping from Canada is a different cookie from the American shipment.
Can the shipment from Canada take that long? YES, it can.

[b]
Also, please prepare to pay higher clearing cost, cos clearing of rides in container is more expensive than RoRo.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

So in all this, relax and worry less, but ask the dealer some questions and also ask from what province and city was it loaded.

Good luck[/b]

Like how much are we looking at for this model? any idea?

breathless:

Likelihood is dat your car has arrived, but accidented. He could be fixing it (2 wks is wat most panelbeaters take 2 work on them) and buying time.
I pray dis is not your portion.

Don't think he would do that. But then you never know with people. There's not much i can do about this now is there?

Thanks people. I still wonder why i got into this in the first place embarassed embarassed
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by Fhemmmy: 2:36pm On May 11, 2011
735 i:

@
There are four cars in the container. My dealer says there was some delay in getting the last car to complete the container,
Like how much are we looking at for this model? any idea?

Don't think he would do that. But then you never know with people. There's not much i can do about this now is there?

Thanks people. I still wonder why i got into this in the first place embarassed embarassed

That explained why the delay, so you have nothing to worry about then.
Here is a possible timetable . . . . . it takes 2 weeks to have enough rides to full the container.
Takes another one week to get it to the port.
Takes 12 days to get to Spain or other European nation where the transit would happen.
The containers sits for like a week or sometimes even more - Especially with Zim shipping coy (they could be annoying)
Takes another 12 days to get to Nigeria.
Then, another weeks for clearing.
So once again, you have nothing to worry about . . . . . I do ship out of Canada on a regular basis.

If the Clearing agent know what they are doing, you should be ready with 250K Naira for the clearing - If your ride and the container is not over loaded with other personal effect, cos the customs will charge for all that and the cost will be shared among y'all.

Good luck

You got into it because you are looking for a good deal, and again, it is not out of the ordinary, and that statement is not even needed, except there is more to this than you make us to blv . . . you paid him 1.2M Naira to buy and ship and you will be clearing with 250K Naira, and you wanna complain about why you got into a deal that you will be paying only 1.45M Naira for a 2004 Honda Accord? . . . I think the answer to your questions lied within you.
So say thanks to the dude and be happy . . . he has saved you nothing less than 200K Naira
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by 735i(m): 3:52pm On May 11, 2011
@ Phemmy,

Okiy Doiky. thanks a bunch. I'll just have to wait then. Had to leave my ride for Ol boy since i'm getting this one for him. Guess cabbing and biking has really got on my nerves.

Thanks again. Will let you guys know how it goes. wink
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by Fhemmmy: 4:32pm On May 11, 2011
735 i:

@ Phemmy,

Okiy Doiky. thanks a bunch. I'll just have to wait then. Had to leave my ride for Ol boy since i'm getting this one for him. Guess cabbing and biking has really got on my nerves.

Dont worry, i am sure all will be well and turn out good . . . . .
Re: Pre-shipment: Have I Been Conned? by dayleke: 3:01pm On Aug 06, 2020
735i:

@ Phemmy,

Hey bro.
So how did it finally end if I may ask?

I know it's been long but did you get your ride?

(1) (Reply)

SOLD !SOLD! SOLD! Reg 03 Honda Crv Price N1.250m @ Banix Autos 07044024051 / Affordable Range Rover Hse For Sale / Clean Title Tokunbo 2004 Volkswagen Toureg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.