Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,785 members, 7,851,658 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:58 AM

PIB: Like Sugar, Like Cement, Dangote To Dominate The Oil Industry - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / PIB: Like Sugar, Like Cement, Dangote To Dominate The Oil Industry (14809 Views)

Cement: Dangote, Lafarge BUA Post High Profit Margins / The Time It Would Take Dangote To Pay Off His ₦792m Bugatti Veyron / Fatima Dangote To Wed Jamil Abubakar (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PIB: Like Sugar, Like Cement, Dangote To Dominate The Oil Industry by stepaside2: 8:16pm On Jul 13, 2021
grandstar:

Singapore, a tiny country with only 5.7m refines 1.5m barrels of crude oil daily, most for export. This should tell you something.

Nigeria should by now be refining nothing less 2.5m barrels a day but barely refines any. It's job now should be how to improve capacity to 2.5m or more, for Nigeria to become the energy hub of Nigeria.

Instead, this does the opposite

If he needs market protection, an import duty should suffice. That's how it's done. This will make sure he isn't slaughtered easily by competition but also ensuring he does not overcharge consumers, monopolize the industry and scare off other investors.

It is also not "necessary at this stage of our development" . That's the argument that had been given these last 40 years with nothing to show for it. A fully deregulated and liberalized oil industry is the best for all stakeholders.
So when Nigeria makes the move to add refining capacity, we take exception. Dangote's refinery in Lagos will be a 650k bbls per day facility. The Rabiu refinery in Akwa Ibom will be 200k bbls per day. There are several modular refineries already in operation. NNPC is trying to revive all existing refineries which will add another 400k+ bbls per day. It is a build up that should be good news but what do I know.

When refinery licences were issued to more than 20 entities that did very little other than wanting to use the licences to engage in the rent seeking importation business while not growing our refining capacity, I knew the govt had to step in to incentivise those who commit to building refineries. Govt should go ahead and not listen to the noise emanating from some quarters. Sometimes, that is what it takes to forcefully move the country forward.
Re: PIB: Like Sugar, Like Cement, Dangote To Dominate The Oil Industry by nograv: 8:17pm On Jul 13, 2021
stepaside2:

Are we not tired of this Northern thing? Since the return to democracy in 1999, Southerners have ruled for 14 of the 22 years and poised to return to power in 2 years' time. The issues are beyond this ethnic thing

Now I know you are a zombie...

Are you mad? The clock doesn't start at 1999.

What of the Abacha era? The Babangida era? The Shagari era? Buhari's own era prior to this one.

Notice you said since democracy in 1999. Thats right Southerners returned us to democracy and respect democratic rule. Every time it has been Northerners dragging us into authoritarian dictatorships and dragging the economy backwards..

Mtcheww.. try again with your lies and revisionist history.. 1999 wow, when Naija became independent in 1960..

Honestly, the sooner this country splits between North and South the better..
Re: PIB: Like Sugar, Like Cement, Dangote To Dominate The Oil Industry by stepaside2: 8:34pm On Jul 13, 2021
nograv:

Now I know you are a zombie...

Are you mad? The clock doesn't start at 1999.

What of the Abacha era? The Babangida era? The Shagari era? Buhari's own era prior to this one.

Notice you said since democracy in 1999. Thats right Southerners returned us to democracy and respect democratic rule. Every time it has been Northerners dragging us into authoritarian dictatorships and dragging the economy backwards..

Mtcheww.. try again with your lies and revisionist history.. 1999 wow, when Naija became independent in 1960..

Honestly, the sooner this country splits between North and South the better..
Did anybody stop the Southerners from shooting their way to power? I referenced 1999 because it was the restart of unbroken democratic rule for a solid 22 years, enough time to measure some progress. 14 of those years were overseen by Southerners. I put that forward to remind you that this Southern/ Northern shout is a symptom of a deeper problem and not the main issue.

Let me ask you a question. Why can't the South ever unite and speak with one voice? Something as simple as that has been difficult to achieve, yet you think having a Southern country will solve all the problems. You better wake up. Hope is not lost though, seeing the unity displayed of recent by Southern Governors.
Re: PIB: Like Sugar, Like Cement, Dangote To Dominate The Oil Industry by nograv: 8:54pm On Jul 13, 2021
stepaside2:

Did anybody stop the Southerners from shooting their way to power? I referenced 1999 because it was the restart of unbroken democratic rule for a solid 22 years, enough time to measure some progress. 14 of those years were overseen by Southerners. I put that forward to remind you that this Southern/ Northern shout is a symptom of a deeper problem and not the main issue.

Let me ask you a question. Why can't the South ever unite and speak with one voice? Something as simple as that has been difficult to achieve, yet you think having a Southern country will solve all the problems. You better wake up. Hope is not lost though, seeing the unity displayed of recent by Southern Governors.

The North comes under the umbrella of Arewa, a legacy of the efforts of Ahmedo Bello. Aided by the legacy of the older Sokoto Caliphate.

The South was never culturally or even economically unified, but by virtue of the British legacy of colonialism was left more westernised with greater respect for meritocracy and rule of law. The Igbos in particular value individualistic success and democracy, which is a legacy of their political structures prior to colonialism.

The South may not be unified, but have more in common than with their counterparts in the North. I have said it before, in the diaspora I have seen Igbos and Yoruba happily work together. I have rarely ever encountered a Northerner in gainful employment in the diaspora. I met one and he was a bus driver in Ireland..

Those 14 years where we saw great progress was due to Southerners which is something you refuse to acknowledge.

I am past the point of trying to make you see reason. I care little for Northerners and I want nothing to do with them.. A unified state of Southern Nigeria may not be perfect, but it would be a damn sight better than the Nigeria we currently have. Bedevilled by marauding herdsmen, Islamic terrorism, Northern ethnic nepotism, Northern corruption, media suppression, economic decline and a general breakdown in rule of law.

Look at Chad and Niger, you have a great idea of what a Northern Nigeria will be. Look at Ghana and see what a Southern Nigeria is likely to become.. I am done with Northerners, the era of One Nigeria is OVER.. let's go our separate ways and be done with it.
Re: PIB: Like Sugar, Like Cement, Dangote To Dominate The Oil Industry by stepaside2: 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2021
nograv:

The North comes under the umbrella of Arewa, a legacy of the efforts of Ahmedo Bello. Aided by the legacy of the older Sokoto Caliphate.

The South was never culturally or even economically unified, but by virtue of the British legacy of colonialism was left more westernised with greater respect for meritocracy and rule of law. The Igbos in particular value individualistic success and democracy, which is a legacy of their political structures prior to colonialism.

The South may not be unified, but have more in common than with their counterparts in the North. I have said it before, in the diaspora I have seen Igbos and Yoruba happily work together. I have rarely ever encountered a Northerner in gainful employment in the diaspora. I met one and he was a bus driver in Ireland..

Those 14 years where we saw great progress was due to Southerners which is something you refuse to acknowledge.

I am past the point of trying to make you see reason. I care little for Northerners and I want nothing to do with them.. A unified state of Southern Nigeria may not be perfect, but it would be a damn sight better than the Nigeria we currently have. Bedevilled by marauding herdsmen, Islamic terrorism, Northern ethnic nepotism, Northern corruption, media suppression, economic decline and a general breakdown in rule of law.

Look at Chad and Niger, you have a great idea of what a Northern Nigeria will be. Look at Ghana and see what a Southern Nigeria is likely to become.. I am done with Northerners, the era of One Nigeria is OVER.. let's go our separate ways and be done with it.
I respect your wish frankly. I do not support a forceful union but was pointing to the illusion that a progressive Southern Nigeria is hampered by a North you describe with so many unkind words. The North is not as monolithic as you think. There are also many ethnic groups that make it up and it is not fair to lump them all together.

Similar adjectives you used for the North can conveniently fit the South too. The so called Northerners choose to stay in country and pursue careers in the civil service, Army and the likes while many Southerners choose to travel abroad to go after more glamorous pursuits. It is a choice with their own consequences.

We will soon have a Southern President and I can bet you that 90% of these agitations will melt away. It is the way of we humans.
Re: PIB: Like Sugar, Like Cement, Dangote To Dominate The Oil Industry by nograv: 9:37pm On Jul 13, 2021
stepaside2:

I respect your wish frankly. I do not support a forceful union but was pointing to the illusion that a progressive Southern Nigeria is hampered by a North you describe with so many unkind words. The North is not as monolithic as you think. There are also many ethnic groups that make it up and it is not fair to lump them all together.

Similar adjectives you used for the North can conveniently fit the South too. The so called Northerners choose to stay in country and pursue careers in the civil service, Army and the likes while many Southerners choose to travel abroad to go after more glamorous pursuits. It is a choice with their own consequences.

We will soon have a Southern President and I can bet you that 90% of these agitations will melt away. It is the way of we humans.

There is no illusion, Northerners in part because of religion are a regressive people. Higher levels of illiteracy, sky high birthrates and astounding levels of poverty.

I do not care whether there are sub groups like shuwa Arabs or Kanuri or anything else in between. I know that every time a Southerner has taken the helm and pushed the nation forward, a Northerner has subsequently taken us backward.

As for leaving being a choice. Southerners are leaving as poor Northern leadership has run this country into the ground economically. You are indeed right Northerners pursue careers in the civil service, army etc. This is because such roles are given to them on a platter due to ethnic nepotism. They do not attain these roles on merit and their poor performance in such roles is the reason why Nigeria looks the way it does today. Was it not only recently that naval roles went solely to Northern recruits.

Say what you like about Yoruba or Igbo at least they respect meritocracy, as in the best man or woman for the job. Northerners do not and that is why we should not share a state together.. It is why your people won't even attempt to gain work outside of Nigeria, because without quota systems and ethnic nepotism your people would struggle in a system largely based on competence. The fact you don't even appreciate this shows how ignorant you folks are.

I wouldn't be so sure a Southern president would cut it now. Take Tinubu who is the Northern elite's first choice. The average Yoruba doesn't care for him and knows he is man who can be bought. He would happily sell out his own people for financial gain. If he won, I doubt calls for succession would die down. With respect to the South East they no longer care for the machinations of the federal government, they are just waiting for a referendum to leave..

Good luck Northerner, the sun sets on any people who only have force as a means to secure loyalty.

When that day of reckoning comes remember this exchange..
Re: PIB: Like Sugar, Like Cement, Dangote To Dominate The Oil Industry by ChiefSosa(m): 9:38pm On Jul 13, 2021
JohnnyBling:

How do you mean by the last part of the comment. What does it entail?
The cash out will be MASSIVE. His phones will just be vibrating with alerts till the batteries will run down. Then, imagine when our Nigerian so called big men and politicians now get involved?! They'll turn everything shady due to the HUGE money involved.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PIB: Like Sugar, Like Cement, Dangote To Dominate The Oil Industry by grandstar(m): 10:09pm On Jul 13, 2021
stepaside2:

So when Nigeria makes the move to add refining capacity, we take exception. Dangote's refinery in Lagos will be a 650k bbls per day facility. The Rabiu refinery in Akwa Ibom will be 200k bbls per day. There are several modular refineries already in operation. NNPC is trying to revive all existing refineries which will add another 400k+ bbls per day. It is a build up that should be good news but what do I know.

When refinery licences were issued to more than 20 entities that did very little other than wanting to use the licences to engage in the rent seeking importation business while not growing our refining capacity, I knew the govt had to step in to incentivise those who commit to building refineries. Govt should go ahead and not listen to the noise emanating from some quarters. Sometimes, that is what it takes to forcefully move the country forward.

Who told you that is what is necessary to move the economy forward? Is it an Economist like Charles Soludo or Pat Utomi?

Head knowledge isn't economics unfortunately. There should be some import duty to create a level playing field and keep him on his toes. No Economist worth his salt would support muzzling competition. None.

They are also wary of monopolies and duopolies especiay where the dominant players have acquired it through brutal anti-competition tactics. That's exactly what Dangote plans to do.
Re: PIB: Like Sugar, Like Cement, Dangote To Dominate The Oil Industry by stepaside2: 3:23am On Jul 14, 2021
grandstar:

Who told you that is what is necessary to move the economy forward? Is it an Economist like Charles Soludo or Pat Utomi?

Head knowledge isn't economics unfortunately. There should be some import duty to create a level playing field and keep him on his toes. No Economist worth his salt would support muzzling competition. None.

They are also wary of monopolies and duopolies especiay where the dominant players have acquired it through brutal anti-competition tactics. That's exactly what Dangote plans to do.
Competition based on unmitigated and unchecked continuous importation of something we can produce locally despite all the downsides including putting pressure on forex?

There are tons of people doing good business in Nigeria. Cosmas Maduka the Coscharis guy, Allen Onyema the Air Peace guy, Innosson Motors to mention a few. These guys earn my respect because they grow the local industries and employ loads of people. Their businesses save us forex (perhaps except for the air peace guy, but he is striving to do much of his aircraft maintenance in Naija).

Again, the likes of Tony Elumelu and Abdul Samad Rabiu are gradually competing with Dangote in several areas. No one is denying them the opportunity. We need more of those people to commit to doing big business and expanding the economy, not cry babies who see only one person as the source of hindrance to doing business. Be bold, take risks, build local industries, invest and be patient. You will win some and lose some, that is life. Eventually, you will get there. I am not a fan of the crying victim. I make it work by daring. We need more of that mindset not less.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Credit Card In Nigeria: Advantages And Disadvantages / Cbn’s FOREX Restrictions And Government’s Obsession With Dollars / Onion Business Is Very Lucrative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.