Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules (24069 Views)

CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" / CBN Freeze Adebutu Kessington's Bank Accounts For "Tax Fraud" - Sahara Reporters / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by June12Buhari(f): 11:49pm On Jul 24, 2021
At federal high court, have you forgotten? This is Nigeria, where my primary school ruler can even rule grin
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by Antoeni(m): 11:49pm On Jul 24, 2021
Even in fraudulent and dubious cases
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by emmietynyo(m): 11:49pm On Jul 24, 2021
Okay
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by lexy2014: 11:55pm On Jul 24, 2021
davodyguy:

The court may not know. More so, the Magistrate may be ignorant of the repealed law he/she replied on before granting post no debit order

Which law was repealed and how did d court not no that it cannot order banks to freeze bank accounts?
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by nedekid: 11:58pm On Jul 24, 2021
Good one, but what happens if there is fraud commited against and account. The money is moved to another. Does it mean the beneficiary account cannot be frozen to recover the stolen money?
Lawyers in the house pls explain.
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by pelmart: 12:02am On Jul 25, 2021
True!
That is why Insurance Savings and Investment plan safeguard and protect all their clients.
We are never obligated to report and it is never possible for any government anywhere in the world to take custody of your Insurance Investment.

Insurance Investment and savings Security is the Way
#Insurance #SureClient

holuwajobar:
Banks are no longer trustworthy nowadays. They don't fight for their customers.... Any small thing, them don freeze acct.... No be so them dey do things na
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by DonCandido(f): 12:14am On Jul 25, 2021
Blaksheep:

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2020/10/09/magistrates-ig-have-no-powers-to-freeze-bank-accounts-court-rules/

Whoops there it is finally!

Hallelujah!

Let the flood of litigations commence. The police are in trouble!!!

Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by xandy84: 12:18am On Jul 25, 2021
You can make your point without the picture. Show respect to the dead please...

Investigative:
My opinion

1 Like

Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by anambraamaka: 12:23am On Jul 25, 2021
Facts
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by Lymasaba(m): 1:08am On Jul 25, 2021
Investigative:
My opinion
Your opinion is not empiric as we have very few Fulani in the south
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by chloride6: 1:46am On Jul 25, 2021
The fact that you need a court to spell this out is worrisome..
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by ignis: 2:19am On Jul 25, 2021
Mayng01:
That is court’s ruling. Patiently waiting for Buhari’s ruling

e tire me...
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by sniperr007(m): 2:40am On Jul 25, 2021
holuwajobar:
Banks are no longer trustworthy nowadays. They don't fight for their customers.... Any small thing, them don freeze acct.... No be so them dey do things na

Suppose sanction that magistrate court for doing pass it's jurisdiction.

The judge no Sabi e place or what
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by EagleNest(m): 3:30am On Jul 25, 2021
How come the police and the magistrate don't know that the law has been repealed. And both are interpreter and enforcer of law respectively. Even the four banks too with all their legal units also failed to grasp this seemingly basic law. I'm not getting it
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by Nobody: 4:05am On Jul 25, 2021
Blaksheep:

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2020/10/09/magistrates-ig-have-no-powers-to-freeze-bank-accounts-court-rules/

You misinterpreted the judgment mate. Magistrate court can still grant interim and interlocutory preservative orders.

The gamut of that judgment is that magistrate can no longer grant bankers order, cos the law supporting it is dead.

You can not grant applications based on dead laws, to wit pursuant to a non-existing and/or repealed Section 7 of the Banker's Order Act 1847 (42 VICO11).

But can you grant one in the inherent powers of the court?

Absolutely!

But there are conditions precedent.

You folks should stop misinterpreting case laws. You can read the judgement delivered on the 24th day of May 2019 by Hon.Justice. K. A Alogba (C.J) Lagos State in Re:Suit No. LD/1961GCM/2017 between Clement Osemene & 5Ors. v. Guaranty Trust Bank Plc. & 6.

Shalom

1 Like

Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by mastertek: 4:09am On Jul 25, 2021
I always think, there should be a penalty for something like this, they can't just be claim ignorance to be illegal stuff.

If it's ordinary citizens, no excuses for ignorance of law, and those who are to be custodian of the law break it anyhow

EagleNest:
How come the police and the magistrate don't know that the law has been repealed. And both are interpreter and enforcer of law respectively. Even the four banks too with all their legal units also failed to grasp this seemingly basic law. I'm not getting it
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by opius: 4:15am On Jul 25, 2021
Since 2019...
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by Nobody: 4:15am On Jul 25, 2021
DonCandido:

Whoops there it is finally!

Hallelujah!

Let the flood of litigations commence. The police are in trouble!!!

We actually sued a bank last month for breach of fiduciary and quiscecare duty of care in this regard, and the matter was settled out of court sharply. What happened, in this case, was that the court didn't even grant any Order. There was no court order.

All that existed was an application for a bankers order, and bam! the bank placed a PND restriction on my client's account.

We will be filling another action this week against a new generation bank. They placed a PND on that account in 2016 and have refused to lift it despite all entreaties. You can imagine denying a customer usage and access to the funds in his account for 4 years plus. We wrote to the bank, and it didn't even offer any shred of response or explanation for its perpetual PND on the account.

People have been suing, but the banks keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

But the truth is, how many folks can afford the services of a banking and finance litigator?

It doesn't come cheap and litigation needs patience. Imagine the lenght of time and resources expended on this case before judgment.

3 Likes

Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by EagleNest(m): 4:53am On Jul 25, 2021
mastertek:
I always think, there should be a penalty for something like this, they can't just be claim ignorance to be illegal stuff.

If it's ordinary citizens, no excuses for ignorance of law, and those who are to be custodian of the law break it anyhow

I completely agree. Yes, at their levels they should know.
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by stunnert(m): 5:19am On Jul 25, 2021
It seems the banks benefits from the freezing of people's accounts. My sugar mummy says if nothing is done to your freezed bank account for two years, the money automatically belongs to the bank undecided undecided
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by IamDavid(m): 5:28am On Jul 25, 2021
Like this post if your bank account has been freezed in the past... This naija banking system don tire me

1 Like

Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by IamDavid(m): 5:30am On Jul 25, 2021
stunnert:
It seems the banks benefits from the freezing of people's accounts. My sugar mummy says if nothing is done to your freezed bank account for two years, the money automatically belongs to the bank undecided undecided
In most cases, it would be illegal for the bank to freeze ones account for two years. Bankers order comes with a duration except it is renewed by the person who made the order.
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by Nobody: 5:35am On Jul 25, 2021
TGM2015:

From the news, the IG never issued order to freeze any account, he only presented the order document. Hence, the name of Police or IG was not included in the judgment order as quoted in the post.

It will be good to remove IG from the thread title as it does not represent the content of the thread. It should read "Magistrate Courts have no..."
The banks in their defence said the letters from the IG office were accompanied with a document called a "bankers order" from a magistrate court
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by garyaustin(m): 5:52am On Jul 25, 2021
No compensation awarded for the wrongful freezing of account?
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by Glink2018(m): 5:57am On Jul 25, 2021
Blaksheep:

Thank God for the judiciary....the way wey police dey take give order to freeze people's accounts is alarming....

My friend that doesn't have money oh..., Nah bank go even inform the police say, there are inflow of big money in his account...

Money wey be say, his gain no pass 50k....the rest huge amount of money Nah for purchasing of materials needed for the job done....with this alone, he spent one week for SFU, ikoyi...
Banks, in connivance with people put my guy for serious wahala....
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by Idadurun: 6:27am On Jul 25, 2021
TGM2015:

From the news, the IG never issued order to freeze any account, he only presented the order document. Hence, the name of Police or IG was not included in the judgment order as quoted in the post.

It will be good to remove IG from the thread title as it does not represent the content of the thread. It should read "Magistrate Courts have no..."
Get understanding. Wisdom is profitable. You're not familiar with the case so keep mum, read and pass
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by BigRocky: 6:31am On Jul 25, 2021
The judiciary is our last hope.
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by BigRocky: 6:32am On Jul 25, 2021
The judiciary is our last hope .
Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by Almaigaa: 7:06am On Jul 25, 2021
Investigative:
My opinion

Re: Magistrates, IG Have No Powers To Freeze Bank Accounts, Court Rules by smartNerd: 7:12am On Jul 25, 2021
“Opportunity is missed by most people because it
is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” —
Thomas Edison

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Naira Inches Towards 1000 Naira To A Dollar / 5 Reasons Why You Should Start Your Own Work At Home Internet Business / A GTB Employee Helped Bank Customer Set Up Her App, Then ‘Stole’ Her N600k - FIJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.