Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Big Idea Tech Startups In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Big Idea Tech Startups In Nigeria (2192 Views)

The Journey Of Tech Startups In Nigeria And How To Establish One. / 11 Online Food And Grocery Delivery Startups In Nigeria / Venture Capital Funding For Dotcom Startups In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Big Idea Tech Startups In Nigeria by sulad82i(m): 9:41pm On May 13, 2011
http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/13/yes-there-are-tech-startups-in-nigeria-here-are-my-favorites/
This is an excerpt, read the whole article thru the link above.

[b]Gyst: This was one of two truly long-term, big-idea, swing-for-the-fences startups I saw in the country. (I’ll write about the other one on Saturday.) Sim Shagaya (pictured to the left) has a Harvard MBA, but don’t hold that against him. After studying in the US and bouncing around the tech and banking world, he returned home to build a traditional old media billboard business.

He’s now leveraging the cash-flow of that to build two exciting new media companies. One is a daily deal site called DealDey. The other is super exciting. It’s called Gyst, and it’s a very local business directory search engine. He hires a bunch of kids throughout the country and gives them each a smart phone with a camera. They go door-to-door, manually getting information and GPS coordinates on every small businesses in the city, gathering the information in a database. Amazingly, nothing like this exists in Nigeria– no Yellow Pages, no local search engines, no 411 service. Like most emerging markets, many cities in West Africa don’t even have a formal system of streets and addresses or a working postal system.

This is an insanely expensive and ambitious project, and it’s 100% bootstrapped by the parent company. The opportunity is huge. It’s Google on a local level combined with Yelp, JustDial, SMSOne, Gigwalk, and a bunch of other exciting companies who rethink cost effective ways to amass huge amounts of local data in one easy-to-access place. “It will take a long time to show the true value of this business, but we’re willing to wait,” Shagaya says. Right now the company has 20,000 business listings, and its ultimate ambition is to index every city in West Africa with more than one million people. And the company will make all that information completely free for users. Whoa.

There are obviously huge synergies between these three businesses. A daily deal site that is tied to billboards and the region’s only comprehensive small business directory is a lot more powerful and exciting than a run-of-the-mill Groupon clone. And I love the ambition: Shagaya said he is focused on building nothing less than the Naspers of Nigeria.

Naspers– the South African media conglomerate– is not only one of the most dominant new media companies in Africa, it’s investing in the most important new media companies in the emerging world. One of their companies, DealFish, was even a sponsor of this Demo Day. It’s about time a continent as big as Africa has more than one new media powerhouse. This company is one to watch.

Skoola: This company has taken several years of Nigeria and Western Africa’s standardized tests and converted them into a basic test prep app that can run on any mobile phone, smart or dumb. I asked how big the market is and the whole room laughed. This is the test everyone takes if they have any ambition of higher education.

The business– which is so clear that the entrepreneur pitched in under three minutes– is a no brainer on a lot of levels. More people have phones in the developing world than toilets so it’s the ideal medium, and it’s a way to kill time sitting in traffic and further your education at the same time. It’s a perfect example of how to build a mass market product in a country like Nigeria: It’s distributed on the broadest possible platform, solving a problem a huge percentage of the population has, and priced for volume at less than $.30 per test. The company is working on French translations so neighboring West African countries can use the product too. I’m amazed I haven’t seen something like this in India. I’m sure it already exists. If it doesn’t, it should.

Traffic Nigeria: Speaking of the need to kill time in traffic, this company uses crowd-sourcing to monitor the traffic in Lagos, delivering results over the Web or SMS. Nigerian traffic is not the worst I’ve seen in the emerging world, but it’s pretty awful. As the entrepreneur put it dramatically, “You’re dying gradually sitting in this traffic, and we want to increase Nigeria’s life expectancy.”

I like the idea of attacking a local problem like this, but I’m not convinced crowd-sourcing is the right way. One entrepreneur I talked to later suggested that Traffic Nigeria should charge people for the updates (many people would gladly pay if the information was solid) and then pay motorcycle cabs or delivery guys to report once an hour or so on traffic conditions on their already traveled routes. That could be an instant local hit, and again, something that should exist in the rest of the developing world too.

But the entrepreneur behind Traffic Nigeria seemed sharp, and I have no doubt if the crowd-sourcing approach doesn’t pan out, he’ll iterate his way to a better method. The company is wisely tapping into something people feel passionate about: Everyone in Lagos talks about how brutal the traffic is and routes, meetings, days and plans are all orchestrated to avoid it at all costs.

Several other companies I met were working on important building blocks for any local Web ecosystem. My favorites in that category were Pagatech, a pretty sophisticated company that turns mobile phones into electronic wallets, and Bloovue, a Nigerian-localized ad network that hand-holds small businesses as they start to advertise on the Web and mobile devices. One cool thing about Bloovue is you can build an ad easily on a mobile phone; a small business never has to touch a computer to advertise online. The company cited the example of a woman named Judy the Cheesecake Lady. After one ad ran on Bloovue’s network she got six calls for cheesecakes within twenty minutes, and sixty calls over the next few days. She’d never considered advertising online before, and was stunned by the rapid results.

So that’s the raw, hopeful side of the Nigerian tech scene. This weekend I’ll post two stories about my brushes with the country’s no less entrepreneurial tech underworld[/b]
Re: Big Idea Tech Startups In Nigeria by sulad82i(m): 1:58pm On May 16, 2011
I really like the idea of Gyst, if he succeed, he will be like a google search/yellow pages/411 info for 9ja pple and it will be a big business. I cant imagine how much this guy will make from advert.
Re: Big Idea Tech Startups In Nigeria by sulad82i(m): 2:04pm On May 16, 2011
Re: Big Idea Tech Startups In Nigeria by tsupilot: 8:54pm On Jun 22, 2011
There is www.whereyoudey.com , they are way mature than gyst and all of the other rubbish out there combined. Their business listings nigeria portal is way way ahead of the game and they have SMS to web advertising,

I heard they are cooking something, came across the guys that own it at the MIT Africa business conference.
Re: Big Idea Tech Startups In Nigeria by Seun(m): 7:06pm On Sep 28, 2011
-> Business/Money
Re: Big Idea Tech Startups In Nigeria by sherif1: 7:45pm On Sep 28, 2011
You guys are right on spot, and you should know that there so many startups coming up in the nigerian tech scene. the good and the bad. One interesting one is this new nigerian starups www.1knaira.com a social market place for buying and selling of services for just naira1,000 plus free signing up.
Another one which am just checking out is onlinenaira.com
Re: Big Idea Tech Startups In Nigeria by Papilo87(m): 5:32pm On Sep 29, 2011
Since that article (which I think was too narrow anyway) there are emerging tech startups in Nigeria which need to be brought to light; Vconnect, Ngcareers, DealDey etc,

www.NairaBrains.com is doing a report on them that will be out soon.
Re: Big Idea Tech Startups In Nigeria by prokure: 10:51am On Oct 01, 2011
real cool sites.

(1) (Reply)

Which Nigeria Sector Can I Invest & To Secure 40-80% Profit. / A New Importation Business Guide Everyone Should Have / Pls How Do I Add Gigs On My Fiverr Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.