Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

The Life; Death And The Legacy Of Christopher Okigbo By An Admirer - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Life; Death And The Legacy Of Christopher Okigbo By An Admirer (327 Views)

The Legacy(series 2) / The Power Of Life & Death- A Short Story / Legacy Of Christopher Okigbo - 50 Years On - Program (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Life; Death And The Legacy Of Christopher Okigbo By An Admirer by TheMohican(m): 10:47pm On Aug 04, 2021
"We lost great men in the war" the old man said with a grin...

A weak attempt at a smile, as he remembered all those who fell during the 30 month civil war.

A light cloud of sadness adorned the room like incense and although it wasn't my first inquisition into the occurrences of the Biafran Civil War. This one journey hit harder than all the others. It managed to get a clear view of something which I had only ever glimpsed at. It managed to see the cause of it all from someone who had lived in thick of the coups, pogoms and counter coups.

"We lost great men in the war" he says like a man defeated.

We lost great men in the war.

Tonight I remember Christopher Okigwe for the man he would have being if not for his sacrifice.

He died defending the city of NSUKKA. A citadel which today has turned into a tavern of mediocrity wallowing in dirt ridden swine fest that is Nigerian public education.

You died in vain dear sir..

But your legacy will not depart. You will be remembered by I and those akin to me as the PHENOMENON THAT NEVER WAS.

In the war early manuscripts of what would easily have being classics were destroyed. Books which would have been celebrated and lauded.

GONE!!!

destroyed!!!

Never to be read or admired.

You will be missed.

But!!

We the igbo believe that death isn't our end, and that one who dies will live again reborn; renewed.

Maybe this which was your belief was a truth and not a fantasy

I believe that somewhere far or near lies of fruit of your genius..

This night and for many nights to come; I shall drink to you, your life, your death and your legacy.

(1) (Reply)

Stories / Candies Group (episode 2) / If You Love To Write Romance, Make Money Writing!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.