Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,664 members, 7,813,228 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

Share Your Hospital Bill Experience - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Share Your Hospital Bill Experience (15418 Views)

Benin Hospital Withholds Corpse Of 12-Year-Old Over ₦400,000 Hospital Bill / Aisha Edward: Sickle Cell Advocate Decries High Hospital Bill, Illegal Detention / Three-Year-old Girl Detained In Hospital Over Hospital Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by showafrica(m): 11:50am On Aug 07, 2021
GambaOsaka:
Last October, I was down with covid. Omo na like film trick. I locked myself up in one of the rooms to isolate, and was managing the symptoms until one day I felt like I was going to vomit my heart out, my breath was almost ceasing. I thought about my little kids and my wife; I can leave them like this. I just banged on the walls and cried to my wife to call 911.
Naso dem come carry me for their ambulance, I reach hospital, dem just leave me for bed say my case na minor. I was about protesting but when I saw dead and unconscious people suffering from covid being rolled by I just meshionu say my case better. Later one doctor came, ran Oxygen level test, chest xray and blood pressure pere.
After he said I can go, I should be taking paracetamol and drink Gatorade. Ambulance sef no gree carry me go back home. I had to get an uber. After a month 3 different Bill's came into the mail totalling $1400 even after anthem has paid some part. I still never pay am finish till now. Na $75 per month till I pay am finish. If dem like make dem bring debt collector.

Upon say u be black man, coro attacked you like this. White man land is cursed. Here in UAR, when coro attacked me, na ordinary Coartem 2k cure am...less than 5$. Lost taste and smell for 3 days and the 4th day i started naking my bottles again. Since that day, if coro see me, e go tear race.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by DrFunmisticGlow: 12:50pm On Aug 07, 2021
placeofallure:
My hospital bill experience....

I was pregnant and had life threatening complications. I was on referral to this big government hospital. I was a bit weak and could barely stand for few minutes. The pregnancy was just a couple of months old, wasn't showing yet. When my family (husband, mum, sister and brother) dropped me at the hospital, they were looking for where to get the card and other stuff but me I walked with the lil strength in me to the emergency section. I handed the referral letter to the nurse on duty, she read and asked me where is the person. I told her it was me. She was shocked and swung into action. She made a bed quickly, made me lie on it, fix the drip and all. Remember, nobody had billed me, I haven't even consulted with any doctor, she also didn't see anybody with me.

When my people sorted out the formalities, registration and all, they came to the emergency and saw me already receiving treatment. They said doctors will see me shortly. It was a weekend so we waited a while. The doctors came and said my kind of ectopic pregnancy was rare. They'd try two possible options for surgery, if one doesn't work, the other would. The pregnancy had to go. It was painful. I read up their diagnosis on Google, 0.02% of people had ever presented with it. Rare indeed!

They booked me for surgery the following day, they didn't ask for Kobo. The surgery was successful but I needed time to recuperate. I was there for another ten days. Each time my husband asked about the bill, they'd say they know we'd pay. I'd laugh inside. What made these people so sure? We did pay eventually. No baby and still had to part with about 200k. I knew I got to heaven's gate and really wanted to enter But I thank God ultimately for life.

The beauty of this is the promptness to save life. They didn't place premium on money first, yet it was a government hospital. Before I got admitted there, I knew nobody but the treatment I got was top notch.

Lagos Island Maternity!!!
the baby factory.

Good times working there
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Nobody: 1:31pm On Aug 07, 2021
Funny comments grin

Well, I've never got admitted in the hospital. I never had serious health issues or injury. It's the Lord's doing oo.
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Loveknitting: 1:31pm On Aug 07, 2021
Afodot0022:
Hospital this days are just to suck you of your funds. Even if you are under HMO , They treat you low and give you cheap and inferior drugs that they know wont cure you and they will forward outrageous bill to your HMO to pay. Now i dont waste time going to hospital. All i do is go to pharmacy and give them my complains to prescribe for me and am good to go. Its more cheaper and less time consuming.

You're absolutely right, going to the hospital now is hell, and also a waste of time.
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:37pm On Aug 07, 2021
okooloyun1:
Most private hospitals are guilty of high bills. There was a time around 2017, I was having a chest pain in the night, so I went to one private hospital the next street to my house. When I got there, they gave me injections with some drugs and placed me on a drip then I asked the doctor, what was really wrong with me, he said don't worry you will be fine. In the morning they gave me another drip, I now wondered what was really the problem because at the time I no longer felt any pain again. They later brought the bill around 12pm. When I saw it, I shouted aunty nurse wetin be dis? She said, na your bill nah! my bill was 27k. I asked her how come for just ordinary chest pain? She said, you slept on the bed. After some arguments here and there, I paid 18k and left.

That your 27,000 naira is not upto what patients pay here after 10 to 15minutes consultation. Your own case even involved a 24hr admission.
The problem be say una poor well well for Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Joydan95: 1:47pm On Aug 07, 2021
cnnamoko:
Never had a bad experience but, I know of a guy that was slammed 180k bill. The family members know that there is no way they ll cough out that amount.

so everytime they visit, they kept assuring the guy. John dont worry we ll get you out of here! on their way out they ll pick one of John' shirt out. This was happening for over 2 weeks till they cleared all John's belongings without the nurses knowing.

so on the d day immediately the nurse in charge went to ease herself, John was made to run and never look back.

This is hilarious
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Joydan95: 1:59pm On Aug 07, 2021
In December 2020, I was down

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by okooloyun1(m): 2:37pm On Aug 07, 2021
ChybuzzDD:

That your 27,000 naira is not upto what patients pay here after 10 to 15minutes consultation. Your own case even involved a 24hr admission.
The problem be say una poor well well for Nigeria.
What is the minimum wage people dey earn where you dey? You are always quick to compare naija with any country.
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by doctokwus: 3:07pm On Aug 07, 2021
okooloyun1:
What is the minimum wage people dey earn where you dey? You are always quick to compare naija with any country.
Those are the semi illiterates that roam the forum.Despite travelling out and assumed exposed,they always expose their low IQ.
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Chuksmonika(m): 3:09pm On Aug 07, 2021
okooloyun1:
So they will hold me there when I don't have more than that to pay. Before they started I asked them how much it will cost me, the doctor said I shouldn't worry.
bros, I don't think any hospital will haggle price with you... if they give you your bill, it is your bill, you will pay it. If you're lucky, the doctor may out of his benevolence remove small thing for you, if he is the owner of the hospital.
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by okooloyun1(m): 3:36pm On Aug 07, 2021
Chuksmonika:
bros, I don't think any hospital will haggle price with you... if they give you your bill, it is your bill, you will pay it. If you're lucky, the doctor may out of his benevolence remove small thing for you, if he is the owner of the hospital.
I asked the doctor who is the owner of the hospital, what it will likely cost me before they started the treatment to know if I can afford it. The doctor said I shouldn't worry as if he wanted to treat me for free. Even the 18k that I paid was not really easy for me to drop at the time because it was more than half of what I dey earn as salary then.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Ptersyn(m): 3:56pm On Aug 07, 2021
My first daughter arrived when government hospitals doctors were on strike because that's where my wife registered. Because it's her first delivery and the pregnancy was becoming over due , we had to take her to one private clinic in airport road here in Warri. They refused to attend to us because we couldn't deposit the initial sum of 70k for the Caesarian section. We had to rally round and my wife was losing strength and and feeling excruciating pain due to prolong labour of over 12hrs. We give God all the glory though, She was alive and our daughter too. In all we spent roughly 387k. Just the C's alone is 300k. In the five days we spent there. The give you hourly bill update. Capitol Hill Airport road Warri ...never in my life will I go there.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Chuksmonika(m): 4:23pm On Aug 07, 2021
okooloyun1:
I asked the doctor who is the owner of the hospital, what it will likely cost me before they started the treatment to know if I can afford it. The doctor said I shouldn't worry as if he wanted to treat me for free. Even the 18k that I paid was not really easy for me to drop at the time because it was more than half of what I dey earn as salary then.
lol... Now you have said it as it is.
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by papyskinsy: 6:24pm On Aug 07, 2021
THANK God for HMO.. mehnn yu wunt know what it feels like to pay for a test that wasn't necessary

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by placeofallure(f): 7:10pm On Aug 07, 2021
DrFunmisticGlow:
the baby factory.

Good times working there

You were a doctor there? God bless you guys greatly.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by khadaffi(m): 8:33pm On Aug 07, 2021
seleroms2:
There is room for private individuals under NHIS. A lot of private companies have their staff under NHIS

Yes I understand it's for private. I will check it out to see if their requirements have changed. When it started some time ago ( this was before this administration but I'm not exactly sure of the date now) I tried enrolling my for my company. It was a secondary school and a poultry farm. The requirements then was crazy. I'm not sure if they've reduced this but I see someone saying 60k annually for a family of 4, if this is the case then I must confess it has changed from what I knew it as.
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by ikorodureporta: 8:53pm On Aug 07, 2021
aycapri:
well, it could be the HMO of the company he works.

For where... All those boys wey dey do site jab for V.I
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by onojaford(m): 11:56am On Aug 08, 2021
jy2kbeyond:

You are indirectly asking people to flaunt their criminal records.

...which would relieve them of subconscious guilt.
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by onojaford(m): 11:59am On Aug 08, 2021
smile11s:
Mine was $1.7m like seriously. You go fear America
Did you abscond; what was wrong with you?
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by onojaford(m): 12:42pm On Aug 08, 2021
catalanscrew:
Rght now I'm in the hospital will update you guys later please
What's wrong with you man? Whatever it is, you're wished quick recovery. Finally, we await to learn of your experiences.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by onojaford(m): 12:44pm On Aug 08, 2021
Afodot0022:
Hospital this days are just to suck you of your funds. Even if you are under HMO , They treat you low and give you cheap and inferior drugs that they know wont cure you and they will forward outrageous bill to your HMO to pay. Now i dont waste time going to hospital. All i do is go to pharmacy and give them my complains to prescribe for me and am good to go. Its more cheaper and less time consuming.
I'm learning to be a DIY surgeon. My services would be way cheaper and I hope you patronize me if the needs arise. I have already started watching YouTube videos. My basic challenge now is how to get anaesthesias.
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by smile11s(m): 3:06pm On Aug 08, 2021
onojaford:
Did you abscond; what was wrong with you?

I go court so Medicare go pay. Back then I been no get insurance
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by onojaford(m): 3:17am On Aug 09, 2021
Ptersyn:
My first daughter arrived when government hospitals doctors were on strike because that's where my wife registered. Because it's her first delivery and the pregnancy was becoming over due , we had to take her to one private clinic in airport road here in Warri. They refused to attend to us because we couldn't deposit the initial sum of 70k for the Caesarian section. We had to rally round and my wife was losing strength and and feeling excruciating pain due to prolong labour of over 12hrs. We give God all the glory though, She was alive and our daughter too. In all we spent roughly 387k. Just the C's alone is 300k. In the five days we spent there. The give you hourly bill update. Capitol Hill Airport road Warri ...never in my life will I go there.
Heheh... You must be a strong man. More strength!

1 Like

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by ChybuzzDD(m): 6:50am On Aug 09, 2021
okooloyun1:

Na truth you talk sha.
Meanwhile, na those poor wages and low purchasing power make person "japa" from 9ja(aka UAR)
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by pomide(m): 9:19pm On Aug 10, 2021
onojaford:
I'm learning to be a DIY surgeon. My services would be way cheaper and I hope you patronize me if the needs arise. I have already started watching YouTube videos. My basic challenge now is how to get anaesthesias.

DIY surgeon ke? Bros!!
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by DBestDoc(f): 8:21pm On Aug 13, 2021
khadaffi:

I'm not too sure you understand how the NHIS works. Teaching hospital is not where you enrol for NHIS. In theory, corporate organisations and government workers are to enroll for NHIS, in practice only government workers use it and enroll for it. The requirements is not convenient for most SME. I'm saying this because I've once inquired about registering my workers for the policy. It is not realistic. If in doubt, please name any private business enrolled in NHIS.

The NHIS has offices in every teaching Hospital and Enquiries can be made at these offices.

I don’t know if I mentioned that I got my mum enrolled a couple of months ago. ( as a private individual)
Every Nigerian is eligible for the National Health Insurance Scheme, though civil and public servants get enrolled automatically.

I mentioned private individuals not businesses. Private Businesses use private hospital HMOs, you strike a deal with them and get your staff enrolled but you as a private individual can enroll yourself and family in the scheme.

Gracias
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by cori908: 10:56am On May 09, 2022
Useful and interesting thread, now I know which hospitals to avoid huh. As for me, I had one of the best experiences with BodyLogicMD, but unfortunately I didn't save the bill. Here https://bodylogicmd.pissedconsumer.com/review.html is the most adequate info about this clinic I found.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Does Condom Protect You From AIDS? / No New Confirmed Cases Of Ebola In Lagos! / Life Expectancy In Nigeria Now 55 Years – WHO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.