Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,039 members, 7,832,499 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 10:29 PM

FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion (1265 Views)

Soko Loan Has Finally Defamed Me (pictures) / Soko Loan Fined ₦10 Million By NITDA For Privacy Invasion / How Sokoloan Lending Company Killed A Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by JPhilip: 8:44pm On Aug 17, 2021
The National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) has sanctioned an online lending platform, Soko Lending Company Ltd., (Soko Loans), for data privacy invasion.

Mrs Hadiza Umar, Head, Corporate Affairs and External Relations of NITDA, said this in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.

Umar said the action was taken following series of complaints against the company for unauthorised disclosures, failure to protect customers’ personal data, defamation of character and violating the provisions of the Nigeria Data Protection Regulation (NDPR).

According to her, one of such complaints filed by Bloomgate Solicitors on behalf of its client, the data subject, was received on Monday, Nov. 11, 2019, which prompted the agency to investigate the claims.

Umar explained that Soko Loans granted its customers uncollateralised loans which required a loanee to download its mobile application on the phone and activate a direct debit in the company’s favour.

“In such manner, the application gains access to the loanee’s phone contacts,” she said.

According to one of the complainants, when he failed to meet up with his repayment obligations due to insufficient credit in his account on the date the direct debit was to take effect, the company unilaterally sent privacy invading messages to the complainant’s contacts.

She said NITDA’s investigation revealed that the complainants’ contacts who were neither parties to the loan transaction nor consented to the processing of their data had confirmed the receipt of such messages.

The agency also made efforts to get Soko Loan to change the unethical practice but to no avail.

She added that following the investigation, it secured a lien order on one of the company’s accounts by which it could come up with privacy enhancing solutions for its business model.

Umar said instead, Soko Loan decided to rebrand and direct its customers to pay into its other business accounts.

She said: “The agency’s investigation further revealed that the company embeds trackers that share data with third parties inside its mobile application without providing users information about it or using the appropriate lawful basis.

“NITDA has, therefore, found Soko Loan and its entities in violation of use of non-conforming privacy notice, contrary to the content of the NDPR, insufficient lawful basis for processing personal data, contrary to Articles 2.2 and 2.3 of the NDPR.”

It said the company was involved in “illegal data sharing without appropriate lawful basis, contrary to Article 2.2 of the NDPR, unwillingness to cooperate with the Data Protection Authority, contrary to Article 3.1 (1) of Data Protection Implementation Framework and non-filing of NDPR audit reports through a licensed Data Protection Compliance Organisation (DPCO).

“In view of the foregoing and in consideration of its implication on the privacy of Nigerians and erosion of trust in the digital economy, NITDA hereby imposes a monetary sanction of N10 million on Soko Lending Company Ltd.

“NITDA also directs that no further privacy invading messages be sent to any Nigerian until the company and its entities show full compliance with the NDPR.”

She said the agency also directed the company to pay for the conduct of a Data Protection Impact Assessment by a NITDA appointed DPCO on its operation and placement on a mandatory IT and Data Protection oversight for nine months.

Umar clarified that the incriminating aspects of the investigation was deposited with the Nigerian Police to determine if the executives of the company were liable to imprisonment for violating Section 17 of the NITDA Act, 2007.

She, however, reminded all Nigerian businesses and data controllers of their obligation to engage NITDA-licensed DPCO to guide them toward compliance with the data protection law.

Umar reiterated that the agency was committed to fully enforcing the NDPR with the aim of sanitising the operating environment, instilling confidence in the digital economy and protecting the right to data privacy of Nigerians.

She recalled that the agency issued the NDPR as Nigeria’s first comprehensive framework for the protection of personal data.

She said the regulation provided the principles, framework, protection and processing of personal data of Nigerians and residents. (NAN)

Read more: https://www.herald.ng/fg-sanctions-soko-lending-company-for-data-privacy-invasion/
Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by illicit(m): 8:47pm On Aug 17, 2021
tongue
Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by kristonium(m): 8:54pm On Aug 17, 2021
It's not only Soko that does that, most of them do that!!.
I keep receiving messages of someone that defaulted in payment, and they asking I should locate him or her. I kept wondering, why the invasion of my privacy
Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by ojun50(m): 8:59pm On Aug 17, 2021
It is well with Nigerians borrowing money to survive
Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by buttlover(m): 9:00pm On Aug 17, 2021
Please move this to front page. These loan apps have killed many innocent souls. In the name of recovery strategy.

1 Like

Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by Blessing185(f): 9:04pm On Aug 17, 2021
Good news,ekene101 you are a legend,you foresaw this happening.

1 Like

Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by Ahmed0336(m): 9:36pm On Aug 17, 2021
buttlover:
Please move this to front page. These loan apps have killed many innocent souls. In the name of recovery strategy.
Seconded.

1 Like

Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by mrsage(m): 9:47pm On Aug 17, 2021
Finally

1 Like

Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by Nonso92(m): 9:50pm On Aug 17, 2021
1 down, lots more to come

1 Like

Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by halogate: 12:37am On Aug 18, 2021
.. sokoloan get reach 10million? undecided..they would rather close shop and run away.
.. anyway..1 down, plenty to go.
.. biko dey should go after the rest..bunch of unless pple.
..abeg were is @MrFollowFollow from that sokoloan thread?..oya come and defend ur master. see where "extreme measures" have taken them..

1 Like

Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by halogate: 12:54am On Aug 18, 2021
info@nitda.gov.ng

That's NITDA's..in ur spare time, when u are less busy. Send them an email and report the remaining bastards..
They must close down!!
Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by Nobody: 2:17am On Aug 18, 2021
With this now one should be able to sue for unsolicited sms, invasion of privacy and threat to life. These predator lending apps must pay one day.
Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by Legalservices: 5:38am On Aug 18, 2021
I maybe wrong...but upon activation of Soko’s lending app...one maybe automatically consenting/accepting all their terms an conditions for lending unconditionally, including waving of all rights of action against them. However, I do know that consent should be intentional and not passive ... so the consent of each and every loan applicant to the T & Cs of Sokoloan should be direct and intentional.

Let’s wait and see what happens here.
Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by StarryV(f): 12:08am On Aug 19, 2021
This is good news grin grin ekene101 have you seen this. grin
Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by cybertron88: 1:33am On Aug 19, 2021
Legalservices:
I maybe wrong...but upon activation of Soko’s lending app...one maybe automatically consenting/accepting all their terms an conditions for lending unconditionally, including waving of all rights of action against them. However, I do know that consent should be intentional and not passive ... so the consent of each and every loan applicant to the T & Cs of Sokoloan should be direct and intentional.

Let’s wait and see what happens here.
No matter the consent in the offer letter doesn't warrant what those guys are practicing. There should be a reasonable way of doing things. That something is embedded in an offer and the borrower consented doesn't make it legal.

1 Like

Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by SavageResponse(m): 5:05am On Aug 19, 2021
kristonium:
It's not only Soko that does that, most of them do that!!.
I keep receiving messages of someone that defaulted in payment, and they asking I should locate him or her. I kept wondering, why the invasion of my privacy

If you keep receiving messages about loan default it means most of your friends are professional debtors and you need to change them grin
Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by Legalservices: 9:18am On Aug 19, 2021
cybertron88:

No matter the consent in the offer letter doesn't warrant what those guys are practicing. There should be a reasonable way of doing things. That something is embedded in an offer and the borrower consented doesn't make it legal.

Point made from different angles .... reemphasizing my point that consent should always be intended/ direct and not assumed or passive. So May be there should be a tick box seeking permission to do what they do in the event of a default and anyone that still goes ahead to tick that box ... has consented. Remember it’s a business and some borrowers borrow with intent not to repay ....drastic measures are always needed in a peculiar business environment such as ours.
Re: FG Sanctions Soko Lending Company For Data Privacy Invasion by kristonium(m): 9:50am On Aug 19, 2021
SavageResponse:

If you keep receiving messages about loan default it means most of your friends are professional debtors and you need to change them grin

That's not correct..I have more than 6000 contacts on my phone most of whom are from my digital marketing engagement.

Moreso, it's an abuse of privacy and privilege to invade and be threatening someone who doesn't know anything about any loan.

Was I used as a guarantor? Did they consult me before loaning out the fund? So why the threat??

Government is very much on point with the sanctions. They should extend it to others too!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mark Zuckerberg Training With UFC Champions Israel Adesanya & Alexander Volkanov / Don’t Start That Business Until You Are Sure You Have These Seven Qualities / Information On Clearing Goods At Ports Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.