Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179430 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 5:21pm On Dec 03, 2021
gistbite:
Hello Guys. I want to book the day 2 and 8 test. Which lab will you recommend (with link please)
And do I have to book the test for my two years daughter or fill the locator form for her?

Thank you.

Testing for all lab....

... why are you booking days 2 and 8? If fully vaccinated in naija, with the last dose of your vaccination more than 14days, you should book for only day 2 lateral flow test in the UK.

2 years don't need to book any covid test in the UK.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 5:23pm On Dec 03, 2021
LagosismyHome:

A friend and her son were relocating from naija , her plan was to stay with her brother only for him to say he relocating to USA. She came and found her own accommodation

It then turns out the brother was never relocating anywhere and just lied....but then do you blame him

When I asked what was her plan, she had planned for her and her son to live with her brother for one year, but he lives in a one bed and has lived alone for yearssss. He didn't have the courage to say no so he lived, but can't blame him. One year plan in his one bed, that isn't fair to him too but most times people think only of themselves. What they can save not how inconvenient it is to the host

The brother should have come out plain to the sister, nothing to hide as they are same family.. grin

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Williegh: 5:24pm On Dec 03, 2021
Please is it possible to check in with two bags and have only one bag to be given at the airport
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 5:32pm On Dec 03, 2021
ukay2:

Testing for all lab....

... why are you booking days 2 and 8? If fully vaccinated in naija, with the last dose of your vaccination more than 14days, you should book for only day 2 lateral flow test in the UK.

2 years don't need to book any covid test in the UK.
I'm not vaccinated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by duchess90(f): 5:57pm On Dec 03, 2021
Hello @omopapa

Do you still have pounds? i have naira and need pounds please

Cheers
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 6:10pm On Dec 03, 2021
LagosismyHome:

A friend and her son were relocating from naija , her plan was to stay with her brother only for him to say he relocating to USA. She came and found her own accommodation

It then turns out the brother was never relocating anywhere and just lied....but then do you blame him

When I asked what was her plan, she had planned for her and her son to live with her brother for one year, but he lives in a one bed and has lived alone for yearssss. He didn't have the courage to say no so he lived, but can't blame him. One year plan in his one bed, that isn't fair to him too but most times people think only of themselves. What they can save not how inconvenient it is to the host

True.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 7:38pm On Dec 03, 2021
wallg123:

Use boots online …. It’s straight forward

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 8:06pm On Dec 03, 2021
wallg123:

Use boots online …. It’s straight forward

Above my budgetsad
Do you know any affordable alternative?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 8:11pm On Dec 03, 2021
ukay2:

The brother should have come out plain to the sister, nothing to hide as they are same family.. grin

Ideally yes I agree....but if them dey manage like that growing up, if he says abeg sis no space for her, will the sister understand. Won't she say we fit all manage
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dubaiprince: 8:44pm On Dec 03, 2021
LagosismyHome:

What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. We should not stress it. The brother should have just explained his situation. He would have done the right thing by telling the truth and clear his conscience. Leave the other person to think whatever she thinks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by daholiest(m): 8:56pm On Dec 03, 2021
Thank you so much
please how or where do I get the postal stamp order, please.
Mimzyy:
You would receive an appointment email but it’s not going to be anytime soon. They have got back log and waiting time is currently between 5-6 months. However, if you can’t wait that long, you can use the fast track option. You simply go there any day of your choosing between Wednesday to Friday with an extra £100 or £120 (not sure) in addition to your £20 postal order and stamped special delivery envelope for each of your application.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by inphoenix: 9:23pm On Dec 03, 2021
dubaiprince:

What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. We should not stress it. The brother should have just explained his situation. He would have done the right thing by telling the truth and clear his conscience. Leave the other person to think whatever she thinks.

I have been reading the comments of people on this issue since yesterday and I just wonder what is in the water in this UK that makes Nigerians lose their communality? I mean, like seriously? What ever it is that can give a brother the courage to send his sister packing after a few months could have given him the courage to say no from the start. I mean, let her know beforehand so she can weigh her options!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by inphoenix: 9:30pm On Dec 03, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Not to generalise but this is true.... there usually a big difference between a Nigerian who just came and one that has been living here. I find that it takes almost 2years for the newly income to unlearn and relearn some new ways

You cant blame the people here for not helping, the ungratefulness and entitlement of most newly come is something else. Until they walk the journey of life in UK, they can't really understand

Yinmu, what is the journey of life in the UK? Is it harder than life in Nigeria? Or was it convenient for our parents who took in family members that lived with us for yearsssss? Have you not seen how the Asians live in the UK? Why is it rampant among Nigerians to always send friend/family packing and leaving people stranded all in the name of "life in the UK"? My sister, what is not good is bad, let's talk to ourselves joooooor!

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donogaga(m): 10:28pm On Dec 03, 2021
Good evening All,

Please doesn't anyone here present have a sure link for a 2 bedroom Apartment in Bristol? It's urgent.

Thanks in anticipation of your prompt attention.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by RennyKitty: 10:37pm On Dec 03, 2021
Lol sis be like say them never show u
U never jam visitor wey pass you lol
Na Naija I de ooo but for this Naija sef e get some kain friends and family wey I no go ever open my door to again. Except my direct sibling and few cousins. Make everybody hold their end. Omo I sha pray you will not jam visitor that will change this ur accommodative spirit ooo. Omo it’s even more irking how this so called visitors come to ur space and start feeling entitled to everything, then start bossing you around once they see you are willing to make them feel as relaxed as they can in ur home. At a point in my life you will never come to my house and not meet visitor. Right from college days. Cousins, friends and very very distant relatives sef lol you must sha find someone squatting in my house sha. But after all that have experienced with them nobody can spend more than a night in my house. I’d rather pay for your hotel the second night and leave you to ur fate afterwards. Even daytime visitors sef I no too appreciate anything pass 2hours. If you don chop and drink and we don gist small oga u gats need begin de leave oo. No time. I’m even more impressed that have started learning to tell people to their faces that I don’t appreciate their bad vibes and not feel like a bad person. At the end of the day, a lot of these people are often times not worth the efforts and they don’t mind sucking you off the last drop of peace and sanity and even materials things if you “slack” for them lol
inphoenix:

Yinmu, what is the journey of life in the UK? Is it harder than life in Nigeria? Or was it convenient for our parents who took in family members that lived with us for yearsssss? Have you not seen how the Asians live in the UK? Why is it rampant among Nigerians to always send friend/family packing and leaving people stranded all in the name of "life in the UK"? My sister, what is not good is bad, let's talk to ourselves joooooor!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 11:28pm On Dec 03, 2021
gistbite:

Above my budgetsad
Do you know any affordable alternative?
It’s one of the cheapest I found. The others have hidden cost that would sum to the equivalent of boots or more. Or check the .gov/international travel portal

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:38am On Dec 04, 2021
inphoenix:

May you never come across stressful visitor's...... They would suck the last oxygen you got, your saturation levels would be lower than 35%......... grin

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DisGuy: 12:44am On Dec 04, 2021
Kukujajaja:
I think 5 out of 10 Nigerians that are living in UK are born wicked. Most of these guys have terrible characters, I used to warned new comers to stop depending on them on any money related issues or shelters.
An innocent lady got stranded at Gatwick entry weeks ago having sugarcoated heavily before leaving Nigeria. Londoners are not friendly, unfortunately most of them are living fake life on social media. I encourage everyone to plan well before leaving Nigeria. Best wishes!

Totally agree with you, people should just save themselves the hassle get a hotel/apartment and leave those people and their fake lifestyle!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:15am On Dec 04, 2021
DisGuy:

Totally agree with you, people should just save themselves the hassle get a hotel/apartment and leave those people and their fake lifestyle!

Fake lifestyle or stress ..... I think it's more of the latter .........

Indeed, get a Hotel or Airbnb..........

When I travel, I book hotels (regardless of family members at location)..... I don't like stress..... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HiddenID(m): 2:50am On Dec 04, 2021
Hi all, would appreciate some urgent advice please if anyone is online at the moment.

Trying to book an urgent flight for someone from Nigeria and Virgin has notified me that the person has to come with the card I'm using for the booking before check in. They mentioned that the flight would be canceled and money forfeited if this requirement is not met.

I have read some threads online and some people sorted this by sending a photo of the card to the traveler (as well as a letter to prove that they indeed booked the flight for the traveler), but have also seen comments of people who were denied check in because of this.

Does anyone have any experience with this please, especially while traveling from Nigeria? Due to timing, flight duration and some other factors, the traveler has to use Virgin.

The traveler's last name is the same with the last name on the card used for booking the flight.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mimzyy(f): 2:56am On Dec 04, 2021
Both postal order and envelope can be purchased from any post office close to you.

daholiest:
Thank you so much
please how or where do I get the postal stamp order, please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:41am On Dec 04, 2021
dubaiprince:

Me I only heard her side of the story, its possible he came out subtle and told her of his reservations but she wasn't processing it and he had to lie ... can't say for sure but its not an easy waka
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:44am On Dec 04, 2021
inphoenix:

Until you walk in this shoe , is all I can say. Its not an easy waka taking in others, carrying your load and another person (even if na sibling) ..... but I give it to the Asians. Them dey try when it comes to lifting each other even of its a great inconvenience

Picture seen and copied from facebook, don't know the author

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DisGuy: 3:53am On Dec 04, 2021
Lexusgs430:

When I travel, I book hotels (regardless of family members at location)..... I don't like stress..... grin

Exactly as it should be.... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:55am On Dec 04, 2021
HiddenID:
Hi all, would appreciate some urgent advice please if anyone is online at the moment.

Trying to book an urgent flight for someone from Nigeria and Virgin has notified me that the person has to come with the card I'm using for the booking before check in. They mentioned that the flight would be canceled and money forfeited if this requirement is not met.

I have read some threads online and some people sorted this by sending a photo of the card to the traveler (as well as a letter to prove that they indeed booked the flight for the traveler), but have also seen comments of people who were denied check in because of this.

Does anyone have any experience with this please, especially while traveling from Nigeria? Due to timing, flight duration and some other factors, the traveler has to use Virgin.

The traveler's last name is the same with the last name on the card used for booking the flight.

This was quite common with BA and airlines few years ago, I remember always having to go to their booking office in Heathrow to make the payment as an alternative...but I noticed recently that this been removed and you can make payment without the need for the card at checkin

However it was put there in the first place because of fraudulent card activities from naija so maybe as they removed it, they seen an influx and put that restriction back again.

I don't know if they still have booking offices in Heathrow or nigeria. That might an option to book it there or verify it before the flight ....but I went to Heathrow last week for klm and noticed no more booking office in Heathrow for KLM

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:06am On Dec 04, 2021
Williegh:
Please is it possible to check in with two bags and have only one bag to be given at the airport

Do you mean on arrival only one bag came out ... then that wrong . The airline need to review and resolve what happened to the second bag
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 4:56am On Dec 04, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Exactly grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by daholiest(m): 6:01am On Dec 04, 2021
Thank you
Mimzyy:
Both postal order and envelope can be purchased from any post office close to you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by monchat(m): 6:17am On Dec 04, 2021
mystikal:

I have a return ticket

What of those on spouse visa traveling one way Can we get PTA?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HiddenID(m): 6:39am On Dec 04, 2021
LagosismyHome:

This was quite common with BA and airlines few years ago, I remember always having to go to their booking office in Heathrow to make the payment as an alternative...but I noticed recently that this been removed and you can make payment without the need for the card at checkin

However it was put there in the first place because of fraudulent card activities from naija so maybe as they removed it, they seen an influx and put that restriction back again.

I don't know if they still have booking offices in Heathrow or nigeria. That might an option to book it there or verify it before the flight ....but I went to Heathrow last week for klm and noticed no more booking office in Heathrow for KLM
Thank you so much, this is a good option. Will try and get hold of their CS today.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 8:55am On Dec 04, 2021
Lexusgs430:

May you never come across stressful visitor's...... They would suck the last oxygen you got, your saturation levels would be lower than 35%......... grin

35% saturation made me laugh grin but tbh though, there’s something about the UK system that makes our people less accommodating. It’s not this bad in the US. Family is a bit more willing to host visitors there.

One of my baby trips, we booked hotel-apartment and my aunt came there to physically Jack us out smiley She said not while she’s in the same town. The only time I succeeded in staying alone was when I went to a state with no close relatives and even then, they organized people they knew to cook and check up on us.

I always say America is a bit more like Nigeria. Uk brings out the ‘managing’ side in most people unfortunately. Everyone should understand sha and be prepared if moving abroad. No one owes you anything tbh.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:37am On Dec 04, 2021
Hello my Ogas

Can I book Qatar airways ticket directly on their website using naija card? Or I have to book, then gp to their office to pay?

Also is it true that their rates are lower at their office than if you book online?

Sent emails to their customer service and called to no avail. They responded on twitter with a generic link

Kindly advise

Thanks !

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.