Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (177) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1182419 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IcecoldDon: 9:22pm On Jan 09, 2022
Aprokodaughter:

I don't think so they only stated that your family has to be here before applying. (Although I no get dependants).

I don't understand Madam. grin grin Se i saw above where they said you are very happily married. I have even been picturing a UK topshot madam with 3 kids in primary school. Lol.

Regards the topic, I couldn't find any reference to 6 months on any government site, but because there was no other time statement, my friend who is very fearful and cautious said he prefers to err on the side of caution.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 9:31pm On Jan 09, 2022
My apologies, I know this may have been answered here before, but this thread grows at an alarming pace these days.
Is it possible for someone coming from Nigeria to study BSc Nursing and go straight into practice. After passing any council or board exams along with the B.Sc.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 09, 2022
IcecoldDon:

I don't understand Madam. grin grin Se i saw above where they said you are very happily married. I have even been picturing a UK topshot madam with 3 kids in primary school. Lol.

Regards the topic, I couldn't find any reference to 6 months on any government site, but because there was no other time statement, my friend who is very fearful and cautious said he prefers to err on the side of caution.

Hehehe...God bless me o shey you are reading too lols cheesy cheesy

I am surprised the lady in the video says family needs to be in the UK six months before applying. I will check for family and get back to you tomorrow.

I know uk govt gave students a deadline to be in the UK (Sept 2020 intake) but not family

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 9:43pm On Jan 09, 2022
DisGuy:

Yes that's correct, bank cards are gradually replacing travelcards/oyster except you're getting student discount

Are you sure you want to use buses only, commuting by bus alone is very frustrating, I find. There are so many road works
I dont have much of a choice. The train route has plenty walk involved, I will rather sit those minutes out in a bus lol, except when I want to exercise or change scene a bit.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Olinga(f): 10:00pm On Jan 09, 2022
Hehe thank me for asking the question smiley.

Thank you too cos your question made me start the research.

canadaishome:
I can't remember who mentioned moneybox but I checked it out and it's definitely something I was looking for when I said I was looking for something similar to piggyvest
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 10:12pm On Jan 09, 2022

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IcecoldDon: 10:39pm On Jan 09, 2022
Madam, please your reply is still not clear on your status oh...so that proper protocols can be adequately maintained. grin grin

I will be waiting for your response though. My friend said that he agreed with the lady because of a rule that you must apply for any visa change with 6 months remaining on your current visa I.e student visa dependent to PSW dependent.

My own question to him was now that how does the 6 months rule now apply to the main student himself if he needs to finish his one year program and apply for the post study visa at the end of it which will definitely be at the end of his student visa as well.

The whole thing is just confusing especially as there is no definite statement on these requirements on any official website.

@dubaiprince @chreze @justwise

Aprokodaughter:

Hehehe...God bless me o shey you are reading too lols cheesy cheesy

I am surprised the lady in the video says family needs to be in the UK six months before applying. I will check for family and get back to you tomorrow.

I know uk govt gave students a deadline to be in the UK (Sept 2020 intake) but not family

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 10:46pm On Jan 09, 2022
Mamatukwas:
I’ve been thinking.

Programmers/Business people in the house. Can someone build something like Rightmove but for Students moving to the UK. I think there’s a reasonable market for it.

Landlords will post their houses and ask for 3, 6 or 12 months rent in advance (I’ve checked and this is legal). Students can check and if they are happy with any house/location they view as usual and pay.

I won’t go into all the details but I think it would benefit both parties. Abi how Una see am?

P.S- If you decide to build this solution and would like to do it with someone I’m interested please.

But how will the website make money?

Maybe charge a middleman fee
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 10:51pm On Jan 09, 2022
Olinga:
Hehe thank me for asking the question smiley.

Thank you too cos your question made me start the research.

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jan 09, 2022
mizGene:
Hi guys,
I will be commuting to work within London starting soon. I will be using buses only.
From my research online, there is no difference between getting a travel card amd using my bank card for the week as the fares are capped on the bank card once it reaches the equivalent cost of a travel card...

Can anyone confirm this or give any advice on how to proceed?
For this to work, I think you must also remember to clock out your card when exiting the station otherwise you'll pay more.

Edit:
I was referring to underground trains.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 11:46pm On Jan 09, 2022
Yes they will most likely get a job to sponsor them
kode12:
My apologies, I know this may have been answered here before, but this thread grows at an alarming pace these days.
Is it possible for someone coming from Nigeria to study BSc Nursing and go straight into practice. After passing any council or board exams along with the B.Sc.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 11:49pm On Jan 09, 2022
IcecoldDon:
Madam, please your reply is still not clear on your status oh...so that proper protocols can be adequately maintained. grin grin

I will be waiting for your response though. My friend said that he agreed with the lady because of a rule that you must apply for any visa change with 6 months remaining on your current visa I.e student visa dependent to PSW dependent.

My own question to him was now that how does the 6 months rule now apply to the main student himself if he needs to finish his one year program and apply for the post study visa at the end of it which will definitely be at the end of his student visa as well.

The whole thing is just confusing especially as there is no definite statement on these requirements on any official website.

@dubaiprince @chreze @justwise

[Tell your friend] the YouTuber is talking rubbish, as many of them tend to do.
The previous response you got is correct - your dependants must simply enter the UK any time before your student visa expires, not within six months of that time.

No such thing as a six-month rule regarding application - the only place where the rules state that a six month time limit comes into play is that where your student visa has less than 6 months to run, your dependants will not pay the IHS. However, that means that they might be charged for any hospital treatment.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 12:02am On Jan 10, 2022
onecoder:

For this to work, I think you must also remember to clock out your card when exiting the station otherwise you'll pay more.

Edit:

True that.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 12:04am On Jan 10, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

The previous response you got is correct - your dependants must simply enter the UK any time before your student visa expires, not within six months of that time.

No such thing as a six-month rule regarding application - the only place where the rules state that a six month time limit comes into play is that where your student visa has less than 6 months to run, your dependants will not pay the IHS. However, that means that they might be charged for any hospital treatment.

YouTube eh

Full of so much false information. The ones that are genuine aren't many. Best to always verify from official sources

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 1:56am On Jan 10, 2022
Below is my experience at Qatar airport that may not be seen as a risk but may get you into a watch list. Also, you really do not want to experience it for your own sanity.

Before traveling, we got several advises to go with malaria drugs; that there is no malaria drug in UK and that if the small malaria parasite in our body manifest, no treatment, we will be isolated, so wifey got some sachet of coartem and paracetamol and put them in her handbag.

On getting to immigration at Qatar, I was holding her handbag because she was carrying baby, seeing that she was with a baby, she was allowed to pass without hindrance but I and her bag with me with my own bag was scanned. While her bag with me was being scanned, the scanner sounded an alarm indicating the presence of illicit drugs, see the way these guys focus attention on me, I con be like celebrity. See the way they were making calls, took my passport and ticket, made several documentation, instead of me to be scared or worried, I was like shey na on top Coartem them dey form activity like this?

Then a female officer asked me if I was with any drug, I said no, they cleaned the scanning instrument and scanned everything again but there was no second alarm, so they began to make calls again and I overheard them saying things like "false positive, negative ..." and then they asked me to pack my things and go. My wife was already worried because she was observing from a distance. They still took some of my data and made certain documentations though.

So if you have gotten such advice and plan to go with any drug for any reason, think about it well. For me, I don't think there is any illness that is beyond these guys, so don't bother yourself too much with over preparation.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:32am On Jan 10, 2022
Viruses:
Below is my experience at Qatar airport that may not be seen as a risk but may get you into a watch list. Also, you really do not want to experience it for your own sanity.

Before traveling, we got several advises to go with malaria drugs; that there is no malaria drug in UK and that if the small malaria parasite in our body manifest, no treatment, we will be isolated, so wifey got some sachet of coartem and paracetamol and put them in her handbag.

On getting to immigration at Qatar, I was holding her handbag because she was carrying baby, seeing that she was with a baby, she was allowed to pass without hindrance but I and her bag with me with my own bag was scanned. While her bag with me was being scanned, the scanner sounded an alarm indicating the presence of illicit drugs, see the way these guys focus attention on me, I con be like celebrity. See the way they were making calls, took my passport and ticket, made several documentation, instead of me to be scared or worried, I was like shey na on top Coartem them dey form activity like this?

Then a female officer asked me if I was with any drug, I said no, they cleaned the scanning instrument and scanned everything again but there was no second alarm, so they began to make calls again and I overheard them saying things like "false positive, negative ..." and then they asked me to pack my things and go. My wife was already worried because she was observing from a distance. They still took some of my data and made certain documentations though.

So if you have gotten such advice and plan to go with any drug for any reason, think about it well. For me, I don't think there is any illness that is beyond these guys, so don't bother yourself too much with over preparation.

Na so your head for wave byebye to your bodi........ cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by missjekyll: 7:01am On Jan 10, 2022
onecoder:

Edit:

I use my bankcard. Have never owned an oystercard. You need to tap again at the end inorder to open the barrier.
I always wondered who the tapping out announcement was for.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mrcodebreaker: 7:19am On Jan 10, 2022
Viruses:

Have you seen nhs queue in hospital? I stayed waiting to see doctor from 9am to 4pm. If small coartem fit prevent that stress I don’t mind. But yes think am am well. I traveled with antibiotics, box of panadol and malaria meds in my box without issues sha.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 8:34am On Jan 10, 2022
missjekyll:

I use my bankcard. Have never owned an oystercard. You need to tap again at the end inorder to open the barrier.

Sometimes the gates are wide open at the end of the journey and you just walk out majestically and expensively

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IvanCardozo: 8:35am On Jan 10, 2022
IvanCardozo:

Hello all,

Does this new law that took effect 4am today, by the UK govt mean I can step out. Been waiting for my day 2 result since 31st December that I did it and till now nothing.

Result finally came out midnight, after 10days (day 2 PCR oo). I can now step out grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:37am On Jan 10, 2022
missjekyll:

This card tapping is it please I want to ask something. When you enter the first train you tap and when you get your destination you tap (same routine when you are going back) or is it every station you stop you go and look for the card reader? Abeg I be London JJC lols

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SirWellington(m): 8:39am On Jan 10, 2022
Viruses:

Normally, Qatar and some of these GCC countries like doing over sabi, I remember when I used to use them in visiting Nigeria from dubai, any small thing they will surround you like you are a thief.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by olamydo2: 8:47am On Jan 10, 2022
Good day house, please I want to understand like how much can one rent an apartment in the rural or urban part of uk. I am a fabricator/welder who want to go for greener pasture. Please any other information, I will appreciate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by advanceDNA: 9:11am On Jan 10, 2022
olamydo2:
Good day house, please I want to understand like how much can one rent an apartment in the rural or urban part of uk. I am a fabricator/welder who want to go for greener pasture. Please any other information, I will appreciate.

Uk is a large place....
Some places like london and surrounding areas rent is well over 1000£, u can also get for 800£ outside London
Other places like Scotland, rent can be lower depending on the area... if you are lucky to get council apartment... then lucky you....

Altogether, if you can get a room in a flat to share, it can make things more cheaper

Look well before you leap ooo...most people going to the UK go through education or marriage....
Don’t let scammer agents dupe ...those wicked people are taking advantage of the fact that everyone wants to jaapa these days

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IcecoldDon: 9:19am On Jan 10, 2022
Thanks my Oga, this certainly clears it up. I really appreciate your direct response.

TheGuyFromHR:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DisGuy: 9:48am On Jan 10, 2022
missjekyll:

There are still some stations without barriers and some with tap out machines not too visible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DisGuy: 9:53am On Jan 10, 2022
Aprokodaughter:

This card tapping is it please I want to ask something. When you enter the first train you tap and when you get your destination you tap (same routine when you are going back) or is it every station you stop you go and look for the card reader? Abeg I be London JJC lols

Just entry and final exit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by olamydo2: 10:00am On Jan 10, 2022
When you mean marriage, do you mean having a woman over there and you going over there for marriage.
advanceDNA:

Uk is a large place....
Some places like london and surrounding areas rent is well over 1000£, u can also get for 800£ outside London
Other places like Scotland, rent can be lower depending on the area... if you are lucky to get council apartment... then lucky you....

Altogether, if you can get a room in a flat to share, it can make things more cheaper

Look well before you leap ooo...most people going to the UK go through education or marriage....
Don’t let scammer agents dupe ...those wicked people are taking advantage of the fact that everyone wants to jaapa these days
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by olamydo2: 10:01am On Jan 10, 2022
[When you mean marriage, do you mean having a woman over there and you going over there for marriage. quote author=olamydo2 post=109238816][/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 10, 2022
DisGuy:

Just entry and final exit

Okay thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by advanceDNA: 10:37am On Jan 10, 2022
olamydo2:
When you mean marriage, do you mean having a woman over there and you going over there for marriage.

Yes.... a woman that is a citizen or man if you are gay.... or educational route.... the other route left is the point based and it’s hard becos u have to have an employment first that pays around £25,000 per year...

Like I said, be careful of wicked agents... any offer they give you...bring it here let the elders like justwise and co. help you have a look at it...

Once you hear pay.. 300k now then pay the rest when the visa is out ... guy...run!!!

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by checkmateman: 10:56am On Jan 10, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

This is the same question I was trying to ask in time past, heard people say that your dependent am only apply for visa 6 month before the expiration of the main applicant else no visa for dependent.

I am still looking for an official web link to this which I have not see

(1) (2) (3) ... (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.