Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,877 members, 7,817,585 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (294) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179419 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AOI2016: 3:15pm On Mar 02, 2022
Please are you in Northampton already?
Sykia:
Please, I’m looking for a shared accommodation/house or flat in Northampton. Anyone with available source or person when know person should should help.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harwe: 3:36pm On Mar 02, 2022
How can i reach you plx
scampy:

I have at 780.

5k is available
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 3:47pm On Mar 02, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Another mum in the news recently went shopping when house burnt and left Two sets of twins aged four, and aged three..... how do you live 4 small boys alone

Even the famous Madeleine McCann..... Parents left her at 3 years and twins boys were just two years old. Two doctors who could afford a baby sitter

Shocking but you be surprised how often this happens . No parent abeg should leave a child at home alone

This is disturbing! It is well sha

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 5:23pm On Mar 02, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Another mum in the news recently went shopping when house burnt and left Two sets of twins aged four, and aged three..... how do you live 4 small boys alone

Even the famous Madeleine McCann..... Parents left her at 3 years and twins boys were just two years old. Two doctors who could afford a baby sitter

Shocking but you be surprised how often this happens . No parent abeg should leave a child at home alone

Wow

No words
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 5:23pm On Mar 02, 2022
Endlessgrace:

Send a mail to support@innovate1services.com, they should be able to sort it out.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 5:26pm On Mar 02, 2022
Guys

Asking for a friend,

Person got a job offer in a company but they are not a sponsor.
How can he go about having them apply for a license and sponsor him?
Any tips will be appreciated
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 5:38pm On Mar 02, 2022
canadaishome:
Guys

Asking for a friend,

https://www.gov.uk/uk-visa-sponsorship-employers/apply-for-your-licence

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 5:43pm On Mar 02, 2022
rayralph:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-visa-sponsorship-employers/apply-for-your-licence

The question is not how to apply but on convincing the employer to file for a license to sponsor
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 6:43pm On Mar 02, 2022
canadaishome:

The question is not how to apply but on convincing the employer to file for a license to sponsor
Volunteer to bear the cost of the application and any related charges and remind them that you won't be a flight risk as you are most likely to be restricted to them for the next 5 years.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 6:51pm On Mar 02, 2022
Viruses:

Volunteer to bear the cost of the application and any related charges and remind them that you won't be a flight risk as you are most likely to be restricted to them for the next 5 years.

Wow. Isn’t that a bit much?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AnaCheks(m): 6:54pm On Mar 02, 2022
Good evening all. Please how's Student life in New Castle, are there jobs for both student and dependants? I need your opinions please, i'll appreciate. Northumbria Uni to be precise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:23pm On Mar 02, 2022
canadaishome:
Guys

Asking for a friend,

He should take the job first and start working while still looking for others.
When he has proven his worth he can raise the issue of sponsorship, it is doable to ask them to take any costs from his pay. These costs are not expensive anyway, even if the company doesn't have a sponsor licence in the first place.

A lot of companies avoid it because they think its wahala and expensive, but it's really not, and the management requirements from the HR side are not onerous, at least from what I have seen.

In any event, in his shoes I'd take the first job and continue the search, because the better (longer) your UK employment history, the more likely you are to be or become someone a company would be willing to sponsor.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:27pm On Mar 02, 2022
Mamatukwas:

I know someone who did it.
Obviously, those kind of conversations with HR are more easily done in small to midsize companies.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 7:54pm On Mar 02, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Hi mama, please I sent you an email.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IcecoldDon: 8:16pm On Mar 02, 2022
Hello guys, can you transfer money from your dorm account in example first bank to a another dorm or naira account in another bank in Nigeria? Also, can you withdraw from the dorm account through an ATM here in UK or its only payment you can use the card to make
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by advanceDNA: 8:19pm On Mar 02, 2022
Viruses:

Flight risk??
5 years restriction??
Is he out of prison on parole??

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 8:32pm On Mar 02, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

He should take the job first and start working while still looking for others.
When he has proven his worth he can raise the issue of sponsorship, it is doable to ask them to take any costs from his pay. These costs are not expensive anyway, even if the company doesn't have a sponsor licence in the first place.

A lot of companies avoid it because they think its wahala and expensive, but it's really not, and the management requirements from the HR side are not onerous, at least from what I have seen.

In any event, in his shoes I'd take the first job and continue the search, because the better (longer) your UK employment history, the more likely you are to be or become someone a company would be willing to sponsor.

Thank you for your input
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 9:50pm On Mar 02, 2022
dustydee:

Wish you and your family well.
Staying away might not solve the problem. It may mean having to keep them away more often than not, while still continuing to pay childcare. You also do not know at what stage you were informed and if you child is already exposed to it. I will advise to just continue and if they ask you to keep your child away, in England, you are entiled to a rebate/refund for those days missed.

Yeah. The school has said they would do refund for the supposed 1 week they intend to close to the room. But I have put a stop to the transfer from our account. We hope to get well soonest and decide how best to continue.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 9:54pm On Mar 02, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Pity that you have covid (I had it too last year), but withdrawing children from school on the basis of contact with other covid-positive children isn't the way forward, I think. As the previous poster said, you might find yourself basically home schooling your child for the forseeable future.

Covid is here to stay, suppression has failed and it's time to live with it. Children swap diseases amongst themselves at that age, and covid is just another disease to add to the mix.

I understand accepting and adding it to one of the other infections they share within themself. But the cough from covid is something else. You just pity the little one coughing that deep especially when he’s trying to sleep or sleeping. We are fine and ok, just the coughing for our son. Not something you will wish any other kid. I think schools should close the room when a child contacts it and maybe give some two weeks. So those who has contacted it can show signs and symptoms. Then when they reopen, only those who are well and not showing any symptoms can resume. I just think that will help to curb the immediate spread when one gets it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 12:00am On Mar 03, 2022
IcecoldDon:
Hello guys, can you transfer money from your dorm account in example first bank to a another dorm or naira account in another bank in Nigeria? Also, can you withdraw from the dorm account through an ATM here in UK or its only payment you can use the card to make

Dorm account transfer to different banks in Nigeria is treated as an international transfer ( outbound they call it)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 1:38am On Mar 03, 2022
Endlessgrace:

Send a mail to support@innovate1services.com, they should be able to sort it out.

This is the response I got.
I had already used both browsers and still have the issue.
Abeg anybody have any ideas?

Also, the appointment platform let me book an appointment date without payment. I booked April 15th. The system let me. I didn't realize until today that it is Good Friday which is a bank holiday. I don't know if they will really open that day.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NIKEDEEDS(m): 3:44am On Mar 03, 2022
harwe:
Good Morning I need Pounds here at a good rate. If you have kindly reach out.

Thanks

£2000 is available at N775/£ to UK Accounts only
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 4:25am On Mar 03, 2022
HollyMadison:

Hi mama, please I sent you an email.

Replied. Good morning.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bluebella(m): 5:54am On Mar 03, 2022
Good Morning Special people here.
Many thanks to everyone here for the quality of information shared on this platform. I have learnt alot here.

Please I need sound advice and the way forward.

I and my wife(student) arrived in the UK last December, stayed with a family friend for 10 days, got temporary accommodation (1 room) in a three-bedroom flat till the end of February and moved into a one-bedroom. We have already made an arrangement/commitment for a 3-bedroom which will be ready in the middle of May since we plan that the children will join us here in the UK by end of May.

The one-bedroom (fully furnished) we are staying in currently belongs to a Nigerian who stays and works in London and said that it's a council house and he pays 400pounds monthly and council tax 120pounds monthly (he didnt tell us this initially). Before we rented the place he told us verbally that it is 500pounds for the first month and subsequent months rent will be 400pounds and we agreed (we pay electricity ourselves and I have a virgin media broadband, so no bills inclusive). Since its a council house, his name is on the property and he cannot give us any tenancy agreement, moreover is just for three months, we agreed verbally.
Now fast-forward, the rent for March to April is due by 8th of March but called me on the 28th of Feb and pleaded if the rent can come early because he wants to travel back to Nigeria for a few days. I credited his account the next day with 400pounds. He called back and said the rent is supposed to be 500pounds and not 400pounds, we argued for a few days and i told him that please let's concentrate on solutions because its now my words against his. He called again that I should add 60pounds to the rent, I told him I don't have that money but I can make provision for the upgraded rent(460 pounds from April). He is insisting that I must give him 60pounds now or tell him when I can give him the 60pounds. I told him I don't have that kind of money and I don't want to owe or give empty promises.
Yesterday while I was at work he sent my wife a voice message that we should move out by the 7th of April, that he has told the council that he is moving out by that time (he will move his furniture out) and he will come with the police to make sure we move out(lol) by April 7th.

The challenge now is that the 3-bedroom we have made a commitment for won't be ready till the middle of May.
I don't have the energy of looking for short-stay accommodation now.

Please, elders and wise ones, what should I do?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 6:58am On Mar 03, 2022
bluebella:
Many thanks to everyone here for the quality of information shared on this platform. I have learnt alot here.

I and my wife(student) arrived in the UK last December, stayed with a family friend for 10 days, got temporary accommodation (1 room) in a three-bedroom flat till the end of February and moved into a one-bedroom. We have already made an arrangement/commitment for a 3-bedroom which will be ready in the middle of May since we plan that the children will join us here in the UK by end of May.

The one-bedroom (fully furnished) we are staying in currently belongs to a Nigerian who stays and works in London and said that it's a council house and he pays 400pounds monthly and council tax 120pounds monthly (he didnt tell us this initially). Before we rented the place he told us verbally that it is 500pounds for the first month and subsequent months rent will be 400pounds and we agreed (we pay electricity ourselves and I have a virgin media broadband, so no bills inclusive). Since its a council house, his name is on the property and he cannot give us any tenancy agreement, moreover is just for three months, we agreed verbally.
Now fast-forward, the rent for March to April is due by 8th of March but called me on the 28th of Feb and pleaded if the rent can come early because he wants to travel back to Nigeria for a few days. I credited his account the next day with 400pounds. He called back and said the rent is supposed to be 500pounds and not 400pounds, we argued for a few days and i told him that please let's concentrate on solutions because its now my words against his. He called again that I should add 60pounds to the rent, I told him I don't have that money but I can make provision for the upgraded rent(460 pounds from April). He is insisting that I must give him 60pounds now or tell him when I can give him the 60pounds. I told him I don't have that kind of money and I don't want to owe or give empty promises.
Yesterday while I was at work he sent my wife a voice message that we should move out by the 7th of April, that he has told the council that he is moving out by that time (he will move his furniture out) and he will come with the police to make sure we move out(lol) by April 7th.

The challenge now is that the 3-bedroom we have made a commitment for won't be ready till the middle of May.

We're payment made into his account?

He can't kick you out, if he tries to call the police for him. Don't mention that you are aware it's a council house. In the UK there is a right to a decent house ( I don't know the exact wording). Even legitimate landlords can't just kick someone out on a whim, they need a court order which might take months to years to get.

1. Tell him you aren't going anywhere.
2. Alternatively ask for a full refund and make arrangements for abnb.
3. Do you have text messages etc to show any sing of the transaction? Or key exchange??

I have had my share of Nigerian landlord never again, unless it's coming from s managing agency. Our shower didn't work for 3 months we had to take bucket baths lol.

Try to get a written agreement for any financial transactions next time, receipt invoice etc.

But I don't think you should panic. As you have more leverage than you think

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 7:15am On Mar 03, 2022
What's the average rent for 1 bedroom in the area/town? I will assume that as it is a council house, then there is a likelihood that the £400 is a lot cheaper than the average rent. If that's the case, then maybe you should add some amount to make him happy. It is his words against yours. Next time, get something in writing so there won't be any sort of argument.

You can however insist on not paying and staying because it will be difficult to send you away. Won't advise this though. I always prefer the way of peace.

bluebella:

I and my wife(student) arrived in the UK last December, stayed with a family friend for 10 days, got temporary accommodation (1 room) in a three-bedroom flat till the end of February and moved into a one-bedroom.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by elisinho(m): 7:25am On Mar 03, 2022
bluebella:

For your sanity to avoid all the stress that comes with it as it can also affect your work or study just pay the £60
I know it's better said than done but trust me u won't want that pressure on you again
I hope you get sorted

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 7:32am On Mar 03, 2022
What if after the 60£ he requests for 80?

What if he still attempt to kick them out?

He has already shown he has double mouth so I would not trust him not to use the threat of police/expulsion to extort more money.

Etc

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:53am On Mar 03, 2022
bluebella:

He will not get police involved in this and will not be able to kick you out because he is subletting council house which is illegal.

If you want to pay the £60 go ahead but if you want to teach him a lesson you can still do that as well.

I had a bitter experience with a Nigerian when I was just 4 months old in the UK, though not council house but private rented accommodation he was subletting to me. Wanted to turn me to his cash machine because I was new in the UK.

We fought and finally I moved out without paying him

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 8:32am On Mar 03, 2022
bluebella:

If I were you I will stay put and not give him any more money. It is illegal to sublet a council property. If the council finds out he is subletting the accommodation, they will take him off the tenancy. Also when you realised it was a council house, why did you agree to rent it in the first place? Probably because it was cheap?. If a deal is too good to be true, there’s probably a reason why.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:51am On Mar 03, 2022
bluebella:

He is playing with fire ........... grin

If I was you, with my non religious mind........

Tell him you are going to make a report to the council, that he illegally subletted the flat to you ......

Hin body go calm down ........ wink

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.