Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176315 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by topellycategory: 12:16pm On Sep 28, 2021
Sorry for the Loss Boss man. Accept my condolences. Please stay strong
justwise:

Now this is painful to read..was hoping to get a new passport rather than applying for visa or TC to travel for my mum's burial, i have been monitoring this passport issue since last year as i planned to see her early this year sadly she passed away few days ago. oh well...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 1:13pm On Sep 28, 2021
@justwise

I’m really sorry to hear about your Mum. Please take heart.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoubleN(m): 2:14pm On Sep 28, 2021
I will manage the miles religiously. grin

umarwy:

Just take not that if you exceed the 1k they will know and adjust your premium accordingly, + admin charges.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoubleN(m): 2:14pm On Sep 28, 2021
Thank you. They are the ones that are actually recommending the black box.

Mimzyy:
Try Admiral.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoubleN(m): 2:15pm On Sep 28, 2021
Thank you. Will give them a call ASAP.

TheGuyFromHR:

Try One Call Insurance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Dumebi213: 7:58pm On Sep 28, 2021
Good day everyone, I want to ask from the experienced guys

How soon can I start applying for full-time jobs and is it possible to switch to a tier 2 visa before studies ends? (I would like to finish my studies though)

I'm asking because I updated my linked in location recently and I got a message from recruiter who I share a mutual connection with asking if I won't be interested in applying for a job in Edinburgh where I stay, the pay is around 28k - 32k per annum (I'm not sure if it offers sponsorship, I didn't ask such questions since I already made up my mind not to apply for it).

Also, my condolences to justwise on the demise of his mother, may her soul rest in peace
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by elisinho(m): 8:13pm On Sep 28, 2021
@justwise thoughts and prayers are with you at this trying times, may God give you comfort and solace, and the whole family in general

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 8:13pm On Sep 28, 2021
Hello everyone,
Please can you confirm if the NHS cover for students and their dependents cover prescribed medicines as well or is it just the services?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 8:31pm On Sep 28, 2021
Chukwuka16:

Sorry about your mum's demise, please do accept my condolences.

In case of other times, Nigeria still remains the better place to get a renewal all year round. I got mine renewed early this month under 24 hours with no drama.

Thank you, will consider that as soon as I get to Nigeria
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:34pm On Sep 28, 2021
Dumebi213:

How soon can I start applying for full-time jobs and is it possible to switch to a tier 2 visa before studies ends? (I would like to finish my studies though)

I'm asking because I updated my linked in location recently and I got a message from recruiter who I share a mutual connection with asking if I won't be interested in applying for a job in Edinburgh where I stay, the pay is around 28k - 32k per annum (I'm not sure if it offers sponsorship, I didn't ask such questions since I already made up my mind not to apply for it).

Also, my condolences to justwise on the demise of his mother, may her soul rest in peace

You should be looking for graduate programs starting September 2022 now. Usually advertised up to a year in advance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 8:35pm On Sep 28, 2021
topellycategory:
Sorry for the Loss Boss man. Accept my condolences. Please stay strong

elisinho:
@justwise thoughts and prayers are with you at this trying times, may God give you comfort and solace, and the whole family in general

Mamatukwas:
@justwise

I’m really sorry to hear about your Mum. Please take heart.

Thank you all, I appreciate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Dumebi213: 9:02pm On Sep 28, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

You should be looking for graduate programs starting September 2022 now. Usually advertised up to a year in advance.

Thank you, I'll start looking at this

I should add that the job opening is not related to what I'm studying rather the skills and short employment (about 6 months) I had in Nigeria before leaving.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Giltwise: 9:16pm On Sep 28, 2021
Oh @justwise. Sorry about your loss. Accept my condolences.. May God give the family the fortitude to bear this huge loss.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 10:00pm On Sep 28, 2021
mizGene:
Hello everyone,
Please can you confirm if the NHS cover for students and their dependents cover prescribed medicines as well or is it just the services?

For Scotland (Glasgow) yes. My wife gets her prescribe drugs for free from the pharmacy.

I don’t know if it’s same across the UK. But I would expect it to be.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 11:14pm On Sep 28, 2021
Chukwuka16:

Sorry about your mum's demise, please do accept my condolences.

In case of other times, Nigeria still remains the better place to get a renewal all year round. I got mine renewed early this month under 24 hours with no drama.

Really? “Without Drama” ?
You mean it?
24 hours? No drama? For real?

Does “without drama” also mean without “roger”?
As in, fill form online. Pay (officially legal fees) online. Walk into NIS office. Do biometric capture. Go home. 24 hours later, passport was ready?
Biko, which passport office was that please?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 11:15pm On Sep 28, 2021
mizGene:
Hello everyone,
Can't answer your question, but if you require any sort of medication on a monthly basis, then you're better off getting a prescription prepayment certificate. You'll pay £10/monthly covering all your meds.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 11:15pm On Sep 28, 2021
mizGene:
Hello everyone,

In England & Wales, you pay for your prescription medicines (usually ~ £9 per Med or so).

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:26pm On Sep 28, 2021
KOVIC19COVID20:

Really? “Without Drama” ?
You mean it?
24 hours? No drama? For real?

Does “without drama” also mean without “roger”?
As in, fill form online. Pay (officially legal fees) online. Walk into NIS office. Do biometric capture. Go home. 24 hours later, passport was ready?
Biko, which passport office was that please?
Yes it is possible. I know someone who paid online and went in for biometrics without roger. Of course the guys will not be happy but it is very possible but not at all NIS locations.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 11:46pm On Sep 28, 2021
You can start applying for Graduate programs now. Any other roles will have to be close to you ending your MSc program as they wouldn't wait for you.

Yes it's possible to switch directly to tier 2. Also lookup sponsorship list so both don't waste each others time with series of interviews or by letting them know from the onset you require sponsorship.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-of-licensed-sponsors-workers

Dumebi213:

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by 9jawear(m): 1:56am On Sep 29, 2021
looking for a Nigerian in the uk to collaborate with
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OkanlawonB(m): 2:01am On Sep 29, 2021
@justwise
pls accept my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your mum.
May the Lord grant her eternal rest and the perpetual light shine upon her, Amen.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by girlsupersonic(f): 4:59am On Sep 29, 2021
Update on my passport application.
So i registered in April and made payment in May. I decided to go to the high commission yesterday just to ask questions and I was attended to. Thank God. The whole process was less than 30 mins.
The man at the gate was very nice. 20 pounds postal order and a delivery envelope was what i got. Though one other guy started shouting that i paid in may and theyre still attending to April. Saying i should get a 120pounds postal order insted. His oga's word trumped his own sha and they allowed me in for biometrics and all.

Fast track is officially suspended but it is still on for 120pounds postal order. Only with a caveat that youll sign some undertaken, cant remember what it was.
Officially free from passport wahala wheew thank God!

Mimzyy:
You have to wait until you get an email confirmation for your appointment which will most likely be next year tbh.(I paid since May and I’m still waiting).

They are currently attending to April applicants.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:06am On Sep 29, 2021
Dumebi213:

Thank you, I'll start looking at this

I should add that the job opening is not related to what I'm studying rather the skills and short employment (about 6 months) I had in Nigeria before leaving.

If you only consider jobs related to what you're studying, you might not get anything any time soon when you start searching.
Again, if you only consider jobs where the employer specifically offers sponsorship, the foregoing might also hold true.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:09am On Sep 29, 2021
girlsupersonic:
Update on my passport application.
So i registered in April and made payment in May. I decided to go to the high commission yesterday just to ask questions and I was attended to. Thank God. The whole process was less than 30 mins.
The man at the gate was very nice. 20 pounds postal order and a delivery envelope was what i got. Though one other guy started shouting that i paid in may and theyre still attending to April. Saying i should get a 120pounds postal order insted. His oga's word trumped his own sha and they allowed me in for biometrics and all.

Fast track is officially suspended but it is still on for 120pounds postal order. Only with a caveat that youll sign some undertaken, cant remember what it was.
Officially free from passport wahala wheew thank God!

The bolded is hilarious.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:34am On Sep 29, 2021
Chreze:

For Scotland (Glasgow) yes. My wife gets her prescribe drugs for free from the pharmacy.

I don’t know if it’s same across the UK. But I would expect it to be.

It's not.
Scottish mid-income earners and above pay more tax than the rest of the UK, so the SNP throws in services such as this one and the extra 15 hours free nursery school.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by claremont(m): 8:13am On Sep 29, 2021
mizGene:
Hello everyone,

It’s currently £9.35 per prescription item in England. NHS surcharge doesn’t cover this. It’s free if you are pregnant and have a maternity exemption, children and adults above 60. It’s also free for people on certain benefits, which shouldn’t apply to immigrants who pay the surcharge anyway as they are excluded from public funds.

Bear in mind that the £9.35/item fee is the contribution to the NHS. It isn’t the cost of the medicine, neither does it go into the pocket of the pharmacy who are collecting this fee on behalf of the NHS. If the actual cost of the medicine to the NHS is £1 or £1000, the fee paid is still £9.35.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jtech17: 8:19am On Sep 29, 2021
Hello everyone and gurus in the house @justwise my condolences..may God give you the strength to go through this difficult time...
Please,gurus in the house I have a question which is partly UK and partly CANADA...
Is it possible to continue the process of CANADA PR visa, while in the UK,and using the UK route, having started the process already in Nigeria... all suggestions are welcomed... thanks in anticipation, my inestimable gurus...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Innocent94(m): 9:05am On Sep 29, 2021
level10:

u dey find help and you still get bad attitude on top
pls read between d lines again and tell me d bad attitude,u just open ur mouth talk cos u want to sound funny,last i checked i didn’t insult anyone,I just asked to be enlightened,atleast if u can’t help be reasonable
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bolagabriella: 9:10am On Sep 29, 2021
Mamatukwas:

Pele jare. I dey oh. Hope you’ve been sorted.
Hi Mamatukwas
I need to change naira to pounds.
Pls can you pm me. I'm trying to pm you but it's giving me error message.
Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 9:53am On Sep 29, 2021
jtech17:

Is it possible to continue the process of CANADA PR visa, while in the UK,and using the UK route, having started the process already in Nigeria all suggestions are welcomed... thanks in anticipation, my inestimable gurus...

YES
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 10:09am On Sep 29, 2021
KOVIC19COVID20:

In England & Wales, you pay for your prescription medicines (usually ~ £9 per Med or so).
Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 10:11am On Sep 29, 2021
claremont:

It’s currently £9.35 per prescription item in England. NHS surcharge doesn’t cover this. It’s free if you are pregnant and have a maternity exemption, children and adults above 60. It’s also free for people on certain benefits, which shouldn’t apply to immigrants who pay the surcharge anyway as they are excluded from public funds.

Bear in mind that the £9.35/item fee is the contribution to the NHS. It isn’t the cost of the medicine, neither does it go into the pocket of the pharmacy who are collecting this fee on behalf of the NHS. If the actual cost of the medicine to the NHS is £1 or £1000, the fee paid is still £9.35.

Interesting.... fair enough.

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.