Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,344 members, 7,860,882 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:00 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (364) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1232145 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 5:42pm On Apr 06, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Also to add grin the fact that a profile was viewed doesn't mean it had any single impact in the decision to reject or approve. It very speculative.

The amount of linkedin I look at weekly partly due to curiosity aproko , I should have lost my job by now if my employer was here, giving that I currently work in Financial sector
Yes it is speculative but it can also be interpreted as discriminatory if the person was refused a service after the profile viewing. Regarding your Love for Aproko, if you are getting the names from your company’s data and going through their names on these external social media platforms, well then, GoodLuck to you!

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:47pm On Apr 06, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Also to add grin the fact that a profile was viewed doesn't mean it had any single impact in the decision to reject or approve. It very speculative.

The amount of linkedin I look at weekly partly due to curiosity aproko , I should have lost my job by now if my employer was here, giving that I currently work in Financial sector

Precisely.
Googling someone's name in some cases to see what comes up is done.
To have a feel for what kind of persons they are (people who rant a lot on FB for instance or who put their whole lives on the internet or to get a feel of if they have any specific interests, etc., etc.). If I google my own name for instance, the second hit is my LinkedIn profile, and I have actually just noticed that the damn thing is still showing my location as good old Naija grin.

It's publicly available information so is not PPI.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 5:47pm On Apr 06, 2022
Amarathripple0:

If you register your name (which is data by the way) and details on a company’s website and sign up as a user, and a staff member pulls that name and inserts it on a third-party social media app to look you up and you can clearly see that they went through your profile, then you can claim that there has been a breach. Yes, your social media page is public, but that information was not theirs to use for what appears to be personal purposes. Unless LinkedIn is one of their "products" and you consented to them going through your personal page on their terms and conditions, then yea, all is good, but in this case, John Lewis used my data on a platform they shouldn’t have. I hope this explains it so people can stop assuming that because it’s a social media page and that it’s public, they have a right to access it because that’s just a lack of awareness.

And by the way, under GDPR data protection, it state that information is considered personal data whenever an individual can be identified, directly or indirectly, “by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological"

Mate! Do what your heart tells you. Especially if you feel in your heart that you have been violated. The moment they cancel your order after paying with your debit card they put themselves in big trouble because they had viewed your profile. Let them justify why they need to cancel your order right after doing so.

There are ways for a financial institutions verify transactions, without even checking your social media, that part is laughable but not even that relevant. Too many people don’t even know their rights, it’s literally scary, unless your name is linked to fraud or something like that then I see no justification for them to cancel an order that you paid for using your debit card.

Good luck anyways. Don’t let anyone stop you from pursing what you feel was injustice to you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:56pm On Apr 06, 2022
Amarathripple0:

If you register your name (which is data by the way) and details on a company’s website and sign up as a user, and a staff member pulls that name and inserts it on a third-party social media app to look you up and you can clearly see that they went through your profile, then you can claim that there has been a breach. Yes, your social media page is public, but that information was not theirs to use for what appears to be personal purposes. Unless LinkedIn is one of their "products" and you consented to them going through your personal page on their terms and conditions, then yea, all is good, but in this case, John Lewis used my data on a platform they shouldn’t have. I hope this explains it so people can stop assuming that because it’s a social media page and that it’s public, they have a right to access it because that’s just a lack of awareness.

And by the way, under GDPR data protection, it state that information is considered personal data whenever an individual can be identified, directly or indirectly, “by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological"

P.S. I'm not holding brief for John Lewis here.
But you cited the [UK] GDPR inappropriately.
You just defined personal data as set out in the GDPR.
But in such a case, a controller could plausibly rely on Article 6(1)(f) - legitimate bases for processing of personal data, purpose, necessity and balancing.

1. Does John Lewis have a legitimate interest in conducting an quick review of the use of your card, extending to a check of your online presence? Arguably, yes - to prevent fraud.
2. Was it necessary? Again, arguably, yes, fraud costs the UK economy millions each year (their insurers would pay directly in such cases, but we all ultimately pay for these losses)
3. Does it outweigh your own interests? They can claim so, arguably its in your interests not to have your card used for fraud, which they claim they're trying to prevent, and in any case, that's objective and for a court/adjudicator to decide if it ever gets so far.

Again, I don't speak for John Lewis here and do not know if they have or have not proceeded appropriately in this situation, as I work in neither fraud prevention nor finserv.

And lest I forget - most companies might not in any case disclose what they do by way of DPP or anti-fraud measures.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 6:11pm On Apr 06, 2022
Amarathripple0:
Good morning elders,

Please I would like to find out if this is discrimination or if I’m just overreacting. The gist is, I tried to order a laptop worth £800+ from John Lewis using the PayPal pay in 3 option. Mind you I’ve used this feature multiple times on other stores without issues. Anyway, John Lewis sent me an email saying the order has been cancelled because I failed security check. I called John Lewis to confirm why this happened and the customer service rep told me that it’s probably because I used paypal but I should either try again or pay at once. I decided to try again, same PayPal and the same thing happened. Now here’s where it got interesting, I randomly decided to go through my LinkedIn and noticed that a staff of John Lewis in their frauds department had gone through my LinkedIn Profile. I didn’t think anything of it and since I needed a new laptop urgently, I decided to just pay at once and order it with my debit card, which I did and approved the payment on my Barclays app. However the same thing happened again; I was rejected a third time. So the fact that a staff from their frauds department went through my page and I still got rejected a third time is giving me signals that they concluded that I must be a fraudster or something perhaps because I’m black African because how do I get rejected a third time for trying to pay for a service with instant debit from my account that has more than enough funds for the laptop. I’ve spoken to John Lewis about this and about a staff from their fraud unit going through my LinkedIn page and they keep feigning clueless and they said they’ll contact me but they haven’t. My friend thinks I should speak to a lawyer about it but I think that’s a bit intense. Should I just ignore and move on from this or should I report this as consumer discrimination. I’m confused.

I think you are over reacting.
Based on the chronology of events you made here, it was in this order:

A. You tried PayPal, it was rejected.

B. You checked your LinkedIn profile and saw that a LinkedIn staff viewed your profile (presumably after the PayPal rejection)

C. You next uses your debit card. This was subsequently rejected too.

Conclusion: The decision made in C was as a result of the LinkedIn profile view.

How about A? Why did PayPal refuse (in the first instant?)Have you bothered to research that?

My take: Spare your energy for more serious issues.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adazeal: 6:16pm On Apr 06, 2022
Please family, how and where does one get a full immunization history to meet a job requirement?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 6:18pm On Apr 06, 2022
Amarathripple0:
Good morning elders,

Please I would like to find out if this is discrimination or if I’m just overreacting. The gist is, I tried to order a laptop worth £800+ from John Lewis using the PayPal pay in 3 option. Mind you I’ve used this feature multiple times on other stores without issues. Anyway, John Lewis sent me an email saying the order has been cancelled because I failed security check. I called John Lewis to confirm why this happened and the customer service rep told me that it’s probably because I used paypal but I should either try again or pay at once. I decided to try again, same PayPal and the same thing happened. Now here’s where it got interesting, I randomly decided to go through my LinkedIn and noticed that a staff of John Lewis in their frauds department had gone through my LinkedIn Profile. I didn’t think anything of it and since I needed a new laptop urgently, I decided to just pay at once and order it with my debit card, which I did and approved the payment on my Barclays app. However the same thing happened again; I was rejected a third time. So the fact that a staff from their frauds department went through my page and I still got rejected a third time is giving me signals that they concluded that I must be a fraudster or something perhaps because I’m black African [/b]because how do I get rejected a third time for trying to pay for a service with instant debit from my account that has more than enough funds for the laptop. I’ve spoken to John Lewis about this and about a staff from their fraud unit going through my LinkedIn page and they keep feigning clueless and they said they’ll contact me but they haven’t. [b]My friend thinks I should speak to a lawyer about it but I think that’s a bit intense. Should I just ignore and move on from this or should I report this as consumer discrimination. I’m confused.

You said their email mentioned you failed security check - which is not uncommon.

Lawyers fees dear die…

“Perhaps because I’m black “ that is 100% speculation. Based on info available to you, there is NO WAY you can prove that, easily.

B. You checked your LinkedIn profile and saw that a LinkedIn staff viewed your profile (presumably after the PayPal rejection)

Conclusion: The decision made in C was as a result of the LinkedIn profile view.

How about A? Why did PayPal refuse (in the first instant?)Have you bothered to research that?

My take: Spare your energy for more serious battles
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SPDAZZY(f): 6:19pm On Apr 06, 2022
Solumtoya:

Book to London then use National Express Coach to Leeds for £20 or less. National Express has an office in Heathrow or you book online. A train would be more expensive

Yes, Wakanow is okay, from my experience.

Safe trip.

Many thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 6:21pm On Apr 06, 2022
Adazeal:
Please family, how and where does one get a full immunization history to meet a job requirement?

Depends, if you work for the NHS then they would have it, contact OH. If not probably your GP would have it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:25pm On Apr 06, 2022
Adazeal:

Also, if you've moved from Nigeria and haven't any records of immunizations, entities like the NHS will usually arrange for you to [re]take those they deem necessary for the role.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:29pm On Apr 06, 2022
KOVIC19COVID20:

You said their email mentioned you failed security check - which is not uncommon.

Lawyers fees dear die…

“Perhaps because I’m black “ that is 100% speculation. Based on info available to you, there is NO WAY you can prove that, easily.

Detailed analysis.
As an aside, there's something called a conditional fee arrangement whereby a lawyer might agree to act for a claimant in a case they think has a very good chance of success, and in which case their fee will be paid as a percentage of whatever damages the court eventually awards. If the case is lost, nothing for them.

Just letting the OP know her options cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 6:31pm On Apr 06, 2022
KOVIC19COVID20:

Lawyers fees dear die…

PayPal approved the payment, if PayPal rejects it then I won’t be directed back to John Lewis’ website with an order confirmation. I’ve been using PayPal since Nigeria so I’ve never really had issues with them. It was John Lewis who rejected the payment. Oh well, it is what it is.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adazeal: 6:32pm On Apr 06, 2022
Ray7878:

Depends, if you work for the NHS then they would have it, contact OH. If not probably your GP would have it.

Alright, thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adazeal: 6:34pm On Apr 06, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Also, if you've moved from Nigeria and haven't any records of immunizations, entities like the NHS will usually arrange for you to [re]take those they deem necessary for the role.

I'd call home to see what I can get and proceed from there. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 6:34pm On Apr 06, 2022
Ray7878:

Mate! Do what your heart tells you. Especially if you feel in your heart that you have been violated. The moment they cancel your order after paying with your debit card they put themselves in big trouble because they had viewed your profile. Let them justify why they need to cancel your order right after doing so.

There are ways for a financial institutions verify transactions, without even checking your social media, that part is laughable but not even that relevant. Too many people don’t even know their rights, it’s literally scary, unless your name is linked to fraud or something like that then I see no justification for them to cancel an order that you paid for using your debit card.

Good luck anyways. Don’t let anyone stop you from pursing what you feel was injustice to you.
Thank you so much! I Appreciate smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by KOVIC19COVID20: 6:42pm On Apr 06, 2022
Amarathripple0:

PayPal approved the payment, if PayPal rejects it then I won’t be directed back to John Lewis’ website with an order confirmation. I’ve been using PayPal since Nigeria so I’ve never really had issues with them. It was John Lewis who rejected the payment. Oh well, it is what it is.

Oh cool.
Do you have a time lapse of events?
Did JL reject AFTER their staff (allegedly) went through your LinkedIn profile? Or was it AFTER the staff went through that they rejected? Do you have clear empirical evidence of which happened first?

What if the LinkedIn profile view happened AFTER the rejection? Will you still have a case that the rejection was because of the melanin in your epidermis?

Let me even ask a cheeky one… Have you updated your PayPal profile to reflect that you are now in the UK, not in Nigeria?
I am not saying that’s the case, but a PayPal profile (from Nigeria), making a purchase, to be delivered in the UK, and probably there is some mismatch somewhere… it is JL duty to prevent fraud. This is me being cheekily speculative.

Sincerely, if I were you, I would preserve my energy for bigger fish.
You haven’t been in the UK for more than 7 months (on your current sojourn). Reserve the energy (and Lawyer fees) for things like ILR application Etc…

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 6:45pm On Apr 06, 2022
KOVIC19COVID20:

Lawyers fees dear die…

No A and the bold... seems to have been lost in the quest for colour victimisation . Also Amarathripple0 while your experience is your experience so nobody can take that away . You are entitled to look at it all and feel profiled rightly or wrongly

But another thing that is lost is the amount of time you been in the UK. If I am correct you barely 9 months in the UK. You don't expect everywhere will issue you a line of credit just like that which was what started the rejection.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 6:51pm On Apr 06, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Yes it is speculative but it can also be interpreted as discriminatory if the person was refused a service after the profile viewing. Regarding your Love for Aproko, if you are getting the names from your company’s data and going through their names on these external social media platforms, well then, GoodLuck to you!

Thanks for the Goodluck smiley

Btw the LinkedIn is not my real name or real details
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 6:57pm On Apr 06, 2022
KOVIC19COVID20:

Oh cool.
Do you have a time lapse of events?
Did JL reject AFTER their staff (allegedly) went through your LinkedIn profile? Or was it AFTER the staff went through that they rejected? Do you have clear empirical evidence of which happened first?

What if the LinkedIn profile view happened AFTER the rejection? Will you still have a case that the rejection was because of the melanin in your epidermis?

Let me even ask a cheeky one… Have you updated your PayPal profile to reflect that you are now in the UK, not in Nigeria?
I am not saying that’s the case, but a PayPal profile (from Nigeria), making a purchase, to be delivered in the UK, and probably there is some mismatch somewhere… it is JL duty to prevent fraud. This is me being cheekily speculative.

Sincerely, if I were you, I would preserve my energy for bigger fish.
You haven’t been in the UK for more than 7 months (on your current sojourn). Reserve the energy (and Lawyer fees) for things like ILR application Etc…
I noticed the person went through my profile after the second cancellation email. I became concerned when the third transaction happened with my debit card and I was still rejected. So it just seemed like I was being profiled and not once when I spoke to customer service about this complaint did anyone try to explain properly or apologise or even ask me to try a 4th time, that they’ve cleared me or anything like that which I found upsetting as well

Regarding my PayPal account, yes, I cancelled my Nigerian PayPal account and opened a new one the moment I got here. Wo! Las Las, I go dey alright, na who don chop dey contact lawyer.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:01pm On Apr 06, 2022
LagosismyHome:

No A and the bold... seems to have been lost in the quest for colour victimisation . Also Amarathripple0 while your experience is your experience so nobody can take that away . You are entitled to look at it all and feel profiled rightly or wrongly

But another thing that is lost is the amount of time you been in the UK. If I am correct you barely 9 months in the UK. You don't expect everywhere will issue you a line of credit just like that which was what started the rejection.
I have used Klarna pay in 3 and PayPal’s Pay in 3 multiple times since I got here, it’s accessible to everyone. The issue isn’t the credit payment which I acknowledged may have been the mistake, the issue is using my debit card and the payment not going through after someone had viewed my social media page. See I don tire for the matter sef and it looks like I’ve derailed the thread because na my matter full this thread now. We can go back to status quo biko.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 7:13pm On Apr 06, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Omo I also asked for advise today and I’ve just learned that when it comes to personal issues on public forums, then I should keep my mouth shut because the ignorance and lack of empathy is just mind blowing.
I am genuienly surprised at some of the comments about your issue. Please do not be deterred and follow it up. You have a very good case and moreover what you are asking for is just an acknowledgement of wrong from them. Maybe because I have undergone GDPR training that's why it's easy for me to see the wrong here.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 7:23pm On Apr 06, 2022
E done do… (Headache oh)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 7:36pm On Apr 06, 2022
Lol.
I work in financial services and my take is that both sides of the debate are right.
In normal circumstances there would be no reason for someone to link this lady's online profile(s) from her personal information and that could be classed a breach, DPP fail, whatever.

If, as is possible, them bounce the original Paypal credit payment for something CIFAS or no match-related (understood that the lady has used 3-1 several times, possible the almighty computer wey dey like say no was also having a headache or a bad day), then there might be reasonable grounds for the employee (who left a clear trail when doing so) to run a quick online check as part of anti-fraud measures. I find it very difficult to believe that someone not authorized to do such a thing would do so that openly thus opening themselves and their employer up to possible FCA sanctions.

Anyhow wey e take be, madam has filed a complaint, make we see the outcome. Madam, I see say the various opinions on the matter don dey give you headache, but na you carry am come, which means say you should expect people to both agree and disagree with you, and not see it from your point of view only.

Make we leave am there.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 7:40pm On Apr 06, 2022
dustydee:

I am genuienly surprised at some of the comments about your issue. Please do not be deterred and follow it up. You have a very good case and moreover what you are asking for is just an acknowledgement of wrong from them. Maybe because I have undergone GDPR training that's why it's easy for me to see the wrong here.

I am literally shocked as well. It doesn’t matter if he has only been in the UK for 3 days. And he doesn’t even need to go right through to a solicitor.

There are avenues for him to go through before it even get to that stage. Their CEO (Sharon white) who is a black lady herself, the managing director email is around etc.

You don’t even have to spend a single penny to get to the bottom of this.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 7:46pm On Apr 06, 2022
Good Evening Everyone.

I would like to make a clarification on council tax payment.

I stay in an apartment with a student. The student name is on the house agreement with mine.

I understand a student is exempted from paying Council tax but we received the Council tax bill few days ago.

How should we go about it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 7:48pm On Apr 06, 2022
LagosismyHome:

RIP to aprokodaugter you shal be missed until you apear with a different user name grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 7:49pm On Apr 06, 2022
Observation:- no hidden post or insult on the current debate going on and now 3 pages on. ***claps**maturity restored and confirmed. Pls no one should come for me oo, I am fasting grin[center][/center]

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 7:50pm On Apr 06, 2022
umarwy:

RIP to aprokodaugter you shal be missed until you apear with a different user name grin grin grin

Lol you want her to show face with this call out smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Divine88: 7:53pm On Apr 06, 2022
dustydee:

What really baffles me on here is that a lot of folks on this forum will go back and start digging your immigration history to know how long you’ve been here or what stage of immigration applications you are currently at.
Like someone said earlier, once you bring your wahala on here, you better be ready for anything!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:54pm On Apr 06, 2022
fatima04:
Observation:- no hidden post or insult on the current debate going on and now 3 pages on. ***claps**maturity restored and confirmed. Pls no one should come for me oo, I am fasting grin[center][/center]

And that's how it should be.
I'm still waiting to see if someone with experience/knowledge in fraud prevention can come and give us insight.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:54pm On Apr 06, 2022
fatima04:

grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 7:55pm On Apr 06, 2022
fatima04:

Lol you want her to show face with this call out smiley

Abeg oh let her allow us fast in peace grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Australian Student Visa Enquiries Part 3 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.