Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (576) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176415 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:57am On Aug 20, 2022
Regex:
Who used the new ukvi ID app to change their visa status, from student to the skilled worker visa, did you receive your BRP upon successful application, if you did, how long did it take? If not, how can one travel put of UK and back without a physical proof?

Justwise, and anyone with experience.

Lexusgs430

Anything immigration, is not my forte........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 8:09am On Aug 20, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Thought you are Jesu Orobo cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:05am On Aug 20, 2022
icon8:

Thought you are Jesu Orobo cheesy cheesy

No o, it's Jesu Oyingbo.......... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:22am On Aug 20, 2022
Mind stating the UNILAG degree in full as it appears on the certificate or transcript. That would assist with insightful comments.
e.g Bachelor of Nursing Science (B.N.Sc), BSc Computer Science, BSc (Hons) Electrical Engineering...
PS: a 'Pass' is not awarded an Honours. Typically, 3rd class in 9ja are neither (stand to be corrected on this though).
NB: in some countries and programs, honours is a distinct one year study program.

Inbtw, my BTech (Hons) from LAUTECH was worthy of a MSc.
Sellany:
Hello all,
So I just got my statement of comparability from UK NARIC and it states that my Bsc from Unilag does not have honours comparable with the UK honours. ...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 9:34am On Aug 20, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Omo.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 11:53am On Aug 20, 2022
-

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DrObum(m): 12:38pm On Aug 20, 2022
kode12:
-
So, if person come kpai the dog use am do suya, they go kill am be that?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Queengolden(f): 1:20pm On Aug 20, 2022
Please does Lemonade collect charges for sending money from UK to naija and what is there latest rate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 1:28pm On Aug 20, 2022
semmyk:
Mind stating the UNILAG degree in full as it appears on the certificate or transcript. That would assist with insightful comments.
e.g Bachelor of Nursing Science (B.N.Sc), BSc Computer Science, BSc (Hons) Electrical Engineering...
PS: a 'Pass' is not awarded an Honours. Typically, 3rd class in 9ja are either (stand to be corrected on this though).
NB: in some countries and programs, honours is a distinct one year study program.

Inbtw, my BTech (Hons) from LAUTECH was worthy of a MSc.

There's Pass in Uni. The one we used to call "Let my people go". It's after 3rd Class. Although, I read that NUC banned Unis from issuing it some years back but I don't know sha. But I'm sure people who graduated before that (2014) have Pass. More like, Certificate of Attendance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adebayo82: 2:01pm On Aug 20, 2022
Please can somebody share with me the link to apply for American credit card, Amex.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 2:03pm On Aug 20, 2022
Adebayo82:
Please can somebody share with me the link to apply for American credit card, Amex.

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/jEDIDAcKK3?XL=MNANS

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 2:21pm On Aug 20, 2022
iboboyswag:
The big ish here is that human nature is very funny.

It starts with one bad job to keep body and soul. Then one year rolls by, then two. But because body and soul is being taken care of, you tend to not make the most effort.

There is serious motivation in lack. And subtle satisfaction is a killer of dreams.
confirm
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2022
Queengolden:
Please does Lemonade collect charges for sending money from UK to naija and what is there latest rate

No. Rate 805

I use Lemonade Finance to send money to Africa. You get GBP 10.0 when you verify your account and send over GBP 100.0 with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/mAG2HRJDRDnA6NFi6

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 8:23pm On Aug 20, 2022
Finally all caught up after taking 1week break. grin.
This UK hustle is not for the weak minded. We move.

Una wehdone ooo.. protagonist and counter pro antagonist
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 9:22pm On Aug 20, 2022
jadepinkett:
@mamatukwas... I sent email request.
How the shipping venture dey go? grin

I hope I answered you? Summer holiday carry me go where I no know but we have survived another one grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Advision: 10:04pm On Aug 20, 2022
Goke7:

Let's be a bit realistic, except you get a high skilled job directly from outside the UK, it's almost impossible to even get a 40k job in few months after arriving as most high paying jobs may require security clearance that requires at least six months residence in the uk. I agree we shouldn't put too much pressure on folks who are just coming in as it may be counter productive. Rather we should encourage people to work their way up to that high paying level.

Am a stickler for the slow and steady rise in the uk...

Dont know where you got this statistics from and the security clearance thing from but this could be misleading people.

When I arrived the uk, 45k was about the least I was offered and I know there are sectors that pay much more like IT and Tech. And I dont even think 45k is high paying particularly if you stay around the london area

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 10:22pm On Aug 20, 2022
Regex:
Who used the new ukvi ID app to change their visa status, from student to the skilled worker visa, did you receive your BRP upon successful application, if you did, how long did it take? If not, how can one travel put of UK and back without a physical proof?

Justwise, and anyone with experience.

Lexusgs430
I did, got BRP after 3 weeks even though I paid for priority.. You are instructed not to travel out whilst the application is being processed. Not sure if there is a way around it...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 10:56pm On Aug 20, 2022
mizGene:

I did, got BRP after 3 weeks even though I paid for priority.. You are instructed not to travel out whilst the application is being processed. Not sure if there is a way around it...

Please when did you receive decision mail with priority?

I am thinking of withdrawing my application and reapply to pay for priority service. My standard application to switch from t4 to Skilled Worker Visa is now over 6 months
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:28pm On Aug 20, 2022
Moving on. Please where can I find cleaners here in the UK, I wasn’t really impressed by my random google search. Any suggestion would be helpful please. Thank you

P.S . Them no show Nigerians love last night oh, them deck AJ and put Usman to sleep, my guy wey we dey hope say go break world record pass out. cry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 11:38pm On Aug 20, 2022
CheesyTee:

Please when did you receive decision mail with priority?

I am thinking of withdrawing my application and reapply to pay for priority service. My standard application to switch from t4 to Skilled Worker Visa is now over 6 months
Actually decision mail was 3 weeks, BRP came in about 3-4 days later
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 6:03am On Aug 21, 2022
mizGene:

OK. I will wait for it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 6:15am On Aug 21, 2022
Viruses:
The news making the rounds on social media now is about the mummified bodies found in a ritualist den in Benin city early this week, you need to see that video...human beings were dried and stacked whole like kpanla fish, some never even dry finish.

Those are the outcome of get rich quick syndrome, yet we condemn the earnings of legitimate hussle.

Nigerian bloggers are some of the worst in the world. They don’t investigate stories before bringing them on social media. When I was sent that video on WhatsApp, I knew there was more to the story. It turns out the it was an abandoned mortuary. Stories like this don’t do good for Nigeria. It creates traffic for bloggers but causes damage to the country, that’s why we should be very careful when passing on such videos. We don’t have to believe stories of all these illiterate bloggers especially when it doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 6:27am On Aug 21, 2022
Advision:

Dont know where you got this statistics from and the security clearance thing from but this could be misleading people.

When I arrived the uk, 45k was about the least I was offered and I know there are sectors that pay much more like IT and Tech. And I dont even think 45k is high paying particularly if you stay around the london area

Am not misleading people pls, this is why I hardly comment on sensitive stuff like this here cos some folks will want to impose their personal experience on folks here who don't even have the kind of qualifications others have to land such roles. How many folks entering the Uk have prior IT skills to land high-paying roles or is it everyone that is into IT? What some of us are saying is please don't put too much pressure on newbies who are still trying to understand the environment. Are we saying nobody should aspire higher? Let's help people manage their expectations so they don't make baseless assumptions.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 6:37am On Aug 21, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I think people tend to confuse personal opinion or assumptions with facts. I literally shared screenshots in an earlier post of messages I get from recruiters with salaries ranging from 50k upward. I also do a lot of research on the company I’m interviewing with and use that as a benchmark to mention my salary expectations. The only blocker for me is that I’m still a student and this can put employers off . However, this would end in September and I can work full time from Oct in a role I’m experienced in. Hopefully, I’d come here to testify because honestly, our expectations are not unrealistic.

@the bolded, this is what I was saying earlier, that you're a student means you can't even pass any security clearance for such roles now. Have you been given the job? No of course. The recruiters sending you messages does not mean you have successfully scaled the process. I have been there. We all have to work ourselves up there.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 6:57am On Aug 21, 2022
Someone should please drop another controversial topic. This one don stale abeg cheesy

Our brother took too many heavy punches to the head last night, so tey he become motivational speaker lmao grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 7:02am On Aug 21, 2022
Ticha:

I have almost 20 years teaching experience from 3 countries. The maximum I would ever earn in the UK unless I become a school head, is about £37k. If I moved to a private school, I'd earn max 10k more for a much more greater responsibility. And a school head/ principal salary often caps out at around 60/70k as well. My starting salary was £18,300 so in 20 years even with increasing wages, this is where I top out.
There are certain sectors that pay extremely well. Majority do not. It's just what it is. It's also why the average UK wage is under £40k.

I do understand what Amara means. The fact that I'd never earn more than £37k doesn't mean that's all I have to earn or rely on.

That is a given, and that was not what she meant.
Even back in Naija, people are looking for other ways to make money outside their salaries and have been doing so for ages, let alone in the UK. We all remember during Abacha's time when salaries were unpaid or delayed or inflation-hit and economic wahala first begin affect civil servants and many of them begin enter market for the first time or started doing other things like teachers offering lessons (or lecturers selling handouts, lol). Expanding/diversifying one's sources of income is not a new thing.

Some people in the abroad may be working lower paid jobs and running side hustles too while looking to move on up. My former boss in the bank for instance, dey Canada. He got a finserv job in a bank at a lower level than where him dey in Naija when he first got there, got himself a US visa and started the whole business of buying stuff to ship back to Naija, and all that. He has now moved up in the finserv industry, has a better paying job with a credit bureau, and in our WhatsApp group last week he was discussing the certifications he's taking, we just dey exchange opinions about which ones are best for each industry, etc. And he's still going to the US to buy ship home all manner of stuff for sale, he and I put money together for one "container" (we be Igbo men na).

Money can also be made outside employment as well. Some people hustle pass their salary by miles. A perceived lack of movement on the career level might be made up for by movement elsewhere. Some people no dey even work full-time and prefer to use their time for other things, for example. I sabi person wey dey highly invested in the property business in Enugu for example, he goes to Naija frequently (or used to), buying up land here and there and building property. And he still works in an agency here. If I remember well, he came out here in 2010 or so. Naija people go think say "this one don settle for shyte salary/job for UK", while the chap dey build himself a mini property empire back home.

Everyone is different.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 7:10am On Aug 21, 2022
icon8:
Someone should please drop another controversial topic. This one don stale abeg cheesy

Our brother took too many hard punches to the head last night, so tey he become motivational speaker lmao grin

Abi o.
Abeg, is there nobody wey dey quarrel with their wife/husband/partner/live-in lover wey fit bring their matter come? The quarrel fit be past or present one, just table am, biko. My energy supplier don send me one interesting letter about October and how matters fit change, and I need to step down this early morning.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:21am On Aug 21, 2022
MichaelUde:

Abi o.
Abeg, is there nobody wey dey quarrel with their wife/husband/partner/live-in lover wey fit bring their matter come? The quarrel fit be past or present one, just table am, biko. My energy supplier don send me one interesting letter about October and how matters fit change, and I need to step down this early morning.

You no get pésin wey you fit fight ......... Una too like vawulence....... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 7:31am On Aug 21, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You no get pésin wey you fit fight ......... Una too like vawulence....... grin

I no get o...
Ngwanu, as una no wan supply current this morning, make I go dey study for my tech certification while I dey wait for my wife to wake up. Na she dey involve herself for Naija community matter, and the good thing about that is that there is usually always one drama or another going on there for entertainment value.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:53am On Aug 21, 2022
MichaelUde:

I no get o...
Ngwanu, as una no wan supply current this morning, make I go dey study for my tech certification while I dey wait for my wife to wake up. Na she dey involve herself for Naija community matter, and the good thing about that is that there is usually always one drama or another going on there for entertainment value.

Don't be a bushman, take breakfast wake your madam from bed ........... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 8:08am On Aug 21, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Don't be a bushman, take breakfast wake your madam from bed ........... cheesy

smiley
I dey see as oyibo dey do that thing for film, but na like 1 slice of lightly browned white toast and butter them dey give themselves in the process, with a tiny cup of OJ, not better Manchester Agege buredi wey I use come back from travel with hot properly palm-oiled ewa, which is what I am planning to eat now.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 8:25am On Aug 21, 2022
Goke7:

@the bolded, this is what I was saying earlier, that you're a student means you can't even pass any security clearance for such roles now. Have you been given the job? No of course. The recruiters sending you messages does not mean you have successfully scaled the process. I have been there. We all have to work ourselves up there.

Bro, you were wrong about the clearance stuff sha. You can get a high-paying job soon after landing here and pass clearance. I did. So that was quite misleading. And students can pass the security clearance, I have a friend who did.

I think the topic can be closed now. The points are clear: be content, but always strive for more cos the job market is in a great shape now, it has never been this good for immigrants. So, don't short-change yourself especially with the rising cost of living. Citizens can comfortably take low-paying jons and be okay with it but we have a different situation and many of us aren't even entitled to State Pension, etc so we gotta be really smart! Develop yourself, get certifications, negotiate better, get side hustle, whatever it legally takes, keeping increase your finance. The old gees may not understand, na we wey just enter go hear am. But if you're on a low pay for ILR, not bad still, you have a good long-term goal, if you have a spouse, encourage them to push for better-paying jobs.

If this whole post is putting you under pressure or making you sad, check yourself, we are only sharing personal experience and encouraging our Nigerian Community.

P.S: this argument was just that £22k is peanuts COMPARED to Care not that £22k is bad in itself. I no know how we drag am reach here grin but e don tey we drag matter like this.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.