Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,211 members, 7,815,230 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (606) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176666 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (603) (604) (605) (606) (607) (608) (609) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:16pm On Sep 13, 2022
Viruses:

When I checked the price of houses in Leicester, I gave up. Then used mortgage calculator to check and saw that I may be paying about £1500 monthly as mortgage.

Meanwhile I dey use ear hear say people dey pay £400, £500 as mortgage.

Only if you fell into the category of Japacrew set 90's - 2000's and bought your property then .........

Don't worry, come 2030....... This your £1500, would become £2500 .......... grin

Turn by Turn ........ grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 5:19pm On Sep 13, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Only if you fell into the category of Japacrew set 90's - 2000's and bought your property then .........

Don't worry, come 2030....... This your £1500, would become £2500 .......... grin

Turn by Turn ........ grin
True.
My colleague bought his 2006 and I believe £300 na money then.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:23pm On Sep 13, 2022
Viruses:

True.
My colleague bought his 2006 and I believe £300 na money then.

And I bet you, people would have been telling your colleague, not to buy the property then....... Because they felt the property was too expensive.......... grin

The best time to buy a property is now, this is your NOW ............ grin

Remember, people predicted property prices would crash, due to Brexit........ We all know what happened...... cheesy

That rent been paid, is paying another's mortgage...... cool

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mystikal(m): 5:25pm On Sep 13, 2022
Viruses:

Open account with Lemonade, transfer the naira to yours Lemonade naira account then from there to your pounds account.

I use Lemonade Finance to send money to Africa. You get 10.00 GBP when you verify your account and send over 100.00 GBP with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/X6dT

Use UREFRABA as referral code.

I have a lemonade account I use to send pounds to Nigeria already. Can I use same?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by olafim309(f): 6:18pm On Sep 13, 2022
Good evening, I brought ticket for Manchester to York with a railcard. Unfortunately the train conductor said there no railcard for Northern part of England. I was charged £55 for single journey. The guy asked me to contract Trainline for refund for railcard cuz it won’t in the north and the card was for senior member which I wasn’t even aware of. Please anyone who has encountered same situation, I will appreciate if you can enlighten on what do how.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mystikal(m): 7:15pm On Sep 13, 2022
Viruses:

Open account with Lemonade, transfer the naira to yours Lemonade naira account then from there to your pounds account.

I use Lemonade Finance to send money to Africa. You get 10.00 GBP when you verify your account and send over 100.00 GBP with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/X6dT

Use UREFRABA as referral code.

Thanks. Sorted. Appreciated
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mystikal(m): 7:15pm On Sep 13, 2022
XX ADVICE PLEASE XX

my Nigerian passport expires in two days time. I had applied for renewal at the London office and got a december 9th appointment for Biometric.

The problem is an important family emergency has required me to travel to Nigeria on the 17th of October.

Will I be travel to fly and return with an expired passport? What is my fate? Any options?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 7:20pm On Sep 13, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by opeyy(f): 9:18pm On Sep 13, 2022
mystikal:
XX ADVICE PLEASE XX

my Nigerian passport expires in two days time. I had applied for renewal at the London office and got a december 9th appointment for Biometric.

The problem is an important family emergency has required me to travel to Nigeria on the 17th of October.

Will I be travel to fly and return with an expired passport? What is my fate? Any options?

I know of someone who traveled to 9ja with an expired pp and also took copies of the renewal receipt and acknowledgement, booking confirmation etc and this was fine, they entered and came back ok, they did not even need to 'settle' on entry to 9ja. Although they only needed their British pp to re-enter the UK so I don't know if the case will be different for visa holders etc.

I hope this helps.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mystikal(m): 10:06pm On Sep 13, 2022
opeyy:

I know of someone who traveled to 9ja with an expired pp and also took copies of the renewal receipt and acknowledgement, booking confirmation etc and this was fine, they entered and came back ok, they did not even need to 'settle' on entry to 9ja. Although they only needed their British pp to re-enter the UK so I don't know if the case will be different for visa holders etc.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Did you mean an expired Nigerian passport?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by WhiteWolfe: 10:15pm On Sep 13, 2022
tshoboy:

Difficult. Are you on a work or student visa? What can you afford and are you willing to pay 3-6 months rent in advance?
Do you have anyone in Manchester that can start viewing houses for you before you arrive?
All those will determine how soon you can get a place.

Hmmn... thanks for your response bro. I'm going with a Skilled Worker Visa. The only person that can view houses for me in Manchester will be travelling 5 days before I travel, so there may not be much advantage there.

I want to do Airbnb for 10 days while searching for houses, that's why I'm asking how realistic it is to get a house in a week.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DrObum(m): 10:16pm On Sep 13, 2022
babajeje123:
Please help me, how can I get earlier dates for my driving pratical test? The dates available are in February 2023.
I downloaded and paid for testi app but I manually got a nearer date for myself before that app.

I'll say just keep checking their site for cancellations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phenmeson(m): 10:32pm On Sep 13, 2022
rinzylee:

Laughing hard here.... abeg leave Mama Charlie and sons limited alone o.

Why on earth is Norwich stupidly expensive. Nothing dey here, yet house cost like kidney. I just dey vex. To buy house, 3 bedroom na from £300k.

Who else lives in Norwich here abeg?

Omo we plenty ooo. Properties for Sussex cari muscles. I even won japa go Doncaster or Bradford sef. But their adverse rating make me think jare.
If you no mind going with Peterborough. Na just 90mins to Norwich. Peterborough even connect with so many cities sef.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phenmeson(m): 10:37pm On Sep 13, 2022
olafim309:
Good evening, I brought ticket for Manchester to York with a railcard. Unfortunately the train conductor said there no railcard for Northern part of England. I was charged £55 for single journey. The guy asked me to contract Trainline for refund for railcard cuz it won’t in the north and the card was for senior member which I wasn’t even aware of. Please anyone who has encountered same situation, I will appreciate if you can enlighten on what do how.

Firstly wot type of Railcard did you get with the ticket when you bought it.
Secondly Trainline hardly refund you the exact amount you paid.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 10:51pm On Sep 13, 2022
DrObum:

I downloaded and paid for testi app but I manually got a nearer date for myself before that app.

I'll say just keep checking their site for cancellations.
Okay, thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 11:08pm On Sep 13, 2022
rinzylee:

Laughing hard here.... abeg leave Mama Charlie and sons limited alone o.

Why on earth is Norwich stupidly expensive. Nothing dey here, yet house cost like kidney. I just dey vex. To buy house, 3 bedroom na from £300k.

Who else lives in Norwich here abeg?

Blame the Londoners. It was cheap till they decided Essex was too expensive and 90 minutes was not too far to commute! East Anglia in general has become very very pricey.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 12:12am On Sep 14, 2022
Good evening Everyone.

Has anyone flew Qatar Airline enroute Glasgow and had a stop over in Dublin?

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who have had the experience.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:47am On Sep 14, 2022
ybahrbz91:
Good evening Everyone.

Has anyone flew Qatar Airline enroute Glasgow and had a stop over in Dublin?

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who have had the experience.

Thank you

Dublin you probably need transit visa
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 4:03am On Sep 14, 2022
WhiteWolfe:

Hmmn... thanks for your response bro. I'm going with a Skilled Worker Visa. The only person that can view houses for me in Manchester will be travelling 5 days before I travel, so there may not be much advantage there.

I want to do Airbnb for 10 days while searching for houses, that's why I'm asking how realistic it is to get a house in a week.

Extremely unrealistic on current trends, unfortunately.
Housing in Manchester is generally difficult to get now.
I would advise you made alternative housing plans for at least a month (and possibly more), and considered looking in locations in Greater Manchester outside the city such as Bolton, Bury, Oldham, etc. People are even coming in from places outside GM, such as Preston, for instance.

Offering some months rent upfront is now the standard, and not the exception, so bear in mind that it may not necessarily expedite your search.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 5:16am On Sep 14, 2022
WhiteWolfe:

Not possible as I have been on this same house hunting in Manchester for more than 2 months .
Unless you are ready to pay for 6 months then plan for 2 weeks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 8:02am On Sep 14, 2022
mystikal:
XX ADVICE PLEASE XX

You can travel to naija with expired passport but u can’t return without a passport. Better to go to London to find boys that will help you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:19am On Sep 14, 2022
Hi Elders,

I have a friend (na friend o. grin ) who has been maxing out his credit limit (I think its £500 / £600) and has been paying it back

Warned him about the impact on his score but he claims it wont affect anything as long as he pays back in full every month

I am curious as to how this actually impacts his score as general guidance I see online it to keep it under 30%. (I keep mine under 15% to avoid stories that touch the heart and soul)

Some input will be appreciated as I plan to show this to him. smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by opeyy(f): 9:37am On Sep 14, 2022
mystikal:

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Did you mean an expired Nigerian passport?

Yes, expired Nigerian e-passport.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by opeyy(f): 10:24am On Sep 14, 2022
hustla:
Hi Elders,

I have a friend (na friend o. grin ) who has been maxing out his credit limit (I think its £500 / £600) and has been paying it back

Warned him about the impact on his score but he claims it wont affect anything as long as he pays back in full every month

I am curious as to how this actually impacts his score as general guidance I see online it to keep it under 30%. (I keep mine under 15% to avoid stories that touch the heart and soul)

Credit scoring is relative and this has absolutely nothing to do with how lenders determine credit worthiness. It only helps to show us, credit consumers, our overall credit health. All lenders have various internal criteria that they use to determine affordability so generally speaking, having a 25% credit utilisation is good for scoring but this matters where, I for example have a very large line of credit so my 25% is A LOT. Therefore lenders will see that I am able to cope with the credit I am utilising and will be happy to lend me up to that amount. As your friend only has a very small amount, using it all and paying it back will show lenders that he can be trusted with that 500 however he MUST never go over by 1 penny or miss a payment because that will totally ruin his credit, it is safe to always repay using direct debit and also stay a little bit below his max too.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 11:12am On Sep 14, 2022
hustla:
Hi Elders,

It does affect, 2 month ago I made a repayment that was meant to keep my account under 25%, but the repayment didnt hit my card within the given SLA.

It dropped my score by 17 points
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:16am On Sep 14, 2022
Santa2:

It does affect, 2 month ago I made a repayment that was meant to keep my account under 25%, but the repayment didnt hit my card within the given SLA.

It dropped my score by 17 points

Why not pay yourself by card?
Or I did not understand you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:17am On Sep 14, 2022
opeyy:

Credit scoring is relative and this has absolutely nothing to do with how lenders determine credit worthiness. It only helps to show us, credit consumers, our overall credit health. All lenders have various internal criteria that they use to determine affordability so generally speaking, having a 25% credit utilisation is good for scoring but this matters where, I for example have a very large line of credit so my 25% is A LOT. Therefore lenders will see that I am able to cope with the credit I am utilising and will be happy to lend me up to that amount. As your friend only has a very small amount, using it all and paying it back will show lenders that he can be trusted with that 500 however he MUST never go over by 1 penny or miss a payment because that will totally ruin his credit, it is safe to always repay using direct debit and also stay a little bit below his max too.

Alright
Thanks! smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by June232022: 11:21am On Sep 14, 2022
hello guys , please i need your advices
i and my wife have been finding it hard to get a 2 bedroom apartment to rent at newcastle, someone encourage we get a 3 bedroom apartment . the present place we stay is a studio apartment and we want to move out but getting new ones has not been easy.

weve checked houses and they always say the landlord has to pick who he wants in his house, the money to rent and everything is complete and ready.

who can show us what to do abeg

i don tire

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 11:53am On Sep 14, 2022
Chreze:

Thanks wallg123 for this. I will try this. Thanks @TheGuyFromHR.

A little twist, so they have been delivering mails to the apartment for the previous occupant. We try to return the mails and it comes back to our house. On Thursday they delivered Hermes clothes and I knew they were gonna come pick it up. Today they came for it and I asked them question about the house and they said no damp or mold issue, but that they installed the heater by the staircase recently because it gets cold when you just walk inside the house.

I will try this options and hope it is solved. I have done some crazy vacuum today. On Wednesday when oga goes to nursery we will vacuum again and wash the carpet. And hopefully it gets cleared. Also sent a message the LL to come around during lunch break tomorrow so I can show him. He said 3pm. Will also show him and see how it goes.

Thanks for the inputs. I really do appreciate.

Please, how do you wash carpets (I assume you are still referring to rug)?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 12:05pm On Sep 14, 2022
Samopex05:
My tenancy agreement has only my name on it, it doesn’t have my wife’s name. Can I use it to supporting my mother-in-law’s visa application from Nigeria in terms of accommodation.

As long as you can show relationship. However, I will advice you get your spouse on the tenancy agreement as well. We had to pay some money to get ours done but the letting agent says would have been free if we had asked before the end of the first year of occupancy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 12:38pm On Sep 14, 2022
WhiteWolfe:

I will advise you to plan for three weeks. You can start checking houses and booking viewings closer to when you will be around. That could also help in speeding up the process. It’s better to be prudent in this case.

(1) (2) (3) ... (603) (604) (605) (606) (607) (608) (609) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.