Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (701) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176589 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (698) (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mosme: 9:08pm On Oct 31, 2022
@mamatukwas please I want to buy pounds.

Please anyone that can sell I’m interested
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:18pm On Oct 31, 2022
Mosme:
@mamatukwas please I want to buy pounds.

Please anyone that can sell I’m interested

Madam no dey sell £ ........ Hope you are aware you are looking at ₦920+ - £1 ......... grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IamE: 10:33pm On Oct 31, 2022
Hello all.
I NEED CLARIFICATION
It's been[b]6 months[/b] plus in the UK with my family.

At the second month of arrival we rented a 3bedroom flat from a Nigerian who is standing in the capacity of an agent.
Real Landlord is an Asian.
We recently discovered that he collected the house from the Asian man on 5years rent term and subletted to us. (Adding his own fee).
Recently the Agent called me to mention that he wants the rent /direct debit to start going out on the 1st of each month whereas we moved in on the 4th.
. We've been here for 5months and have always been paying on the 2nd (initial payment was for 4th but the agent pleaded with us to take it to 2nd).

To avoid getting into argument with the man who is in his late 60's I adjusted the rent to 1st of every month then pointed his attention to the fact that the agreement he brought to me for proof reading have not been brought back for signing..
Then he then reminded me that I should know that the 3rd room I gave out to a student will be a breech if we stand by the agreement. (Before we gave out the room to the student. I personally went to his house to Inform his of my intention 1 month before we found someone to share) .

He stylishly said I was going to give him incentives when the person sharing comes but I took it as a joke.
I was surprised to hear his response.
The Landlord lives few flat away from mine and have visited me severally, seen the student and know I gave the room out for a fee. (Landlord's concern is more of keeping his house clean and not defacing his property). Which he give us accolades for whenever he comes around to say Hi.

Question
1. Should I be worried about not signing the agreement ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:32pm On Oct 31, 2022
IamE:
Hello all.
I NEED CLARIFICATION
It's been[b]6 months[/b] plus in the UK with my family.

At the second month of arrival we rented a 3bedroom flat from a Nigerian who is standing in the capacity of an agent.
Real Landlord is an Asian.
We recently discovered that he collected the house from the Asian man on 5years rent term and subletted to us. (Adding his own fee).
Recently the Agent called me to mention that he wants the rent /direct debit to start going out on the 1st of each month whereas we moved in on the 4th.
. We've been here for 5months and have always been paying on the 2nd (initial payment was for 4th but the agent pleaded with us to take it to 2nd).

To avoid getting into argument with the man who is in his late 60's I adjusted the rent to 1st of every month then pointed his attention to the fact that the agreement he brought to me for proof reading have not been brought back for signing..
Then he then reminded me that I should know that the 3rd room I gave out to a student will be a breech if we stand by the agreement. (Before we gave out the room to the student. I personally went to his house to Inform his of my intention 1 month before we found someone to share) .

He stylishly said I was going to give him incentives when the person sharing comes but I took it as a joke.
I was surprised to hear his response.
The Landlord lives few flat away from mine and have visited me severally, seen the student and know I gave the room out for a fee. (Landlord's concern is more of keeping his house clean and not defacing his property). Which he give us accolades for whenever he comes around to say Hi.

Question
1. Should I be worried about not signing the agreement ?

Are you saying, you took up tenancy, without signing a tenancy agreement + having a copy of agreement...........

Nothing much to worry about, really....... S21 cannot be issued, in terms of eviction...... Only S8 can be issued + court order..........

They have scratched your back....... So scratch their back too .......... cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by divinegrace4me: 12:03am On Nov 01, 2022
Hi everyone, good evening to you. Do we have anyone living or working around Newbury in Berkshire, England?

I would like to know more about the town/city, its transportation system, and how to commute through the nearby town/city easily.

The cost of getting a two-bedroom and the general standard of living.

If you have to live in the city, I need your help.

Cheers

@justwise
@Lexusgs430
@Yolkman20
@AirBay
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:15am On Nov 01, 2022
divinegrace4me:
Hi everyone, good evening to you. Do we have anyone living or working around Newbury in Berkshire, England?

I would like to know more about the town/city, its transportation system, and how to commute through the nearby town/city easily.

The cost of getting a two-bedroom and the general standard of living.

If you have to live in the city, I need your help.

Cheers

@justwise
@Lexusgs430
@Yolkman20
@AirBay

Transportation should not be a worry, neither should commuting........ We have buses, trains and taxi services........

https://www.nestoria.co.uk/west-berkshire/property/rent?gclid=CjwKCAjw5P2aBhAlEiwAAdY7dLmnYIVsWgcHEoj_ESVBtUleDtKgz-LN0VTbT0zX0X9zaG8bRVjF1xoCvAsQAvD_BwE&tracking=1&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google&v={"acc":5786,"c":13650967426,"a":140528289044,"d":"m","gclid":"CjwKCAjw5P2aBhAlEiwAAdY7dLmnYIVsWgcHEoj_ESVBtUleDtKgz-LN0VTbT0zX0X9zaG8bRVjF1xoCvAsQAvD_BwE"}

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 12:21am On Nov 01, 2022
How true is this that RS is considering increment of tax?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aragbaboy: 2:00am On Nov 01, 2022
Please, my tier 2 application is still stuck at the home office. It is about 10 weeks now. Do any have an email or number to call to find out what is the going? I did the application here in the UK.
All the numbers and email, have not been able to connect me with the right department.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 3:23am On Nov 01, 2022
aragbaboy:
Please, my tier 2 application is still stuck at the home office. It is about 10 weeks now. Do any have an email or number to call to find out what is the going? I did the application here in the UK.
All the numbers and email, have not been able to connect me with the right department.

Wait patiently, my bro got after 14weeks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:26am On Nov 01, 2022
We've been down this route before. There were some hiccups then but it all went well; generally speaking. Even the UK does similar on smaller scale; and many other countries.
The #policy in itself is not overly bad. Nonetheless, it has its pros and cons. In the circumstances, other pros might be worth it after all. The downsides might be
- spike in currency (especially black market)
- fake news
- politicking
What would and should matter most is implementation.
What would sustain is less dependency on foreign consumption.
(*** I'll stay away from the part/impact of round tripping. Suffice to say that when there's sufficient (note not enough) forex inflow alongside local production - tangible & intangible, even round tripping will 'become' expensive? ***)
We thrive and pride in anything and everything 'foreign' in 9ja!
Just to brighten up, yet drive home a point. I was in 9ja a few years back. I can but observed that in a 'supermarket' I used to frequent before, the imported Milo was visibly prominently on display. Not that it's wrong. However, what I was looking forward the 9ja made Milo (for its crunchy crunchiness!). Alas. I had to ask before they now pointed me to a small obscure down corner. Well, I left happily after with me 9ja Milo.
Iree o. Lovely day ahead to everyone.
hustla:
... This new policy they introduced with the returning of naira to banks will eventually kill off the naira as it stands
Hopefully things getter better cos i Know aboki rate will be more than 892
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 9:54am On Nov 01, 2022
Lexusgs430 and others pls advise. As seen on twitter. I am a domiciliary carer and my class of insurance is SDP + C. I don’t use my car to carry clients, I only drive from point A to point B whenever I’m working.

Do I need to upgrade to business insurance?

The way I dey protect my drivers license ehn! I no just want police wahala abeg.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sucre2003: 10:17am On Nov 01, 2022
Hi guys please if anyone living in Liverpool with information of care jobs or housing jobs that sponsors tier 2 visa please help.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 10:40am On Nov 01, 2022
giselle237:
so the whole event finished and no pictures on the EVENT day in this day and age wey techno, infinix, xiomi, huawei full.. everyone has a mobile phone with camera so which one is the whole event nobody snapped… then u ppl rushed to studio afterwards to snap.
The old me would say turn this stew well.. but I have repented.

Anyway even unmarried partners can apply for dependent visa. The pass mark is only given when you provide proof of genuine relationship… calls, chats, pictures, joint bank statements, joint bills, joint tenancy agreements, joint purchases, wedding certificates, if you have children together, dentist letters, bank letters, doctors letters if you were living together etc.
then the question about age difference doesn’t matter.. you are free to be with who you want irrespective of age difference

Well, different strokes for different people, just a mosque marriage Certificate was enough for my partner and I, no change of name, no pictures nothing more.....

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 01, 2022
aragbaboy:

Switching from tier 4/student? I had heard there was a way to do a fast-track via the ID app or so.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 01, 2022
AirBay:

Was this from student visa?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 11:13am On Nov 01, 2022
aragbaboy:

The timelines right now are something else.. I would advise anyone that need quick turn around to use priority. Its £500 but usually decision is given around 24 - 72 hours.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 12:59pm On Nov 01, 2022
koonbey:

Was this from student visa?

Yes
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:09pm On Nov 01, 2022
Lemonade

wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:10pm On Nov 01, 2022
semmyk:
We've been down this route before. There were some hiccups then but it all went well; generally speaking. Even the UK does similar on smaller scale; and many other countries.
The #policy in itself is not overly bad. Nonetheless, it has its pros and cons. In the circumstances, other pros might be worth it after all. The downsides might be
- spike

We all know how Nigeria works

Its now 928
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoubleN(m): 2:16pm On Nov 01, 2022
Morning Guys, I am here again.

Can anyone advise on how to go about getting a dentist. It seems majority are not accepting new registrations for NHS patients.

Question: What is the best approach to getting a Private arrangement, Is it using Insurance or pay as you go? One of the major Insurance providers is quoting me £65 a month for me and my spouse. Helpful suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Haykhay: 2:42pm On Nov 01, 2022
Pearlyfaze:

Send a PM.

Done that already. Please check your mail
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 01, 2022
DoubleN:

Can anyone advise on how to go about getting a dentist. It seems majority are not accepting new registrations for NHS patients.

Question: What is the best approach to getting a Private arrangement, Is it using Insurance or pay as you go? One of the major Insurance providers is quoting me £65 a month for me and my spouse. Helpful suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

For dental, private PAYG is good enough, IMO. Alternatively, if you have a dentist that has a subscription service nearby, that could work too - like 15 per month for one dentist visit and one or two hygienist visits. 65 per month is for health insurance generally not just dental work, right? I'm not familiar with the costs as I get mine through work so I can't advice if it's a reasonable price, but it's important that you check the fine print to be sure what kinds of dental work is covered. For instance, some cover routine exams but others will say only emergency dental treatment. There's also often a time lag before you can claim.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoubleN(m): 3:17pm On Nov 01, 2022
koonbey:

For dental, private PAYG is good enough, IMO. Alternatively, if you have a dentist that has a subscription service nearby, that could work too - like 15 per month for one dentist visit and one or two hygienist visits. 65 per month is for health insurance generally not just dental work, right? I'm not familiar with the costs as I get mine through work so I can't advice if it's a reasonable price, but it's important that you check the fine print to be sure what kinds of dental work is covered. For instance, some cover routine exams but others will say only emergency dental treatment. There's also often a time lag before you can claim.

The 65 per month is actually just only for dental. I have health insurance at work though but it doesn't cover dental. I have gotten the details on the routine jobs, restorative work and emergency treatment. There is also a 4 month waiting period before restorative can be activated. The cost of PAYG I am seeing is on the high side for consultation and treatments and paying 780 annually for dental insurance looks pretty steep. I'll look into the subscription services. Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sylve11: 6:15pm On Nov 01, 2022
omopapa:
Reply to your email or send me a DM pls if u can

Good evening.

You have a mail. cool

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 6:29pm On Nov 01, 2022
£1=N928

Phayie:
You might be right because
£1=N901

I use Lemonade Finance to send money to Africa. You get 10.00 GBP when you verify your account and send over 100.00 GBP with my referral link - https://referral.lemonade.finance/invite/cZuH

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aragbaboy: 7:23pm On Nov 01, 2022
Santa2:

The timelines right now are something else.. I would advise anyone that need quick turn around to use priority. Its £500 but usually decision is given around 24 - 72 hours.

I regret not doing priority. The waiting is something else as you said.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aragbaboy: 7:27pm On Nov 01, 2022
AirBay:

Wow! Patient already running out �‍♂️
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Olinga(f): 8:44pm On Nov 01, 2022
Hello all

Please if I have a layover in the US from the UK do I need a transit visa?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 10:08pm On Nov 01, 2022
DoubleN:

I use dental insurance through my job and I pay £8 a month. Whenever I go to the dentist I send the receipt to the insurance and they refund me whatever I spent at the dentist. Try taking up dental insurance that way u can go see any private dentist and get your money back.

4 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (698) (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.