Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,127 members, 7,835,795 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (727) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1199067 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (724) (725) (726) (727) (728) (729) (730) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 11:24am On Nov 21, 2022
Focus99:

If a dependent visa comes with a NO WORK error on the vignette instead of RESTRICTED WORK, what it means is you won’t be able to work as a dependent with such vignette as no recruiter will recruit you with such but the good news is that it can be rectified.
What to do!!!
Immediately you land UK, pick up your BRP and send complaints to
http://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/report-problem
It will take like 3 to 4 weeks for home office to issue a new vignette

Thanks boss I have done that and it’s over a month now.I am getting more worried

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 11:25am On Nov 21, 2022
adegbitetunji:
Send a mail to

SheffieldStudentTeamAmendments@homeoffice.gov.uk,
Sheffieldstudentteam.docrequests@homeoffice.gov.uk

Full name: Bleep
Date of birth: Bleep
Nationality: Bleep
BRP number: Bleep
Current Address: Bleep

Attached the brp, visa pages, ... they responded faster ... cheers

Thanks boss I have done that
Cheers. Hope they come through
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by zxxtx: 4:04pm On Nov 21, 2022
Guys, be careful, I emailed one of the companies hosting the Bootcamp and this is what I get.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 4:47pm On Nov 21, 2022
zxxtx:
Guys, be careful, I emailed one of the companies hosting the Bootcamp and this is what I get.

Wasn't someone saying this wasn't PF the other day? People need to investigate some of these things for themselves and not rely solely on second hand, third hand information, thanks for sharing OP.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 4:49pm On Nov 21, 2022
zxxtx:

chai and someone on her youtube channel encouraging people to do BootCamp. hmmm
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 6:39pm On Nov 21, 2022
Toshtos:

Ethiopian Airlines allow back pack ??

Yeah I carried one along.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 6:57pm On Nov 21, 2022
Goke7:

chai and someone on her youtube channel encouraging people to do BootCamp. hmmm
That’s horrible, I hope people conduct their own research before she leads people astray.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 7:33pm On Nov 21, 2022
AKALAMAGBO:
Hustla Abeg na how much dem dey refund for IHS…. E dey reach £500?

I dey reason apply for refund too. My wife works on. 20hrs per week with NHS, can we get a refund of our IHS too ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:34pm On Nov 21, 2022
Way to go. #DueDiligence.
Mind sharing which of the bootcamp this is. Will be deeply appreciated.
Would assist us all in knowing which category it belongs to. Thanks. Standing by.
zxxtx:
[Extract]
Thank you for your email.
So unfortunately you wouldn't be eligible due to your visa.
This is due to the work restrictions and having no access to public funds, as the bootcamps are designed to get you into employment and it is government funded.
[/Extract]

Just to quickly add while awaiting zxxtx, there was a collation last Fri 18 Nov
semmyk:
This is a collation on NRPF: focussed on IT bootcamps.
Long and short, if it's EFSA based/sponsored, it's (most likely) not public fund. For others, whether DfE, DPW, check (as in shine ur eyes well well) and thread carefully.
Wolverhampton Council site has a great collation for NRPF
[url]win.wolverhampton.gov.uk/kb5/wolverhampton/directory/adult.page?adultchannel=1_7_3[/url]

[Addition] https://www.gov.uk/guidance/find-a-skills-bootcamp/eligibility
PS: kindly follow the quote link to read the collation.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 7:43pm On Nov 21, 2022
Preshyi:
Please how can someone on Visitor Visa access NHS services. Whats the payment like? Would love for my visiting family member to do some medical check up here.

I also need these information. Pls anybody help and can someone pls help me with the process of inviting a family member. My mom! Edakun. What do i need and what documents do we need. I'm a student dependant
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ugoonuoha: 8:03pm On Nov 21, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Chei... this is over £100. ... any recommendations for like £30.lol

B&M sells cord for £15. Great value for money!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:09pm On Nov 21, 2022
igbsam:
I also need these information. Pls anybody help and can someone pls help me with the process of inviting a family member. My mom! Edakun. What do i need and what documents do we need. I'm a student dependant
Preshyi:
Please how can someone on Visitor Visa access NHS services. Whats the payment like? Would love for my visiting family member to do some medical check up here.

As at 20 Nov, options are
MichaelUde:
On a visitor's visa you go private all the way, except when person get an emergency and goes to A&E.
You can't rock up to a public hospital and ask to see a doctor and say you wan make them bill you later.
dustydee:
Go private. There are several private hospitals around and appointments are more readily available.
Gemma11:
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visiting-or-moving-to-england/how-to-access-nhs-services-in-england-if-you-are-visiting-from-abroad/
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by panners007: 8:33pm On Nov 21, 2022
Hi family ,please I need urgent advice ,came into the this country not too long on tier 2 Visa ,after my training it seems my employer doesn’t have enough working hours for me as the company don’t have much shift ,I’ need sincere advise ,can I do more than the 20 hours allotted elsewhere ,this bills is not funny if you’re not working ,my employer hours is way less than 15 which is too low for me ,I’m very agile and willing ,what options do I’ve …Mature advice ONLY
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 11:11pm On Nov 21, 2022
panners007:
Hi family ,please I need urgent advice ,came into the this country not too long on tier 2 Visa ,after my training it seems my employer doesn’t have enough working hours for me as the company don’t have much shift ,I’ need sincere advise ,can I do more than the 20 hours allotted elsewhere ,this bills is not funny if you’re not working ,my employer hours is way less than 15 which is too low for me ,I’m very agile and willing ,what options do I’ve …Mature advice ONLY
Option 1.Look for another sponsor and switch. U can then give ur current employer the 20hrs they need.
Option 2. Get a second sponsor and apply to update ur visa. https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/second-job

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 11:58pm On Nov 21, 2022
semmyk:

As at 20 Nov, options are

Thanks semmyk. Saw the response to that post
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phenmeson(m): 12:22am On Nov 22, 2022
Morning Gurus and hope you all are enjoying Qatar 2022 World Cup?

I have a friend on tier4,completing his study by December. She has been working with an agency over a year in various care home.
One of the care home she's working with for over 6months wish to offer her COS depending on if her agency will accept and without charging Transfer fee.
I know agency/temporary worker can transfer after working over 4months.
Any idea on how to solve this?

Tnx
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Geebee5: 2:23am On Nov 22, 2022
Phenmeson:
Morning Gurus and hope you all are enjoying Qatar 2022 World Cup?

One of the care home she's working with for over 6months wish to offer her COS depending on if her agency will accept and without charging Transfer fee.
I know agency/temporary worker can transfer after working over 4months.
Any idea on how to solve this?

Tnx

Not sure if this will work for her but some peeps here applied for their P45 which obviously states an end to their employment/contract with the agency then applied/switched to the care home that’s willing to sponsor. They didn’t involve their agency.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uzonma: 3:13am On Nov 22, 2022
Please house how can someone handle this issue of 20hrs on second job? to be honest it's difficult getting shifts that will give you that as mist shifts are 12hourly making it 22hrs weekly after break.
Will the extra 2hrs be a problem or is it negligible?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sammydoe: 5:52am On Nov 22, 2022
Single room to rent available, close to central London in zone 2 SE London smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thegamingorca(m): 8:42am On Nov 22, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Covid has ended... no restriction worldwide

You don't need to do anything

You need your covid green passport showing you have been double vaccinated and expected to have filled the online form for tracking should you develop symptoms. You won't even fly without the code from the online website to Nigeria.

grin if You dare attempt to come back without them the airline won't allow you board at Heathrow
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:14am On Nov 22, 2022
Thegamingorca:

You need your covid green passport showing you have been double vaccinated and expected to have filled the online form for tracking should you develop symptoms. You won't even fly without the code from the online website to Nigeria.

grin if You dare attempt to come back without them the airline won't allow you board at Heathrow

Why are you joking na.... someone will see this and think you are serious

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 10:23am On Nov 22, 2022
Uzonma:
Please house how can someone handle this issue of 20hrs on second job? to be honest it's difficult getting shifts that will give you that as mist shifts are 12hourly making it 22hrs weekly after break.

The below is an excerpt from an immigration law website. Many others say the same thing, including the government website. Anything over 20 hours sounds like a breach of visa conditions which could make visa renewal more complicated and subject to the discretion of the home office.

Can A Tier 2 General Visa Holder Do Additional Paid Work?

Yes, a Tier 2 General visa holder can take on additional employment of up to 20 hours per week. It is important to note that this additional work must be either on the Shortage Occupation List or be in the same field and level as the job that you are sponsored to do. You must also ensure that it does not interfere with the hours that you would generally spend on your sponsored work. This is important, as any additional work is likely to be scrutinised intensely when it comes to any review of your visa.

One of the most common questions for Tier 2 General Visa holders is whether they can be self-employed. This type of work, unfortunately, is prohibited. We have seen many examples of people taking on self-employment while in the UK on a Tier 2 General Visa and having significant problems after registering for self-assessment. While taking on a self-employed role is relatively easy these days, we urge you to not potentially affect your visa by taking on such work. The punishment for failure to follow visa conditions can be severe and certainly not worth it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 22, 2022
Uzonma:

If Nairaland people tell you it is, will you follow that despite the clear statement on the Home Office site and the email they sent you?

Anyway, my advice is to not try and find out by yourself - just discuss with the people you work with or find some other arrangement. Your payslips and tax filings will clearly reflect your hours and if you go over consistently, it'll be clear you're wilfully breaking the law, as opposed to occasional timing errors which I know are treated leniently - at Tier 4 level, anyway.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marvelife: 12:16pm On Nov 22, 2022
Hi good morning famz.
I'm very new to this thread

Have got my amex card sometimes ago now and recently spent around £500. Wanna pay back and something came to my mind like instead of paying directly using my Lloyds, can't I use my GTBANK master card. It'd be cheaper.

But I don't know if it makes sense cos I'm still new to the whole stuff.
Anyone with adequate knowledge of this should please educate me. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 12:18pm On Nov 22, 2022
If you are going to the Nigerian High Commision for passport renewal and you booked an appointment, I have one piece of advice for you. Ignore your appointment time and get there as soon as possible. Apparently, your appointment time does not matter (they just need to know you booked), You are given a tally number when you get there, that determines when you are attended to. Hence the earlier you get there, the earlier you leave. Also be prepared to stand for a while. I can't imagine what people with little kids would have gone through if an adult like was that stressed. Also be prepared to spend the whole day. Hopefully you all have better experience that I did last week. Nigeria, we hail thee..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 12:27pm On Nov 22, 2022
igbsam:

I dey reason apply for refund too. My wife works on. 20hrs per week with NHS, can we get a refund of our IHS too ?

You are both qualified as long as one of you been doing a minimum of 16 hrs / week for up to 6 months.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 12:44pm On Nov 22, 2022
Try it and let us know when your GTbank get debited.

marvelife:
Hi good morning famz.

Have got my amex card sometimes ago now and recently spent around £500. Wanna pay back and something came to my mind like instead of paying directly using my Lloyds, can't I use my GTBANK master card. It'd be cheaper.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 1:08pm On Nov 22, 2022
marvelife:
Hi good morning famz.

How is using £ to pay £ more expensive than using Naira to pay £? Is GTB no longer charging at near black market rates?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by blaqqqw: 1:25pm On Nov 22, 2022
Hey guys can a gtbank domicillary card pay into a UK bank account.
I have my maintenance fees in my gtbank account but I can only withdraw or use pos.
How do I move the money so I can fund my uk bank account or pay my landlord for rent?

Help guys!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 1:44pm On Nov 22, 2022
Hello Madam Ticha
cc: Oga @Lexusgs430, Oga @TheGuyFromHr et all.

We vacated our 2 BR flat on Nov 3, 2022 (12 days to the end of our 6 months tenancy - Nov 15th), although we gave more than 1 month notice to our useless landlord.

A bit of background - he didn't talk to us since we paid and moved in. He didn't fix any issues we had in the flat despite several follow-ups. He didn't also register our deposit neither did he sign and give us any contract/agreement.

Now, since we've left, he is yet to refund our deposit. We've called times severally but didn't pick up, he later blocked my line from calling him. His maintenance guy had notified him that the flat was left in good order.

Kindly advise with which organisation/body I can escalate to, to recover our £775 deposit back. And will I pay for this service? We are based in Liverpool.

Many thanks!

Ticha:

You have a tenancy under law so fear not. As long as you're paying rent as agreed, you have an active tenancy. Lexus is right. In this case, you won't even lose your deposit regardless of damage because he has broken the law by not lodging it and therefore can't claim anything off it. Even if he lodges it later, he has still failed to abide by the tenancy act. The good thing about not having a signed agreement is that there are no detrimental clauses he can enforce - at all.

Write him formally - by email and text (preferred for evidence) or by post - registered delivery so you have evidence - detailing what needs to be fixed, ask to have the tenancy agreement signed by both of you and your deposit protection letter for your own records. For example, you will need the tenancy agreement for certain things - prove your address, visa stuff as and when the time comes...

Is the issue to be fixed quite bad? i.e. does it impact on you living there? If it is very bad and he's not responsive, contact environmental health. The council will force him to take action but of course your relationship with him may become fraught.

But if you're leaving after 6 months, just relax and take him to the dispute resolution once the tenancy ends and claim back your deposit plus the extra. And if he has not provided any right to rent documents, claim the whole of your 6 months rent back too. First and foremost - check that he definitely hasn't protected it. You can easily check any of the 3 services - https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection/if-your-landlord-doesnt-protect-your-deposit

Make sure you give the right notice. Which is one month. Read here for more information - https://www.gov.uk/private-renting-tenancy-agreements/your-landlord-wants-to-end-your-tenancy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by winta2007(m): 1:50pm On Nov 22, 2022
Any Idea on how to dispose my physical Naira here?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 2:01pm On Nov 22, 2022
winta2007:
Any Idea on how to dispose my physical Naira here?
Lol I heard some African stores are collecting it, at a fee cheesy

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (724) (725) (726) (727) (728) (729) (730) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.