Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,475 members, 7,823,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (743) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1184512 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (740) (741) (742) (743) (744) (745) (746) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thastie(f): 2:53am On Dec 02, 2022
@kaylov12

I saw your post about teaching jobs.

Please I do have a question. My partner has BSc in Accounting education and TRCN. He has Masters as well in Administration and Planning. I was so hopeful he would get a job cos of his high GP but now going through the thread I am worried.
He will be here late December, I will appreciate whatever information you can help us with.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 3:15am On Dec 02, 2022
justwise:

That is really high, are you living with someone or stay home a lot?

If the previous occupant did not use emergency credit then call your supplier to complain

Please what is emergency credit?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 3:24am On Dec 02, 2022
Solumtoya:

Nah, you don't know much about Electric Heating. If you have a big boiler, one has to carefully regulate the Thermostat. My November bill was £284, with the rebate, I should pay about £218. I have paid about £900 in a month of carelessness before.

This bills are just scary � � �... how can one regulate their thermostat from the get go. If I have to pay this amount to learn a lesson, I'd just sit down and cry for the whole month..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 6:30am On Dec 02, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Exactly! Also, I do not understand why people choose to get offended when you try to encourage them. Moving forward, I think I’d stay away from job related posts as it often comes off to certain people as one being high and mighty. Really strange!

Amarathripple0:

It's as if people are scared to strive for more. Platforms like Indeed, LinkedIn, Total Jobs, Glassdoor etc post great jobs every minute. I pray our people stop settling because being stuck with bad pay all in the name of Tier 2 visa and ILR is worrisome. sad

When God blesses you, do not look at people still awaiting their blessings like they are not hard working.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:51am On Dec 02, 2022
Viruses:

When God blesses you, do not look at people still awaiting their blessings like they are not hard working.

I want to pay to like this post more

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:59am On Dec 02, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I am actually being realistic. The fear of trying is pulling a lot of people back. Yes there are people trying and getting rejected, this happened to me when I first got here for months but I kept pushing even post graduation. We must move away from the mindset that things cannot be done because we’ve "not heard" of these success stories. "High profile job" is also relative, nobody is asking people to apply for Director positions where they only have junior level experience, we are just asking people to aim higher than the need to just go for any job because they want sponsorship. Also, two things can co-exist, taking the lower paid job and still applying for the better paying jobs as opposed to settling and waiting it out for 5 good years and losing out on gaining actual experience because it’s "unrealistic". I truly hope people do not take what you have just said as bible because it would only further demoralise people to even try because they believe it cannot be done. Even Graduate jobs exist for a reason.

This goes against all you have been saying about job and salary level here since i started reading your post on this topic.

If you had said this in the beginning we will not be here arguing this.

There is no where in my post did i suggest that people should settle for low paying job for the rest of their lives..

Again i did not say that people don't get those high paying jobs, very few do after graduation but majority start from low to high salary jobs.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:32am On Dec 02, 2022
jadepinkett:

Please what is emergency credit?

If you are on topup meter and you run out of credit the system allows you to borrow some credit(emergency credit) to use and when you topped up the emergency credit will to removed from your credit.

I think you will be charged for this, i can't remember correctly as i used this years ago.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:46am On Dec 02, 2022
justwise:

This goes against all you have been saying about job and salary level here since i started reading your post on this topic.

If you had said this in the beginning we will not be here arguing this.

There is no where in my post did i suggest that people should settle for low paying job for the rest of their lives..

Again i did not say that people don't get those high paying jobs, very few do after graduation but majority start from low to high salary jobs.

Looks like you chose to pick on an innocent post because of a previous conversation without looking at context. Also, you are encouraging people to settle, that in itself is not exactly okay. Anyway like I said, this is the last I'll speak on any job related post since certain people are choosing to be offended (which is mind-blowing) especially as I did not insult, call anyone lazy, or look down on anyone's hustle. Anyway, I'm certain that the people who need the motivation and encouragement get it.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:50am On Dec 02, 2022
Viruses:

I think it would do both of us a solid if you stayed out of my mentions, Because when I say one thing, you choose to interpret it in your own way and get offended. Because how does "not settling" interpret to me assuming that people are not hard working. Anyway. remain blessed and stay out of my mentions, Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:52am On Dec 02, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Looks like you chose to pick on an innocent post because of a previous conversation without looking at context. Also, you are encouraging people to settle, that in itself is not exactly okay. Anyway like I said, this is the last I'll speak on any job related post since certain people are choosing to be offended (which is mind-blowing) especially as I did not insult, call anyone lazy, or look down on anyone's hustle. Anyway, I'm certain that the people who need the motivation and encouragement get it.

justwise:
[/b]

Get whatever job that offers you sponsorship, work towards getting ILR then....

Yes people do get those big salary jobs after graduation but there are in minority, majority have to work their way from low -high salary

I'm pretty sure that you did not read my post.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 8:07am On Dec 02, 2022
justwise:

I'm pretty sure that you did not read my post.
Maybe I’m missing something but telling people to take whatever job because of sponsorship and ILR is still asking people to settle. Anyway, you are right, and if you think I am not making any sense, you are also right.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 8:17am On Dec 02, 2022
justwise:

I want to pay to like this post more

You can pay.

I will send you my details... ; grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 8:28am On Dec 02, 2022
Viruses:

God's blessings won't come and fall at your feet just like that! Pls quit this line of thinking. Faith without good works...God is happy to bless everyone, We however need to show preparedness.
If you don't actually prepare and apply for a job, it will never come to you. This is not a "favour" market. If you want to work in a certain area, then you must put in effort to learn and skill up in that area and [/b]actually apply[b] for those jobs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 8:34am On Dec 02, 2022
ABIOLAXYZ:
kaylov12 , please how can I adjust to speak more like English

Actually, this will compound the problem. Just pronounce your words clearly and aim to speak slowly. We often times don't know we speak so fast, so being self conscious about it will help and overtime you'll perfectly adjust. Abeg no just try form any accent o. All the best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tblackE61(m): 8:47am On Dec 02, 2022
Good morning to you all, pls my wife and I would be going to Uk this December with our 14mnth old son on student route visa , her sch is in london pls kindly suggest closest place to london to get an apartment as I was made to understand living in london is extremly high, and we wouldn’t mind if any one can help us with a one bedroom apartment ! Budget is 700 pounds max
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phil46: 8:50am On Dec 02, 2022
Please guys, can I open a UK bank account from Nigeria? I have a UK sim given to me at TLS, and should also secure accommodation before my arrival. If yes, which bank would you suggest for someone on Tier 4 visa? I will be coming this month.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ABIOLAXYZ(m): 8:50am On Dec 02, 2022
Estroller:

Actually, this will compound the problem. Just pronounce your words clearly and aim to speak slowly. We often times don't know we speak so fast, so being self conscious about it will help and overtime you'll perfectly adjust. Abeg no just try form any accent o. All the best.
Thanks for your response , I have watching some YouTube videos as well to improve my pronunciations.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 8:59am On Dec 02, 2022
Solumtoya:

Nah, you don't know much about Electric Heating. If you have a big boiler, one has to carefully regulate the Thermostat. My November bill was £284, with the rebate, I should pay about £218. I have paid about £900 in a month of carelessness before.

Which one is now better and cheaper.
Because i see a lot of people saying electric is better but i beg to differ o.

All the gas heater i have seen always heat faster and reaches wider. Most electric i have seen dont heat as fast and the heat doesnt disperse to wider reach like the gas own.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 9:03am On Dec 02, 2022
Phil46:
Please guys, can I open a UK bank account from Nigeria? I have a UK sim given to me at TLS, and should also secure accommodation before my arrival. If yes, which bank would you suggest for someone on Tier 4 visa? I will be coming this month.

Not sure that sim is active as you would have to topup to get it Rolling and the online banks send some verification on number provided.
Also you would need a UK address to open an account.
Yet give it a go, try Monzo, Revolut.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phil46: 9:07am On Dec 02, 2022
leef2022:

Not sure that sim is active as you would have to topup to get it Rolling and the online banks send some verification on number provided.
Also you would need a UK address to open an account.
Yet give it a go, try Monzo, Revolut.

Thank you very much. I will give it a try and if it doesn't work, I will wait till I get to the UK. Thanks for suggesting those banks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 9:52am On Dec 02, 2022
Viruses:

The issue is that they are not looking at them in a condescending way. Dont you get!
They are only encouraging them to target higher jobs even whilst still doing their lower job. So no one is looking down on anyone

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 9:59am On Dec 02, 2022
Abeg let love reign o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 9:59am On Dec 02, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:09am On Dec 02, 2022
eniola1010:

Which one is now better and cheaper.
Because i see a lot of people saying electric is better but i beg to differ o.

All the gas heater i have seen always heat faster and reaches wider. Most electric i have seen dont heat as fast and the heat doesnt disperse to wider reach like the gas own.

Of course, Electric is more expensive
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 10:11am On Dec 02, 2022
Getting accommodation of £700 for the 3 of you in London will be like finding a pin in a haystack. Rent in London isn't playing and the houses are taken up quite quickly; you will most likely need to up your budget except you get a good samaritan who's willing to charge you less but that's gonna be tough.
Typical rent for a 2-3 bed flat is anything from £1,300 and above; some 1 beds are from £1,000 upwards depending on the area. You might be lucky to get something lesser but all I can say is try.
The further you're from London, the cheaper your rent might be but this will mean an increase in your transportation costs.
Use your school's postcode to review distance and house rent so you have an idea of how much it will most likely cost you.
tblackE61:
Good morning to you all, pls my wife and I would be going to Uk this December with our 14mnth old son on student route visa , her sch is in london pls kindly suggest closest place to london to get an apartment as I was made to understand living in london is extremly high, and we wouldn’t mind if any one can help us with a one bedroom apartment ! Budget is 700 pounds max

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:13am On Dec 02, 2022
jadepinkett:

This bills are just scary � � �... how can one regulate their thermostat from the get go. If I have to pay this amount to learn a lesson, I'd just sit down and cry for the whole month..

If not that I was forming "hard man", I would have cried o! The regulators differ per house. Mine is quite straightforward thankfully. I just redice the set room temperature, so once the room reaches that temperature, the boiler goes off. The colder (lower temperature), the cheaper

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 10:15am On Dec 02, 2022
May life not dealt anyone of us a hard blow. Even if it does, remain resolute, aim for the very best.

In aiming for the stars, one might land on the moon or even the cloud. Yet, some might not scale up pronto. Nonetheless, each one must keep preparing with tenacity and aiming high with precision, giving it their ALL.
May we all reach the pinacle of our endeavours. Yet, the summit of Koma hill differs from Idanre rolling hills or Olumo rocks. Ditto, the peak of Kilimanjaro ain't summit of Everest. Each, present a breathtaking view!!! and 'satisfaction' in its own way.
Start high, keep moving high.
Start low, keep pushing high.
Ki Oluwa fun gbogbo wa ni ore-ọfẹ, imọ ati okun.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:28am On Dec 02, 2022
deept:

Gas is not cheaper than electricity. Infact both are not cheap right now. It should not be a choice between either of them but how to regulate their use, simple things like switch off lights when not in use, boil only required volume of water you want to use for tea, etc helps.

Yup, particularly appliances that heat and cool. Do your bulbs get hot? Buy Energy Saving bulbs instead.

Recently, I studied my regulator for hot water and changed the settings, now it heats water only between 1am and 3am or so. Those 2 hours of heating daily is just enough for my entire family hot water usage daily: no more, no less. That was my magic number: any thing more than 2 hours, I have excess; anything less than 2 hours won't be enough.

Your curtains too, changing to thermal blinds that traps in heat could save you a lot.

Instead of heating the whole house so you can go around shirtless, turn down the heater and wear two layers of clothes. Saving £100 monthly throughout winter is a lot!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:36am On Dec 02, 2022
Viruses:

Wow, Omo, see mindset o!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:36am On Dec 02, 2022
semmyk:
May life not dealt anyone of us a hard blow. Even if it does, remain resolute, aim for the very best.

In aiming for the stars, one might land on the moon or even the cloud. Yet, some might not scale up pronto. Nonetheless, each one must keep preparing with tenacity and aiming high with precision, giving it their ALL.
May we all reach the pinacle of our endeavours. Yet, the summit of Koma hill differs from Idanre rolling hills or Olumo rocks. Ditto, the peak of Kilimanjaro ain't summit of Everest. Each, present a breathtaking view!!! and 'satisfaction' in its own way.
Start high, keep moving high.
Start low, keep pushing high.
Ki Oluwa fun gbogbo wa ni ore-ọfẹ, imọ ati okun.

Amin oh Pastor!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:46am On Dec 02, 2022
eniola1010:

The issue is that they are not looking at them in a condescending way. Dont you get!
They are only encouraging them to target higher jobs even whilst still doing their lower job. So no one is looking down on anyone

I can't believe people think that way. On a faceless platform? What would anyone gain by being condescending? People are sharing testimonies and quoting sites where they found jobs, giving strategies to their fellow Nigerians in the hope that people who can, will get better pays and others are attacking them. Hmmm...

I met an Indian who came in on a Dependent visa, as soon as he landed, he reached out to other Indians and told them the kind of job he wanted and they all pushed, advised, directed, referred... Within 1 month, he landed an Analsyt role where he was earning very well. He wasn't an Analyst in India o.

Of course, not everyone can get these jobs but everyone can try. You would be shocked at the volume of opportunities lurking around we are not aware of.

I have seen the people being attacked share some very good strategies here that anyone can try, I think people should look into them, at least, in the nearest future, no one would share such info again so they won't say "If God blesses you, don't look down on others..."

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JustJoy0717: 11:02am On Dec 02, 2022
It's okay to settle especially when there's time crunch to renew your resident permit, which is the case for most people. What's not okay is not striving to becoming better or aim for better positions.

Justwise is only trying to get you to see why people need to take what is available in the moment and then work their way up. For instance, I'm starting with a HCA offer cos I need the sponsorship to put in my application to renew RP that expires January 2023, the "bigger/better" roles are yet to make any offer, no time to keep searching. Take what's available, regularise your stay and then keep searching. I do not intend to remain an HCA for long, I will definitely be moving upwards...that's d plan!

Amarathripple0:

Maybe I’m missing something but telling people to take whatever job because of sponsorship and ILR is still asking people to settle. Anyway, you are right, and if you think I am not making any sense, you are also right.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (740) (741) (742) (743) (744) (745) (746) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.