Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,162 members, 7,835,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (748) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1199202 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (745) (746) (747) (748) (749) (750) (751) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:00pm On Dec 04, 2022
Estroller:
Who else is rooting for Senegal tonight

Me, just cos I don't like England and their noise / overhyped bs

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Iolo(m): 2:14pm On Dec 04, 2022
yolkman20:
Hello ancestors,

My wife's about to finish her study so we're planning to relocate to outside of London. I was planning west midlands, anywhere commutable to Birmingham city center, but my uncle is against it because we have no one there to help with our baby, this is because we normally drop her with his wife when our shift clashes.

More so, He advised we get sponsorship first before securing a house, but we really want to leave because we're currently living in a shared apartment and our neighbor is really crazy, I had to call the police on her last week. We can't wait that long as we're still looking out and london is out of it. I believe we should be able to get care or support worker sponsorship within Birmingham or anywhere close, (if anyone can help with plugs, I'd appreciate.)

Another challenge is the house thing, most agent insist because I'm not on full employment and my self employed isn't up to a year, they won't be able to proceed with me. Please, any tricks or ideas to bypass this will be appreciated.

We wish to move in before xmass.

Looking forward to your comments.

Child care costs are ridiculous. If you have a baby, listen to your uncles advice. You can move further out of London but somewhere where he can still be of help to you guys with the baby.

Keep searching and you will find a landlord willing to rent to you with your condition. You may also need to downscale so it doesn’t appear large for your finances. Finally sponsorship opportunities are better in and around London in my view.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rowon(m): 2:14pm On Dec 04, 2022
My wife is a student and I am her dependant. Council just brought tax of £1222.21. How can we get full exemption ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 2:20pm On Dec 04, 2022
rowon:
My wife is a student and I am her dependant. Council just brought tax of £1222.21. How can we get full exemption ?

Send them a mail requesting for an exemption or full student discount.

Quote/check the links for references

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff72860d03e7f57ea8dcf/amp

Or

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/local-government/65852.article

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MrMash(m): 2:54pm On Dec 04, 2022
lightnlife:
At an average daily rate of £7.50, it's high.

Even if your house is all electric - power, heating and eating - you shouldn't be paying that high. Either there's a debt on the bill or the energy rating is between band E - G, abi person don tap your light grin.

For context, I stay in a one-bed flat. Prior to the current weather, my electricity (pre-paid) was £30 per month and gas was £31. Now, I'm doing £40 - £50 for electricity and £46 for gas (cooking and heating). Both are still under £100.

Even if it's only electricity you're using for power, heating and eating, £250 is rather too much.

Please how do I know if Dem don tap my light ? The energy rating is B (83). I already contacted a new supplier , they will be installing a new meter in 5 days . I topped-up 25pounds around 10pm yesterday, I just checked I have 11 pounds left . If it is a case of energy "tapping" changing supplier won't help.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 2:54pm On Dec 04, 2022
No, I've not encountered any issue with withdrawing at the ATM with a Nigerian USD card.

My singular concern is the exchange rate. Which is marginal compared to directly receiving the funds in USD.

NB: Use a bank ATM as against a random machine when withdrawing to avoid unnecessary withdrawal charges. My withdrawals at bank ATMs have been billed for $3, while random ATM cost me $30 or so.

Hope that helps.

vanod:

Good everyone,

pls do you encounter any challenge when you want to withdraw from your Nigeria USD card here? what are issues faced, how can one go about resolving the issue. pls your response will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MrMash(m): 2:55pm On Dec 04, 2022
Or could it be that this type of Boiler is not energy efficient?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 3:12pm On Dec 04, 2022
MrMash:

Please how do I know if Dem don tap my light ? The energy rating is B (83). I already contacted a new supplier , they will be installing a new meter in 5 days . I topped-up 25pounds around 10pm yesterday, I just checked I have 11 pounds left . If it is a case of energy "tapping" changing supplier won't help.

There's something very seriously wrong.

My advice is to contact an electrician if you can. Or reach out to your landlord.

Just get someone to inspect the setup.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phil46: 3:30pm On Dec 04, 2022
xterra2:

Is the sim given to you at TLS Lebara.? If yes, i was also given such in Abuja TLS May. - My sim did not work in Nigeria, immediately i landed in heathrow , it activated and was active, it came with data plan too (3G or so i think) and some minutes.

To answer your question yes you can, i advise use VPN and set location to UK first, go for Monzo. You can use your int'l passport as means of ID for Monzo, that is what i used and have revalidated it using Int'l passport. You also do not need a proof of address to open like Barclays.
You need to secure accommodation before thinking of the bank account as that is where they'd send the card too. But you can use Airbnb if you book a private accommodation but seek permission from the host first before sending a post to his/adress, although i do not know why you are in a hurry as monzo card comes fast. it came in 1 business day to me in London this Nov. Otherwise within 3 as that is when i got previously in east midlands.

Thank you very much for this well detailed reply. Yes, the sim is Libara and comes with free 7GB and some minutes.

I only wanted to open an account beforehand to avoid being stranded with cash. But I've decided to hold off on that, and get some cash from Nigeria instead. I'll be staying in an Airbnb for a few days and wouldn't want to use the address for any registration. I'll do all that after securing a permanent residence.

Thanks again for the heads up!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phil46: 3:32pm On Dec 04, 2022
[quote author=lightnlife post=118896016]No, I've not encountered any issue with withdrawing at the ATM with a Nigerian USD card.

My singular concern is the exchange rate. Which is marginal compared to directly receiving the funds in USD.

NB: Use a bank ATM as against a random machine when withdrawing to avoid unnecessary withdrawal charges. My withdrawals at bank ATMs have been billed for $3, while random ATM cost me $30 or so.

Just one quick question please - if I use my Gtb dormiciliary card in an ATM, I'm going to get pounds cash equivalent of the dollar amount, right?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 3:56pm On Dec 04, 2022
Yes that's correct if GTBank head come down and they allow you cheesy

Phil46:

....Just one quick question please - if I use my Gtb dormiciliary card in an ATM, I'm going to get pounds cash equivalent of the dollar amount, right?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by davide470(m): 4:05pm On Dec 04, 2022

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phil46: 4:27pm On Dec 04, 2022
bigtt76:
Yes that's correct if GTBank head come down and they allow you cheesy

Hmnnnn, meaning it's not certain that the card will always work, right? How else does one transact with the account?

I'm coming this December and was hoping I could rely on it pending the time I'll open UK bank account.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 4:33pm On Dec 04, 2022
Thanks for the insight.

It's gets interesting with this twist.

Essentially, I'm trying to avoid paying tax on the funds. The contract was awarded in Nigeria and payment needs to be made to the workers in Nigeria in USD. I'm unable to transfer from my Nigerian USD account while here as per CBN/Forex issues in Nigeria. Having the funds taxed will be a huge burden on me as 80% is meant for workers - my profit would have been lost to tax and transaction fees.

If I decide not to declare the income to the HMRC, what are the consequences?

Or what alternatives do the advise to receive and send USD without being taxed in the UK. Thanks

Estroller:

No HMRC won't tax your USD receipts automatically, but you do have a responsibility to declare it and pay applicable tax on it if it is classed as an income via self assessment. You only get taxed automatically on income you receive as as an employee via the PAYE system. Other incomes you'll have to declare and pay appropriate tax on them through self assessment.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 4:37pm On Dec 04, 2022
That's correct. You'll be paid in pound (GBP) but charged in USD as on your card.

If you're still in Nigeria, I'd advise you withdraw your USD, exchange it to Naira then use the Naira to buy pounds. Bring your pounds in cash from Nigeria.

It's better than converting your USD to GBP over the ATM.

You can always deposit the GBP to a bank account once you're here.

[quote author=Phil46 post=118897181][/quote]
Phil46

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rowon(m): 4:42pm On Dec 04, 2022
Thanks
rayralph:

Send them a mail requesting for an exemption or full student discount.

Quote/check the links for references

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff72860d03e7f57ea8dcf/amp

Or

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/local-government/65852.article
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 4:42pm On Dec 04, 2022
Ha! I see you literally took my most useless opinion to heart. I can understand why sha - it's the obvious thinking from back home. shocked

Anyway, I wouldn't think that (tapping) is a possibility here.

But if you think it is, you'd be better off calling an electrician or speaking with your landlady to arrange an electrician to assess the energy efficiency and components of the house. Won't be necessary for you to mention the possibility of tapping grin. Just tell them your plight about crazy unit consumption. Best wishes.

MrMash:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 4:45pm On Dec 04, 2022
hustla:

Me, just cos I don't like England and their noise / overhyped bs

grin

grin may the teranga win the battle of the lions tonight
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 4:52pm On Dec 04, 2022
lightnlife:
Thanks for the insight.

Essentially, I'm trying to avoid paying tax on the funds. The contract was awarded in Nigeria and payment needs to be made to the workers in Nigeria in USD. I'm unable to transfer from my Nigerian USD account while here as per CBN/Forex issues in Nigeria. Having the funds taxed will be a huge burden on me as 80% is meant for workers - my profit would have been lost to tax and transaction fees.

Or what alternatives do the advise to receive and send USD without being taxed in the UK. Thanks

If you earned the money before becoming a UK tax resident, you might have some wiggle room. If you choose not to declare it, we both can imagine what the "qonshequenches" will be grin. You'll essentially be breaking the law by not declaring it, but again na who dem catch be thief.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 4:52pm On Dec 04, 2022
lightnlife:
Thanks for the insight.

This is what I usually do and even did a few days ago. The money is paid from the US to my Naija FX account and then I transfer the dollars to my FX changer (via GTB) in exchange for Naira at the black market rate and either buy pounds from another FX changer (I send him Naira and he sends Pounds to my Barclays) or I use Lemonade, depending on whose rate is better. The rate from USD to Pounds is very similar to the exchange rate from USD to Naira to Pounds. I’ve found that the latter rate is sometimes better. I hope this makes sense.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by adexcool(m): 5:07pm On Dec 04, 2022
jadepinkett:

You could actually only spend £45/week on Airbnb. If you have to be in the office twice a week, then get the room for one night. Go in the morning, spend the night, work the following day and then return home. This way, you also do not have to pay transport twice. Unless there are specific days they want you to come in. Due to distance, I believe this can be negotiable.

In the long run, see how it impacts you to spend two consecutive days and if your take home covers it.
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 5:46pm On Dec 04, 2022
Yes. ...not certain cos they might disappoint you but worth trying. Once you get here you can easily open either Revolut or Monese or Monzo accounts. To fund them you will need cash to pay in at the post office though

Phil46:

Hmnnnn, meaning it's not certain that the card will always work, right? How else does one transact with the account?

I'm coming this December and was hoping I could rely on it pending the time I'll open UK bank account.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:00pm On Dec 04, 2022
You can use your AirBnB for your Revolut account opening, get a card delivered and thereafter change the address ....very easy and stress-free. I will suggest you do this.

Phil46:

Thank you very much for this well detailed reply. Yes, the sim is Libara and comes with free 7GB and some minutes.

I only wanted to open an account beforehand to avoid being stranded with cash. But I've decided to hold off on that, and get some cash from Nigeria instead. I'll be staying in an Airbnb for a few days and wouldn't want to use the address for any registration. I'll do all that after securing a permanent residence.

Thanks again for the heads up!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by enesty(m): 6:01pm On Dec 04, 2022
Hi all
Please any link to a one bedroom flat in paisley or Glasgow. Am resuming January
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MrMash(m): 6:20pm On Dec 04, 2022
lightnlife:
Ha! I see you literally took my most useless opinion to heart. I can understand why sha - it's the obvious thinking from back home. shocked

Anyway, I wouldn't think that (tapping) is a possibility here.

But if you think it is, you'd be better off calling an electrician or speaking with your landlady to arrange an electrician to assess the energy efficiency and components of the house. Won't be necessary for you to mention the possibility of tapping grin. Just tell them your plight about crazy unit consumption. Best wishes.

grin grin I don tire baba. 80 pounds weekly is no joke.
Thanks for you help.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 6:31pm On Dec 04, 2022
This is gonna be long.
For over 2 days i slept on youtube looking for that one video that will explain to someone how uk NI(national insurance) and income tax is being taxed.

I noticed a lot of people on the thread dont really understand the arithmetic aspect of how the tax works. Even if there are calculators online to do the whole thing for you, i'm sure guys like me are on the thread who loves hand on deck calculations just to see exactly how the system works.

This is also good if you want to compare different countries tax and see which country u wanna settle in.

First, the tax bands are as follows, dont let this confuse you. It is my examples that will give you clearer understanding.

£0 - £12570 is 12570 and 0% (personal allowance)
£12571 - £50270 is 37699 and 20% (basic band)
£50271 - £150000 is 99729 and 40% (higer band)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to know what your net pay is after tax have been taken from your gross pay.
Your gross pay is your salary before tax.
Your net pay is your salary after tax.

EXAMPLE1
Your salary is £60000
First and foremost, you are entitled to personal allowance of £12570 and this will not be taxed.

-------------

This 47430 falls between band2 (37699) and band3 (99729)

What then happens is this.

37699 from your 47430 will be taxed at 20%. Which is 37699x0.2 is 7539.

When 37699 is taking from the 47430, you know it will remain 9731, now that 9731 will be taxed at 40%. That will be 9731x0.4 which is 3892.

Conclusively, it means if your salary is 60000, you will be taxed 11,431 being (3892+7539).

EXAMPLE2
Let us assume your salary is 52000.

First and foremost remove the 12570 that is not taxable.

--------------

39430 falls in the range of (37699) and (99729), which are 20% and 40% respectively.

So, 37699 from your 39430 will be taxed at 20%. Which is 37699x0.2 is 7539.

Now, remember that when 37699 is taken from your 39430, it will remain 1731.
This 1731 will now be taxed at 40%.
So, 1731x0.4 is 692.

Conclusively, on your salary of 52000, you are taxed 8231 being (692+7539).

Example 3
Let us assume your salary is 25000
First and foremost, remove your 12570.

-------------

Since 12430 falls on the personal allowance band. They'll just use the basic band. Which is 20%. 12430x0.2 is 2486.

Conclusively, your tax from 25000 is 2486.

Note i did some round up. This is not perfect. But near perfect.
Let me know if u find this useful. Then i'll do the one with NI included.

30 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 6:42pm On Dec 04, 2022
Hi Ancestors

I have just finished my msc degree and am preparing for visa renewal,but someone said I should apply 28days before expiry or just some days before brp expiry is okay.

Kindly advise which is advisable at this point

TIA
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phil46: 7:01pm On Dec 04, 2022
lightnlife:
That's correct. You'll be paid in pound (GBP) but charged in USD as on your card.

If you're still in Nigeria, I'd advise you withdraw your USD, exchange it to Naira then use the Naira to buy pounds. Bring your pounds in cash from Nigeria.

It's better than converting your USD to GBP over the ATM.

You can always deposit the GBP to a bank account once you're here.

Phil46

Thank you very much. Yes, I'm still in Nigeria, and will follow your advice to avoid all the bottlenecks associated with USD-GBP conversion.

Many thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phil46: 7:03pm On Dec 04, 2022
bigtt76:
Yes. ...not certain cos they might disappoint you but worth trying. Once you get here you can easily open either Revolut or Monese or Monzo accounts. To fund them you will need cash to pay in at the post office though

Thank you very much. Someone just advised me to withdraw the funds, change to pounds and come with that instead of using dollar-pounds conversion over there. And I think I'll just go by that.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phil46: 7:06pm On Dec 04, 2022
bigtt76:
You can use your AirBnB for your Revolut account opening, get a card delivered and thereafter change the address ....very easy and stress-free. I will suggest you do this.

That sounds great! I'll go by this then. Many thanks for the insights - I found them very helpful!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 7:08pm On Dec 04, 2022
eniola1010:
This is gonna be long.
For over 2 days i slept on youtube looking for that one video that will explain to someone how uk NI(national insurance) and income tax is being taxed.

I noticed a lot of people on the thread dont really understand the arithmetic aspect of how the tax works. Even if there are calculators online to do the whole thing for you, i'm sure guys like me are on the thread who loves hand on deck calculations just to see exactly how the system works.

This is also good if you want to compare different countries tax and see which country u wanna settle in.

First, the tax bands are as follows, dont let this confuse you. It is my examples that will give you clearer understanding.

£0 - £12570 is 12570 and 0% (personal allowance)
£12571 - £50270 is 37699 and 20% (basic band)
£50271 - £150000 is 99729 and 40% (higer band)
We want to know what your net pay is after tax have been taken from your gross pay.
Your gross pay is your salary before tax.
Your net pay is your salary after tax.

EXAMPLE1
Your salary is £60000
First and foremost, you are entitled to personal allowance of £12570 and this will not be taxed.

-------------

This 47430 falls between band2 (37699) and band3 (99729)

What then happens is this.

37699 from your 47430 will be taxed at 20%. Which is 37699x0.2 is 7539.

When 37699 is taking from the 47430, you know it will remain 9731, now that 9731 will be taxed at 40%. That will be 9731x0.4 which is 3892.

Conclusively, it means if your salary is 60000, you will be taxed 11,431 being (3892+7539).

EXAMPLE2
Let us assume your salary is 52000.

First and foremost remove the 12570 that is not taxable.

--------------

39430 falls in the range of (37699) and (99729), which are 20% and 40% respectively.

So, 37699 from your 39430 will be taxed at 20%. Which is 37699x0.2 is 7539.

Now, remember that when 37699 is taken from your 39430, it will remain 1731.
This 1731 will now be taxed at 40%.
So, 1731x0.4 is 692.

Conclusively, on your salary of 52000, you are taxed 8231 being (692+7539).

Example 3
Let us assume your salary is 25000
First and foremost, remove your 12570.

-------------

Since 12430 falls on the personal allowance band. They'll just use the basic band. Which is 20%. 12430x0.2 is 2486.

Conclusively, your tax from 25000 is 2486.

Note i did some round up. This is not perfect. But near perfect.
Let me know if u find this useful. Then i'll do the one with NI included.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (745) (746) (747) (748) (749) (750) (751) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.