Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,900 members, 7,814,045 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (765) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1174885 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (762) (763) (764) (765) (766) (767) (768) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 10:54am On Dec 14, 2022
Phil46:
Hello All,

Please, I need advice on how to get accommodation around Southend on Sea, Essex. I've been staying in an Airbnb since I came on weekend. I'd be happy to hear from anyone around that can help, as well as any tips for getting one ASAP. I've been calling agents and landlords I saw online but haven't got anything yet. It's always, sorry the room has been taken or we will get back to you. The only one I saw was way above my budget, they wanted 750£ per month. I just need a room anywhere close to the University of Essex, Southend campus. Thanks
I know it’s really cold right now but you should jacket up and walk around to look for agencies close to where you live. Search for "letting agents near me” on google to find them. Use the walking direction option on google maps to get to each one of them.

You can also put up a post on your school’s Facebook page mentioning that you are looking to rent a room and if anyone has a spare room available to rent.

Finally, have you checked https://m.spareroom.co.uk/
https://www.gumtree.com/property-to-share/uk/room+to+rent ?
All the best!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 11:03am On Dec 14, 2022
Lexusgs430:

LOL...

Best to spend money on gas heating, than receiving an electric shock, from electric blanket .......... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 11:27am On Dec 14, 2022
mimilyrics:
For the 5 year route, the count starts from when you got your work visa. Time spent on your student visa isn't counted.

Alright. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by cleric7: 12:51pm On Dec 14, 2022
cleric7:
Hello Everyone
I recently got my visa switch approved. I opted for priority service and got my decision mail the day after - Nov 8. Up until now ( About 24 working days) I’m still yet to get my brp. I’ve reported on the gov.uk a couple of times and the responses seem like a template - brp delivery team says it’s not a delivery issue and that a case worker will reach out to me meanwhile no further communication, no one has reached out to me. Same thing when I call their office.

Any advice on what to do?
@ justwise, dupyshoo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by brine(m): 1:13pm On Dec 14, 2022
Pogracious:

Telling the agent that I am not renewing at the end of the contract does not suffice as notice?
This response was sent to them on October,that is like 2 months notice or it must come with the word NOTICE

Not wanting to renew a contract is different from "wanting to vacate the property". Tbh, I doubt there's anything you'll be able to do other than paying the rent unless they change their mind.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 2:27pm On Dec 14, 2022
Have you checked the bank statement of the card used? Cod be that you were debited multiple times without you knowing but the best thing would be to pretend they never refunded you and keep the funds in an account you don't use incase they request you to return it.

MrMash:

Student: Paid 481 as visa fee

Dependant: Paid 650 as visa fee. (They are refunding the total amount)........ Product type : PBS, Start-up, Innovator or Global Talent – Partner visa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Iamfavored: 3:47pm On Dec 14, 2022
Amarathripple0:

So I used Wise (formerly Transferwise) for this when I was in Naija. I used my GTB dollar card to pay money into my wise GBP account.
Is this still valid?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 3:54pm On Dec 14, 2022
Iamfavored:

Is this still valid?
I’m not sure if this still works. If you need to transfer dollars into your UK account. Just change the dollars to Naira and then buy Pounds with it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 6:09pm On Dec 14, 2022
The only info I could find is for you to report it online.
cleric7:

@ justwise, dupyshoo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phil46: 7:41pm On Dec 14, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I know it’s really cold right now but you should jacket up and walk around to look for agencies close to where you live. Search for "letting agents near me” on google to find them. Use the walking direction option on google maps to get to each one of them.

You can also put up a post on your school’s Facebook page mentioning that you are looking to rent a room and if anyone has a spare room available to rent.

Finally, have you checked https://m.spareroom.co.uk/
https://www.gumtree.com/property-to-share/uk/room+to+rent ?
All the best!

Thank you very much Amara. Yes, the cold has not being brutal lol, but we muvee. I'm currently using Sparerom and other rent sites and I have like 4 viewing appointments for tomorrow. I'll also check those letting agents and Facebook group options as you rightly suggested. Thanks so much for the heads up.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harddrive2012: 9:12pm On Dec 14, 2022
Greetings,

Please I’ve been trying to call my contact(HR) person about a new job offer in Uk but seems she can only call me and I can’t call her from Nigeria here. I’ve added +44 to the number but still not connecting here. Abeg can anyone help me on how to resolve this ?

Thanks in advance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by peacenaija(m): 9:14pm On Dec 14, 2022
harddrive2012:
Greetings,

Please I’ve been trying to call my contact(HR) person about a new job offer in Uk but seems she can only call me and I can’t call her from Nigeria here. I’ve added +44 to the number but still not connecting here. Abeg can anyone help me on how to resolve this ?

Thanks in advance

Send a mail or remove the zero after +44 like +234 (0) 81>>>>>>>.... just remove the zero also
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ogbaba123: 10:15pm On Dec 14, 2022
I really dont know what to say but just hoping you've gotten rid of the leech.

babajeje123:
Advise needed please.
Now I am begining to understand why most Nigerians here don't want to accomodate newcomers who are Nigerians. I accommodated a guy who is becoming difficult for me to handle just because I don't like wahala. We lived in the same house in Nigeria and during those period we were never friends. We only exchanged greetings sometimes as he was very rude and proud. So when he got to know that I left Naija with my family, he became a 'friend', call

Please I need advise to handle this maturedly. Since he came none of his people called to say 'thank you' not even his girlfriend that we know. But I don't care at all as all I want is for him to leave as I don't want to continue to sacrifice the comfort of my family to someone who is unappreciative.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 10:54pm On Dec 14, 2022
Ogbaba123:
I really dont know what to say but just hoping you've gotten rid of the leech.

He left on Monday.

25 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ogbaba123: 11:12pm On Dec 14, 2022
May affliction not rise a second time

babajeje123:

He left on Monday.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 11:27pm On Dec 14, 2022
Congratulations Fatima....time flies indeed

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 11:59pm On Dec 14, 2022
I thought you said Friday? You still left him till Monday? angry

babajeje123:

He left on Monday.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Omoluv5: 12:08am On Dec 15, 2022
Please my people, I need help!!!

What can be done if UK dependents (children only) visa fee was paid and biometrics appointment successfully booked without IHS payment?

While filling the visa application forms, my husband mistakenly declared under 18 (we think that's where the error was made), made payments and booked a date only to realise that he hasn't paid the IHS fee, and the page to do that is no longer coming up. He sent a mail to IHS through the addresses he was able to get online on Sunday, but we haven't heard anything from them since then and the appointment date is next week...

What else can be done please? @Justwise @mimilyrics @everyone
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 4:23am On Dec 15, 2022
babajeje123:

He left on Monday.

For learning purposes only smiley can you tell us what worked?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 5:32am On Dec 15, 2022
Cancel the application/appointment and re-do it again. Funds may take time to be refunded though so you need to make provision for the extra cash to do this.

Omoluv5:
Please my people, I need help!!!

What can be done if UK dependents (children only) visa fee was paid and biometrics appointment successfully booked without IHS payment?

While filling the visa application forms, my husband mistakenly declared under 18 (we think that's where the error was made), made payments and booked a date only to realise that he hasn't paid the IHS fee, and the page to do that is no longer coming up. He sent a mail to IHS through the addresses he was able to get online on Sunday, but we haven't heard anything from them since then and the appointment date is next week...

What else can be done please? @Justwise @mimilyrics @everyone
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Omoluv5: 5:56am On Dec 15, 2022
Okay, thank you so much for your response...

Meanwhile, someone is advising we go ahead with submitting the biometrics because UKVI will definitely contact us to make the IHS payment before they make decisions. How true please?

bigtt76:
Cancel the application/appointment and re-do it again. Funds may take time to be refunded though so you need to make provision for the extra cash to do this.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:11am On Dec 15, 2022
No idea about that but if you have your appointment date sealed, then go for it and see if it works. The option I thought best to avoid issues is what I've suggested. All the best

Omoluv5:

Meanwhile, someone is advising we go ahead with submitting the biometrics because UKVI will definitely contact us to make the IHS payment before they make decisions. How true please?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:46am On Dec 15, 2022
Omoluv5:

Yes they will, those people like money too much, go ahead with the application but keep that money aside as you will need to make the payment at some point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:12am On Dec 15, 2022
Who no like moni (money, ego, kudi, owo) grin wink grin
Anyway, make person no like too much o. Na so I hear say the love of moni is the root of all ......
justwise:
Yes they will, those people like money too much, ... ...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CornOak(m): 8:19am On Dec 15, 2022
Hello elders.

Please I need clarifications on this issue.

A friend is planning to apply for student visa for herself and her kid. However, the husband is already in the UK and out of status (visiting).

Question: Would the hubby's status (overstay) affect the family's student visa application?

How can they go about it? Your answers, advices, and suggestions would highly be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 8:25am On Dec 15, 2022
Omoluv5:

You said your husband mistakenly declared under 18. Has that mistake been corrected or it does not matter?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:28am On Dec 15, 2022
CornOak:
Hello elders.

Please I need clarifications on this issue.

A friend is planning to apply for student visa for herself and her kid. However, the husband is already in the UK and out of status (visiting).

Question: Would the hubby's status (overstay) affect the family's student visa application?

How can they go about it? Your answers, advices, and suggestions would highly be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Does she intend to include her husband, on her application........... wink

Make everybody bear hin baba name .......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CornOak(m): 8:32am On Dec 15, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Does she intend to include her husband, on her application........... wink

Make everybody bear hin baba name .......... grin

The husband will come into the picture when signing the child's consent form and marriage status.

Also, both mama and daughter already have their passports in the hubby's name. lipsrsealed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:36am On Dec 15, 2022
CornOak:

The husband will come into the picture when signing the child's consent form and marriage status.

Also, both mama and daughter already have their passports in the hubby's name. lipsrsealed

I can understand the daughter's, but not the wife ........

STOP CHANGING YOUR NAMES, IT DOES NOT SOLIDIFY YOUR UNION....... enough shouting......... grin

They can still apply, regardless......... He does not need to be mentioned, on the application............

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:37am On Dec 15, 2022
CornOak:

Ever heard the term, single parent......... smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CornOak(m): 9:00am On Dec 15, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Ever heard the term, single parent......... smiley

Another angle. shocked
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:05am On Dec 15, 2022
CornOak:

Another angle. shocked

To every problem, a solution exists.......

Unless they are refusing to explore .......... grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (762) (763) (764) (765) (766) (767) (768) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.