Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,022 members, 7,814,497 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (777) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1175998 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (774) (775) (776) (777) (778) (779) (780) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 24, 2022
triplo3:

See the email I got from Home Office (Decision mail) attached.

Please why am I the first person being told to rely on Gov website to proof my status. Never heard of it from family and friends or on the forum.

Can anyone please confirm if they've been in my shoes please?

I'm about to book the foreign trip, I don't want issues having to return back to UK.

Thanks ahead.

I think I saw a use for this while applying for provisional license recently.
i.e you can now use a share code to prove your immigration status instead of moving around with brp

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 24, 2022
Lexusgs430:

The question on my lips is, why did you travel to the UK, with ₦10,000........... cheesy

Emefiele don destroy that your money ....... Just put am jejely for recycle bin .......... cheesy

Wanted to pepper the UK with hard Nigerian currency.. cool

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:41pm On Dec 24, 2022
Miracood2:

Wanted to pepper the UK with hard Nigerian currency.. cool

Now CBN don extend the pepper......... tongue

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 9:09pm On Dec 24, 2022
Goke7:

For psw, it's from the date it was approved
Thanks a bunch!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TWoods(m): 9:45pm On Dec 24, 2022
eniola1010:

My sister. Want to ask u something. Is it possible for one's credit score to increase without having to devise the cc or borrow and pay back on time method.

Cant someone just live his life normally, earn his salary, and use his card to buy something with the money in his card. Wont this also increase credit score?

A credit score is simply an estimate of how good you are with debt (credit). So you can’t improve your credit score by never having debt.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Meogom: 9:51pm On Dec 24, 2022
semmyk:
Let's hope for an architect to come along to provide insights?
In the meantime, using my engrg background, I went checking and came up with the following
The body that regulates architecture in the UK is the ABA - https://arb.org.uk/
The official register is collated at https://architects-register.org.uk/

As with anything else in the UK, starting point is the gov site.
To become an architect - www.gov.uk/architect
Process, qualifications, exams - https://arb.org.uk/architect-information/applying-for-registration-for-the-first-time/i-hold-overseas-non-recognised-uk-qualifications/

See: www.gov.uk/government/organisations/architects-registration-board

While still in 9ja, let your friend join this institute.
www.architecture.com/join-riba
Pls note just as in engrg, the regulatory body is different from the professional body.

Being a senior architect in 9ja, what registration does (s)he holds and with of the body does (s)he belongs to in 9ja?

My personal view
Anyone that is a qualified architect in 9ja (Nigerian Institute of Architects (NIA) Professional Practice Examination (PPE)) should not have it that difficult following the UK ARB route (above).
NB: I still think though that there should be some sort of cross recognition (like we have in engrg like the Washington Accord et al). In any case, 9ja allows those formally qualified in their own country to 'skip' the qualification requirement towards PPE (as I understand it) PS: I'm not an architect!!!

Let your friend join RIBA as an Associate - www.architecture.com/join-riba/associate-membership
Move to the UK to do a recognised PG course in Arch, while simultaneously working towards chartered
Or attempt doing a Professional Practice PG Cert/PG Dip in Arch on part time while in 9ja and working towards chartered membership of RIBA
All the best

[UPDATED]
Found what I was hoping for. A direct process to becoming chartered. I'll assume, just like for engrg, it's not going to be a walk in the park but should be straightforward for one that is genuinely qualified and practicing professionally.
Applying for RIBA Chartered Membership via MEAP - www.architecture.com/join-riba/individual-chartered-membership/meap

Good day chief and other gurus in the house. I can see u are my senior engineering colleague. I am an electrical engineer and relatively new in UK, I will like advice on how best to progress as an engineer in this terrain, what to do to improve my chances, how to become chartered (if it's necessary) and any other advice generally. I have a fairly ok job but still looking for better options especially one with sponsorship. I am a beneficiary of some great tips from wonderful platform, they've really assisted in our settling down.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamAfrik(m): 10:08pm On Dec 24, 2022
Good day all,
Please guidance to opening an account (Monzo or Starling bank) in the UK for student and dependant is needed. What documents are required to complete the process? I do not have proof of residence (arrived less than a week), as I am living with a relative.
Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by excelchips(m): 10:57pm On Dec 24, 2022
Hello House, Please, what is the best way or tutorial website to prepare for UK theory driving test.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:53pm On Dec 24, 2022
excelchips:
Hello House, Please, what is the best way or tutorial website to prepare for UK theory driving test.

All you need is an app, from the playstore...... (cannot remember the app name)........

I think it's called 4 in 1 theory test (don't quote me)...... grin

NB: Simply dig through thread, other questions you might need to ask in the future, have already been answered....... cheesy

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 1:37am On Dec 25, 2022
Well done Sirs/Mas, I need to make enquiry on this cycle to work scheme, please hope it’s not public funds. And anyone can explain in lame man terms as am not understanding all this online jargons and am eager to get a bike for work before the holiday runs out.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:35am On Dec 25, 2022
AgentXxx:
Well done Sirs/Mas, I need to make enquiry on this cycle to work scheme, please hope it’s not public funds. And anyone can explain in lame man terms as am not understanding all this online jargons and am eager to get a bike for work before the holiday runs out.

Why not just buy an excellently used bicycle, from gumtree ............

£50/£80 would get you a bicycle, that your village people would envy ............ cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 3:14am On Dec 25, 2022
SamAfrik:
Good day all,
Please guidance to opening an account (Monzo or Starling bank) in the UK for student and dependant is needed. What documents are required to complete the process? I do not have proof of residence (arrived less than a week), as I am living with a relative.
Thanks.
If you don't have proof of residence ,monzo is your best bet .
You can use my referral link to apply for your monzo acct. and both of us will earn extra £5 each .
https://join.monzo.com/c/24pgxrw.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 3:18am On Dec 25, 2022
excelchips:
Search for "DVSA official test kit" on your playstore .

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 8:03am On Dec 25, 2022
Where I will be using to is not so close and I might collapse if I have to do that almost six days in a week. From N.Greenwich to central London and Sometimes to Dartford. An electric bike will be easy for me oo
Lexusgs430:

Why not just buy an excellently used bicycle, from gumtree ............

£50/£80 would get you a bicycle, that your village people would envy ............ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 8:58am On Dec 25, 2022
Merry Christmas to everyone. May the joy of this season filled our home.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:42am On Dec 25, 2022
AgentXxx:

No its not public fund because you will be paying for it either weekly or monthly depending on how your salary/wages are paid.

If you take a bike worth ..e.g £400 or less you are likely to pay nothing as the money will come out of your salary sacrifice rather than from your net-pay.

The cycle to work scheme company will send you a purchase certificate to be taken to bike retailers, you can pick a bike, a lock, gloves etc all must come to a total of the amount on that purchase certificate

After one year you will be given some choices, either return the bike and everything that came with it or pay certain percentage and keep the bike. .

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 10:49am On Dec 25, 2022
Please does anyone know where I can swap naira for pounds or the new naira notes?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 11:15am On Dec 25, 2022
Thanks for this detailed explanation but why am I paying a percentage after one year if I have finished paying for the bike before then.
justwise:

No its not public fund because you will be paying for it either weekly or monthly depending on how your salary/wages are paid.

If you take a bike worth ..e.g £400 or less you are likely to pay nothing as the money will come out of your salary sacrifice rather than from your net-pay.

The cycle to work scheme company will send you a purchase certificate to be taken to bike retailers, you can pick a bike, a lock, gloves etc all must come to a total of the amount on that purchase certificate

After one year you will be given some choices, either return the bike and everything that came with it or pay certain percentage and keep the bike. .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 11:28am On Dec 25, 2022
AgentXxx:
Thanks for this detailed explanation but why am I paying a percentage after one year if I have finished paying for the bike before then.

Honestly I got no idea, you can return the bike in good condition as well if you don't want to pay to keep it
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamAfrik(m): 12:33pm On Dec 25, 2022
jum33:

You can use my referral link to apply for your monzo acct. and both of us will earn extra £5 each .

I appreciate this info. Merry Christmas to you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamAfrik(m): 12:53pm On Dec 25, 2022
jum33:

The link appears faulty

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 2:09pm On Dec 25, 2022
dustydee:
Please does anyone know where I can swap naira for pounds or the new naira notes?

Best thing is to find someone going to Nigeria and give them the money to swap for you. That’s what I did with my remaining Naira notes.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 2:29pm On Dec 25, 2022
Huh!

I still get like N1,850 for this UK ooo. Guess I'll keep it for achieve purposes.

Up Meffy grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SapphireFort(f): 2:37pm On Dec 25, 2022
dustydee:
I heard you can change naira notes at some African stores.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 3:16pm On Dec 25, 2022
SamAfrik:

The link appears faulty

Do you want to try this?
https://join.monzo.com/c/kj205rr
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 3:17pm On Dec 25, 2022
Hello,

Does anyone have a link to a good 3bedroom apartment for rent in Liverpool. Good location and EPC rating please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by midey93(f): 5:30pm On Dec 25, 2022
Merry Christmas house. I am new on this platform. I just got my UK student visa, but intend travelling in January. I understand I am restricted to 20hrs work weekly. Please how do I get job within the 20hrs limit. I am experienced in embedded systems, which is also related to my MSc course, and also experienced with python in data science. I have been applying already on LinkedIn, all I have been getting is rejection mail, or that they arent accepting applications outside EU(even after changing my location on LinkedIn to UK). I also indicated on my CV that I am starting my MSc program Jan 2023. I don't know if I should remove that information. I am also good with automotive repairs.
Please I need advice on the strategy I should adopt in my search for employment.

(1) (2) (3) ... (774) (775) (776) (777) (778) (779) (780) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.