Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (886) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179435 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (883) (884) (885) (886) (887) (888) (889) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adunnishugar(f): 11:07am On Mar 17, 2023
Please I will appreciate any advice on this πŸ™πŸ½
I want to know whether to dispute the notice period or just accept it. Bearing in mind that I won’t be able to switch jobs within that 5 years with that long notice period

Adunnishugar:
Hello house,
(long read, please bear with me)

I need some advice on this pls.
I just switched to a skilled worker visa as a support worker.
It took quite a lot of consideration before deciding to take the sponsorship offer because I did not want to take the 5 year gap from my desired career (Human Resources).
I later decided to take up the job with the hope that I will keep searching for my desired job and switch sponsors if I am successful.
So few weeks ago my new BRP arrived and now I have been sent the employment contract to sign.
The problem now is that the contract has a 6 months notice period. The funniest part is that during my 6 months probation I still have to give 6 months notice while they can dismiss me with one week notice during this probation period.
I have searched online and there is no maximum notice period required from an employer. But reasonable notice periods should be between 1-3 months. Longer notice periods should have justified reasons (which they don’t have)

I’m an worried that I would not be able to secure another job with this notice period and I am also concerned about whether there will be any consequences if I try to dispute this factor (consequences such as them withdrawing sponsorship).

Please I would appreciate any advice I can get on thisπŸ™πŸ½
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:28am On Mar 17, 2023
Adunnishugar:
Please I will appreciate any advice on this πŸ™πŸ½
I want to know whether to dispute the notice period or just accept it. Bearing in mind that I won’t be able to switch jobs within that 5 years with that long notice period

That notice period is too long but I understand why they did that. If you find another job, you can make them dismiss you. That way you don't have to wait for 6 months. grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:31am On Mar 17, 2023
dustydee:

That notice period is too long but I understand why they did that. If you find another job, you can make them dismiss you. That way you don't have to wait for 6 months. grin

Sense no go kill you ........🀣😜

If they refuse to dismiss nko ........πŸ˜‚

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:37am On Mar 17, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Sense no go kill you ........🀣😜

If they refuse to dismiss nko ........πŸ˜‚
Torment them. Max out your sick leave. Really underperform. Tell them you have mental health issues.

edit: Where do you get these emoji's from? Mine is still green. cry

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 11:43am On Mar 17, 2023
Lexusgs430:

So you don't want to change your address, because you want to preserve your credit score ........

Our credit score would always swing, just ensure you're always in positive standing (don't miss a payment + avoid unnecessary/excessive credit applications)........

I never said that

And I don't have a CC
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 11:45am On Mar 17, 2023
Omotaday:
Receiving 9k from an entity he doesn’t know is more risky, might be from a hacked account or drug transaction. Selling his USDT to coinbase and withdrawing looks more legit.

Boss, please I sent you a message. Kindly check. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SPDAZZY(f): 11:52am On Mar 17, 2023
2 bed 2 bath Accommodation available from 10th April next month in Morley, Leeds.

Rent is 750pm, deposit is 865. EPC B

House is just beside the Morley train station and close to town centre and various amenities.
Has great security system too, electric gate et al. DM for more info

View https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/125376860#/?channel=RES_LET

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hkana: 12:31pm On Mar 17, 2023
I haven't seen Amarathriple0 recently. I hope she's good.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 12:58pm On Mar 17, 2023
deept:

Don't worry about credit scores, just live your life. Growth comes with time.

It's like the parable of talents, they have given you 537 score now, what have you done with it? To whom some it is given, some is expected. You want to grow; take more credit, buy that 55in TV on credit, pick up a new car on finance, etc but make sure you can pay back and your credit will grow. Las lad with what you have done the credit agency has put you on your level.
Like they say be responsible with credit

Picking up a tv on credit is the issue
How do I do that when credit score is low
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maureen4sure: 12:59pm On Mar 17, 2023
Thank you for your suggestions and advice. @Contra5, I have since emailed the vice chancellor regarding my situation.

Before coming to this forum to ask for suggestions and contributions, please don't always think people have not done their best and look for every available option.

My school is Edinburgh Napier University, and yes, students can retake a module twice within a three-month grace period.

I will like to let everyone know that I am not the only person having this issue; in fact, I have three other Nigerian coursemates with the same issue.

Two of them have since abandoned school and moved to England on COS when the issue could not be resolved last trimester. My course is a 16-month course.

My school is notorious for locking your school app if you fail your school fee repayment plan; even if you miss just one month, your school app will be locked Until they receive your payment.

I'm sure there are a lot of Napier students here on Nairaland that can testify to that.

So imagine a scenario where your payment was delayed by Form A for 3 months before the school received your payments, and within these 3 months you were given the option for resit/re-assesment for a failed module.

The school finance team is very much aware of the situation of Form A in Nigeria; they just don't care. In fact, you get reported to the UKVI in the second month of your failed repayment plan.

A lot of Nigerian students here in the UK are going through a lot: some accommodation challenges, some financial challenges ( not getting a job), and some academic challenges.

Many people, including myself, had no idea what challenges awaited us until we arrived.

We need to do a lot to support each other, particularly in this forum, when it comes to contributions, advice, and suggestions. Everything should not be all about IPTV and the Amex card of your popular dokita @Lexusgs430.

Yes, I made mention of @Lexusgs430 because he has been in this country for over 20 years, he has seen it all, and he needs to do a lot more.

Thank you for your time.

Peace.

Contra5:
Hi Maureen, a lot of things don't add up here. Which university do you attend? Students have rights! It doesn't matter whether you are international or local.

You need to search your uni's policies and regulations regarding resit. You don't start fighting with emotions but written rules. First off, was the finance team informed of your pending form A? Most uni just need to be aware of what's happening - they wouldn't shut your account unnecessarily.

I find it hard to believe that you will asked to submit a dissertation for PgDip! I think you can still change the situation If your visa won't expire until October. Usually Students can resit a module twice depending on the school's policy.

Check the policies, if its different from what this unhepful module leader has said - craft a letter to your VC, head of department quoting the policies and add all comms to the Nigerian bank that delayed your form A, tell them you are more than happy to write the exam within an hour If given the chance and at the end sprinkle all the emotional turmoil it has caused. Let them know, not getting that full degree is a big fail to your kids and family.

Lastly, go on Twitter and copy the school handle with all the proofs if that didn't work out and you know this is truly not your fault (sorry its difficult to see it from your post). All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nattysmiles(m): 1:02pm On Mar 17, 2023
Please who is coming to England very soon?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adunnishugar(f): 1:07pm On Mar 17, 2023
dustydee:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…
Thank you, I thought about this
In fact that is my plan
I’m only worried about not getting a good reference.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hayesconcept(m): 1:22pm On Mar 17, 2023
Wise man. You be sodikiπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
dustydee:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 1:41pm On Mar 17, 2023
Maureen4sure:

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. @Contra5, I have since emailed the vice chancellor regarding my situation.

Before coming to this forum to ask for suggestions and contributions, please don't always think people have not done their best and look for every available option.

My school is Edinburgh Napier University, and yes, students can retake a module twice within a three-month grace period.

I will like to let everyone know that I am not the only person having this issue; in fact, I have three other Nigerian coursemates with the same issue.

Two of them have since abandoned school and moved to England on COS when the issue could not be resolved last trimester. My course is a 16-month course.

My school is notorious for locking your school app if you fail your school fee repayment plan; even if you miss just one month, your school app will be locked Until they receive your payment.

I'm sure there are a lot of Napier students here on Nairaland that can testify to that.

So imagine a scenario where your payment was delayed by Form A for 3 months before the school received your payments, and within these 3 months you were given the option for resit/re-assesment for a failed module.

The school finance team is very much aware of the situation of Form A in Nigeria; they just don't care. In fact, you get reported to the UKVI in the second month of your failed repayment plan.

A lot of Nigerian students here in the UK are going through a lot: some accommodation challenges, some financial challenges ( not getting a job), and some academic challenges.

Many people, including myself, had no idea what challenges awaited us until we arrived.

We need to do a lot to support each other, particularly in this forum, when it comes to contributions, advice, and suggestions. Everything should not be all about IPTV and the Amex card of your popular dokita @Lexusgs430.

Yes, I made mention of @Lexusgs430 because he has been in this country for over 20 years, he has seen it all, and he needs to do a lot more.

Thank you for your time.

Peace.

Please calm down. @Lexusgs430 has contributed a lot just like others here. The topics here are not exhaustive.
We all know that Nigeria is facing FX issues and there are delays in processing requests so that should have been a risk factor considered by intending students who plan to use the service.
I can't remember seeing you here asking for advise when you got the resit notice, perhaps someone would have helped but I believe there's also other threads that is more tailored specifically to students.
Try your best to resolve the issue with the school and hopefully you get to resit the course(s).

I wish you the best.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 1:42pm On Mar 17, 2023
hayesconcept:
Wise man. You be sodikiπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Which one be that one again? cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 2:04pm On Mar 17, 2023
Maureen4sure:

Thank you for your time.

Peace.

I pray you find a way out as soon as possible. That said, I'll encourage students here to desist from using form A for installment payment because of the delay in processing of the form and other factors. Many choose to use form A not because they can't pay in pounds but because the want to gain more naira.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 2:14pm On Mar 17, 2023
Adunnishugar:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…
In fact that is my plan
I remember reading somewhere that it is illegal for them to give a bad reference. I think they just need to confirm your employment with them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 2:15pm On Mar 17, 2023
Adunnishugar:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…
In fact that is my plan

Be very wary of all the advice about underperforming and misbehaving to make them sack you.

Any disciplinary or performance issues will be on your record and most employers will mandate a reference from your last place of work.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 17, 2023
dustydee:

I remember reading somewhere that it is illegal for them to give a bad reference. I think they just need to confirm your employment with them.

Not true - https://www.gov.uk/work-reference

They are required to give a fair and accurate reference.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 2:32pm On Mar 17, 2023
For those that do cash-in-hand transactions, how do you save or invest the funds?

Two scenarios;

1. A seller collects cash and deposits it into their HSBC bank, will it get flagged (less than 5K)? Will the tax man look into the finances and bill the savings?

2. If some withdraws pounds from the ATM using a Nigerian USD card and then deposits the funds into their, will it be flagged and requested to be taxed?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 2:49pm On Mar 17, 2023
dustydee:

Sense will not kee you grin

I dated one girl that wanted me to break up, I refused, in my mind na she must breakup. She do tire, I didn't breakup. Shen then confessed to me that she cheated, I say she should not allow it happen again, she said she cannot assure me that it won't happen again that it's in her nature to cheat, I say OK I will continue to forgive her, na there she tire πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:52pm On Mar 17, 2023
Maureen4sure:

Thank you for your time.

Peace.

Miracles no go tire Jesus........β€οΈπŸ˜‚

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:53pm On Mar 17, 2023
pheranmie:

Picking up a tv on credit is the issue
How do I do that when credit score is low

PayPal pay in 3 Or Klarna may be helpful. Seems it's reported to credit agencies these days

wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 2:54pm On Mar 17, 2023
koonbey:

Not true - https://www.gov.uk/work-reference

They are required to give a fair and accurate reference.
Thanks. @ Adunnishugar please take note.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ConnectMee: 2:54pm On Mar 17, 2023
All I can read here is a bit of ITK.

This dude is not relying on you for finances neither is he soliciting your financial support.

The real question is begging to be answered.

If you don’t have a clue move on. Don’t project your false sympathy on others.

bigtt76:
Ok good. So being in the UK isn't all that needs to be considered here. Is the husband in a good employ?

1. I believe he's doing 20hrs currently but is it a steady shift that brings money to the table frequently or he's chasing after available shifts?

2. Can the wife work?

3. Who takes care of the 6 months old baby while the parents are working?

4. The older siblings that are teenagers, how old are they?

5. Being teenagers doesn't mean they can take care of the 6 months baby all by themselves πŸ€·πŸΏβ€β™€οΈ

6. Accommodation nko? Has he secured a good accommodation cheap enough but adequate to cater for the children taking into consideration their gender?

These and many more questions may need to be addressed.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:58pm On Mar 17, 2023
Maureen4sure:

Thank you for your time.

Peace.

Actually, Lexus or anyone else doesn't owe anyone, including me sh*t and doesn't have to do more

He can decide to log off forever if he wants to and he still won't owe you sh*t
People on this thread contribute out of the goodness of their hearts, so dead the entitlement

You're asking him to do more when he isn't being paid? Very funny person cheesy

Hopefully you get to resolve the issue at hand.

All the best smiley

18 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:01pm On Mar 17, 2023
koonbey:

Be very wary of all the advice about underperforming and misbehaving to make them sack you.

Any disciplinary or performance issues will be on your record and most employers will mandate a reference from your last place of work.

Will it affect the person's DBS or be on the person's record?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:08pm On Mar 17, 2023
dustydee:

Torment them. Max out your sick leave. Really underperform. Tell them you have mental health issues.

edit: Where do you get these emoji's from? Mine is still green. cry

From your keyboard.....🀣😜🀠
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 3:41pm On Mar 17, 2023
πŸ€·πŸΏβ€β™€οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

hustla:

Even UKVI no vex rish this one grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SPDAZZY(f): 3:42pm On Mar 17, 2023
babajeje123:

I pray you find a way out as soon as possible. That said, I'll encourage students here to desist from using form A for installment payment because of the delay in processing of the form and other factors. Many choose to use form A not because they can't pay in pounds but because the want to gain more naira.

I think this makes it look like majority are greedy. In my opinion, I think the students are just trying to make good use of the circumstances. We all know how expensive the student route is and the Nigerian government made it more difficult by this exchange rate issue.

If one can spend less in the very expensive fee situation, why not? If the pounds in hand isn't complete and by using form A, a student is able to pay more or all of the fees, why not? After all, the elites are making huge profits from the unfortunate situation.

The only thing is to start on time given the delay.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (883) (884) (885) (886) (887) (888) (889) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.