Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,981 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (969) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1174801 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (966) (967) (968) (969) (970) (971) (972) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by milkytins(m): 10:18am On May 01, 2023
Hi everyone,
I need your advice. I renewed my international passport in London, and the collection date on the slip is April 28, 2023, but I have not received the passport. I need to travel next month for an important event outside the UK for which I have paid the full money, and I need a passport to travel. I have less than two weeks to submit my visa application for the event.

Please, is there anything I can do to get the passport as soon as possible?

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by cigie(m): 10:54am On May 01, 2023
I need help.

I'm barely 2months in the UK and I've not been successful with CC application. I've only tried America. Express though. They didn't say why I was declined.

Any advice?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 11:00am On May 01, 2023
ukay2:

I used Theory Test Pro app about 2 years ago and it was helpful

Thanks bro
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Newbie123: 11:01am On May 01, 2023
semmyk:

We attempt collating this on page 966. [PS: I've slightly updated this morning]

driving test success' theory 4 in 1, "DVSA official test kit", Yellow Theory Test Pro

Thanks bro. Heading there now...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:54am On May 01, 2023
cigie:
I need help.

I'm barely 2months in the UK and I've not been successful with CC application. I've only tried America. Express though. They didn't say why I was declined.

Any advice?

Dig up numerous posts on building credit score.........

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:56pm On May 01, 2023
https://www.nairaland.com/7672416/nigerian-embassy-staff-sudan-extorted

For context on how various countries are handling evacuation from Sudan.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 1:55pm On May 01, 2023
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

6Β£ said you done cross the bridge? grin
You dey YouKay already...Dey play wink

What you said ought to be the way forward, but what U're saying is tantamount to shutting the door behind you...Dont

It's not wrong to report such extortion.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 2:44pm On May 01, 2023
cigie:
I need help.

Any advice?

Are you on the electoral roll? You also need to pay some bills by direct debit etc. if I were you, I would give it a good six months before reapplying.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 3:34pm On May 01, 2023
Temi231:

I do not want to reply to this before but I believe some people make their decision depending on what they read online. I will appreciate it if you can quote any company in Nigeria that pays the equivalent of 48 million naira for a Manager in Nigeria. The one I worked for before in Nigeria is one of the highest-paid institutions in Nigeria and I can say with my full chest that a Deputy director does not even earn 52 million or 48 million yearly talk less than 40 million.

Unless you want to run things with paper company or being corrupt that the only way you can make exorbitant money in Nigeria.

Migration is as old as the world itself. People move around the world for various reasons. It might be hard to understand but people are and would continue to move from the developed world back to Nigeria, while people in Nigeria can wait to jakpa. Each to their own, its what makes the world go round. Everybody go dey alright last last.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 3:51pm On May 01, 2023
justwise:

I think I remember the guy, he is a professor I think. I doubt he still believes in investing in Nigeria

Hahaha grin...he fit done change name, dey pressure his wife to try secure CoS at all cost. That's if he's not yet in the YouKay.🀣

The only biz in Nigeria that can fetch someone cool money, but will be difficult while starting is Importation, Productions & Factory type services.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 4:55pm On May 01, 2023
Santa2:

People get paid that amount, my spouse and several people in our circle earned that and above.

Okay then.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 5:40pm On May 01, 2023
You are currently invisible to all lenders and some financial institutions cheesy ...I'm not a financial analyst or adviser but this below are what helped me. I got my CC two weeks on arrival

Question
a. Is your rent paid by bank transfer directly to the landlord's account? If yes, try setting up a standing order to execute same time every month
b. How is your council tax or utility bills paid? Do you have Direct Debit set up on your account to debit it every month? Direct debits are reported to credit bureaus
c. Look for Contract-SIM from any of the mobile networks (I use Virgin mobile) and port your current line to them, use direct debit to pay for this monthly. To call home you can use cheap call cards available in Tescos or ASDA etc
d. Have you been registered to be on the UK electoral roll?

Try the following

1. Try and open an online bank account like Monese that report to credit bureau your transactions (sign up with my referral Join Monese and get up to Β£10 once you start spending! Just enter my invite code when you sign up: TEMIT966 Download the app here: https://www.mone.se/7vQs/15nzw5kg). NOTE - you can try any other as far as they report your transactions

2. Create a standing order for your monthly rent and other utility bills and use the following to report your rent payment to report the rent payment to credit agencies.
2a. credit ladder sign up using my referral https://www.creditladder.co.uk/join/4kN2nMj0DmjpABDL),
2b. loqbox (sign up using my link https://www.loqbox.com/en_gb/loqbox-invite?referral_code=SZJ9DXFXHX&referral_channel=link)
3. Try not to open too many bank accounts (are your accounts online banks or conventional banks) or close any already opened
4. You should sign up to Experian (or Totally Money) credit score platform and they have a 30 days trial with which you can use to guide and boost your scores

You can report previous payment as currently is if you make the transfer same time monthly. The apps would pick it up from your bank account.

Once again - I'm not a financial analyst or adviser so do your due dilligence before you sign up to any of the platforms I listed above wink

cigie:
I need help.

Any advice?

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by heroshark(m): 6:26pm On May 01, 2023
Please for those that have attended schengen visa appointment, how did you go about getting flight itinerary? I have an appointment on Friday and still struggling to get one.

Do you know any airline that make reservations without payment?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Evagreenfields: 7:30pm On May 01, 2023
Passport renewal - 142 USD
Postal order - 20 GBP
Royal mail delivery - 6.85 GBP

hustla:

Thanks boss!

What's the total cost?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:49pm On May 01, 2023
Evagreenfields:
Passport renewal - 142 USD
Postal order - 20 GBP
Royal mail delivery - 6.85 GBP

Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 9:01pm On May 01, 2023
Lexusgs430:

3rd party is still a fully fledged insurance policy nah...

Makes me wonder, why you would cover another and refuse to cover yourself.........🀣😜

Because you're covered by the blood of Jesus
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:26pm On May 01, 2023
CowbellY:

Because you're covered by the blood of Jesus

Fictional Fictitious Fallacy..........πŸ˜‚πŸ˜œ

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 2:08am On May 02, 2023
tshoboy:

Paki is a racist/derogatory word. Avoid using it!
Sorry sir
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by beecrofty(m): 5:59am On May 02, 2023
bigtt76:
You are currently invisible to all lenders and some financial institutions cheesy ...I'm not a financial analyst or adviser but this below are what helped me. I got my CC two weeks on arrival

Question
a. Is your rent paid by bank transfer directly to the landlord's account? If yes, try setting up a standing order to execute same time every month
b. How is your council tax or utility bills paid? Do you have Direct Debit set up on your account to debit it every month? Direct debits are reported to credit bureaus
c. Look for Contract-SIM from any of the mobile networks (I use Virgin mobile) and port your current line to them, use direct debit to pay for this monthly. To call home you can use cheap call cards available in Tescos or ASDA etc
d. Have you been registered to be on the UK electoral roll?

Try the following

1. Try and open an online bank account like Monese that report to credit bureau your transactions (sign up with my referral Join Monese and get up to Β£10 once you start spending! Just enter my invite code when you sign up: TEMIT966 Download the app here: https://www.mone.se/7vQs/15nzw5kg). NOTE - you can try any other as far as they report your transactions

2. Create a standing order for your monthly rent and other utility bills and use the following to report your rent payment to report the rent payment to credit agencies.
2a. credit ladder sign up using my referral https://www.creditladder.co.uk/join/4kN2nMj0DmjpABDL),
2b. loqbox (sign up using my link https://www.loqbox.com/en_gb/loqbox-invite?referral_code=SZJ9DXFXHX&referral_channel=link)
3. Try not to open too many bank accounts (are your accounts online banks or conventional banks) or close any already opened
4. You should sign up to Experian (or Totally Money) credit score platform and they have a 30 days trial with which you can use to guide and boost your scores

Forgive my inquisitive and cnfused mind but HOW did you do all these within two weeks of arrival?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 7:00am On May 02, 2023
I started preparing for this long before I filled out my first application to the university. I followed every thread relating to studying and living in the UK, discussions online relating to how to survive as a student and transition from being one.

On arrival in the UK I needed a bank card to kickstart my activities, my first was Monese and they delivered within 4 days. Next I opened Revolut cos it was a popular option and they too delivered within same period. Monzo had bounced me because of this credit score check and Starling bank stalled (funny enough conventional banks also check when trying to open an account with them). I got all my cards where I was temporarily staying.

During the same period, I enrolled to vote, applied for my provisional driving license (required as proof of address in place of utility bills). Next I applied for my NI and started life. I also opened a conventional bank account during this period.

I stumbled on the AMEX card referral link here and applied, it kept bouncing and requesting for my documents (BRP, Passport and liveliness check). Then one day I got a call and boom it was approved and I got my card delivered.

Along the line I also got bounced by several landlords on the pretence that I don't have credit history and that was when I got the ginger to start Loqbox. I finally secured my student accommodation and contract SIM card which I placed on direct debit and standing order. Then I applied to start reporting my rent using Credit Ladder and Loqbox.

I gained a lot of insight from this thread and the other one for students. I remain grateful to all here and my advise to those new and those thinking of making the move over here to hit road with their financial planning immediately on arrival, no waste time be intentional about your plans. I know a lot of my mates here (and those who came here before me) that haven't registered to be on electoral roll, applied for a provisional license and or start building their credit history because they don't know the process or never thought of it or afraid of anything credit. πŸ˜‚

Just to add, when I moved I also applied to change my addresses on the drivers license and my bank accounts. It was seamless. I used Royal Mail to redirect my mails from where I previously lived to my new place.

Shalom... Don't forget to use my referral links so I get small bonus 😘😘😘

beecrofty:

Forgive my inquisitive and cnfused mind but HOW did you do all these within two weeks of arrival?

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 7:55am On May 02, 2023
BorisJohnson:
On Building Credit in the UK

A fundamental mistake I have seen a lot of folks here make is the assumption that a Credit Card is 'a must' to improve credit score.
I dare say this is not necessarily true. Whereas having a credit card is a 'plus' it is not the 'koko' thing.

People should note that there is something called: CREDIT FILE. This is more important than a credit card.
You can have a fantastic (impeccable) credit score - Excellent without a single credit CARD.

Things to do:
1. Get your name/records into the 'system'. Apply for a provisional driving license (even if you don't intend to drive). It is a fantastic means of identification.

2. Discard that Lebara or Lycamobile PAYG SIM which you have heard so much about. Get the cheapest SIM-Only contract (O2, Three, EE, Virgin, Vodafone etc...). These can be as cheap as Β£5 per month (with unlimited calls and SMS, and up to 3GB data).

3. If you are a Nigerian, you are qualified to vote in UK Elections. Register to vote.

4. It is a great idea to have at least 1 utility bill in your name (water or electricity or gas).

5. If you are so hard-pressed on getting a 'DEBT card' (aka ~Credit Card), do not despise the days of little beginnings. See if you can get a Store card. For example, my first 'credit' card was Argos store card. I went to buy Β£12 worth of hair clipper. They lady at the till suggested that I can buy now and pay later. with zero fees. That was how Argos gave me my first credit card - loaded with Β£200. As of today, I have a combined credit limit of Β£32,000 (across 4 cards).

Bottom line: Get your details into the system. So that when "credit checks" are performed during your credit card application, they will find your name, linked to an address.

@Cigie, I wrote this sometimes back.
You may find it useful.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by heroshark(m): 8:22am On May 02, 2023
heroshark:
Please for those that have attended schengen visa appointment, how did you go about getting flight itinerary? I have an appointment on Friday and still struggling to get one.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 9:34am On May 02, 2023
It doesn’t have to be flight if you are not ready to pay. Book train, they accept train booking as well.
heroshark:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by heroshark(m): 9:49am On May 02, 2023
AKALAMAGBO:
It doesn’t have to be flight if you are not ready to pay. Book train, they accept train booking as well.

Cam I make train reservations without paying?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by infofirst(m): 10:49am On May 02, 2023
Good day to all here. I will like to know any Schengen country with the earliest appointment for visit visa from the UK.
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kaybee7000(m): 10:59am On May 02, 2023
infofirst:
Good day to all here. I will like to know any Schengen country with the earliest appointment for visit visa from the UK.
Thank you

Boss hope it is not what am thinking ? Let endure till may bro, everything go soon soft
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 11:00am On May 02, 2023
I mean it’s cheaper and you can always cancel it after you secure your visa with full refund, you will eventually travel after securing the visa anyways.
heroshark:

Cam I make train reservations without paying?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by infofirst(m): 11:05am On May 02, 2023
Kaybee7000:

Boss hope it is not what am thinking ? Let endure till may bro, everything go soon soft

Humm... Nothing really o. Only asking on behalf of someone sha.

Any recommendation
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:26am On May 02, 2023
heroshark:

I reached out to a travel agency in naija evem though the application was done in Canada who did a free airline reservation then after the visa submission it was cancelled. ...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 12:02pm On May 02, 2023
Kaybee7000:

What is this grin

If Europe don soft pass UK make una give us update o

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by beecrofty(m): 12:17pm On May 02, 2023
bigtt76:
I started preparing for this long before I filled out my first application to the university. I followed every thread relating to studying and living in the UK, discussions online relating to how to survive as a student and transition from being one.

On arrival in the UK I needed a bank card to kickstart my activities, my first was Monese and they delivered within 4 days. Next I opened Revolut cos it was a popular option and they too delivered within same period. Monzo had bounced me because of this credit score check and Starling bank stalled (funny enough conventional banks also check when trying to open an account with them). I got all my cards where I was temporarily staying.

During the same period, I enrolled to vote, applied for my provisional driving license (required as proof of address in place of utility bills). Next I applied for my NI and started life. I also opened a conventional bank account during this period.

I stumbled on the AMEX card referral link here and applied, it kept bouncing and requesting for my documents (BRP, Passport and liveliness check). Then one day I got a call and boom it was approved and I got my card delivered.

Along the line I also got bounced by several landlords on the pretence that I don't have credit history and that was when I got the ginger to start Loqbox. I finally secured my student accommodation and contract SIM card which I placed on direct debit and standing order. Then I applied to start reporting my rent using Credit Ladder and Loqbox.

I gained a lot of insight from this thread and the other one for students. I remain grateful to all here and my advise to those new and those thinking of making the move over here to hit road with their financial planning immediately on arrival, no waste time be intentional about your plans. I know a lot of my mates here (and those who came here before me) that haven't registered to be on electoral roll, applied for a provisional license and or start building their credit history because they don't know the process or never thought of it or afraid of anything credit. πŸ˜‚

Just to add, when I moved I also applied to change my addresses on the drivers license and my bank accounts. It was seamless. I used Royal Mail to redirect my mails from where I previously lived to my new place.

Shalom... Don't forget to use my referral links so I get small bonus 😘😘😘

Because you took the time to explain this and make it clear to me, I am going to use your referral. Let me save it now.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (966) (967) (968) (969) (970) (971) (972) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.