Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,523 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Linux Boot-problem - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Linux Boot-problem (1435 Views)

Dual Boot IOS 8 On Android ( NO ROOT) / Executive Boot Project Management Training (boot Camp). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Linux Boot-problem by skima(m): 9:32pm On Feb 11, 2006
I just installed red hat linux 9. The installation went fine, but wen i tried to boot to linux i got this error msg. Kernel panic: attempted to kill init!

If u have encoutered this kind of error pls do tell how u solved it.

Thanx ppl
Re: Linux Boot-problem by oasis: 11:48pm On Feb 11, 2006
I once installed RHEL 4 and received a kernel panic. Kernel panic is serious. In my case, it turned out to be a hardware failure, I changed the graphics card, and it was fine.

RH 9 is too old. If possible, try fedora core 3. FC 4 is the latest, but I generally don't mess with latest versions until all the bugs have been worked out of it.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by Ynot(m): 1:31am On Feb 12, 2006
There is no definite reason for kernel panic messages. Its usually generated on a random hardware problem. You can try recompiling the kernel if you can but, just as the previous guy said, get rid of RH 9. Its too old now and i don't think Red Hat supports it anymore unless you have one of their enterprise server license.

I will recommend Ubuntu Linux. Its stable and now the most popular distro out there and the update method is excellent.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by oasis: 2:16am On Feb 12, 2006
I will recommend Ubuntu Linux. Its stable and now the most popular distro out there and the update method is excellent.

Ubuntu is more popular than fedora, debian, and suse? That's news to me.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by Ynot(m): 2:29am On Feb 12, 2006
Check the ranking @ distrowatch
Re: Linux Boot-problem by oasis: 2:53am On Feb 12, 2006
I see what you mean. I believe distrowatch is merely counting "Page Hits" on its site. It doesn't mean that people are actually installing it. But I could be wrong.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by Ynot(m): 3:23am On Feb 12, 2006
I think its more like the number of downloads per given time period. But even at that, downloading doesn't necessarily mean installing/using it.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by skima(m): 8:43pm On Feb 12, 2006
Wat do i do now? The guy that gave me the CD is about gettin fedora core. I dont think i can buy any of the cds from Cvillage.

any help.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by oasis: 9:43pm On Feb 12, 2006
I'm not sure how the Nigerian postal system is these days.  My experience has been that they steal everything that looks even remotely important.  Otherwise, I would burn you a dvd, or cdr of FC4 and send it to you.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by Seun(m): 3:59am On Feb 13, 2006
They are quite reliable these days, so please go ahead and send the Linux CD.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by oasis: 4:27am On Feb 13, 2006
In that case,  send me a private note with your address.

Let me know if you prefer dvd (1 disk) or cdr (4 disks).
Re: Linux Boot-problem by skima(m): 2:21pm On Feb 13, 2006
They are working fine this days, i always recieve books from abroad.
PM not workin,  this is my address., 

Name; shittu sheriff olalekan
sex ; male
phone; 2348027924441
email; skima4real2@yahoo.com
Re: Linux Boot-problem by oasis: 5:30pm On Feb 13, 2006
I'm going to the post office wednesday. I'll put that in the mail for you too.

You never mentioned if you prefer dvd or cdr. Left to me, I'd send a dvd since it's only a single disk.

You should edit your last msg to remove the address.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by skima(m): 8:21pm On Feb 13, 2006
Dvd will be good since its one. as long as its bootable.

Ill be expecting it.

Am very very very greatful!
Thanx Oasis.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by oasis: 9:02pm On Feb 13, 2006
Yes, I'm downloading it now. It's coming down at a rate of 1.43MB/s. That is fast!

If there are any source (tar.gz), or rpm files you need that aren't included in the base install, let me know so I can put them on a separate disk. I'm not sure what versions of apache,mysql,php come with fc4. So, you may want updated versions. You definitely want to get away from mysql 3.x version.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by skima(m): 9:40pm On Feb 14, 2006
Well i think i should get it install and workin then ill see which upgrade ill need to make.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by oasis: 1:39am On Feb 16, 2006
Well, the DVD is in the mail. I hope it gets there. They said it should arrive in about a week.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by skima(m): 4:37pm On Feb 16, 2006
Thanx Oasis.

I hope it gets here, that means i shall be expecting it next week.
Re: Linux Boot-problem by judy4all: 5:33am On Nov 30, 2008
Well, Ubuntu is the #1 choice for home linux users, If you want something enterprise level and do not want to pay, try using Centos, its the free version of RHEL, i've used both in the past but Ubuntu does great on graphics, video, audio things, better than the other unix distributions ive tried in the past,

(1) (Reply)

Smpp Professional With Good Knowledge Of The Nigerian Market. / How To Insert Pictures Or Images In Textedit (webdesign) / FREE WEB HOSTING: This One Is Amazing, No Limits No Suspension, No Downtime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.