Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,483 members, 7,854,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 10:41 AM

I'm Getting Worried 'sir' 'sir' 'sir' Everywhere - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I'm Getting Worried 'sir' 'sir' 'sir' Everywhere (665 Views)

Sir Chikwe Udensi Loses Father / 1562 ���a Slave Ship Called 'jesus' Of Lübeck.. Sir John Hawkins / Yoruba Entrance Greeting And Wrong Insertion Of Sir (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Getting Worried 'sir' 'sir' 'sir' Everywhere by domwas2(m): 2:44pm On Sep 03, 2021
I'm a gentle guy, introvert, I greet people alot
With my humble self I hate titles, I just clicked my 40s, with small stature, everything is normal.
Until lately I noticed people adding 'Sir' after every greeting and conversation. To be sincere I hate this and I am beginning to worry if I'm old or something.

I hate to feel this way.
Re: I'm Getting Worried 'sir' 'sir' 'sir' Everywhere by FreeStuffsNG: 2:52pm On Sep 03, 2021
40 is not small. If you are being held in esteem by others, it is a good thing, match it with right self esteem , candor and don't get corky. My approach is to reply in sir/ma or preempt them by addressing them with courtesy even before they respond with a sir.

It's not a big deal. In the Yoruba culture, you are even addressed in plural terms once you get to your kind of age because it is believed that you have covered some major milestones in life.

For me, nothing beats humility , graceful words with authority and good self esteem.

3 Likes

Re: I'm Getting Worried 'sir' 'sir' 'sir' Everywhere by Enoch07: 3:14pm On Sep 03, 2021
OP e be like say you get small money or you never marry so people they assume say you don dey old so them dey try respect you. Anyways good for you, just continue to respect yourself especially with the female folks or your matter dey social media like 2baba

1 Like

Re: I'm Getting Worried 'sir' 'sir' 'sir' Everywhere by emorse(m): 3:24pm On Sep 03, 2021
Sir wey some people dey find. Lol

1 Like

Re: I'm Getting Worried 'sir' 'sir' 'sir' Everywhere by Imustnottalk: 4:00pm On Sep 03, 2021
40 no be small age oo

1 Like

Re: I'm Getting Worried 'sir' 'sir' 'sir' Everywhere by illicit(m): 6:39pm On Sep 03, 2021
It's good nah

1 Like

Re: I'm Getting Worried 'sir' 'sir' 'sir' Everywhere by domwas2(m): 11:47pm On Sep 03, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:
40 is not small. If you are being held in esteem by others, it is a good thing, match it with right self esteem , candor and don't get corky. My approach is to reply in sir/ma or preempt them by addressing them with courtesy even before they respond with a sir.

It's not a big deal. In the Yoruba culture, you are even addressed in plural terms once you get to your kind of age because it is believed that you have covered some major milestones in life.

For me, nothing beats humility , graceful words with authority and good self esteem.
Thank You, makes lots of sense.

1 Like

Re: I'm Getting Worried 'sir' 'sir' 'sir' Everywhere by Nobody: 10:53am On Sep 04, 2021
I don't understand the need for these titles. It's old fashioned and awkward. I would tell someone to call me by my name unless I am a teacher or in a position which requires such titles.

I met a guy who demanded I call him doctor so and so rather than his name and I felt so sorry for him. What level of low self esteem is that, that he would derive his self esteem from a title. He wasn't my doctor, I stopped calling him, full stop.
Re: I'm Getting Worried 'sir' 'sir' 'sir' Everywhere by domwas2(m): 9:14pm On Sep 04, 2021
Kanbe:
I don't understand the need for these titles. It's old fashioned and awkward. I would tell someone to call me by my name unless I am a teacher or in a position which requires such titles.

I met a guy who demanded I call him doctor so and so rather than his name and I felt so sorry for him. What level of low self esteem is that, that he would derive his self esteem from a title. He wasn't my doctor, I stopped calling him, full stop.
I think we are different in nature, I will feel comfortable you call me by name, maybe it's because of the environment I grew up. Ordinary the "Mr" so so self dey do me some how.

(1) (Reply)

Why The Ogbachni Cult Should Be Reformed / Why Flashers? / Faux Naija!!! (do We Enjoy Being Fake?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.