Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,047 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? (39164 Views)

Finally, I Killed This Bush meat Last Night. / Why Eating The Meat Last? / Eating Meat Last Or First In Meals, How Do I Train My Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:18pm On Sep 10, 2021
seyz91:
Quantity very plenty and Animal is Gorilla grin

Lol... try eating a gorilla in some countries and you may get arrested
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by einsteine(m): 7:19pm On Sep 10, 2021
nick50:
It's not a rule but a fact...the meat serves as an apertiser..if u eat d meat first u can't be able to finish d food that's why our parents thought us to to eat d meat last

Are you sure you know the meaning of appetizer? Appetizer is eaten first. Maybe you meant dessert
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:19pm On Sep 10, 2021
omoadeleye:

Well, i don't do that here, meet first before any other thing.

How do you now enjoy the food
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:20pm On Sep 10, 2021
observanc1:
i went to south korea recently and our host took us with his daughter to a correct joint. And they brought meat, meat after meat, grilled tasty all. When we were full and done, we thanked them. They say that the meal was coming. And they brought Rice and sauce. I told them 'noo, in Nigeria, we eat rice before the meat' and they replied 'oh, in south korea we eat meat before the rice'
I was like, these people are very mad. Rice without meat? Is it ever done?

lol... my thoughts exactly
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:21pm On Sep 10, 2021
LegendaryArnold:

for me na slave mentality... i dey pack meat fish egg ponmo on top my food... every spoon must contain a piece of protein

Only you.... You sabi enjoy o

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:21pm On Sep 10, 2021
chegbe1104:

It's because the real purpose for eating is hunger. Therefore if that is the case, you want to fill your stomach first with food before you think of meat which is just a sweetner.

Hmmm... that's another angle
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:22pm On Sep 10, 2021
Realmi:
why did u eat ur meat last

It's just something i'm used to...
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by SirMichael1: 7:23pm On Sep 10, 2021
omakay:
A very wrong form of training that has being passed on from generation to generation and no one bothers to question these tenets.

Parents train children to see meat as gold. Why the children no go dey steal meat from pot!!!!

Funny enough, it is the same meat that is being sold as suya outside for very cheap amounts.

This present generation needs to do away with some nonsense if not our children go judge us to our face.

N.B : Children are getting very smart now thanks to Western education and they can see through all our mistakes.

So are we to live by the standard of the west? Don't they make mistake as well? Don't they have fetish or superstitions? Stop bringing down your race abeg.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:23pm On Sep 10, 2021
oyejideogunjumo:

The only reason told me is that if you eat your meat first and a visitor comes in, he may not ask you but will have a negative impression that you don't have meat on your food.
This has started long ago especially in the village where people can just berg in unannounced.
I deliberately ask

lol
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Damscodammy1(m): 7:23pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

dis ur nick.is lik i knw u.are segun?
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Aboguede(m): 7:24pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

What quantity? And what animal?

Monkey

Plenty quantity shocked
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:24pm On Sep 10, 2021
mfm04622:

In my house, when I was young, meat is a reward for finishing your food. That is how I formed the habit of eating my meat last

i think that's the mentality most Nigerians have... They see the meat as their reward..
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 7:24pm On Sep 10, 2021
Kimjongun:

And what do you weigh?

It doesn't affect my weight
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by NewDelhi(m): 7:25pm On Sep 10, 2021
habsydiamond:
When u eat the meat first, the dignity of the food has disappeared... Atimes this may even quench ur hunger... Speaking from experience on this one.. I no even understand Wetin I type sef.. Can someone help me
You're right. It's all psychology. There's always this drive and eagerness to finish the food when the meat is still there . The moment you make the mistake of eating the meat first, the drive and hunger to finish the food is gone.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 7:25pm On Sep 10, 2021
Akell:

You're gradually killing yourself.

We all die
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 7:25pm On Sep 10, 2021
Lilpen3758:
Tah you way broke die where you see money for just meat..... grin grin

Lol how much is meat
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:25pm On Sep 10, 2021
Aboguede:

Monkey

Plenty quantity shocked

where you see monkey meat buy?
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 7:26pm On Sep 10, 2021
olaolaking:
You will think you are enjoying

I am enjoying o

I spice it and I wash it down with Trophy lager
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:26pm On Sep 10, 2021
Damscodammy1:

dis ur nick.is lik i knw u.are segun?

Lol... no be only segun
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Pootle: 7:27pm On Sep 10, 2021
the meat/fish serve as a moral buster to continue food
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Damscodammy1(m): 7:28pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Lol... no be only segun
oh sorry.i knw 1 egbon ni.was usin same nick with u.he ws religious.goin thru ur post e dy similar.
nor vex
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Greenishland(f): 7:29pm On Sep 10, 2021
I think this is the reason. If you allow children to eat meat before food, they won't eat the food again so, our mothers encouraged us to eat food before meat and when we grow up, we end up believing that it's part of good home training to finish eating before eating meat.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by bluefilm: 7:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
[s]Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.I noticed that my father, mother, brothers all follow this rule.I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.My question is, why is that so?Why is it that most Nigerians follow this unwritten rule?[/s]

Guy, you no get handwork, aswear. lipsrsealed

What nonsense angry
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by akinsto4ever(m): 7:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
The meat is seen as a reward for consuming the food, therefore eating the meat before finishing food is like getting reward before completing the task
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Maxwell4404(m): 7:32pm On Sep 10, 2021
You guys are poor that's the reason why
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 10, 2021
omakay:
A very wrong form of training that has being passed on from generation to generation and no one bothers to question these tenets.

Parents train children to see meat as gold. Why the children no go dey steal meat from pot!!!!

Funny enough, it is the same meat that is being sold as suya outside for very cheap amounts.

This present generation needs to do away with some nonsense if not our children go judge us to our face.

N.B : Children are getting very smart now thanks to Western education and they can see through all our mistakes.

All these woke pple sef grin

How does eating the meat last wrong?
What makes eating meat first right?
What makes eating meat in between right?

What makes the western way of eating right?
Why will future generations judge us because of the way we eat meat?

That is how we’re gradually throwing our culture and lifestyle out the window because of “wokeness”.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by omoadeleye(m): 7:37pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

How do you now enjoy the food

Lolz, I'm hungry and just wanna eat everything.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Akharmony: 7:37pm On Sep 10, 2021
cos thm see meat has big deal. Now i eat one spoon of rice with meat alongside��. Slave masters do African too much something
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Wealthyking94(m): 7:37pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I noticed that my father, mother, brothers all follow this rule.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

My question is, why is that so?

Why is it that most Nigerians follow this unwritten rule?
I think the idea of this unwritten rule came about because of the perceived need to disciple children on certian virtues like management of resource, patience and gratitude. Most people see food without meat as an incomplete meal. Back then when things were tough and we were younger, having a meal in your food is a big deal. So we like to enjoy the meat after meal because we don't get it often and it's mostly limited(sometimes you share 1 with your siblings) when we do. But now I eat the meat in the food anytime I feel like,irrespective of the quantity.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Sagefromtheeast: 7:39pm On Sep 10, 2021
Gwan2:
Bro, let me tell you something

A friend of mine told me when he came abroad, while most immigrants goal was/is to scout for jobs to make money..first thing he did was to register himself with a psychotherapist for a year to unlearn and relearn a lot of thing he inherited in naija before integrating himself into the country’s lifestyle.

Bro, we inherited a lot of vices that are inherent in us and needs to be cleared off our minds. The typical African or naija person is greedy, envious, malicious, wicked, corrupt, dishonest etc. Feel the air surrounding the country, it depicts the people’s personalities. I deviated from the topic because it is a subset of this.
My friend I beg to differ.
Your friend probably already had psychological issues before he travelled
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by saxxyb: 7:40pm On Sep 10, 2021
To save the best for the last
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Babastrong(m): 7:40pm On Sep 10, 2021
That is what you are used to. Your rule doesn't apply to everybody.
me, the 1-3 spoons of rice must be follow by meat, then food- meat-food-meat. This is my own pattern. Even sometimes if the meat plenty. Meat comes my mouth before food.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Bleach Palm Oil Safely Without Causing Air Pollution (Photos, Video) / Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup / Enugu Amala Hangout Causes Controversy On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.