Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,705 members, 7,820,461 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule (8856 Views)

Back To School: Readjusting To ‘normal’ Sleep Schedule / Does The Vagina Revert Back To Normal? / I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Y4all: 3:28pm On Sep 10, 2021
This is the season in which children are meant to go back to school.  As kids return back to school after the long holiday, they are expected to feel a certain sense of stress, discomfort and emotional turmoil of re-engaging with the educational system. Apparently, this would affect their sleep schedule as they have to struggle with readjusting to a normal sleep schedule: early to bed, early to rise schedule.”  Interestingly, parents also feel back-to-school stress and anxiety.

A survey by One Poll, reported in the New York Post, found that 60% of parents are so stressed about the back-to-school season they lose sleep. Of the 2,000 parents of kids ages 5-18, 57% said it is the most stressful time of the year for them. Doctors say adequate sleep is important especially for little ones who are spending a good portion of their time in the classroom. There are lots of risk factors associated with inadequate sleep for your children they include:

Lack of concentration in school

Poor academic performance

Unhealthy weight gain

Increase the risk of health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure

Poor memory retention etc.

This is why we have come up with healthy tips on how to help you and your kids readjust to a normal sleep schedule. They are:

Go back to the bedtime schedule

So, holidays are for fun, right? Most parents let their kids enjoy their holidays without ensuring adherence to bedtime routines. Hence, sleep and wake time goes unregulated. Viola! The holiday is over, so you would have to go ensure a stricter bedtime schedule.

Be flexible
As part of the process of readjusting to a healthy sleep schedule, we recommend you should be flexible. Introduce change gradually, and let it happen naturally at its own pace. Don’t stress if they are having a hard time readjusting, it is normal and expected. Also, do not expect a 100% adjustment to a normal sleep schedule especially in the first week of resumption. Expectedly, your kids' sleep patterns should improve within a month.  Again, avoid quick fixes such as introducing sleeping pills at night, they cause more harm than good.

Use the light in the morning

Due to the normal holiday lie-ins, your kid may find it difficult to readjust to normal wake-up time when they are back to school. You can help them readjust to the normal wake up time, expose them to the morning sun to soak up some rays as soon as they wake up. This will help reset their body internal clock.

Dim the light at night

Holidays are usually fun packed with late-night games, movies, video games and the likes that expose your child to blue light.  Exposure to blue light at night can trick your child into staying up later as usual even after the holidays. So, to help your kid fall asleep faster and wake up earlier, dim the light close to bedtime. Restrict access to television, phones and other sources of blue light. You may have to change the brighter bulb in their room to a dimmer one until they get used to sleeping on time.

Regulate meal time

This will help the body internal clock re-adjust to normal sleep. This is because when you eat affects your body‘s digestive process hence sleep. Meals close to bedtime may cause gastric reactions that may disrupt sleep. Similarly, do not give your child heavy meals close to bedtime.

Praise compliance

Children need more sleep than adults as it is crucial to their brain functioning and overall development.  You must ensure that you get the recommended amount of sleep each night even if it means rewarding compliance. Children thrive on rewards and praise, pitch the early to bed, early to rise quote and praise their effort towards achieving this.  This will help their motivation with fulfilling their bedtime schedule and also help you fulfil your role.

SOURCE: https://www.wincofoam.com/back-to-school-readjusting-to-normal-sleep-schedule/

7 Likes

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Daijin(m): 8:57pm On Sep 15, 2021
In my opinion, normal sleep regime is the most important thing for human beings, maily because it helps them to feel well. Some people neglect sleep regime, because they are sure that sleeping doesn't matter in their lives. However, it's not like that. It's proved by scientists that sleeping matters a lot. There are some diseases which are tightly connected with sleep regime, such as insomnia, nevertheless if you notice some symptoms of this disease you should apply to qualified somnologists, who can help you to fix it. If you want to be healthy and never have some diseases, you should comply with sleep regime.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Winningbot: 5:38am On Sep 16, 2021
grin
Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by tillaman(m): 5:39am On Sep 16, 2021
sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by prohet: 5:46am On Sep 16, 2021
Very educative. Thanks op

2 Likes

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by free2ryhme: 5:46am On Sep 16, 2021
Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Greenbuoy(m): 5:47am On Sep 16, 2021
Holiday don end be that?!

1 Like

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by nautybride: 5:54am On Sep 16, 2021
Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Sonnobax15(m): 5:55am On Sep 16, 2021
cheesy
The good old days..

1 Like

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by IdJack(m): 6:00am On Sep 16, 2021
It is well.

Sleeping adjustment is not easy.

Even we adult.

If you are on vacation, as soon as it finished. Wahala to wake up early.

4 Likes

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Nobody: 6:07am On Sep 16, 2021
Let me wait for elders to talk first
When I have kids I'll make definitely come back to this thread tongue

Can a married man be a best-man?? undecided
Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by aalangel(f): 6:10am On Sep 16, 2021
There is really nothing to re-adjust to. As a media practitioner, it is just normal to always get up on time.
Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Braze9(m): 6:16am On Sep 16, 2021

1 Like

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Drsnives(m): 6:19am On Sep 16, 2021
Wahala for who still dea send im pikin go school.
Ogbeni school na later things after handwork
Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by chival(f): 6:20am On Sep 16, 2021
I can relate to the post. My kid is struggling to readjust to a regular sleep pattern now that school has resumed. I should have enforced regular sleep patterns in the last week of the holidays.

2 Likes

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by femi4: 6:22am On Sep 16, 2021
That 8hrs sleep is key to good performance in school and throughout the day

2 Likes

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by suffering: 6:26am On Sep 16, 2021
Two months in and they’ll adjust. I’ll never make the mistake of sending children to boarding house with their antiquated six hours sleep practice.

1 Like

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Darkmode64: 6:34am On Sep 16, 2021
Daijin:
In my opinion, normal sleep regime is the most important thing for human beings, maily because it helps them to feel well. Some people neglect sleep regime, because they are sure that sleeping doesn't matter in their lives. However, it's not like that. It's proved by scientists that sleeping matters a lot. There are some diseases which are tightly connected with sleep regime, such as insomnia, nevertheless if you notice some symptoms of this disease you should apply to qualified somnologists, who can help you to fix it. If you want to be healthy and never have some diseases, you should comply with sleep regime.
Regimen
Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by BrightAhiah(m): 6:57am On Sep 16, 2021
@OP, you forgot to mention the part of sourcing money to pay for school fees and other things...

2 Likes

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by money121(m): 7:06am On Sep 16, 2021
Ok

1 Like

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Passionate888: 7:13am On Sep 16, 2021
A good sleep is always recommended angry

1 Like

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by vickydevoka(m): 7:18am On Sep 16, 2021
[quote author=femi4 post=105861560]That 8hrs sleep is key to good performance in school and throughout the day[/quote
Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by vickydevoka(m): 7:19am On Sep 16, 2021
femi4:
That 8hrs sleep is key to good performance in school and throughout the day
8 hrs for kids is good. Buh got adult is a waste of hours. I can't sleep more than 5 hrs. Wen ever. I sleep avice 6 hrs, it means I'm not feeling fine
Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by rezzy: 7:41am On Sep 16, 2021
Coping gradually

1 Like

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by rezzy: 7:45am On Sep 16, 2021
suffering:
Two months in and they’ll adjust. I’ll never make the mistake of sending children to boarding house with their antiquated six hours sleep practice.

I think it's still 8 hrs.
They go to bed by 10pm and get up by 6am.
Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Dididrumz(m): 7:54am On Sep 16, 2021
kingemi:
Let me wait for elders to talk first
When I have kids I'll make definitely come back to this thread tongue

Can a married man be a best-man?? undecided

Create a new thread and ask the question. It's a nice question.

1 Like

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Triangles1(m): 8:17am On Sep 16, 2021
Good article.

When I was young there's nothing like this but we survived, no extra lesson after school and our assignment was always done in the morning 1 hour to school, surprisingly we all passed that even ajebo children with extra home lesson teacher get jealous of us.

2 Likes

Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Divoc19(f): 8:37am On Sep 16, 2021
Readjusting is hard unless we tamper with their afternoon naps to make it worth the night.
Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by Vinnie2000(m): 8:44am On Sep 16, 2021
According to research, 7-8 hours of Night sleep is Right for the Human body!!

If you sleep 10pm -5am, Dats 7 hours!
If you sleep 11pm-6am, dats 7 hours!!

So everyone should always go to Bed@the Right time! smiley
Re: Back To School: Readjusting To ‘Normal’ Sleep Schedule by chii8(f): 8:51am On Sep 16, 2021
My dear, readjusting is not easy oooo, this first week,my children went to school a little bit late.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does A Scorpion Bite Kill? / So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? / Over Emphasis On The Girl Child.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.