Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,300 members, 7,839,466 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? (4988 Views)

Nkem Owoh AKA Osuofia: A Good Or Bad Actor? / Mercy Johnson Tied To A Truck & Dragged Along Muddy Street In new Movie Role / How can We As Nigerians make Nollywood better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by tboy1(m): 12:47pm On May 26, 2011
Mr, Cork:

do childrens in Nigeria spek english? How will they under stand Sesame streets?  undecided

This coming from someone who cannot construct a simple sentence, cannot use full words, mis-spell just about every other word and appear to write rubbish everytime whilst purporting to have English as your 1st language and having gone through an English-speaking education system. SMDH
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by AdamuW: 12:59pm On May 26, 2011
@OKX
Culture debate is a tough one for me. It's like trying to catch water. I'm the first to say culture is changing and never static. But even in this global age certain areas in the world still have a distinct social culture. When it comes to moral culture as in when people say the 'west' is corrupting us with their culture it's not correct. We in Nigeria don't have the monopoly on moral culture. There's good and bad moral culture/standards in all areas of the world. I could go on but I'll stop regarding that. I don't have all the answers.

I still say it's important to have children's programs that reflect the children themselves and their host culture no matter how subtle. For instance you can start from the obvious base point of having black and African looking characters in all our shades. Not the one black character in a cartoon but the entire cartoon having black characters is powerful in itself. It sends a message to black/African kids that they are just as important as any other kid.

Then you can talk about languages, accents, clothing. Yes, we do wear t-shirts and jeans in Africa. I'm doing so now. But I wore a kaftan yesterday. Nigerian Children might watch Willow Smith singing or the Cbeebies channel just as white kids in the U.S. or the U.K. but go and eat a traditional Nigerian meal for lunch whilst their white peers might eat spaghetti or pizza. I'm finding it hard to explain but even though there are commonalities, we have enough culturally specific material to work with in Africa to give children's media a unique voice.

As for the way our cartoon has been received well we have a loooooooong way to go. The limited release has been received well.The feedback has been great. I welcome it all, whether positive or negative. You'd be surprised the amount of resistance we've met though. I'm not complaining about it just stating it. We're just getting on with it as you and other's are in the sector.

I'm looking forward to hearing more solutions on the way forward. That's the hard part.
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by LOLOH: 5:47pm On May 26, 2011
i wish em good luck! shows like this dont sell in naija
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 26, 2011
AdamuW:

Sesame Square is the Nigerian version of Sesame Street. USAID teamed up with Sesame Street Workshop the non profit organisation behind Sesame Street and local media production house Ileke Media to produce it. It airs on NTA as part of an AIDS awareness and general education campaign that will go into schools touching the lives of 80,000 children.
[center][size=16pt]THANKS[/size][/center]
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by pleep(m): 1:42am On May 27, 2011
Sesame street made me gay  cry

haha jk.
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by OgidiBoy(m): 1:55am On May 27, 2011
^^^^ *** Ogidiboy sees pleep coming down the street and takes off running in the other direction***
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by pleep(m): 2:03am On May 27, 2011
^^^^ ***Were he ends up in sesame square and is cornered and gang violated by Bigbird and Oscar the grouch***
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by OgidiBoy(m): 2:09am On May 27, 2011
^^^^ hahahahaha you sick bro, grin grin grin grin grin

I wish I could be be gang violated by Maria the Puerto Rican chic
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by isleman(m): 11:42am On May 27, 2011
@AdamuW

bro! only talents can discover talents. NTA don't have the talents, so they cant discover one. remember they are civil servants, they act on instructions. They are not allowed to think. They only work for salaries, promotion and pensions.

You cant go far if you are in anything for the money, because when the money starts coming in, you will lose focus as that is the primary aim of being there. That is the case with most NTA staff, they are there to make money.

Imaging the owner of Marvel comics, the man who started spider-man. he is almost 80years now and is even innovating more after he stepped his comics to cartoon series. Do you think he can be paid off to retire? No! because he loves what he is doing and he is not doing it for money. The money is just a reward for his hard work.

Forget NTA, barely would anything good come from there until they are asked to fund themselves.
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by AdamuW: 12:06pm On May 27, 2011
isleman:

@AdamuW

bro! only talents can discover talents. NTA don't have the talents, so they cant discover one. remember they are civil servants, they act on instructions. They are not allowed to think. They only work for salaries, promotion and pensions.

I hear you @Isleman. But the NTA is all we have man and can be an effective media tool when mobilised. That's why politicians hijack it so much. We can't just leave it to them as some kind of political play thing and propaganda machine. Don't worry I'm not naive and I know to do that will almost be impossible! And there are some good people in the organisation. We can start with them.
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by isleman(m): 3:58pm On May 27, 2011
AdamuW:

I hear you @Isleman. But the NTA is all we have man and can be an effective media tool when mobilised. That's why politicians hijack it so much. We can't just leave it to them as some kind of political play thing and propaganda machine. Don't worry I'm not naive and I know to do that will almost be impossible! And there are some good people in the organisation. We can start with them.

@AdamuW - yes of course, there are good guys there. One of my friend's husband work there and he is pretty good on his job. The problem is, he is oppressed by the system. Even if you have bright ideas, it will killed by seniors so that you don't get promoted above them because of your good ideas which make the look silly and not productive. Unlike the private media that have a mandate to make money or get no pay.

wish you the best with NTA. My best advise, go there only when you have money. They don't like starters.
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by AdamuW: 4:29pm On May 27, 2011
isleman:

@AdamuW - yes of course, there are good guys there. One of my friend's husband work there and he is pretty good on his job. The problem is, he is oppressed by the system. Even if you have bright ideas, it will killed by seniors so that you don't get promoted above them because of your good ideas which make the look silly and not productive. Unlike the private media that have a mandate to make money or get no pay.

wish you the best with NTA. My best advise, go there only when you have money. They don't like starters.

Agreed
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by Nobody: 9:01pm On May 27, 2011
OP, nice topic and discussion.

texazzpete:

Roughly twice the amount the Nigerian Council of Imbecilic Oafs (NCIO) pay you to be their nairaland mouthpiece.

I must say you're doing a far better job than I am, though. The idiocy drips from your every word.

LOL. +1
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by aphek: 9:41pm On May 27, 2011
what a post! this is interesting.
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by texazzpete(m): 5:35am On May 28, 2011
AdamuW:

OK this is interesting. The general consensus from the Nairaland public is that Nigerian animation is wack, crap, stinks, rubbish with cockroaches flying out of it!

I'm not going to argue with you as you are the public and you call the shots. As the owner of an animation studio in Nigeria I am interested in changing that status quo so that you the public who are parents would be happy for your children to watch homegrown local cartoons. Many of us animators do.

Now we've established that Nigerian animation is not at the standard you want. How do you suggest we change it? What would you like to see? What type of programs if done right would you let your kds watch? How do you propose we do it right? Would you pay to watch our cartoons in the cinema?

Give us suggestions and insight. Anything would be of help. Because the situation needs to change. We can't keep getting ONLY foreign content for children on our TV stations no matter how good or bad. That's unacceptable. So please provide suggestions and solutions, guidance, whatever.

I know some in the graphics section will be listening keenly. I am.

@AdamuW
You'd do your cause a big favour by just embedding a youtube clip of your animation here.
This is now a 'show me' world, people don't care about 'tell me' again grin
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by AdamuW: 12:49pm On May 28, 2011
texazzpete:

@AdamuW
You'd do your cause a big favour by just embedding a youtube clip of your animation here.
This is now a 'show me' world, people don't care about 'tell me' again grin

@Texazzpete The original post was about Sesame Street not our animation that's why I didn't put our cartoon video up in this post. But we had to post a pilot episode on Youtube, Facebook, Nairaland etc last year to get feedback from people and what we had to improve. There's one thread about it.
Here is the video.

[flash=560,349]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ5sOMOYwkQ?fs=1&hl=en_GB&rel=0[/flash]
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by grandtener(m): 4:33am On Jun 05, 2011
you guys are getting this all wrong i have been in the 3d animation industry in nigeria for 5 years now, for you guys to not be able to tell nigerian work from foreign ones means we have broke the barrier of quality, the industry exists, though majority of the jobs are currently tv adverts, believe me when i say it is up and running.
the smallest 3d animation job for a tv advert of 15 seconds goes for over 1.5 million, who ever offer you less is obviousely taken the money for himself and reporting back to base this figure. there are many established 3d animation and visuall effects companies in nigeria, but do to the greed of a few not all of them, they refuse to breed the next generation, hoarding knowledge and information on the business aspect of 3d animation and visual effects. but this is not a problem i have seen very talented individuals that can rival foreigne proffessionals, the difference between them and talkers is that they went the extra mile to learn how to produce world class animations in stead of producing low quality efx and saying this is the level the whole country is on, simply it is what you want you will get, some( foreign proffesionals) might be destined but we must be determined. dont allow your selves to be deceived the 3d animation and visual effects industry exist. here are some tips to get started, 1. you need a show reel most of the guys you will meet whether in advert agencies , movie producers, or big brands like mtn , bournvita, maltina, mountain dew and so on need a video show reel of your work they can comfortably sit back and watch without hassle, here you should use preferably a dvd video, as most of them consider cd as sign of unseriouseness, even if they do not tell you.2. your show reel should contain full character animations that is engaging and memorable as well logo, text and visual effects animation.3. make sure your company details are clearly displayed on the disc ie. your logo name and contact.4. forget about the idea of one man business, because as you think you are not a fool so they to are not fools, they will not risk millions on one guy that can be hit buy a truck any time, always talk in terms of we, even if you are a team of four, it tells them there is professionalism and specialization in your company. 5. get used to typing briefs, story boards and treatments and expense reports, in short take your money as seriously as they will take there own money.6. have an office a presentable one even if all the wall are just painted white, also have the hardware to get the job done, i recommend having 6cores, 8 cores, 12 cores pcs also.6. and the most important dress well, dread locks might make you look creative but it wont get you millions, buy a suit, dress neat, in short dress well enough that your client does not think you are there to beg for arms or you could pull out a pistol from waist line of your shredded jeans. this is the minimum you really want to stop talking and start taking actions. for inspiration and ideas check out companies like the mill and digital domain( Google very important) and remember you only get what you want, so, "WHAT DO YOU WANT".
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by OKX(m): 7:59am On Jun 05, 2011
@grandtener
lol. Sure ur on d right bus?

Suggest u start a new thread with ya tots, u totally missed d point of this one.
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by AdamuW: 9:14am On Jun 07, 2011
@Grandtener,
Good advice but it's a bit off topic. :-)
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by grandtener(m): 3:41am On Jun 14, 2011
the chosen one has passed. my work is done.
Re: Sesame Street In Nigeria: Good Or Bad For Us As Nigerians? by AdamuW: 8:30am On Jun 24, 2011
[flash=560,349]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNlPvLoBY9g?version=3&hl=en_GB&rel=0[/flash]
This is a video from the lauch of our Nigerian educational cartoon in Silverbird cinema in Abuja. The event took place on Saturday the 18th.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bein Sport Warns Tstv / Mortal Kombat (2021) Movie Mp4 Download / Moments With Mo (tv Talk Show) Cuts Out The Word God When Mentioned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.