Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,335 members, 7,957,895 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:42 PM

What Makes A Good Blog? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Makes A Good Blog? (1233 Views)

What Makes A Good Writer / What Makes A Good Report? (part 2) / What Makes Me Write Like Crazy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes A Good Blog? by MyneWhite1(f): 11:07pm On May 24, 2011
This was very popular on my blog (http://www.mynewhitmanwrites.com), and I decided to share with my fellow NL writers. Enjoy,

It’s interesting how we all write differently and our blogs are so different from each other. I follow a lot of blogs and my typical blog round every two days or so is about 50 blogs. And on each blog, you see a different topic, a different style of writing, a different personality, a different story, a different life. And this is one thing that has kept me excited about blogging in my year plus of starting this blog. For me, it goes beyond having my own blog, posting my own stuff and expecting and replying to comments. As a writer who loves reading, I am inspired by the different voices and stories, it gets the wires in my head sparking – but in a good way smiley.

Of course, there are the similarities too. After all, we are all human and sometimes life throws the same experiences at us. For example, a lot of our student bloggers are looking forward to exams, a couple or so are looking for jobs, a similar number just got jobs, yay!, and I can remember some of months ago when a few bloggers popped out them babies. So yeah, it can sometimes seem like you’re reading the same thing over and again, especially when it comes to memes. I know I’m the chief culprit at that, 25 Question Tag anyone? Lol…

Now to the topic of this post; what makes a good a good blog is being able to stand out. It is imperative in this milieu of different and similar voices that a blogger strikes that note of uniqueness. For those of us that love blogging, that love people reading our posts, and love those comments, the truth is that if your blog does not stand out, your visitors may not return. I know there are a few bloggers who even though their blogs are not marked private would prefer it to be as undiscoverable as possible; I’m not talking about those. I’m referring to some people that get one comment per post, and wish it were five. Or look at their 10 followers and wish it were 100. What do you do? You need a good blog, a blog that stands out.

But how do you make your blog stand out you ask? By being yourself. Yes, you can look at what other popular bloggers are doing, and try to note some things to try. But don’t try to write like them, and even worse, never copy their work! That’s plagiarism, especially if you do not attribute it. If you do not have time to write a post, leave it, it’s not that serious. If you try to post everyday because the other person is doing it, you may end up burnt out. However, if you have it in you to post three times a day, go for it, just make sure there are some ads on your blog to at least buy pure water, smiley
Re: What Makes A Good Blog? by Bawss1(m): 2:21pm On May 25, 2011
I thought blogging died with the arrival of Facebook.
Re: What Makes A Good Blog? by MyneWhite1(f): 1:22am On May 26, 2011
Where have you been? Don't be left behind.
Re: What Makes A Good Blog? by Bawss1(m): 9:35am On May 27, 2011
I guess I haven't come across many personal blogs for a long time now. Tech and sports blogs, I think, are still going strong and I enjoy them because of the witty way which they report the latest developments in their respective areas of interest. I'm referring to the likes of Techdirt and Engadget. I used to read some personal blogs like Mongol Whored and Restless Thoughts but haven't seen any new things from them since Facebook blew up hence my first comment.
Re: What Makes A Good Blog? by kaylonda(f): 10:01pm On May 27, 2011
There are a new breed of bloggers in nigeria,
Apart from www.360nobs.com, there's bellanaija.com, and a whole lot. Use google, it will provide u with links to fabolous personal blogs like thetoolsman, and cikko,
Meanwhile check this out http:///iq5LkE
Enjoy the read
Re: What Makes A Good Blog? by shilling(f): 9:45am On Jun 01, 2011
@Myne:
Great post! Love your blog!
Re: What Makes A Good Blog? by MyneWhite1(f): 8:17pm On Jun 02, 2011
Thank you Shilling! cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Writing Tips: Think Out Of The Box! / Questions? Poem By Segun Oseni / DELIRIUM: Those Who The Gods Wish To Destroy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.