Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,589 members, 7,812,920 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works (9826 Views)

Stabilizer 5500VA Supermaster Original For Sale / Best Servo Automatic Voltage Stabilizer In Nigeria / 5000 Watts Century Stabilizer - SOLD!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 2:26pm On Sep 12, 2021
Good afternoon engineers in the house. I live in an area where low voltage is rampant and i plan to buy a 5000 watts stabilizer for my appliances.
My question is if a current of 70Voltage is been supplied to the stabilizer, would i get an output of 5000watt?
I have tried researching on this with google but didn't get any helpful results. Thanks.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Juliusmalema2: 2:44pm On Sep 12, 2021
5000 volts? No. Most stabilizers have minimum voltage of 80 volts, what this means is that even if the voltage drops to 80 volts ur stabilizer should output 220 volts. But below this threshold, that is 80 volts, ur stabilizer will not work well. So in summary ur stabilizer is a device that helps to maintain ur output voltage at 220 volts. 5000va(or watts) is the power capacity, that is the total power of the equipment u plug to it shouldn't exceed 5000 Watts.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Techguy96(m): 2:53pm On Sep 12, 2021
Raregem9000:
Good afternoon engineers in the house. I live in an area where low voltage is rampant and i plan to buy a 5000 voltage stabilizer for my appliances.
My question is if a current of 70Voltage is been supplied to the stabilizer, would i get an output of 5000voltage?
I have tried researching on this with google but didn't get any helpful results. Thanks.
What do u want to do with 5000volt, na factory u dey stay?
U home appliance work with 220 - 240volts, take it easy o.

7 Likes

Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by peacebirdone: 2:54pm On Sep 12, 2021
Please the stabilizer is a 5000w (watt) stabilizer and not in volts. Please check.

No Distribution company's supply can be 70volts in Nigeria. Maybe you mean 170v.

The stabilizer works like a transformer but in this case with taps. It automatically selects which output taps gives 220v

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by SUPERPACK: 2:59pm On Sep 12, 2021
Raregem9000:
Good afternoon engineers in the house. I live in an area where low voltage is rampant and i plan to buy a 5000 voltage stabilizer for my appliances.
My question is if a current of 70Voltage is been supplied to the stabilizer, would i get an output of 5000voltage?
Stabilizers are rated in Watts and KVA. What you seem to need is a voltage booster/transformer not Stabilizer from my understanding. The Voltage booster used in Tiger generators to press cloths and power cookers and other heavy appliances it can't power on a normal day should do the job you need.

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 3:00pm On Sep 12, 2021
No bro.
The reason why i'm opting for this is because i have a 1000va stabilizer but it doesn't work for me.
The input and output voltage on the stabilizer is always below 50 and this has damaged some of my appliances or could it be it's my 1000va stabilizer that's not working perfectly?
I thought the two readings on the stabilizer i.e input and output are suppose to be different or am i wrong?
Techguy96:

What do u want to do with 5000volt, na factory u dey stay?
U home appliance work with 220 - 240volts, take it easy o.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 3:08pm On Sep 12, 2021
Oh yes, it's in watt. No, it's not 170V, it's 70V. I think the problem is from our transformer though! I just checked now but the meter readings on the stabilizer are in voltage. I always check the readings whenever there is light and the current is usually below 50Voltage. What can i use to boost this 50voltage to maybe 150voltage? Thanks
peacebirdone:
Please the stabilizer is a 5000w (watt) stabilizer and not in volts. Please check.

No Distribution company's supply can be 70volts in Nigeria. Maybe you mean 170v.

The stabilizer works like a transformer but in this case with taps. It automatically selects which output taps gives 220v
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 3:11pm On Sep 12, 2021
Exactly, what i need is something that will boost the current from 50voltage to like 150voltage. Where can i get the power booster from sir?
SUPERPACK:
Stabilizers are rated in Watts and KVA. What you seem to need is a voltage booster/transformer not Stabilizer from my understanding. The Voltage booster used in Tiger generators to press cloths and power cookers and other heavy appliances it can't power on a normal day should do the job you need.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 3:30pm On Sep 12, 2021
Sir, i have a 1000watt stabilizer and even when the input meter readings shows 100V, the output will shows 100V too, is it that the stabilizer is not in a good condition?
Juliusmalema2:
5000 volts? No. Most stabilizers have minimum voltage of 80 volts, what this means is that even if the voltage drops to 80 volts ur stabilizer should output 220 volts. But below this threshold, that is 80 volts, ur stabilizer will not work well. So in summary ur stabilizer is a device that helps to maintain ur output voltage at 220 volts. 5000va(or watts) is the power capacity, that is the total power of the equipment u plug to it shouldn't exceed 5000 Watts.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by SUPERPACK: 3:31pm On Sep 12, 2021
Raregem9000:
Exactly, what i need is something that will boost the current from 50voltage to like 150voltage. Where can i get the power booster from sir?
Please take the stabilizer to an electrician to rectify any internal malfunctioning. If the voltage in your area is low it can't be 50V because the stabilizer wont even power on with that little amount. Normal voltage supply is 110V - 230V. You can also call an electrician to measure the voltage in your area so you know the problem before looking for solution, I suspect the stabilizer is bad or you are not reading it correctly. What you see on the stabilizer screen could also be frequency and not voltage, it appears like this; 50Hz, 52Hz, 56Hz etc.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 3:36pm On Sep 12, 2021
Sir, the low voltage is due to bad transformer in the area and sometimes, current is even lower than 50Voltage on my stabilizer readings.

Here is the information on the stabilizer.
Automatic Voltage Regulator
Model :AVR-1000VA
Output:220v
Input: 100-280V
SUPERPACK:
Please take the stabilizer to an electrician to rectify any internal malfunctioning. If the voltage in your area is low it can't be 50V because the stabilizer wont even power on with that little amount. Normal voltage supply is 110V - 230V. You can also call an electrician to measure the voltage in your area so you know the problem before looking for solution, I suspect the stabilizer is bad or you are not reading it correctly. What you see on the stabilizer screen could also be frequency and not voltage, it appears like this; 50Hz, 52Hz, 56Hz etc.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by SUPERPACK: 3:45pm On Sep 12, 2021
Raregem9000:
Sir, the low voltage is due to bad transformer in the area and sometimes, current is even lower than 50Voltage on my stabilizer readings.

HMM. Visit any electrical shop or Generator repair shop and ask for Voltage booster then. You can check the price on Jumia or Konga for insight on price range and capacity.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Juliusmalema2: 4:01pm On Sep 12, 2021
Raregem9000:

With what I just explained, the minimum voltage ur stabilizer can raise to 220v is 100 volts and the maximum it could stabilize is 280 v (input: 100 - 280v). If ur voltage drops below 100 volts ur stabilizer will not be able to raise the voltage to 220v, and that is why ur input of 50v is same with the output. 50v is below ur stabilizer rated voltage. Some stabilizers have the turbo button, which can further make the stabilizer tolerate as low as 80 volts. Nothing is wrong with ur stabilizer, just that the input voltage is too low. One way u could solve ur problem is to use a step up transformer to step up that 50 volts to about 100 voltage and then plug ur stabilizer to the 100v on the output side of the step up, ur stabilizer would raise it to 220v. But u have to be sure that ur light from ur transformer would not suddenly rise to 220v so that u don't damage ur step up.

2 Likes

Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 6:23pm On Sep 12, 2021
Thanks for that well detailed explanation. What's the kva of the step up transformer i should look for or any kva will do?
Juliusmalema2:

With what I just explained, the minimum voltage ur stabilizer can raise to 220v is 100 volts and the maximum it could stabilize is 280 v (input: 100 - 280v). If ur voltage drops below 100 volts ur stabilizer will not be able to raise the voltage to 220v, and that is why ur input of 50v is same with the output. 50v is below ur stabilizer rated voltage. Some stabilizers have the turbo button, which can further make the stabilizer tolerate as low as 80 volts. Nothing is wrong with ur stabilizer, just that the input voltage is too low. One way u could solve ur problem is to use a step up transformer to step up that 50 volts to about 100 voltage and then plug ur stabilizer to the 100v on the output side of the step down, ur stabilizer would raise it to 220v. But u have to be sure that ur light from ur transformer would not suddenly rise to 220v so that u don't damage ur step up.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Juliusmalema2: 6:29pm On Sep 12, 2021
Raregem9000:
Thanks for that well detailed explanation. What's the kva of the step up transformer i should look for or any kva will do?
Depending on the load u want it to carry. If u want to use it for all ur appliances, a 5000 Watts step up would do the work. But u could also use smaller ones if u don't intend to use much.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 6:36pm On Sep 12, 2021
I went to where they sell electrical appliances some months back but they say there is nothing like a stepup transformer that they only know of stepdown transformer. They showed me the stepdown which is of black colour. Is it also same as stepup?

From your explanation, i thought i just need the step up transformer to increase the current going into the stabilizer to 100V while the Stabilizer boost it up to 220V, am i right?
Juliusmalema2:

Depending on the load u want it to carry. If u want to use it for all ur appliances, a 5000 Watts step up would do the work. But u could also use smaller ones if u don't intend to use much.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Juliusmalema2: 6:44pm On Sep 12, 2021
Raregem9000:
I went to where they sell electrical appliances some months back but they say there is nothing like a stepup transformer that they only know of stepdown transformer. They showed me the stepdown which is of black colour. Is it also same as stepup?
It is both a step up and a step down transformer depending on where u used as ur input. In ur case, ur supply from ur transformer is about 50v, plug the side of the step up/down labelled 110v to ur wall, the other side labelled 220v become ur output which would be like double of the 50v from the input side. If u want to use it as step down, plug the 220v to ur wall. Look at the pack, u will see it boldly written step up/down. U know those guys selling just call it a step down transformer.

3 Likes

Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 6:48pm On Sep 12, 2021
Thanks for your time sir. I really appreciate.
Juliusmalema2:

It is both a step up and a step down transformer depending on where u used as ur input. In ur case, ur supply from ur transformer is about 50v, plug the side of the step up/down labelled 110v to ur wall, the other side labelled 220v become ur output which would be like double of the 50v from the input side. If u want to use it as step down, plug the 220v to ur wall. Look at the pack, u will see it boldly written step up/down. U know those guys selling just call it a step down transformer.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Juliusmalema2: 6:50pm On Sep 12, 2021
Raregem9000:
Thanks for your time sir. I really appreciate.
U are welcome.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 7:17pm On Sep 12, 2021
Something cross my mind now sir. I'm thinking since the transformer is rated 110V and 220V respectively that it might not be able to work effectively if the current from the power surge is not up to 110v or what do you think sir?
Juliusmalema2:

U are welcome.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Juliusmalema2: 7:23pm On Sep 12, 2021
Raregem9000:
Something cross my mind now sir. I'm thinking since the transformer is rated 110V and 220V respectively that it might not be able to work effectively if the current from the power surge is not up to 110v or what do you think sir?
No, it will work, just that it won't raise it up to 220v, but it would sure raise it to about 100v then ur stabilizer would then complete the job. Step up transformer has more number of turns of coil on the secondary side than the primary side, hence it increases the voltage by electromagnetic induction

3 Likes

Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 8:18pm On Sep 12, 2021
Ok sir. I will get it and feed you back. Thanks sir
Juliusmalema2:

No, it will work, just that it won't raise it up to 220v, but it would sure raise it to about 100v then ur stabilizer would then complete the job. Step up transformer has more number of turns of coil on the secondary side than the primary side, hence it increases the voltage by electromagnetic induction
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Juliusmalema2: 8:21pm On Sep 12, 2021
Raregem9000:
Ok sir. I will get it and feed you back. Thanks sir
OK. It definitely gonna work.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by litaninja(m): 8:39pm On Sep 12, 2021
If you're getting 50v as your supply from the distribution co, the course of action you need to follow is to take up the issue with the company.
Your public power supply should ideally not go below 180v for any reason.
Even if you are able to step up the voltage from 50v, you wont be able to get actually utility from that as it won't be able to carry the current needed.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 7:47am On Sep 13, 2021
The 50V we are getting is as a result of bad transformer.
litaninja:
If you're getting 50v as your supply from the distribution co, the course of action you need to follow is to take up the issue with the company.
Your public power supply should ideally not go below 180v for any reason.
Even if you are able to step up the voltage from 50v, you wont be able to get actually utility from that as it won't be able to carry the current needed.

Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by litaninja(m): 12:27pm On Sep 13, 2021
I understand.
The transformer and power supply is what needs to be fixed.
Raregem9000:
The 50V we are getting is as a result of bad transformer.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by litaninja(m): 12:28pm On Sep 13, 2021
I think this is bad advice.
What happens when the proper supply of about 220v comes into the step-up?
grin grin
Juliusmalema2:

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Juliusmalema2: 12:38pm On Sep 13, 2021
litaninja:
I think this is bad advice.
What happens when the proper supply of about 220v comes into the step-up?
grin grin
That was why I told him to be sure that his input voltage doesn't suddenly rise to 220v. With what he said, it's like it's a transformer issue, may be no sight of it been fixed any time soon.

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 2:09pm On Sep 13, 2021
No one is ready to take up the challenge of fixing the transformer and NEPA won't stop bringing 9,000# bills. Even if we tell them the light is not good, they will say it doesn't concern them
litaninja:
I understand.
The transformer and power supply is what needs to be fixed.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 2:11pm On Sep 13, 2021
Yes, it's a transformer issue and they won't fix it anytime soon.
Juliusmalema2:

That was why I told him to be sure that his input voltage doesn't suddenly rise to 220v. With what he said, it's like it's a transformer issue, may be no sight of it been fixed any time soon.
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by litaninja(m): 2:41pm On Sep 13, 2021
Wawu!
Raregem9000:
No one is ready to take up the challenge of fixing the transformer and NEPA won't stop bringing 9,000# bills. Even if we tell them the light is not good, they will say it doesn't concern them
Re: Pls I Need A Help On How A Stabilizer Works by Raregem9000(m): 2:45pm On Sep 13, 2021
This is Nigeria. Lol
litaninja:
Wawu!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Direct From Yankee Samsung S10+ / Promo Run: Mtn. Glo. Etisalat 1gb Data For N1000. 100mb For N25 / Portable Solar Power Generator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.