Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,953 members, 7,828,352 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

How My Most Embarrassing Moments as a Graphic Designer Changed My Life Forever - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / How My Most Embarrassing Moments as a Graphic Designer Changed My Life Forever (542 Views)

Gyakie Forever Lyrics Video / Rate My First Work As A Graphic Designer (Photos) / I Need A Graphic Designer In Lagos For A Freelance Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How My Most Embarrassing Moments as a Graphic Designer Changed My Life Forever by chinadizi(m): 10:48pm On Sep 15, 2021
"What nonsense is this!"

"I can't even show this to my board members. They'll laugh me to scorn," he said, as I received the shocking news from Fiverr that my order was cancelled.

For the first time, someone said I was one of the bottom 99% of designers who didn't know the psychology behind design.

He said he knew I had skills, but not in design. I was embarrassed. What an insult! I almost smashed my laptop screen in anger.

Then SOMETHING STRUCK ME!

……………………………………………………………

I remembered when I was laughed out of Daniel Eke's graphic design Whatsapp group. I posted a design I was super proud of but everybody laughed at it. Someone even called it "NOISE."

I knew how to use Photoshop very well, so how come these guys were laughing at my work? After all the hours I put into it.

My design that looked beautiful in my eyes was CRAP in their eyes.

I had never been insulted like that in my entire life.

Me? Designing noise?

So, I left the group since they couldn't appreciate my value.

……………………………………………………………

That was when it dawned on me .  Maybe I was a crappy designer but I couldn't see it. I was living in a fake fantasy that I was doing awesome work.

I was broken.

That moment, I swore to change everything and seek the truth.

What did I do?

I WENT BACK TO MY DRAWING BOARD.

For months, I dug deep, looking for the missing ingredient in my design. Trying to discover what I was doing wrong and how to make things right. I watched videos, read books, and laid my hands on anything I could find to get a solution.

Then one day, I struck gold.

I discovered I had missed the first and most important step to becoming a graphic designer. I had jumped to master Photoshop, thinking that was the main thing.

It dawned on me that using the best design software or mastering Photoshop, Illustrator, or Corel Draw is not what makes me a good designer.

No wonder I was so good at Photoshop but my designs sucked.

Now, just like me a few years ago, you may have invested lots of your time, data, and money to learn Photoshop, Corel Draw, or whatever design software you use. Yet, you always get catastrophic reviews for your designs. Your clients are always disappointed and cancel the project after you've spent money, time, and energy on it. The ones that managed to accept your delivery swear never to hire you again because your design sucks.

Whenever you post your work online, people laugh at it and make fun of you. Some people have even told you that graphic design is not for you and you should learn something else.

Even when your work looks excellent in your eyes, people still complain that it's crap. You feel they are lying, so you start insulting them.

Here's the truth:

If many good designers are complaining that your work is crap, it's either

Your design is really really really BAD (I can show you examples if you want)

OR

You can't see that your design is CRAP due to the level of design knowledge and revelation that you have.

Yes! What an elder sees while sitting down, a child can't see it even if he climbs the top of an iroko tree. Revelation is everything!

Sometimes, you know something is wrong with your design but can't figure out what it is or how to fix it.

Maybe, you have a passion for graphic design but don't know how/where to start.

I've been there. A few years ago, I was in your shoes . I was a struggling designer who didn't know how to create designs that work.

But I found THE solution.

I discovered the secret that designers use to create beautiful and effective designs irrespective of their design software. That secret changed my design life for good. It earned me referrals to top gigs that I never pitched or applied for. If you discover this secret, you'll be able to create clean, professional, and interesting designs that attract wonderful clients and keep them coming back for more.

THAT'S THE SECRET I WANT TO SHOW YOU

If your design sucks.

If you're tired of designing crap.

If you can't tell whether you're designing crap or not.

If you know there's a problem with your design but you don't know how to fix it.

If you can spot a bad design but don't know how to fix it.

If you're ready to turn your passion for design into a full-time career that gives you the freedom to work from anywhere.

If you want to discover how to choose the right colours and perfect fonts for your designs.

If you want to discover how to arrange elements to create a strong visual impact.

If you want to charge WELL for your designs.

If you only learnt how to use Photoshop, Corel Draw or any design software without learning anything else.

If you want to discover how to create beautiful, clean, and interesting designs that wow your clients.

If you've noticed something is missing in your design but you can't just figure it out.

If you're new to graphic design and want to learn design software.

If you want to develop a great eye for design so you can spot a good design from a bad one miles away.

If you're just starting with graphic design and you need a STRONG foundation.

If you want to improve your design but don't know how to go about it.

And if you can dedicate two hours of your life every day for the next four months.

I want to help you become a high-ticket designer this year.

Initially, I started by hosting graphic design bootcamps where I taught new and prospective graphic designers the fundamentals of graphic design.

I exposed insider secrets on:
How to create beautiful, interesting and organized designs.
How to spot and fix problems in your design.
Four solid foundations for excellent design.
Seven deadly mistakes to avoid in your design.
Ten powerful resources to use for your design.

The bootcamps have been the game changer for a handful as I revealed an assortment of insider secrets used by successful designers (I learnt SIX of those secrets after that embarrassment from my Fiverr client).

But there was a problem...

It was taking a toll on me and I couldn't cope with the stress.

I love teaching, especially when it's something that I know so well and can help others. But the trainings I held were overwhelming me. I was losing my mind.

In March this year, my mental health was so bruised that I second-guessed myself. I started to wonder and doubt if all my efforts were worth it after all. Imagine sharing insight worth N100K for only N5K. I didn't set the price that low just because I couldn't charge any higher. I did it to accommodate as many earnest prospective designers as possible. There were so many bad designers doing crappy work that I had to do something to change the narrative. But at what cost? My sanity? No!

That March was the craziest month of my life outside school so far. I decided to cease the trainings for my sanity. I know I'll still hold trainings in the near future but for now I can't risk my mental stability.

So, I decided to turn those trainings into a powerful ebook. That way, I can create the much-desired change without sacrificing my health.

Those who get the book are still enjoying:
My special font combination pack (they'll never break their heads again over the perfect font combination for their designs).
Free access to industry-standard graphic design software.
Free access to my premium mockup templates (over 40GB).
Free access to premium design templates and stock images (Done For You).

That book has yielded lots of testimonies and created huge turnarounds in designers' lives

What many designers don't know is that there are lots of highly qualified buyers who are actively looking for top quality designs right now.

If you do good work for good clients, it'll lead to other good work for other good clients.
But if you do bad work for bad clients, it'll lead to other bad work for other bad clients.

Just yesterday, I was speaking with a young designer (so he said). He was lamenting about how poor his designs were and how hard he had tried to master his software so he could improve. All to no avail. I looked at him and told him he had put the cart before the horse.

I replied him,

"Do you still want to keep going in circles, losing months and years in trial and error, for a solution to your design problems?
OR would you rather take advantage of the solution ready for you and start applying it straight away?
I know you'll make the right decision today that'll change your design life for good. This is your chance."

I also told him about my experience which I've shared in this post. Then I told him about my book.

Your days of creating designs that attract lots of bad clients are over. Learn the secrets that will turn you into a happy and confident designer who delivers excellent results consistently.

If you want to learn more, send me a message on WhatsApp (check my profile).

Bad design is like wearing a rumpled suit. It doesn't mean you're a bad person but it may give people the wrong impression.
Re: How My Most Embarrassing Moments as a Graphic Designer Changed My Life Forever by Goldbw122(m): 10:57pm On Sep 15, 2021
Long episode, I will read it later
Re: How My Most Embarrassing Moments as a Graphic Designer Changed My Life Forever by Klastivity: 2:24am On Sep 16, 2021
Nice write up.... Good job...
We all want growth and progress. In every six month at most, you should learn a new thing to improve your skills or business to attract new set of clients..
Please, kindly try to summarize long write-ups like this so that it looks attractive and people can jump on it.. Sometimes, people just want to get your point once and for all

(1) (Reply)

check Out What I Was Able To Design After Few Weeks Of Learning / A Customer Just Scammed Me Of My Designs (photos) / ....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.