Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,466 members, 7,819,703 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Who Are The Village People? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Are The Village People? (2203 Views)

"Village People" Fact Or Myth? / Why A Lot Of Igbos Build Mansions In The Village / 10 Things That People In The Village Enjoy Better Than People In The Cities Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Are The Village People? by amnesty7: 7:11am On Sep 18, 2021
I always find it hilarious on Nairaland threads where some misfortune happens to someone and the next thing one will see under the comments is "village people at work". Please who are these village and why is every evil pushed to their doorstep?
Re: Who Are The Village People? by vickyfrancis1(m): 7:36am On Sep 18, 2021
In my opinion, I think 'Village people'. Is just a slang or parlance for bad Belle people, Enemies of progress, etc.
Lots of them are disguised as friends, neighbors, relatives, etc. So always be on the lookout and mind how you divulge sensitive informations about your life be it online or otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Village People? by Magnoliaa(f): 8:08am On Sep 18, 2021
Lol... In addition to what the person above has said, I think it owes to the fact of us always associating our cultures and homes with negative things and backwardness.

Most of our parents, grandparents and family members come from extended families. The average African comes from a tree of polygamous families, so you have lands, properties and lots of kids fighting over such. All sort of primitive tribalism, bad blood, wickedness and black magic that has made up a part of our traditional social system - mores, sanctions, folkways, etc., and then you have the westernized religious influence, and when kids from such family leave the issues and enmity, to go make something of themselves in the cities, they consult with prophet and seers that tell them they are being attacked from home, family... 'the village people.' These forces are stronger back at our hometowns and such. I know people who believe they are being ''done'' by some second wife or her kids, or their dad's uncle bla bla bla. This is what is like the social basis and fact of the phrase...before it came to generally mean any misfortune or bad belle.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Royal Wives Go For Shopping In Uk (pics) / Have You Heard Of The Kpelle People? / Whats The Meaning Of Opari?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.