Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,986 members, 7,817,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. (4099 Views)

Passengers Stranded After Bus Conductor Runs Away With Money (video) / Enugu Policemen Ran Away After Their Roadblock Caused Multiple Car Accident / Man Survives After His Car Ran Under A Truck In Abuja (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Mzztiana(f): 6:05pm On Sep 20, 2021
Good Evening everyone,

I really need help. Any appropriate advice would be really appreciated.

My friend guaranteed a friend of hers to take some loans to process application for study in the UK.

The loan was not even supposed to be due to repay until three months after the lady takes off, but the loan company started demanding repayment a week after she left. The lady did promise to pay back as soon as she gets there but all avenue to contact her has proven impossible.

My friend's business and reputation that she's built all these years are in jeopardy.

I advised her to write a letter to the school but we only know her name. I also advise that she writes to the immigration.

Does anyone have an idea on the right approach to get some justice.

Please!

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Amotolongbo(f): 6:08pm On Sep 20, 2021
Many people in Nigeria think one goes abroad to pluck money anyhow. This is the reason why the lady could go on to take short term loan to travel and the other lady standing as guarantor.

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, I’m a living witness to it. Though no matter what kind of legitimate work you do in the western world (most especially UK) your earnings will cover the basic necessities of life, food, shelter, transport and some savings, but you will sweat it out. You will work for every penny you earn. Not like in Nigeria where the civil servants and workers just sit down doing what they like during the working hours. Anyone who has worked in the UK will really understand this and relate so well.

The advice I can give to your friend (maybe you if you are the one experiencing that) as guarantor is to just accept the fate and allow the loaner to retrieve the money back in any form from the guarantor. And continue to pray that the friend who traveled out can make it in life and one day remember to repay the guarantor in multiple folds.

13 Likes

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by DaddyRochie1642: 6:08pm On Sep 20, 2021
You see why we keep singing this Anthem of
"TRUST NO ONE" grin

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Totilopussylick(m): 6:22pm On Sep 20, 2021
Them say money is the root of........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Lastpharoah33: 6:27pm On Sep 20, 2021
Why will the loaner suddenly request for a payback when the agreed time frame is nowhere near yet?

17 Likes

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Gudbadguy: 6:37pm On Sep 20, 2021
Which country?

1 Like

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by ednut1(m): 6:52pm On Sep 20, 2021
This is a careless thing to do. Write the school and immigration. She will be deported and you wont still get the money back. In 2021 o kai

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Mzztiana(f): 7:06pm On Sep 20, 2021
Gudbadguy:
Which country?
United Kingdom
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Mzztiana(f): 7:06pm On Sep 20, 2021
ednut1:
This is a careless thing to do. Write the school and immigration. She will be deported and you wont still get the money back. In 2021 o kai
God help us o
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Mzztiana(f): 7:13pm On Sep 20, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Many people in Nigeria think one goes abroad to pluck money anyhow. This is the reason why the lady could go on to take short term loan to travel and the other lady standing as guarantee.

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, I’m a living witness to it. Though no matter what kind of legitimate work you do in the western world (most especially UK) your earnings will cover the basic necessities of life, food, shelter, transport and some savings, but you will sweat it out. You will work for every penny you earn. Not like Nigeria.

The advice I can give to your friend (maybe you if you are the one experiencing that) as guarantor is to just accept the fate and allow the loaner to retrieve the money back in any form from the guarantor. And continue to pray that the friend who traveled out can make it in life and one day remember to repay the guarantor in multiple folds.

Thank you so much for your response.

It really is my friend. My heart bleeds since I've heard about it.

It's actually more sad cause I've heard quite a lot of other peoples' experiences regarding this same issue but in this case, it feels more personal and she seeks advice on how to "get the money" back.
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Jim99: 7:18pm On Sep 20, 2021
Your friend or yourself?

Cuz i see no reason why you should be bothered about someone else's problem.
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Gudbadguy: 7:47pm On Sep 20, 2021
Mzztiana:

United Kingdom
Alryt.first of all that loan company has no right to ask for their money before the agreed time which Is 3 weeks.Ignore them or remind Dem about the contract. I hope it's well documented sha.
Secondly give ur friend more time.i don't think she has any evil intentions towards you because a sane person knows that the wrongest thing to do is to messup as an immigrant in UK.give her time because she has to get where to sleep wat to eat and then bank processings

5 Likes

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Mzztiana(f): 8:21pm On Sep 20, 2021
Jim99:
Your friend or yourself?

Cuz i see no reason why you should be bothered about someone else's problem.

Appreciate your response. However, you do not have to be so insensitive.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by centoke30(m): 8:22pm On Sep 20, 2021
It's quite disheartening.. This kind of issue can lead to suicide. No one knows if she can even fund the loan in question.. What about the loanees' family members?
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Mzztiana(f): 8:22pm On Sep 20, 2021
Gudbadguy:

Alryt.first of all that loan company has no right to ask for their money before the agreed time which Is 3 weeks.Ignore them or remind Dem about the contract. I hope it's well documented sha.
Secondly give ur friend more time.i don't think she has any evil intentions towards you because a sane person knows that the wrongest thing to do is to messup as an immigrant in UK.give her time because she has to get where to sleep wat to eat and then bank processings

Thank you so much
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by newmoney133: 8:10am On Sep 21, 2021
[quote author=Mzztiana post=106013816]

Thank you so much[/quote

Give her little time.She has been gone for three weeks and no means of communication.She no try at all.Try and send Multiple email to her yahoo and gmail
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Mzztiana(f): 9:30am On Sep 21, 2021
centoke30:
It's quite disheartening.. This kind of issue can lead to suicide. No one knows if she can even fund the loan in question.. What about the loanees' family members?

She's been there.

It's just the mother and the younger sibling.

No hope there.
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:30am On Sep 21, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Many people in Nigeria think one goes abroad to pluck money anyhow. This is the reason why the lady could go on to take short term loan to travel and the other lady standing as guarantor.

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, I’m a living witness to it. Though no matter what kind of legitimate work you do in the western world (most especially UK) your earnings will cover the basic necessities of life, food, shelter, transport and some savings, but you will sweat it out. You will work for every penny you earn. Not like Nigeria.

I don't understand why people say this. So Nigerians living in Nigeria all get free shit and don't work for every penny they spend or what?

9 Likes

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by BRATISLAVA: 9:36am On Sep 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I don't understand why people say this. So Nigerians living in Nigeria all get free shit and don't work for every penny they spend or what?

I wonder.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Fidelismaria: 9:09am On Sep 22, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

As in eeeh!

The statement they tire me too ooo.

Like say na buhari they feed us for here.
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by thiagoteres(m): 4:24pm On Sep 22, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Not necessarily.
Some people have an illusion about the reality of life abroad. They assume things would just sort itself when they land abroad.
Take the op for instance. Unless it's a fairly small amount ,how do you honestly expect someone that would be working on a student visa to raise money to cover their living costs, school fees balance and then pay back a loan within the short period highlighted?
Keep in mind also this person is going to a new place without any mention of a social support system.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 3:04pm On Sep 24, 2021
I'm sorry to type this as it may seem insensitive and not helping.

But, how and where did that your friend get the loan for travel from? Is it a microfinance bank? My life depends on that information, as I need to leave this country with immediate alacrity.
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by nairalandolodo3(f): 1:08pm On Jan 15, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:

But, how and where did that your friend get the loan for travel from? Is it a microfinance bank? My life depends on that information, as I need to leave this country with immediate alacrity.

Hello please did you see? embarassed
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Originalsly: 8:58pm On Jan 15, 2022
We need to chew on what Amotolongbo is saying. It is clear the friend is one who thinks money grows on trees abroad ... the reason why she believed the woman will repay her as soon as she gets abroad. Anyone that has to borrow money to get a road.... and does not have a support system will be struggling daily to find food, clothing and shelter let alone to be paying back loan.... or finance schooling. If she knows her correct name... date of birth and any other personal info... she should make a report to the consulate.... have her rounded up and deported. It may take quite some time.... homeless people are not easy to locate.
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by Okestra01(m): 10:46am On Jan 12, 2023
Abeg did you get the loan info
UyaiIncomparabl:

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 11:55am On Jan 12, 2023
Okestra01:
Abeg did you get the loan info

No.
Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by ibechris(m): 12:55pm On Jan 12, 2023
Go and read the following passage in the Bible.

1. Proverbs 11:15
2. Proverbs 6:1-7
3. Proverbs 22:26-27

U will know why they say being a guarantor isn't a joke.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by emperorlaqrin: 3:17pm On Jan 12, 2023
Mzztiana:

Thank you so much for your response.

It really is my friend. My heart bleeds since I've heard about it.

It's actually more sad cause I've heard quite a lot of other peoples' experiences regarding this same issue but in this case, it feels more personal and she seeks advice on how to "get the money" back.

Bros the lady up there as told you the simple truth make una just accept fate and pray she refunds back the money but the truth is that forget that three month of repayment because your friend in Uk won’t be able to repay that money back at that time because right now I can imagine what she herself is going through in the Uk and funniest part is that I pray the school don’t even revoke her admission because am sure she never pay finish and she is only restricted to 20hours work per week so you can imagine how she wan pay for accommodation, balance up school fees, refund her debts. Let’s assume she even breach the 20hours work rule she no go still meet up with the time of repayment. UK work no Be like Naija work o and I don’t see her doing two jobs because it means she will forget her studies which will still lead to school revoking her studentship.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Ran Away With My Money To Study Abroad. by emperorlaqrin: 3:20pm On Jan 12, 2023
thiagoteres:

Not necessarily.
Some people have an illusion about the reality of life abroad. They assume things would just sort itself when they land abroad.
Take the op for instance. Unless it's a fairly small amount ,how do you honestly expect someone that would be working on a student visa to raise money to cover their living costs, school fees balance and then pay back a loan within the short period highlighted?
Keep in mind also this person is going to a new place without any mention of a social support system.

You nailed it jare I won’t have bothered commenting if had seen this

(1) (Reply)

Shocking! My Mtn Line Works In London As T-mobile Uk. / 10 Countries It’s Crazy Easy To Immigrate To / Visa Lottery Photograph Dimension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.