Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,534 members, 7,816,301 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? (19035 Views)

How To Register An Association In Nigeria / How Much To Register An Association? / All You Need To Know Before Operating Online Savings Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Victorialaws(f): 3:58pm On Sep 22, 2021
We have come in contact with so many business owners and commercial men and women complaining about the attitude of their co-business owners in their respective businesses mandating them to register in a formed association as a member else they will not be allowed to freely operate or peacefully carry out their businesses.

Members of the association in forcing individuals to join their association goes to the extent of taking over the businesses of individuals who refuses to register with them thereby seizing their business and hindering them from attending to clients and propsective customers. 

It is important to note that by virtue of Section 40 of the Constitution of Nigeria, it is the fundamental right of every individual in Nigeria to freely assemble and associate with others as he or she may so please.

Another provision of the law which expressly makes reference to the fact that Association is not to be forced is the provision of Section 12(4) of the Trade Unions Act which states that:
"Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Act, membership of a trade union by employees shall be voluntary and no employee shall be forced to join any trade union or be victimized for refusing to join or remain a member."

It is therefore the choice of every one to either choose to join, exit or never join any association in Nigeria and not even an order of a court can compel any individual to join an association.

It is however against the spirit of the law to threaten, force or mandate any individual to join any association.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Yagazee: 4:05pm On Sep 22, 2021
Please do. So that they will not show one day, lock your shop and cease you stuffs. Just do

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Victorialaws(f): 4:23pm On Sep 22, 2021
Lock shop you say? It's more easier than you think Yagazee, you can enforce your right against any association.
There is no law mandating any individual to join any association, so if you know your right, you pursue it and still claim cost against them.

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by dangoteinlaw: 5:11pm On Sep 22, 2021
Victorialaws:
Lock shop you say? It's more easier than you think Yagazee, you can enforce your right against any association.
There is no law mandating any individual to join any association, so if you know your right, you pursue it and still claim cost against them.
easier said online than done offline. That's how i wanted to cut my hair and they took away the guy's gen. Smh

43 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by richmond500: 5:39pm On Sep 23, 2021
K
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by mrkings84(m): 5:39pm On Sep 23, 2021
Good a thing u know the law so you are free to act in accordance to the law but let me warn u, these laws are not made for ordinary citizens.

It's like telling MC Olomo that u don't want to belong to NURTW.... By doing so u know what will befall u on top the law u know!!

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Chrizzz: 5:39pm On Sep 23, 2021
They will only frustrate you if you join,I don’t see any point in joining anyway

2 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by GeneralPula: 5:40pm On Sep 23, 2021
They’ll frustrate you if you don’t join..

If you join, it’s not as if you’ll benefit something..

Naija people don cast Teeh Teeh..

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Sonnobax15(m): 5:40pm On Sep 23, 2021
lipsrsealed
So this thing is rampant everywhere...

Here in warri,even you wey be brick layer must belong to one brick laying association....

Imagine the nonsense..... Problem for this country no dey finish........To see capital to take kick start your business na Problem self..

13 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by BruncleZuma: 5:40pm On Sep 23, 2021
It's illegal to force anyone to join a trade union or association, nah the guy brain no dey touch nah eem make him allow dem do any how.

12 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by dake40(m): 5:40pm On Sep 23, 2021
I think getting your business registered with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) will save you from this stress

38 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Typicalguy(m): 5:40pm On Sep 23, 2021
B
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by HRHQueenPhil(f): 5:40pm On Sep 23, 2021
TURNAROUND GREETINGS FAMILY!!!

Our Night Vigil prayer continuous this Friday 24th September ,2021 @ the AREA FACILITY OKOTA. Living Faith church winners chapel
Time :6-9pm.
Come and expect your turnaround testimony.
EMEZUE AMANZ PRINCE (AREA PST OKOTA)

3 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Sheuns(m): 5:41pm On Sep 23, 2021
R
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Vlibray: 5:41pm On Sep 23, 2021
freedom of association
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by codesport(m): 5:42pm On Sep 23, 2021
It's not always easy to start up an existing business in Nigeria especially in Southern part without joining association. Although it's possible to avoid those unproductive association(s) only if the nature of the business does not require special license(s) and you will be willing to do the needed things required to start up a genuine business whether small, medium or large scale). Now let's assume you are about to start up a laundry shop, car wash, tailoring, barbershop, welding and likes you can easily go to the CAC get your business name approved, check with your L.G. revenue department, and State revenue department once those people are settled my brother/sister just paste a photocopied documents received from those aforementioned agencies in your shop, fold your arms and await any scapegoat to deal with. But if you're going for such businesses that require special license(s) e.g. Gas station, Yogurt production, pure water, soap production etc you will have no option than to join the existing association else they will frustrate all your efforts either by conniving with law enforcement agency or coming in their numbers to assault you physically.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by dazzlingd(m): 5:44pm On Sep 23, 2021
Online business nko? Do they have associations?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by onyfor(m): 5:44pm On Sep 23, 2021
Better do the needful... It will save you time and energy.

3 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by paranorman(m): 5:46pm On Sep 23, 2021
No, except when require by law... When approached, you may decline but expect them to frustrate you or fight you if the opportunity presents itself,escpeically if you are doing well without them. Worse still, they fight your business spiritually and 'force' you to join them.. I know first and second persons who were affected or reported their challenges.

4 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Amalekki: 5:46pm On Sep 23, 2021
These are the types of discussion we should be serious about in Nigeria. Our leaders are products of our various communities where lots of injustice and crime prevail every day. Address these issues at the root by enlightening people instead of reinforcing these with stupid cliches and we might just have a chance at a brighter future as a people. Abuja is the disease, our communities are the early and late symptoms.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by dazzlingd(m): 5:47pm On Sep 23, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed

Here in warri,even you wey be brick layer must belong to one brick laying association....

Imagine the nonsense..... Problem for this country no dey finish........To see capital to take kick start your business na Problem self..

They do that to regulate the prices of their goods and services

7 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by schoolboymatt(m): 5:48pm On Sep 23, 2021
dangoteinlaw:
easier said online than done offline. That's how i wanted to cut my hair and they are took away the guy's gen. Smh

For wetin na grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Mutaultope(m): 5:49pm On Sep 23, 2021
joining is not the problem but you won't be able to control your pricing
They would be the one to tell you how you must sell this or that

They are one of the major problems Nigeria has

14 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Stubborngirl1: 5:50pm On Sep 23, 2021
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by McTominay(m): 5:51pm On Sep 23, 2021
Guy if u don't want to join, be ready for serious battle. For Sango ota, I can't speak for all areas, if you are not a member there are some things you can't sell ooo. It's that serious, with your own money distributors will always skip your shop. Very useless law

6 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by mbahdi(m): 5:51pm On Sep 23, 2021
My yoruba people comes to mind.even if na poo u dey sale.u go join association.koko(aka akamu) vegetable sales, fruits sales all get association.thumbs up to my ibo brethrens.nothing concern dem.u can do any business of ur choice without any body disturbing u to join any stupid association or get ur business locked up

10 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by ransomed: 5:51pm On Sep 23, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed

Ondo state government banned all associations forcing people to join in order to increase prices of goods and services.

5 Likes

Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by uuzba(m): 5:51pm On Sep 23, 2021
dake40:
I think getting your business registered with CAC will save you from this stress
Please kindly explain further..
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by bigdammyj: 5:51pm On Sep 23, 2021
In Naija, Yes
Re: Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? by Olumyco(m): 5:52pm On Sep 23, 2021
Register your business with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) with approximately N20k and you will be given a business name registration certificate. When the association/union people come, show them and stand your ground that your business is registered and you don't want to join any association. Tell them you are a company/firm registered by the Government. If they insist get your lawyer and go to court you will win.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Otudeko Vs. Otedola: First Bank Shareholders Lose ₦‎80.76bn, Shares Crumble / Dangote Inaugurates Mega Cement Warehouse In Owerri / MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.