Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have (1440 Views)

The Necessary Skill Set To Dubai, Canada,uk,. / As a Computer Engineering Student What Can I Do To Make Money Online / 5 Reasons Every Nigerian Student Should Join Linkedin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Cognitivereason: 6:05am On Sep 27, 2021
Hello fellow engineering students, graduate and practitioners..

Out of curiosity I want to know some of the basic and necessary skills every engineering student should work on acquiring in his/her field being it electrical, mechanical or civil..
As an electrical engineering student who is passionate about power...

I have been advised to take up lessons in AutoCAD, Revit and solid works..I have also been told to learn electronics and also try learning automation (PLC) with reputable training centres like AETI ..

I have also heard about PVsyt, ArchiCAD, PDMS ,autodesk inventor etc..how necessary are this and which of the engineers (mech, elect and civil) should show interest in one of this..

what Will u say about this and are there other things necessary to acquire...and also what will you say for the likes of civil and mechanical engineers and students...

In general what are the necessary skill an engineering student should learn outside school to ensure that he/she is employable and to avoid stories that touch..

Lastly can someone recommend good training centres to acquire some of this skills..
I tried researching about AETI for PLC training and it very expensive... I will be glad if any of us can recommend a cheaper alternative for automation PLC

Thanks in anticipation...

1 Like

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Emusan(m): 8:56am On Sep 27, 2021
As a Civil Engineer, you don't need to disturb yourself much on AutoCAD, Revit or ARCHICAD simply because it's for architectural drawing what you need most is Structural Design and Analysis package like Orion, ETAB, Staad pro or just anyone you know. Having knowledge on this alone is and added advantage. I once got a job offer ahead of a COREN certified simply because I can used Orion.

Then road design software especially the one that can accept survey data for geo-reference.

As a Mechanical Engineer, Autodesk and any other CAD design software are OK.

For Electrical/Electronics Engineer I won't say much on power because that's the major area many Nigeria electrical students channel their energy. Let's talk about Electronics, the first thing you should strive to achieve is PCB design using any EDA software. We're lacking behind as a nation when it comes to motherboard production, I don't know the reason for this sha.

Knowing how to design PCB will give you much knowledge especially how to read schematic diagram, understand datasheet and how complex cuicuit works.

I'm organizing an online workshop by next month on how one can be a good PCB design, read schematic diagram, understand datasheet e.t.c.

Check this thread out.

Also as a Civil Engineer I can use all aforementioned softwares including road & bridge design.

If you or any of your colleagues have interest kindly let me know, I can do some for free but others will be on charges.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Cognitivereason: 10:09am On Sep 27, 2021
Thank u for ur contribution...
I actually want to learn AutoCAD, solid works...then next Proteus.. Also want to learn electronics.. I believe I will be introduced to PCB designs and the likes... Then lastly automation PLC ...I actually want to focus on the power side on electrical engineering..

I will appreciate anymore advice
Emusan:
As a Civil Engineer, you don't need to disturb yourself much on AutoCAD, Revit or ARCHICAD simply because it's for architectural drawing what you need most is Structural Design and Analysis package like Orion, ETAB, Staad pro or just anyone you know. Having knowledge on this alone is and added advantage. I once got a job offer ahead of a COREN certified simply because I can used Orion.

Then road design software especially the one that can accept survey data for geo-reference.

As a Mechanical Engineer, Autodesk and any other CAD design software are OK.

For Electrical/Electronics Engineer I won't say much on power because that's the major area many Nigeria electrical students channel their energy. Let's talk about Electronics, the first thing you should strive to achieve is PCB design using any EDA software. We're lacking behind as a nation when it comes to motherboard production, I don't know the reason for this sha.

Knowing how to design PCB will give you much knowledge especially how to read schematic diagram, understand datasheet and how complex cuicuit works.

I'm organizing an online workshop by next month on how one can be a good PCB design, read schematic diagram, understand datasheet e.t.c.

Check this thread out.

Also as a Civil Engineer I can use all aforementioned softwares including road & bridge design.

If you or any of your colleagues have interest kindly let me know, I can do some for free but others will be on charges.

(1) (Reply)

Which Of The Project Management Certification Is Useful In Nigeria / Vacancy / Urgent: Adecco Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.