Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,402 members, 7,861,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:36 AM

Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... (807 Views)

How To Take Loan On Flypay App: Borrow Up To 700k / How To Successfully Get Loan On Renmoney Without A Collateral / How To Borrow And Pay Back Loan On Paylater (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Nobody: 8:14am On Sep 28, 2021
Thanks for checking in

This is more of a public service post to help both people who need financial help and those who want to help.

Before you ask for financial help on Nairaland, first make sure you put yourself in the shoes of the people who may want to help you.

Even if you are only asking for a gift, always remember that the money you are asking for could have been applied elsewhere

So give clear reasons why you think the money should be given to you instead.

And if you are asking for a loan, give clear SOLID security to assure your creditors that they can at least get back their initial capital.

Avoid the increasingly common ungrateful attitude of avoiding paying back where people say things like:

"Senior man, you pass this money na. Can't you just forget this money?"

OR

"It's not my fault that the business didn't work. I did my best. All business is a risk, and your money has gone with the risk. Daz all"

Such ingratitude makes it difficult for people to help others who may genuinely need help

And you investors, before you help someone, please feel free to ask questions to make sure you are putting your money in the right place.

Don't get fazed if the person you want to help starts getting an "attitude" like

"Ol'boy, these your JAMB questions too dey plenty. If you wan help, help jare!"

Better to clear all possible doubts than to become yet another "stories-that-touch" thread.

Thanks again for reading

4 Likes

Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by thesicilian: 8:16am On Sep 28, 2021
Thanks bro, you nailed it on every point.
I once invited a Nairalander who needed loan of about 200k+ for one agricultural business like that to meet me at restaurant so we could talk. He came with a bunch of rough, non specific photocopied papers. I could understand the need to protect your original documents from theft or loss, so I asked him if I could get to see them later on, don't mind even coming down to his office or farm to see them, he said I could only see them after transferring the money. I let that slide.
When I started asking him other questions like how long he has been doing the business, the exact nature of the business (poultry farm? Crops? etc) he flared up and said such details could only be shared after investing! Needless to say I politely told him I was no longer interested. It's one thing to keep the exact nature of your business secret on a public forum like Nairaland, but doing the same when sitting face to face with a potential investor, that's just a no-go area.

3 Likes

Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Klass99(f): 8:18am On Sep 28, 2021
smiley
Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 8:23am On Sep 28, 2021
Word!
Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Kobicove(m): 8:32am On Sep 28, 2021
Very well said!
Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by illicit(m): 8:53am On Sep 28, 2021
I need a loan
Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by NairalandAngel(m): 9:01am On Sep 28, 2021
Do not provide financing for a business out of pity or based on sentiments.

If you must give out money you cannot afford to loose make sure you first ask for a good collateral
Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Inspiration007: 10:14am On Sep 28, 2021
grin

Of course they do. Sometime last year somebody on here decides to give just #5k to some people and they will repay her in a month's time or so. While most of them complied, one moniker (Adaorajoy) defaulted.

Even though she got #10k instead of #5k (The OP mistakenly sent her twice) She deactivated her account and disappeared. I think she's masquerading with a new account right now. Here is a link to the thread https://www.nairaland.com/6058513/what-5k-within-28days

Klass99:
Nice one.

But, do people actually give loans to strangers on this forum?

What's the guarantee that the data they (loan applicants) provide about themselves is even accurate to begin with?
Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Klass99(f): 10:45am On Sep 28, 2021
smiley
Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 28, 2021
thesicilian:
Thanks bro, you nailed it on every point.
I once invited a Nairalander who needed loan of about 200k+ for one agricultural business like that to meet me at restaurant so we could talk. He came with a bunch of rough, non specific photocopied papers. I could understand the need to protect your original documents from theft or loss, so I asked him if I could get to see them later on, don't mind even coming down to his office or farm to see them, he said I could only see them after transferring the money. I let that slide.
When I started asking him other questions like how long he has been doing the business, the exact nature of the business (poultry farm? Crops? etc) he flared up and said such details could only be shared after investing! Needless to say I politely told him I was no longer interested. It's one thing to keep the exact nature of your business secret on a public forum like Nairaland, but doing the same when sitting face to face with a potential investor, that's just a no-go area.

Thanks for your kind words

You were wise to avoid falling for the "if-you-want-to-help-me-help-me" gimmick.

Maybe more people need to be educated on the time value of money.

The fact that one has some spare funds available doesn't mean he should throw it into any "deal" that comes along.

You're better off giving your spare change to a local orphanage near you than to some "desperate" fellow who doesn't want to share his business idea clearly

Thanks again
Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Incips: 12:11pm On Sep 28, 2021
Agree
Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Inspiration007: 12:26pm On Sep 28, 2021
grin

I felt real bad for the rest who couldn't get tge loan as a result of one bad egg. Since then, any moniker that has Adaora attached to it becomes a suspect lol.
I.e Adaorababy

The closest
Klass99:

Lol grin.

I am not surprised at the way Adaorajoy behaved, all the times I have jammed threads relating to money or giveaways, I read about rogues like her misbehaving after money has exchanged hands. Of course, she will return with a new moniker and may use a friend or relative's bank account in her next heist.

1 Like

Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Klass99(f): 2:16pm On Sep 28, 2021
smiley

1 Like

Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 01, 2021
Klass99:
Nice one.

But, do people actually give loans to strangers on this forum?

What's the guarantee that the data they (loan applicants) provide about themselves is even accurate to begin with?

Thanks for your kind words

Frankly, there is no guarantee. That's part of the risk involved.

You'll just have to do your due diligence and try to get as much security as you can upfront.
Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Nobody: 1:04pm On Oct 01, 2021
Kobicove:
Very well said!

Thanks
Re: Before You Ask For A Loan On Nairaland... by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 01, 2021
NairalandAngel:
Do not provide financing for a business out of pity or based on sentiments.

If you must give out money you cannot afford to loose make sure you first ask for a good collateral

Preach!

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari To Participate In Investment Summit In Riyadh, Saudi Arabia / Any Apps To Save Money? / Share Certificate Problem?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.