Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,642 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves (5596 Views)

History Of Nigerians Leaving Nigeria In Droves. / How Young Nigerians Are Investing To Leave The Country / Family Involved In A Fatal Accident At Police Checkpoint, Officers Flee. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by Tokotaya: 11:29pm On Sep 28, 2021
Microsecondnews Reporter 2 mins read

‘Japa’: Young Nigerians flood Twitter with pictures of their ‘escape' from Nigeria

Young Nigerians have been flooding Twitter with pictures showing them leaving the country for good in search of a better life elsewhere.

‘Japa’, slang for ‘escape’, or ‘run’ has been trending on the top 10 topics on Twitter for at least three consecutive days. It is at number 2 at the time of filing this report. It has garnered over 44,000 tweets.

The trend is basically tweets of Nigerians sharing their picture at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, the airport of their host countries, or inflight with captions saying that they have successfully escaped from Nigeria.

Some simply post their international passport with their boarding pass accompanied by an iconic picture of the famous actress, Sola Sobowale holding out a glass of wine with the caption “Welcome to the new dispensation’.

Microsecondnews’ checks across Twitter indicated that the Sobowale picture has been used so often that it has become the number one Japa meme.

Others simply tweet that they have now officially deleted their VPN, in an apparent reference to the Twitter ban in Nigeria which has made it necessary for whoever wants to use Twitter in the country to download and install VPN applications.

Once outside Nigeria, they have no use for the VPN any longer.

Some commentators remarked that a majority of those leaving at this time are students travelling in time for the commencement of the September academic session in the United Kingdom and other countries.

One commentator claimed that the last time Nigeria experienced this mass exodus of Nigerian youths was when Muhammadu Buhari was in power as a military Head of State, and it took the administration of Olusegun Obasanjo to lure them back with a promise of a better Nigeria.

@Emmanuel_Uche tweeted: “This thread about people that japa yesterday is crazy because, I and my madam officially stopped using VPN yesterday as well!” He included a picture of himself and his wife at the airport.

@Omar_Magajee: I done japa leave sapa for una. #Japa #Japa He included a picture of his international passport and his hand luggage.

@Mbahdeyforyou: “Leaders of tomorrow dun dey japa”

Uncle iNi: “Behold Sola Sobowale to the world as the New Japa Brand Ambassador. It is indeed a new dispensation, Goodbye to VPN.”

@Sujodamystique: “It’s September, schools just resumed. Most of the japa pics you’re seeing are students. 100% of those going to the UK. They have just spent huge money on fees etc to begin a new life. It’s going to be a tough first few years for them. No need for all this bitterness against them.”

@nnekei: “If you did not contribute to putting Buhari in Aso Rock in 2015 & 2019 and you are on the Japa trend God go open doors for you and the Japa go favour you in every way.”

@Odogwu_Nomso: “October 2020 triggered a lot of people to give up on Nigeria then the “Twitter Ban” basically sealed any plans they had to continue staying in Nigeria. All the Japa Set of 2021, go & Prosper in your New Country”

@PetfemSpeaks: “Since we’re talking about japa, this was my flight to Houston, TX. I refuse to sleep in my
https://microsecondnews.com/index.php/2021/09/28/japa-young-nigerians-flood-twitter-with-pictures-of-their-escape-from-nigeria/
@Davidbanksz was motivational. He said: “It’s JAPA season! I know say money dey dull you right now but no worry too much, that big miracle is nearer than you think.”

5 Likes

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by ahnie: 11:37pm On Sep 28, 2021
Life in naija is hard mehn.as it's doing me now...I fit stowaway inside plane just to japa from naija.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by IfIPerishIPeris: 11:42pm On Sep 28, 2021
In this crazy somersaulting world, is Japa really the answer?
Befor you japa, do well to seek God's face and ensure that God approves of your Japa.

If not , you may japa inside Volcano, Fire, Earthquake, Seaquake, pestilences and Disaters beyond what is prevalent where you are running from.

Japa is good , but japa with the presence of God.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by chukwuibuipob: 11:44pm On Sep 28, 2021
undecided
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by Galaxyroyp(m): 11:54pm On Sep 28, 2021
Japanese

1 Like

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by ednut1(m): 12:00am On Sep 29, 2021
IfIPerishIPeris:
Befor you japa, do well to seek God's face and ensure that God approves of your Japa.

If not , you may japa inside Volcano, Fire, Earthquake, Seaquake, pestilences and Disaters beyond what is prevalent where you are running from.

religious extremism is a disease

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by Nobody: 1:14am On Sep 29, 2021
Japa is ah sure bet.
Those wet don Japa sold be there brothers keepers oh. As a guy, hook up with local babe and marry like wise for the babes.
We move...
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by kushercain: 3:04am On Sep 29, 2021
this brain drain na next 10-20 years Naija go really feel am. That time maybe skilled professionals no go remain again na agbero go choke everywhere. Na to japa still sure pass laidis

7 Likes

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by TUANKU(m): 5:50am On Sep 29, 2021
IfIPerishIPeris:

Religious zombie spotted.

10 Likes

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by habeeb246(m): 5:57am On Sep 29, 2021
Join n g soon

1 Like

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 6:10am On Sep 29, 2021
IfIPerishIPeris:
[s]In this crazy somersaulting world, is Japa really the answer?

Japa is good , but japa with the presence of God.[/s]
Go and sit down my friend.

10 Likes

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 6:12am On Sep 29, 2021
ahnie:
Life in naija is hard mehn.as it's doing me now...I fit stowaway inside plane just to japa from naija.
The way everybody dey japa, e be like say na only bandits, bokoharams and kidnappers go remain in 20 years time cheesy

2 Likes

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by Connected1: 7:21am On Sep 29, 2021
Where do we start amendments from.

Everyone is traveling out and to be sincere, most of these travellers are actually intelligent people that we need in this country.

The braindrain is becoming too much.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by iamtardey: 7:25am On Sep 29, 2021
ahnie:
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by Gadafii: 7:53am On Sep 29, 2021
God wey do am for them go do am for us too, make we leave this country for them sad

The useless leaders and the wicked terrorists

8 Likes

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by Gadafii: 7:57am On Sep 29, 2021
IfIPerishIPeris:

you dey ment, u go perish that perish u wan perish so

Did you ask your leaders to seek face of God when they japa to abroad to use their better health care system, mumu like you.

As far as I am concerned, anywhere outside this cow ranch is okay, even my guys when japa go Kenya, are now living with both of their eyes closed and no fear of police brutality, nothing like start bullets hit person, no sars to obtain them, they live in a comfortable environment,no noise, no drama.

Once again u dey mad

8 Likes

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by siofra(f): 8:02am On Sep 29, 2021
I pity my country. cry
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by Shaolin77: 8:21am On Sep 29, 2021
The sweetness of leaving this country no be here o

5 Likes

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by EgunMogaji2: 8:37am On Sep 29, 2021
Some have also been caught 'japa'ing" from Lagos to Ibadan inside #BuhariTrain grin

I love Nigerians, we just dey cruise go.

1 Like

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by esky158(m): 9:28am On Sep 29, 2021
Country hard if dis bubu government don tire u bro follow who known road japa me self de plan to japa through Sahara desert cous cash no dey hand
That line for national anthem way I talk said to serve Nigeria with all my strength. Abeg make who na help me tell them said I no do again oooo i don tire
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by R3v3n4nt: 10:20am On Sep 29, 2021
Reminds one of the song : Niger bridge is falling down
At this point sef I don't know what can save this "country."
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by RodgersAkpafu: 10:41am On Sep 29, 2021
The mass exodus continues
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by RodgersAkpafu: 10:42am On Sep 29, 2021
esky158:
Country hard if dis bubu government don tire u bro follow who known road japa me self de plan to japa through Sahara desert cous cash no dey hand
That line for national anthem way I talk said to serve Nigeria with all my strength. Abeg make who na help me tell them said I no do again oooo i don tire
Dont you think that route is rather risky ?
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by CheedyJ(m): 11:40am On Sep 29, 2021
Better people dey Japa leaving behind street urchins, the future of Nigeria looks scary and really bleak...if only satan can beg God for forgiveness, who knows...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by revived: 12:46pm On Sep 29, 2021
Be like sae me sef go move ooo
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by okoIYAyin(m): 1:03pm On Sep 29, 2021
kushercain:
this brain drain na next 10-20 years Naija go really feel am. That time maybe skilled professionals no go remain again na agbero go choke everywhere. Na to japa still sure pass laidis

You're totally wrong bro! There will always be millions of skilled professionals in the country, no be today people don dey japa, your grand-daddies and daddies did the same and nothing spoil!

1 Like

Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by arthurwillia(m): 1:45pm On Sep 29, 2021
Omo
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by uchman(m): 2:43pm On Sep 29, 2021
Best thread of the year.
If you no JAPA, dey there make pant dey wear you.
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by Treasure17(m): 2:49pm On Sep 29, 2021
My Japa story is inevitable. This I have seen.
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by MufasaLion: 4:07pm On Sep 29, 2021
IfIPerishIPeris:

Dumbo! Go and tell that to your clerics.
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by tommy589(m): 7:33pm On Sep 29, 2021
We are experiencing the new "Andrew" can't blame them
Re: ‘japa’: Young Nigerians Posts Pix On Twitter As They Flee In Droves by Generalwoodz(m): 7:50pm On Sep 29, 2021
Since we are way more than 2million people here on naira land, Why don't we gather money and buy at least a Boeing 777 Aeroplane

Sapa is ruthlessly biting and painfully dealing hard on the majority here, and it's not getting any better rather with each dawn comes new troubles.

Why can't we just gather 'small small' money and buy an Airplane?

When we finally buys the plane, we'd then employ the services of naira land celebrated painters to repaint and artistically Inscribe bodily "NAIRALANDERS CHECKS OUT" on it.

Now, to the big question; How do we gather the money? Who would be our pilot?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Your Accent:do You Think It Makes People Judge You Unfairly? / Denmark Travel / Jacky Hathiramani Bags Platinum Excellence Leadership Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.