Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? (1968 Views)

Nwankwo Kanu Excites Fans In New Movie / Any Dr. Who fans in the house? / Any Star Wars Fans in the house? I have episode 3 Spoilers! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by Jayboy124: 9:39pm On May 28, 2011
Look at the movies below and answer the follow questions.

If you were a film maker, are you most likely to make such movies?

Do you really understand those movies?

Are they your favourite movies?

Have tried to find people, especially girls, who share same taste for movies but have just met about four or so.

Notting Hill
Million Dollar Baby
Crazy Heart
Juno
Scent of a Woman
Sex, Lies and Videotapes
Little Miss Sunshine
Social Network
Shakespeare in Love
The Reader
Revolutionary Road
Gentleman's Agreement
The Lost Weekend
Oh Brother, Where art thou
Love and other Drugs
Gran Torino
Love Actually
About a Boy
Greenberg
My Blueberry Nights
3 Idiots(Bollywood)
Reloaded (Nollywood)
Forrest Gump
The Best Years of our Lives
Unforgiven(1992)
An Education
Lost in Translation
Rocky
Tsotsi(South African)
The Wrestler
Reign Over Me
Heat
The Godfather Trilogy
Saving Private Ryan
Cold Mountain
We Were Soldiers
The Fighter
Shawshank Redemption
Slumdog Millionaire
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by iice(f): 10:49am On May 29, 2011
I'd watch over half.
I don't like oldies, so i don't watch them.  I rarely watch Bollywood unless its really really something i find interesting and I don't watch Nollywood.  I also don't like musicals.  Will only torture myself if Johnny Depp is in it grin  Yes i sat through Sweeney Todd even if i felt like ripping out my nails.
I find a few overrated.  See. . .Juno, Social Network, Forrest Gump.
I love Eastwood, Aronofsky and the Coen Brothers, so i always watch their movies.
Some movies have an actress/actor i don't like so i have to work up to it, if i ever decide to watch it.
If i was a filmmaker. . .i'd prolly have a touch of Aronofsky and Thomas Newman's musical vibe.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by Jayboy124: 11:08am On May 29, 2011
Oldies, love watching the very good ones.

On Bollywood and Nollywood, when a movie gets good reviews, I watch or if the trailer impresses me.

Musicals, I love them. Basically grew up watching them along classic Bollywood films so really addicted to them.

Since Unforgiven, I've loved everything Eastwood has done that I've seen. Woody Allen too's the man. Coen brothers too but haven't seen much of their films but my fave has to be Oh Brother.

Aronofsky - wrestler's fantastic and Black Swan too.

You got a nice taste for movies. Love that. But you gotta try see Bollywood films and Nollywood films with good reveiws shah, lol.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by Jayboy124: 1:54pm On May 29, 2011
Just went through Thomas Newman's credits after your reply. He's got very impressive stuff there, most of my fave movies are there.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by obinna5000(m): 3:25pm On May 29, 2011
@iice aka Johnny Depp's virtual wife  cheesy
I watch oldies a lot especially the ones that are very good.\

You can check out Thomas Newman's score in a recent film like "The Adjustment Bureau" and the upcoming films like "The Debt" and "The Help".

@Jayboy124
Your list is not bad. I like most them.

But If I were a filmmaker, I'll have a touch of Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino (BLOOD) [size=3pt]just kidding[/size]  cheesy  grin and Hans Zimmer or Thomas Newman's musical scores.

I wonder why Thomas Newman hasn't won an Academy (Oscar) Award yet. undecided
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by Jayboy124: 3:45pm On May 29, 2011
Glad some people are understanding my list now. Glad you do oldies too. I seem to be the only one who doesn't pay attention to sound in film.

I guess your fave genre'll be action then?
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by obinna5000(m): 5:09pm On May 29, 2011
@Jayboy124
I don't have any favorite genre of films. As long as the film is interesting, I'm cool with it.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by iice(f): 11:58am On May 30, 2011
Jayboy124:

Oldies, love watching the very good ones.

On Bollywood and Nollywood, when a movie gets good reviews, I watch or if the trailer impresses me.

Musicals, I love them. Basically grew up watching them along classic Bollywood films so really addicted to them.

Since Unforgiven, I've loved everything Eastwood has done that I've seen. Woody Allen too's the man. Coen brothers too but haven't seen much of their films but my fave has to be Oh Brother.

Aronofsky - wrestler's fantastic and Black Swan too.

You got a nice taste for movies. Love that. But you gotta try see Bollywood films and Nollywood films with good reveiws shah, lol.

Don't like sporadic singings in my movies.  So Bollywood is not for me. 
Nollywood. . .not even threatened with death. 
With regards to the Coen Brothers, you should see The LadyKillers (One of the few movies Tom Hanks impressed me.  Very different from his usual characters)
If you haven't seen Fargo, try to see it.
One of my favorite movies of theirs is The man who wasn't there starring Billy Bob Thorton.  Cinematography is fantastic.  If you're not into their kind of movies, you'd find it boring.  And finally No Country for old men which has one of my most favorite characters ever ~ Anton Chigurh cheesy

For Aronofsky. . .The fountain which is kinda visual stunning but a bit hard to grasp.
Requiem for a dream. . .another movie i like.

As for Thomas Newman. . .he has the melodramatic/depression thing down.  In Revolutionary Road, aswerigawd, this one song had a life of it's own.  It was like one of the characters for me.

@Obinna
Yeah i was thinking of QT since i like all his chopping techniques tongue   
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by obinna5000(m): 12:14pm On May 30, 2011
@iice
Also check out 'Millers Crossing' and 'O Brother where art thou' from the Coen brothers as well.

With 'Super 8' and 'The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn' coming out this year, Steven Spielberg has to redeem himself from the shame caused by the 2008 Indiana Jones film. cheesy
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by iice(f): 12:17pm On May 30, 2011
Super 8 is a JJ Abrams movie. Spielberg is only producing it.
Erhhh i've seen oh brother. Haven't seen Miller's crossing though i don't like gangster movies but i see it has two of my favorite people - John Turturro cheesy and Gabriel Byrne
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by obinna5000(m): 12:37pm On May 30, 2011
@iice
I know Spielberg is producing 'Super 8'. It will serve as a moment of redemption. No F ups. grin
I loved J.J. Abrams' 2009 reboot Star Trek. smiley So, lets see how 'Super 8' goes.

'Super 8' hits U.S. theaters on June 10 2011.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by Jayboy124: 12:45pm On May 30, 2011
Sporadic singing's kinda something me love oh. Musicals aint my fave genre but love them so much.

Nollywood's still learning, maybe they've been learning slowly but trust there a few good movies yearly. Jozi Kings and Ije both impressed me last year and this year.

Have seen Fargo, love it. No Country for Old Men too, love that too. Think it won them best directing Oscar. But still, Oh Brother, Where Art Though is my fave Coen movie so far.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by obinna5000(m): 1:01pm On May 30, 2011
@Jayboy124
Nollywood's learning process is extremely slow. The process is not even as fast as a snail's speed. undecided

No Country for Old Men also won Best Picture at the Oscars.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by iice(f): 1:53pm On May 30, 2011
obinna5000:

@iice
I know Spielberg is producing 'Super 8'. It will serve as a moment of redemption. No F ups. grin
I loved J.J. Abrams' 2009 reboot Star Trek. smiley So, lets see how 'Super 8' goes.

'Super 8' hits U.S. theaters on June 10 2011.

I don't see how it can serve as redemption since it's neither his directing or piece that is being done undecided.

Jayboy124:

Sporadic singing's kinda something me love oh. Musicals aint my fave genre but love them so much.

Nollywood's still learning, maybe they've been learning slowly but trust there a few good movies yearly. Jozi Kings and Ije both impressed me last year and this year.

Have seen Fargo, love it. No Country for Old Men too, love that too. Think it won them best directing Oscar. But still, Oh Brother, Where Art Though is my fave Coen movie so far.
Did you say yearly?
Nah Nollywood is not for me. If i didn't find it interesting @ 5 years old, i won't be finding it at my 66yrs now tongue
It's more than just producing a good cinematic release for me. I love everything about movies. The whole 9 yards. So you see why i'm not feeling it.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by obinna5000(m): 2:18pm On May 30, 2011
@iice
The producer is also a part of the film. He may not be directing but he's still involved in the film making process one way or another.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by iice(f): 2:28pm On May 30, 2011
We are not talking about him knowing what the script is like or who should be on the set at what time etc.
So redemption for him is not in the question.  Being a JJ Abram's movie, it's bound to be fantastic so SS part in it as being successful is a none issue.
However on the movie itself, the script is of Abrams and so is the directing.  The focus is the quality of the scripted and its translation to motion picture.  Abrams has nothing to redeem himself for so far.  SS being more known as a director and a writer, if he redeems himself it would be with Tintin in which we are more concerned with how he directed it and not how he produced it.

I need a movie. Dang
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by obinna5000(m): 3:05pm On May 30, 2011
@iice
I understand everything you have been saying all this time. But my point is that the producer is still involved even though he/she is not writing or directing the film.

Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson will be producing Tintin. Spielberg directs. But Tintin is still 7 months away, so 'SUPER 8'. Let's see the magic of J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg on June 10 hopefully. wink
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by Vieira(m): 3:53pm On May 30, 2011
Spielberg's mojo is long gone.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by iice(f): 3:07am On May 31, 2011
obinna5000:

@iice
I understand everything you have been saying all this time. But my point is that the producer is still involved even though he/she is not writing or directing the film.

Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson will be producing Tintin. Spielberg directs. But Tintin is still 7 months away, so 'SUPER 8'. Let's see the magic of J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg on June 10 hopefully. wink

You obviously don't since you've moved on from the point of redemption to the point of being a producer.

Vieira, haba i don't think so.
Although he has a TV show in the works. . .it's kinda reminiscent of Jurassic Park
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by obinna5000(m): 6:18am On May 31, 2011
iice:

You obviously don't since you've moved on from the point of redemption to the point of being a producer.

Vieira, haba i don't think so.
Although he has a TV show in the works. . .it's kinda reminiscent of Jurassic Park

@iice
Madam Johnny Depp, Lets just see whether Steven Spielberg still got the magic. Simple. cheesy
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by iice(f): 12:00pm On May 31, 2011
For a bot maybe.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by obinna5000(m): 1:05pm On May 31, 2011
iice:

For a bot maybe.

@iice
Madam Johnny Depp, na your wahala be dat. cheesy
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by iice(f): 2:00pm On May 31, 2011
Apparently. . . .not.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by Jayboy124: 5:48pm On Jun 02, 2011
SS only needs to sit on the director's chair to redeem himself. Producing 10 movies can't do much.

True Grit is my fave Coen Brothers movie now.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by obinna5000(m): 7:12pm On Jun 02, 2011
The Best of The Coen Brothers:
- Miller's Crossing (1990)
- Fargo (1996)
- O' Brother, Where art thou? (2000)
- No Country for Old Men (2007)
- True Grit (2010)

Early reviews for 'Super 8' have been positive so far.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by Jayboy124: 7:18pm On Jun 02, 2011
Have seen all Coen films you mentioned except Miller's Crossing. Very good movies.

Saw Super 8 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes or so. The last Pirates scored very low but still did well at box office. Midnight in Paris scored 90+ percent but still to appear in box office.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by iice(f): 2:47am On Jun 03, 2011
I wanna see Melancholia. Don't like Kirsten Dunst but my 2nd hubby is there.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by obinna5000(m): 6:09am On Jun 03, 2011
@Jayboy124
'Midnight in Paris' is currently showing at U.S. cinemas.

@iice
Madam Alexander Skarsgard, cheesy 'Melancholia' hits U.S. theaters by November 2011.
The film premiered at this year's Cannes film festival and its currently showing in Denmark. undecided
I'll put it in my 'want to see' list. wink
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by Jayboy124: 11:30am On Jun 20, 2012
How did the crazy sweet movie ramblings end? loooooooool.
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by sholay2011(m): 8:03pm On Jun 20, 2012
I love kate winslet nd leo in revolutionary road...such a sadistic movie
Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by Jayboy124: 10:51pm On Jun 20, 2012
sholay2011: I love kate winslet nd leo in revolutionary road...such a sadistic movie

That movie was very good. Such a contrast to their lovey-dovey Titanic union. Turns out Kate's character died this time around from abortion and not cold.

Guess The Reader really didn't help the film shah.

1 Like

Re: Any Real 'artie' Movie Fans In Nigeria? by sholay2011(m): 2:07am On Jun 21, 2012
Jayboy, u re totally right. I rily lyk kate...v talented.,,six oscar nominatns at 33! V commendable. Am lukin forward to her new movie- labor day nd dt of leo- django unchained.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Netflix!!!!! / The Cast Of Metal Gear Solid Movie? / African Tales Showing At Silverbird Cinemas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.