Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,585 members, 7,812,911 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

Pills S01E01: My Dyslexia Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Pills S01E01: My Dyslexia Story (353 Views)

Pills & Chills: A Short Story / Amnesic Pills... (psy' Ladies Series Book 1) / Wisdom Pills For Singles! (marriage Guide) Vol. 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pills S01E01: My Dyslexia Story by Wordsmith001: 12:01pm On Sep 30, 2021
Pills S01E01: My Dyslexia Story

My name is Johnson, First Born in a family of Four. Me and my family lives in Ibadan City. A decent home in Ibadan. I was 11 when I entered secondary school, throughout my primary school days I was always battling with reading and understanding.

The teachers will tell me I am an outstanding student but my report card says otherwise. I am always at the forefront of any activity, in terms of sports, entertainment or even practicals for science. But Reading and understanding is a very big problem for me. No one knew where the problem is for me, my siblings are way smarter. They get the good grades in school, they come back home looking happy. I come back home with my report card behind my back. My Mom was never a fan of my failure, she would lock me in the room beat the hell out of me, My dad won't say a word he would just urge me to be better. My Mom will say words like "Look at your siblings they are way smarter than you".

Anytime she says this right in front of them I feel so ashamed of myself. There was a time I brought my report card home, as usual my mom was going through it when one of her friends knocked on the door. She quickly squeezed the report card inside my bag and told me to hide it. As young as I was then I knew what this meant, I wept.

I know I am not dumb, in fact when it comes to the most Creative student in our set. I am by no doubt the most Creative. I try to read very hard. But it doesn't seem to stay for long. I just read like it's a story book nothing is staying up there.

In 2007, I wrote my common entrance, I have never been more prepared my whole life. I read overnight everyday just to make everyone at home proud. I wrote the exam and to God be the glory I came out in flying colours. The whole family was happy. It got to me again that if my siblings were the ones with a good result, it is normal but once it's me, they throw a party.

Then I got admission into a private secondary school, A boarding house school. And this is where it all began.

Firstly, the secondary school system is far more complex than the primary school. Nobody forces you to read. It is a Boarding school, to an extent you have so much freedom.

Swiftly, I joined a music band in school. I became so popular very fast all over the school. I had two best friends Bolu and Tico. We composed songs for people's entertainment and sometimes we get paid by some people to compose a birthday song for another person. I quickly earned the Nick Name Senior. Even though I was in JSS1 then. My stage name was Senior. So everyone called me Senior.

Days passed on, our band became more popular. Me, Bolu and Tico were doing good till, Exam came. Our Band always do almost everything together. But there is one thing we don't do together. We don't read together. Bolu and Tico were guys that doesn't care about reading, they just prefer making themselves happy and making others happy. They read only when it's Exam period.

So, Examination came and as expected. I Failed Woefully!. Bolu and Tico did well on an average. But I was way below average. My teacher told me to buckle up if not I will repeat that class. I went home again with the same usual "red" result. This time my Mom was so furious she uncontrollably said more than words to me. I have never felt more like a Failure before. The most emotional part was when my siblings gathered around me to console me after I entered my room crying. Still, my Dad won't say a word.

I resumed 2nd term and told everyone I am no more part of the band. People were so dissapointed. Because truly, I was the life of the band then. I told them it's affecting my studies and I want to start moving with the ones that are the best academically in our class. Definitely everybody will want a starboy in their clique, I was very popular so everyone would want to be seeing with me. So I met Donald and Christy. Donald and Christy were the brightest in our set.

Christy was also the most beautiful girl in our set too. They agreed to always take me along when it's time for them to study and they will teach me what I don't know. I was very happy and indeed I had a new clique.

Bolu and Tico were not so happy with this new development because surely it will affect the brand. And they will surely miss me too. I missed them too but I want to pass. I just want to PASS!.

So as time goes on, Donald and Christy would always call me to class we will read, make jokes and continue reading again. I read a lot like this Time I must pass and go home with a lot of confidence.

Christy was a very sweet girl she would wrap my head under her arms whenever I got a test or assignment correctly. Christy was so beautiful that it also became a distraction. I started catching feelings.

You laughed too? Same way I am also laughing right now. Me and Christy started becoming more close, Donald noticed and told me what I was up to. I told him nothing, we were just close. Then Exam period came, I didn't want to ask Christy out because of the Exam. It would be foolish of me to ask her out during Exam period so I was waiting for Exam to finish. Finally, Examinations ended. But I wasn't opportuned to see Christy, she quickly left school and went home on the last day of Exam.

After some weeks our results were ready. And it's time for holiday again. Me and Donald went to collect our result, the class teacher blasted Donald right in front of me. She said "What is your problem Donald, who have you been moving with, your last term result is way better than this rubbish". I felt so embarrassed. It was like a volcano erupting on my skin. I collected my result. And guess what? It was not as bad as the first term, but it was nothing short of the first term. It was Bad!!!. Donald also dropped massively, Same as Christy. I felt like the devil bringing these people down. I couldn't really forgive myself. The same way I was thinking of this, I was also thinking of how to face my Mom at home when I leave school. Thoughts of killing myself started playing in.

I got home, my result was checked. But to my very big surprise. My Mom just ignored it and continued what she was doing. She didn't even scold me, she just left me and asked what I would like to have for dinner. Oh My God! Is this my Mom? Am I dreaming? I was so confused. My siblings were very happy to see me. My dad told me "How was school, you did better, continue doing better". And that was it. I was very happy.

We resumed the third term, and as usual. It's nice seeing my friends again. But from their end it looked like it's not nice seeing me.

Donald always avoided me, Christy came to me straight and told me she can't move with me again because she dropped in grades and it's because I have nothing to offer, they were offering the most. So she won't move with me again. Donald couldn't say this to my face but found every way to avoid me. Thank God I didn't ask Christy out. I would have gotten the embarrassment of my life.

I was so dissapointed at myself and very broken at the same time. Christy told everybody the reason why she won't move with me anymore. She actually told everyone I was a failure and I was trying to inflict Donald and her with it. So, the whole school knew I was a failure, I might repeat that class and I am not that popular senior anymore. I was all alone.

As a kid, thoughts of Suicide ran through my mind. I would always soak at the edge of an empty class every evening. Nobody cared. I was quickly moving towards depression but as kids what do we know?, We are just sad. We didn't know how dangerous this could be. At that dangerous point where I wanted to just call it quit, Bolu and Tico came in. They noticed I have left the Donald clique and I was a loner. They came to me, cracked jokes with me and asked me what really happened. I explained to them, and I couldn't control the tears. They came to me, comforted me and told me to just keep trying. Then I knew it's not a matter of who knows best, it's a matter of who can really take you along.

I knew there was no way I could make good grades by reading, so Bolu and Tico assured me everything will be fine. We got back together. But this time in a bad way, we sang together again, did everything together, and guess what? We did Exam Malpractice together too.

Malpractice is not good, it's very bad. But at that point I had no other option I wouldn't leave JSS1 if I don't break the rules. I was so young then, I didn't even know what Dyslexia means. So I believed I was so so dumb that I can't be successful.

Malpractice made me get the best grades of my life. Thank God for Bolu and Tico in my life. Teachers called me and encouraged me, they were so happy with my recent development. Bolu and Tico were also very happy with this. But we didn't do it in the right way. But at least I am now doing great academically.

When I got home, My dad was very happy. He hugged and pulled me into his corner to pray for me. My Mom was also very happy. My dad told My Mom "I told you not to always scold the poor child, the only time you didn't scold him see what he did". I was there feeling like Malpractice is the best thing that ever happened to me.

I felt like a king for a moment, then from that time on. Malpractice was the norm. Me Bolu and Tico were the formidable team. We had one of the best results. It surprised everyone how we came to this. We intensified more on our brand. And we became wildly popular. To God be the Glory I didn't repeat that class thanks to Malpractice.

When I got to JSS3, I got caught. It was the most embarrassing day of my life. My self esteem vanished, I became a laughing stock. Bolu and Tico were very confused. The Principal didn't know what to say when he got the news. I was a very lovely student. Nobody expected that.

My parents were invited. And they were given two options. A suspension or Fine. My parents withdrew me from the school totally not taking any of the options. Then took me to see a therapist. It was then I first heard of the word Dyslexia. Dyslexia is a disorder characterized by difficulty in learning. Of every Five kids in a family at least one suffers from Dyslexia. It is very common among us. But only few know about this. I was told to have intense tutoring and close mentorship, because Dyslexia can only be managed.

I am in my Final year in the university today. I suffered from Dyslexia but one way or the other I am here. Many Mocked me through the journey, some even called me a Failure. But right now I have a very popular student musical brand in Ibadan. I make cool money off this brand and still do averagely well academically.

This is my Dyslexia Story. You can be suffering from Dyslexia. But know you are not a Failure. You are still as smart as anyone. You are still creative. Don't let their laughs end you. End them with your own laughter.

Visit our YouTube Channel: Timmywrites Inc...

To view our documentary on Dyslexia follow this link, please drop a comment and subscribe. Thank You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y21jc4IwXWY

#Timmywrites Inc...
#Wordsmith001
#Pills

Certified Author: Ayeni Timilehin Ayomide.

(1) (Reply)

Sinking In Regret / Sketch 79 Mac Crack / Two Hundred Thousand Feet Under The Sea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.