Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,772 members, 7,855,276 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 05:37 PM

Advice Needed - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice Needed (702 Views)

Want To Quit My Job. Advice Needed Urgently / Not Been Paid For 22 Months Now; Expert Advice Needed / School And Work At The Same Time. How Feasible? Advice Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed by TYglobal: 12:11am On Oct 06, 2021
Hello. I don't really know which section to post this so I'll just post it here.

Sorry for the long read and pardon my errors.

I'm 26years old, a female and normally I'm a bright student but things happened during my 4th and final year in the university and I ended up having a spill over and graduate with a 2.2 from electrical/electronics engineering in 2017.

Being the first child and knowing that any financial assistance from my parents is going to end with the certificate and the condition of the country, I decided to learn fashion designing immediately after my final papers and finish the training before going for nysc in 2018.

From my allawee then I was able to set up a small shop then at the state I served to save up money and have something to start with after the completion of my service year. I stayed there till January this year before I returned to my parents because of some issues and I wasn't comfortable with were I was because it was a village.

So, I've been home since January, applying for one job or the other, attending interviews but none has been fruitful. I like tailoring and still make little clothes but it's not something I enjoy doing, I prefer coming up with the designs than actually seeing and it's not something I want to do with my life full time.

I really love electronics engineering but my result keeps closing doors for me and at this point I don't know what to do anymore. My dad has stopped working and my mum stresses herself day in day out to take care of my siblings and it hurts me watching her going through all the stress and she's not too healthy and I don't want anything to happen her.

I do some freelancing to cater for my needs and assist my siblings in school a little but I'm getting depressed and I need something more and I need advice on the next step to take my engineering career, what and what I could do at this point to boost my resume and grow me in my field.

I don't know if there's someone out there that has walked in my shoes or something related, I just need some guidance and counseling on the next step to take because everyday I feel my life is just wasting and passing me by.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed by MidasO1(m): 1:20am On Oct 06, 2021
TYglobal:
Hello. I don't really know which section to post this so I'll just post it here.

I'm 26years old, a female and normally I'm a bright student but things happened during my 4th and final year in the university and I ended up having a spill over and graduate with a 2.2 from electrical/electronics engineering in 2017.

Being the first child and knowing that any financial assistance from my parents is going to end with the certificate and the condition of the country, I decided to learn fashion designing immediately after my final papers and finish the training before going for nysc in 2018.

From my allawee then I was able to set up a small shop then at the state I served to save up money and have something to start with after the completion of my service year. I stayed there till January this year before I returned to my parents because of some issues and I wasn't comfortable with were I was because it was a village.

So, I've been home since January, applying for one job or the other, attending interviews but none has been fruitful. I like tailoring and still make little clothes but it's not something I enjoy doing, I prefer coming up with the designs than actually seeing and it's not something I want to do with my life full time.

I really love electronics engineering but my result keeps closing doors for me and at this point I don't know what to do anymore. My dad has stopped working and my mum stresses herself day in day out to take care of my siblings and it hurts me watching her going through all the stress and she's not too healthy and I don't want anything to happen her.

I do some freelancing to cater for my needs and assist my siblings in school a little but I'm getting depressed and I need something more and I need advice on the next step to take my engineering career, what and what I could do at this point to boost my resume and grow me in my field.

I don't know if there's someone out there that has walked in my shoes or something related, I just need some guidance and counseling on the next step to take because everyday I feel my life is just wasting and passing me by.

kindly drop your WhatsApp number.
Re: Advice Needed by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:27am On Oct 06, 2021
Honestly just forget about your engineering career. Nigeria isn't an industrialised nation.
Re: Advice Needed by TYglobal: 8:22am On Oct 06, 2021
Re: Advice Needed by Gerrard59(m): 10:46am On Oct 06, 2021
If I say you should focus on learning programming and forget about looking for a job (your age alone disqualifies you for a lot for entry level roles even before your grade), I hope I'm not unrealistic? Focus on front end development, your analytical skills would come in handy. The so-called fashion designing skill ignorant and blockhead Nigerians chant as "gEt a sKiLl", I've been shouting on Nairaland isn't a feasible/viable way to generate income for the vast majority of young Nigerians.

P.S. Be very mindful of people who say you should send them a PM. Go through their posts' history before sending them a PM.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed by TYglobal: 10:59am On Oct 06, 2021
Gerrard59:
If I say you should focus on learning programming and forget about looking for a job (your age alone disqualifies you for a lot for entry level roles even before your grade), I hope I'm not unrealistic? Focus on front end development, your analytical skills would come in handy. The so-called fashion designing skill ignorant and blockhead Nigerians chant as "gEt a sKiLl", I've been shouting on Nairaland isn't a feasible/viable way to generate income for the vast majority of young Nigerians.

P.S. Be very mindful of people who say you should send them a PM. Go through their posts' history before sending them a PM.

You're not unrealistic at all. I'm currently learning programming but not being able to really focus on it because I have to do other jobs not to be totally broke. I wish I learnt it when I was in school or after I graduated with the time I used to learn fashion designing, it will certainly have been a lot beneficial for me or even did some non paid trainings and internships relating to my field considering the free time I had during my service year but I guess been a lone ranger and having no guide or anyone giving advice comes with its perks. Its a lot difficult now to dedicate time to something with no present financial benefits.

I just put this out here to find out if there was something else I could do or a possible way out without deviating completely from engineering.
Re: Advice Needed by Gerrard59(m): 11:29am On Oct 06, 2021
TYglobal:

You're not unrealistic at all. I'm currently learning programming but not being able to really focus on it because I have to do other jobs not to be totally broke. I wish I learnt it when I was in school or after I graduated with the time I used to learn fashion designing, it will certainly have been a lot beneficial for me or even did some non paid trainings and internships relating to my field considering the free time I had during my service year but I guess been a lone ranger and having no guide or anyone giving advice comes with its perks. Its a lot difficult now to dedicate time to something with no present financial benefits.

I just put this out here to find out if there was something else I could do or a possible way out without deviating completely from engineering.

Software engineering is still part of engineering. As for industrial engineering, see this comment:

tensazangetsu20:
Honestly just forget about your engineering career. Nigeria isn't an industrialised nation

So yes, you can do other odd jobs so as to pay the bills as learning programming on stomach or when house rents have to be paid isn't easy. Those who learnt either have other sources of income, working parents who provide everything or started while in school. But you see that industrial engineering? Forget it! Unless you find yourself abroad.
Re: Advice Needed by TYglobal: 12:05pm On Oct 06, 2021
Gerrard59:

Software engineering is still part of engineering. As for industrial engineering, see this comment:

So yes, you can do other odd jobs so as to pay the bills as learning programming on stomach or when house rents have to be paid isn't easy. Those who learnt either have other sources of income, working parents who provide everything or started while in school. But you see that industrial engineering? Forget it! Unless you find yourself abroad.

Thanks for your inputs.
Re: Advice Needed by MidasO1(m): 2:54pm On Oct 06, 2021
Gerrard59:

you reason like a cow.
just by going through your comment one can already conclude that you haven't seen the four walls of a university.
dumb ass
Re: Advice Needed by TYglobal: 3:07pm On Oct 06, 2021
MidasO1:
you reason like a cow.
just by going through your comment one can already conclude that you haven't seen the four walls of a university.
dumb ass

Is this necessary?
Re: Advice Needed by Gerrard59(m): 4:28pm On Oct 06, 2021
TYglobal:

Is this necessary?

Go through his posts (page 2&3) and you will see the reason I mentioned don't PM anyone here without going through the person's post's history.
Re: Advice Needed by Dvea(f): 1:57am On Oct 07, 2021
TYglobal:

So maybe my input won't be very useful to you, but I thought of a few points. I understand that you like fashion designing and engineering and such, but at this point they are not very useful to you. Warren Buffet once said, do what you don't like now, so you can do what you like in future. ....I'm paraphrasing here.

In simple words, dont focus your energy on engineering jobs only. Nigeria is a confused market and I know someone who studied agriculture but ended up in the finance world. What I mean is expand your search, Look above and beyond your skills set. I say this because your primary need now is income. Programming is fantastic but its a long term income not a short term plan. You need a short term plan. A plan for now. So try other options, recruitments and such. Now, I will say this o but don't vex, I know its slightly unrealistic, but you never know where your luck will take you.

Try UCAS. It's a site for foreign education. See my chain of reasoning. A few years ago I tried everything to leave the country to study. I actually found a lot of promising options, but they either needed a degree or A level and I wasn't lucky enough. UCAS will link you to universities and scholarships and several of these scholarships give stipends and student work permits. It is really a great option and I know three friends who got lucky to go to various schools in Europe with it. What I am saying is, if you get another degree or masters, you can find a job within your field overseas or even here in Nigeria, cause Nigerians like foreign certificate like nothing. Note that you will need to focus on European or Asian countries. There are a few UK schools. But USA and Canada is not very promising through UCAS.

Now my third option is remote jobs. Like I said I have tried many routes and my greatest obstacle is no degree. There are several Indian, Malaysian, Arabic countries looking for Africans with a degree and zeal to do jobs well outside your course of study but are within a general field like marketing and such. They pay favorably and it can be a good income for you. I can recommend indeed, there is another I used a lot in the past but the name isn't coming to mind at this point. But just research remote job boards and dabble around. You can also apply there and see what luck has for you.

Above all, I like to always advice to go to God for help. You will be shocked how well he works. Tell him your needs and do your best, life is a tussle on its own and you need God big time is you want to survive. Sha I wish you good luck and I hope your mom stays strong to reap the fruit of her effort.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed by TYglobal: 5:00am On Oct 07, 2021
Dvea:

So maybe my input won't be very useful to you, but I thought of a few points. I understand that you like fashion designing and engineering and such, but at this point they are not very useful to you. Warren Buffet once said, do what you don't like now, so you can do what you like in future. ....I'm paraphrasing here.

In simple words, dont focus your energy on engineering jobs only. Nigeria is a confused market and I know someone who studied agriculture but ended up in the finance world. What I mean is expand your search, Look above and beyond your skills set. I say this because your primary need now is income. Programming is fantastic but its a long term income not a short term plan. You need a short term plan. A plan for now. So try other options, recruitments and such. Now, I will say this o but don't vex, I know its slightly unrealistic, but you never know where your luck will take you.

Try UCAS. It's a site for foreign education. See my chain of reasoning. A few years ago I tried everything to leave the country to study. I actually found a lot of promising options, but they either needed a degree or A level and I wasn't lucky enough. UCAS will link you to universities and scholarships and several of these scholarships give stipends and student work permits. It is really a great option and I know three friends who got lucky to go to various schools in Europe with it. What I am saying is, if you get another degree or masters, you can find a job within your field overseas or even here in Nigeria, cause Nigerians like foreign certificate like nothing. Note that you will need to focus on European or Asian countries. There are a few UK schools. But USA and Canada is not very promising through UCAS.

Now my third option is remote jobs. Like I said I have tried many routes and my greatest obstacle is no degree. There are several Indian, Malaysian, Arabic countries looking for Africans with a degree and zeal to do jobs well outside your course of study but are within a general field like marketing and such. They pay favorably and it can be a good income for you. I can recommend indeed, there is another I used a lot in the past but the name isn't coming to mind at this point. But just research remote job boards and dabble around. You can also apply there and see what luck has for you.

Above all, I like to always advice to go to God for help. You will be shocked how well he works. Tell him your needs and do your best, life is a tussle on its own and you need God big time is you want to survive. Sha I wish you good luck and I hope your mom stays strong to reap the fruit of her effort.

This is golden. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed by Olajydeey: 11:06am On Oct 07, 2021
TYglobal:

Sometimes, I get depressed & worried with my results.
I am currently at 2.2 studying mechanical engineering, but I had the chance to know some little thing about cars(mechanic)
I know a little about graphic design...
I want to go into freelancing..maybe, writing,editing & some designs.
How can I start?..no matter how small the money..it ought to pay some little bills

(1) (Reply)

Book Your Cisco Ccna,ccnp Exams For =n= 20,000 ! / Nothing Is Attach To These Vacancies, The Process Is Free / Pls Help I Need Ccna Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.