Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,705 members, 7,827,576 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams (27474 Views)

Installation Of Gani Adams As 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo Of Yoruba In Pictures / Gani Adams Steps Out Of Seclusion To Be Installed As Aare Ona Kakanfo (Photos) / History And The List Of The Past 14 Aare Ona Kakanfo Before Gani Adams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by VEHINTOLAR: 11:27am On Oct 06, 2021
Somebody should tell this guy that he talks too much ! Aare Latoosa of Ibadan was the last real Aare of Yoruba land. The likes of Chief Akintola,Chief MKO and Gani Adams that came after him are just ceremonial Aare Onakakanfo.

It's important to note here that the first-three Aare Onakakanfo of Yoruba were from the present day Republic of Benin. The colonialists did a lot of damage in Africa. Because of their own selfish reasons and administrative convenience,the colonialists created artificial boundaries that separated brothers all over Africa !
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Sammy07: 11:28am On Oct 06, 2021
Nauttyprof:

Gani Adams will never want to accept this. History has made it clear that the Aares after Latoosa were more of political appointment by Alaafin.

He loves the title so much and as such want to feel so important.

No mind him
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Sammy07: 11:29am On Oct 06, 2021
Starz825:

So the remaining three after the latoosa of Ibadan na just ceremonial title holders

Yes cool
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Sammy07: 11:30am On Oct 06, 2021
MyVILLAGEpeople:

So are you saying the others are political appointees??

Yes cool
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Ykc2(m): 11:36am On Oct 06, 2021
theTranscriber:
most slaves were sold for guns
besides Africans already had guns

and we didn't really need guns
Zulu taught the Europeans lessons without guns

you know next to nothing
go watch zulu and Europeans the second war,zulu taught them lessons yet the whole world needs to beg white south Africans to free black 1992 , we Africans are the weakest in this world,even fulani semi arab defeat indigenous hausa people still ruling them till today
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Praxis758: 11:47am On Oct 06, 2021
Obaxxx:
lipsrsealed
Yoruba people name can sound funny at times... please what's the meaning of JAPATA? lipsrsealed

That's a typographical error. The name is JABATA. The B was mispelt for P.
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by friday2011(m): 11:50am On Oct 06, 2021
illicit:
Yes Latoosa was the last real Aare

Kindly educate me more on this...How is latoosa the last real aare?

Does it mean it's now more of a political appointment?
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by illicit(m): 11:54am On Oct 06, 2021
friday2011:

Kindly educate me more on this...How is latoosa the last real aare?

Does it mean it's now more of a political appointment?

Latoosa had foot soldiers and he fought actual wars

On his demise, there was an interregnum of about 80 years before Akintola was installed

The position now is mostly ceremonial especially in the cases of Akintola and Abiola, they were rich politicians

Gani Adams has a chance to prove otherwise tho cos he has been in battles and has a standing millitia

1 Like

Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Gbajure(m): 11:54am On Oct 06, 2021
Ykc2:
Why Areonakakafo did use his soldiers to defeat white people angrywhy did his soldiers not transform them selves to bees and killed all the white people that took them as slaves to Brazil angry angry tales by moonlight story

The slave traders never raided Yoruba land to enslave people. Most if not all slaves are captured and traded by Yoruba war generals or war lords e.g Efunsetan and traders eg Efunroye Tinubu.

The colonialists devilishly supplied the guns and gun powder to stoke strives and wars
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Gbajure(m): 11:57am On Oct 06, 2021
illicit:

Latoosa had foot soldiers and he fought actual wars

On his demise, there was an interregnum of about 80 years before Akintola was installed

The position now is mostly ceremonial especially in the cases of Akintola and Abiola, they were rich politicians

Gani Adams has a chance to prove otherwise tho cos he has been in battles and has a standing millitia

Aare Latoosa commanded the Ibadan oyo confederate army against other Yoruba tribes army led by Ogedengbe at Oke Imesi. So it has always being Oyo and Ibadan title and never of Yoruba land.
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by freesoul12: 11:59am On Oct 06, 2021
Wat d Bleep.. .. Aare ona kankafo.. Where fucking misiles dey
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by illicit(m): 11:59am On Oct 06, 2021
Gbajure:

Aare Latoosa commanded the Ibadan oyo confederate army against other Yoruba tribes army led by Ogedengbe at Oke Imesi. So it has always being Oyo and Ibadan title and never of Yoruba land.
Yes sure, Oyo title no doubt

It's part of Yoruba heritage

1 Like

Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Gbajure(m): 11:59am On Oct 06, 2021
VEHINTOLAR:
Somebody should tell this guy that he talks too much ! Aare Latoosa of Ibadan was the last real Aare of Yoruba land. The likes of Chief Akintola,Chief MKO and Gani Adams that came after him are just ceremonial Aare Onakakanfo.

It's important to note here that the first-three Aare Onakakanfo of Yoruba were from the present day Republic of Benin. The colonialists did a lot of damage in Africa. Because of their own selfish reasons and administrative convenience,the colonialists created artificial boundaries that separated brothers all over Africa !

Aare ona kankanfo of Oyo land and NEVER Yoruba land. I hope you know that Ilorin arny fought on the side of Ekitiparapo army during the Kiriji war?
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Demmzy15(m): 12:01pm On Oct 06, 2021
Just imagine! See how Alaafin and his boys divided Yoruba land amongst themselves, why should I as an igbonna answer to the Alaafin? Wasn't Oyo a Kingdom that expanded through warfare into other Yorùbá countryside? How are they different from "Fulani" when they're clearly land grabbing and "Oyolizing" non-Oyo Yorùbás.
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Gbajure(m): 12:03pm On Oct 06, 2021
Obaxxx:
grin I won't throw tantrums with one mumu goat who's typing from under his brown roof apartment tongue. Carry your frustrations go meet Tinubu for U.K. At least he's the one holding and hoarding your destiny lipsrsealed

You these Igbos sef? So there are no millions of brown roofs in Onitsa, Nnewi, Aba etc?

1 Like

Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Demmzy15(m): 12:03pm On Oct 06, 2021
Gbajure:

Aare ona kankanfo of Oyo land and NEVER Yoruba land. I hope you know that Ilorin arny fought on the side of Ekitiparapo army during the Kiriji war?
Don't mind them, they wanna continue their land grabbing. They complain about "Fulanization" but not "Oyolization", why I as an igbonna be subject to Oyo?
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Kdon2: 12:11pm On Oct 06, 2021
Corporate2020:
This tout thinks we are interested. Aare Ona Kakanfo that is watching while Fulani herdsmen are killing his brothers, raping his mothers and sisters, is that one Aare or street tout?

Don't mind him the bastard fulanis were busy acting blue film with his sister's, mothers and others yet he can do nothing but make noise. Ordinary Sunday igboho was the one bold enough to speak out. Are ona kankanfo to o fe ku! Nonsense angry
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by sammirano: 12:30pm On Oct 06, 2021
The 15th Aare. Weldon sir
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by BJanta: 12:30pm On Oct 06, 2021
nairavsdollars:
Iba Gani Adams, the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland has given insight into why the holder of the Yoruba generalissimo title and the Alaafin of Oyo cannot stay together in the same territory.

Speaking in an interview with DAILY INDEPENDENT, Aare Adams who went down memory lane said also said that in the olden days, the Aare Ona Kakanfo doesn’t fight with guns and doesn’t just fight any wars. He only goes to the waterfront to give spiritual backing to his soldiers and give instructions after the war is over.

According to him, if the Aare Ona Kakanfo is forced to go to any village, he is usually accompanied by over 1,700 brave soldiers which signalled trouble for any community he went to.

He said “Aare Ona Kakanfo doesn’t fight war alone. In the history of Yorubaland, no Aare Ona Kakanfo succeeds without incorporating the powerful people in different zones. Even in the history of Aare Ona Kakanfo, in the war strategy, Yorubaland was split into four different angles called Ekun Merin. It was zoned as Igboona/Kwara axis is one; Oyo/Osun two; Ogun/Lagos three; Ondo/Ekiti four. This was zoned in the olden days, which shows you that our forefathers have native intelligence, not to talk about the creation of states now”.

“When we were going to the confab, the South-West was shared into three: Lagos and Ogun; Osun and Oyo and Ekiti and Ondo. However, in the olden days, they were four because Kogi and Kwara were included. So, Aare Ona Kakanfo doesn’t fight war anyhow. He only goes to the waterfront to the commission after the war has ended. He gives spiritual backing, instructions and coordination. Unless if that war is a very strong one beyond his boys, then he will now go to the waterfront with his staff of office”.

“Aare Ona Kakanfo doesn’t fight wars with guns. When Aare Ona Kakanfo wants to move out, he has 800 soldiers in the front and another 800 behind him, with giving at both sides. Aare will be at the back with the horse. These are not ordinary soldiers, but brave men who can transform into anything. That was why they said ‘Aare n pe e, o lo ndi’fa. Ti ifa ti e ba fore nko, sugbon ti Aare o ba fore, e woo loo se’.

“When Aare Ona Kakanfo is coming to a coming to a village or community with almost 1,700 soldiers, already the king of that village knows that there is a problem”.

“That is why Aare Ona Kakanfo cannot live in Oyo with Alaafin. That can never happen. The Japata people in Oyo said they wanted to become Aare Ona Kakanfo. Alaafin said if I made you Aare, you cannot live here again’. Alaafin now gave them a village behind Ogbomosho to settle down”.

“ That was why two Aare Ona Kakanfo came from Japata. Even before I became Aare, I have been doing my job, fighting for Yorubaland in my own level . The Aare Ona Kakanfo title only gave me the position to complement my efforts”.

https://independent.ng/why-alaafin-of-oyo-aare-ona-kakanfo-cant-stay-in-same-place-gani-adams/

Wonderful.
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Microwhy: 12:47pm On Oct 06, 2021
nairavsdollars:
Iba Gani Adams, the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland has given insight into why the holder of the Yoruba generalissimo title and the Alaafin of Oyo cannot stay together in the same territory.

https://independent.ng/why-alaafin-of-oyo-aare-ona-kakanfo-cant-stay-in-same-place-gani-adams/

I dont know why this man too carry this yoruba title too much for head.
That is how he kept correcting journalist during Igboho wahala to always use "Iba"
Please what is Iba?
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Jamesbiodun(m): 12:47pm On Oct 06, 2021
Trash grin
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Decryptor(m): 1:00pm On Oct 06, 2021
Their business!

The article is useless to me
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by nairavsdollars(f): 1:00pm On Oct 06, 2021
Iba means father. As Aare, he is the father of Yoruba people
Microwhy:

I dont know why this man too carry this yoruba title too much for head.
That is how he kept correcting journalist during Igboho wahala to always use "Iba"
Please what is Iba?

1 Like

Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by mechanics(m): 1:42pm On Oct 06, 2021
So he has those brave soldiers on standby.
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by casppyjay: 1:49pm On Oct 06, 2021
Obaxxx:
lipsrsealed
Yoruba people name can sound funny at times... please what's the meaning of JAPATA? lipsrsealed
tear pant
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by VEHINTOLAR: 1:53pm On Oct 06, 2021
Gbajure:

Aare Ona kakanfo of Oyo ? Are you saying that the tittle is strictly for the Yoruba of Oyo alone or that the tittle holder does not have authority or influence over other Yoruba sub ethnic groups,say like Ekiti or Ijesha ? Please clarify that while bearing in mind that there is a clear difference between Oyo land and Oyo Empire.

Yes,I know that Ilorin army fought on the side of Ekiti parapo army during the kiriji war. I hope you understand that the fall of Oyo empire,which reigned for over 500 years,left a huge gap in the administration of the entire Yoruba land ? What brought about the kiriji war therefore, was an attempt to halt the expansive efforts of Ibadan to emerge as the next dominant region or power after the fall of Oyo empire. While Ibadan wanted a unified Yoruba nation that's similar to that of Oyo empire,Ekiti wanted a loose confederation of kingdoms.

Another factor was the highhandedness and over bearing attitude of Aare Latoosa (from Ibadan)'s agents called "Ajele" who subjected Ekiti,Ijesa,Akoko and Igbomina people to lots of unimaginable hardships. The Ajeles were cruel,despotic,uncaring, autocratic and indulged in a lot of excesses. It was therefore,a war of independence for the Ekiti and others to free themselves from Ibadan's dominance

If you take into consideration, the fact that Ilorin army was crushed by the Ibadan army in the battle of Osogbo (1840),then it shouldn't surprise anyone why Ilorin fought on the side of Ekiti confederate army. It was a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend for the Ilorin army !
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Shikena(m): 2:23pm On Oct 06, 2021
Praktikals:
This man is Aare ona kakanfo of Oyo town. Only Ooni can give a title that will be recognised throughout yoruba land. And to the mods that always ban me for expressing my views, I have plenty moniker on nairaland tongue
Provide historical evidence. Ooni is the leader of a small town in today's Osun State with no influence even in nearby Modakeke - no Ooni ever experienced ruling a real nation grin .
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Praktikals(m): 3:41pm On Oct 06, 2021
Shikena:

Provide historical evidence. Ooni is the leader of a small town in today's Osun State with no influence even in nearby Modakeke - no Ooni ever experienced ruling a real nation grin .
It is not by size. Alaafin has never been ranked higher than Ooni. The present Alaafin just likes distorting history to massage his own ego. Even you, my friend, cannot argue that Ooni is more influencial than Alaafin today
In the pics below, you can see the Ooni right beside the queen and alaafin is on the extreme side. It is an open secret that Alaafin deliberately avoids any outing with other yoruba kings because all of them must queue behind Ooni.

Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by VEHINTOLAR: 4:19pm On Oct 06, 2021
I knew some "oponu"would turn this thread to Alaafin vs Ooni tussle but these same "ode" would rather keep quiet when some poorly informed aliens from the other side were making spirited efforts to rewrite Yoruba history just to suit their own narratives !

Ooni,being the Arole Oodua,is the spiritual head of Yoruba nation while Alaafin wields an uncommon political and military power than any Oba in Yoruba land being the head of the old Oyo empire. It is an undeniable fact that Ooni occupies the seat of Oodua ( father of Yoruba nation) as his Representative while Alaafin is a direct Son of Oduduwa through Oranmiyan who was the first Alaafin.

Omo Yoruba e ronu yin ! E ma fe idi arayin sita fun awon ota yin ! Both Alaafin and Ooni,in fact all the Kabiesi in Yoruba land ,are our fathers and leaders. There is no need for any unnecessary superiority tussle among our royal fathers and even among the subjects too.
Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by Shikena(m): 6:12pm On Oct 06, 2021
Praktikals:

It is not by size. Alaafin has never been ranked higher than Ooni. The present Alaafin just likes distorting history to massage his own ego. Even you, my friend, cannot argue that Ooni is more influencial than Alaafin today
In the pics below, you can see the Ooni right beside the queen and alaafin is on the extreme side. It is an open secret that Alaafin deliberately avoids any outing with other yoruba kings because all of them must queue behind Ooni.
Pictures? You want me to post Ooni bowing to Tinubu abi? grin

Fact: No Ooni ever ruled any nation in history. Just the town of Ile-ife. Shikena!
*Alaafins never queued behind any king in the days of old when traditions of rulership were established so that's an impossibility as there was no one to queue behind, they won't start today. Alaafin means Alaafin, a royalty, not spiritualist, digest that as a Yorubaman wink

Re: Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams by toba1909(m): 10:50pm On Oct 06, 2021
nairavsdollars:

Speaking in an interview with DAILY INDEPENDENT, Aare Adams who went down memory lane said also said that in the olden days, the Aare Ona Kakanfo doesn’t fight with guns and doesn’t just fight any wars. He only goes to the waterfront to give spiritual backing to his soldiers and give instructions after the war is over.

According to him, if the Aare Ona Kakanfo is forced to go to any village, he is usually accompanied by over 1,700 brave soldiers which signalled trouble for any community he went to.

He said “Aare Ona Kakanfo doesn’t fight war alone. In the history of Yorubaland, no Aare Ona Kakanfo succeeds without incorporating the powerful people in different zones. Even in the history of Aare Ona Kakanfo, in the war strategy, Yorubaland was split into four different angles called Ekun Merin. It was zoned as Igboona/Kwara axis is one; Oyo/Osun two; Ogun/Lagos three; Ondo/Ekiti four. This was zoned in the olden days, which shows you that our forefathers have native intelligence, not to talk about the creation of states now”.

“When we were going to the confab, the South-West was shared into three: Lagos and Ogun; Osun and Oyo and Ekiti and Ondo. However, in the olden days, they were four because Kogi and Kwara were included. So, Aare Ona Kakanfo doesn’t fight war anyhow. He only goes to the waterfront to the commission after the war has ended. He gives spiritual backing, instructions and coordination. Unless if that war is a very strong one beyond his boys, then he will now go to the waterfront with his staff of office”.

“Aare Ona Kakanfo doesn’t fight wars with guns. When Aare Ona Kakanfo wants to move out, he has 800 soldiers in the front and another 800 behind him, with giving at both sides. Aare will be at the back with the horse. These are not ordinary soldiers, but brave men who can transform into anything. That was why they said ‘Aare n pe e, o lo ndi’fa. Ti ifa ti e ba fore nko, sugbon ti Aare o ba fore, e woo loo se’.

“When Aare Ona Kakanfo is coming to a coming to a village or community with almost 1,700 soldiers, already the king of that village knows that there is a problem”.

“That is why Aare Ona Kakanfo cannot live in Oyo with Alaafin. That can never happen. The Japata people in Oyo said they wanted to become Aare Ona Kakanfo. Alaafin said if I made you Aare, you cannot live here again’. Alaafin now gave them a village behind Ogbomosho to settle down”.

“ That was why two Aare Ona Kakanfo came from Japata. Even before I became Aare, I have been doing my job, fighting for Yorubaland in my own level . The Aare Ona Kakanfo title only gave me the position to complement my efforts”.

It is Jabata......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oba Of Ogbaland Nnam Chukwumela Dies At 80 / Two Masquerades Hit Night Club, Show Off Dance Moves (Video, Pictures) / Lekan Balogun Not Qualified To Be Olubadan - Michael Lana Writes Makinde

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.