Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,143 members, 7,821,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos (5108 Views)

Photo Of Lagos Traffic In 1982 / 10 Unbelievable Photos Of Lagos You Will Mistake For London / Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by folem: 1:34pm On Jul 24, 2007
Create Agege State from the current Lagos and Ogun State.

Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by DisGuy: 2:27pm On Jul 24, 2007
if you create another state then Xris74 will come and say there are not doing the same in the east wink

Xris to be honest i think Lagos can generate enough money to survive without your oil money tongue
Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by Xris74: 2:44pm On Jul 24, 2007
Jairzinho:

I do not agree its an exercise in futility,

While I appreciate most comments about spreading the largesse around, I think the point has been made severally by debosky that LAGOS IS ALREADY A MEGACITY. We should stop this tribal/ethnic sentiments:LAGOS BELONGS TO ALL LAGOSIANS

?

What is tribalism in seeking what should have been done long time back. Now tell me honestly, why is Lagos such a dilapidated city today? Is it not mostly due to too large population for too few infrastructure? I will reject an offer of a million naira to return to Nigeria and work in Lagos as it is currently. The sheer human volume is just too suffocating for me, coupled with the near moribund infrastructure. Based on your logic, PH, Calabar, Warri and other towns are also coastal in nature. Why are they not megacities? Lagos deserves to be improved and quickly too, but so do Kano, PH, Benin, Aba, Onitsha, Jos, all commercial cities in their own right.

Or is Aba and Onitsha, for example, no more commercial cities, also with run-down facilities?
Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by debosky(m): 4:56pm On Jul 24, 2007
Xris74:

What is tribalism in seeking what should have been done long time back. Now tell me honestly, why is Lagos such a dilapidated city today? Is it not mostly due to too large population for too few infrastructure? I will reject an offer of a million naira to return to Nigeria and work in Lagos as it is currently. The sheer human volume is just too suffocating for me, coupled with the near moribund infrastructure. Based on your logic, PH, Calabar, Warri and other towns are also coastal in nature. Why are they not megacities? Lagos deserves to be improved and quickly too, but so do Kano, PH, Benin, Aba, Onitsha, Jos, all commercial cities in their own right.

Or is Aba and Onitsha, for example, no more commercial cities, also with run-down facilities?

They are not mega cities because they do not have the large population coupled with agglomeration of many settlements that result in such a definition

http://www.globaleducation.edna.edu.au/globaled/go/cache/offonce/pid/1965

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/geography/urban/mega/megacities/Mega_Cities.html#Introduction

mega cities refer to urban agglomerations of 8million or more, not simply a fancy 'creation' or 'making' by anyone

no one questions the commercial nature of the cities you mentioned, but in light of the above definitions, they are certainly not megacities. the issue of where the resources coming into the city originate from is a different story

the aim of the mega city designation is an attempt to recognise the immense nature of the problem and stop treating it like any other city or settlement. Its problems are on a much grander scale and deserve to be treasted as such.

I see your point though - Lagos might not have grown into a mega city if other cities in other locations such as the ones you mentioned were developed with adequate infrastructure to attract investment and become livable and viable economic and social centers in their own right

the Lagos situation needs to be dealt with under its special circumstances, but other towns should not be neglected either, and should be allowed to develop and grow at their own paces.
Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by kcjazz(m): 5:06pm On Jul 24, 2007
Personally with the way things are right now, any city in Nigeria can achieve a mega city status.

If I control Owerri for instance and create a 24hr power supply with state funds and private initiative, improve road networks and security. No business man wants to lose money. I believe with creative marketing it wont take long for investors to flood the whole state creating jobs and people traffic. Infact people might even need a visa to come to Owerri

This can be done in any city, give me Kebbi State and I will do the exact same thing and make it the richest state in Nigeria!
Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by Xris74: 6:51pm On Jul 24, 2007
You can create  a mega city indirectly. This is posssible by providing the necessary infrastructure and pronto, a hitherto small town is balloned (populationwise), beyond human imagination. This is my argument which some myopical fail to see. I rest my case.
Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by debosky(m): 7:18pm On Jul 24, 2007
you can make a mega city? Sure, but it takes ages for such huge population movements to occur, and even longer for the proper planning and infrastructure to cater for 8-10million people in a single location to be developed.

you may thinkI am 'myopical', but most of the existing mega cities are headaches, with huge infrastructural and pollution challenges in them all. It is not a desirable development method to create megacities, they usually arise out of unplanned growth in general and though they are very productive and hubs of economic activity, it is definitely not the way to go. most of them are extremely unplanned and have dire infrastructural needs, only New York stands out as an exception.

I do not see anything to be gained from growing more mega cities - the UK, France, Spain, Canada and other countries that are highly developed do not have mega cities, why do you want to see more of them? they are big headaches and management nightmares, and are definitely not an appropriate developmental model.

creation of viable urban centers is a good thing, but I think this is one clear case in which bigger is definitely not better.
Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by 1forall: 6:05am On Jul 25, 2007
I really don't care bout this 'megacity' thing, just give Lagos a sensible mass transport system. . . first!
You can start with the metro.

Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by IjebuBoi(m): 8:22am On Jul 25, 2007
denex, why being unnecessarily uppity. Its the economy, stupid. What makes a megacity. Discourses do not warrant unnecessary airs. Its what you know, the knowledge. Economy makes cities not fiat. Embassies are in Abuja because of government directive. The people in Abuja are politicians and government contractors. With all the billions, is Abuja a mega city. It takes less than 30 mins to traverse the whole of Garki. At weekends it is less. Outside hotels, whatelse thrives in Abuja.
Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by mimiko(f): 11:14am On Jul 26, 2007
Naija and big dreams
Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by Mustay(m): 6:55am On Jul 27, 2007
we shall achieve
Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by irepmother: 6:37pm On Jul 27, 2007
first of all, dey ned to do somthing abt da damn unemployment, and go from there
Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by MP007(m): 11:09am On Jul 29, 2007
"they want to"? geez! who posted this.?, IT SUPPOSED TO, Lagos is suuposed to , niegrain government at every level are just stupid, lagos should by now be the face of africa ,
Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by Mustay(m): 11:13am On Jul 29, 2007
yo right. obj was a goddamn bad guy. e just suffer us
Re: On Making A Megacity Out Of Lagos by Horus(m): 12:19am On Nov 22, 2008

(1) (2) (Reply)

Missing Plane Found In Cross River: After 6 Months! / Passport Help Pls!!! / How To Get To Ajose Adeogun Street In VI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.