Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,176 members, 7,815,109 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. (2014 Views)

"Wetin You Born" Why people always ask woman this question / The Next Time Your Wife Asks You This Question / A Man Died, Buried, Appeared In Another Land Where Nobody Knows Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by etebefia: 11:07pm On Oct 10, 2021
A man that married 2 wives and had 5 sons from the 2 wives, 1 from the first wife and 4 from the second wife. How will his inheritance be shared?
1. between the two wives and then they will take to their sons or
2. equally among the 5 sons irrespective of their mothers.
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Kyase(m): 11:10pm On Oct 10, 2021
etebefia:
A man that married 2 wives and had 5 sons from the 2 wives, 1 from the first wife and 4 from the second wife. How will his inheritance be shared? between the two wives and then they will take to their sons or equally among the 5 sons irrespective of their mothers.
The first wife’s son takes 50% (provided he’s the man’s first son) of the inheritance then the remaining share the remaining 50%

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by etebefia: 11:12pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kyase:

The first wife’s son takes 50% of the inheritance then the remaining share the remaining 50%
Is this on the basis that he is the son of the first wife or the share is 50/50 for the two wives?
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Kyase(m): 11:13pm On Oct 10, 2021
etebefia:

Is this on the basis that he is the son of the first wife or the share is 50/50 for the two wives?
Check my comment again
( provided he’s the first male child)
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by etebefia: 11:16pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kyase:

Check my comment again
( provided he’s the first male child)
Okay he gets the 50% on the basis that he is the first son? but what if the man's first son is from the second wife?
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Sergio101(m): 11:17pm On Oct 10, 2021
In my own side.

So far that the son of the first wife is the first Born........ Then definitely, he has more share like........ Father's compound and a little land too.
But he will share the father's compound with the last Born of the second wife (last son)...... Meaning that the last son will occupy some rooms in the main compound (obi)
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 10, 2021
The first born son takes the inheritance, but as long as either of the two wives are alive he doesn't have full authority, depends on whether the inheritance is in the village or city is it backed by lawyers or family members
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Sergio101(m): 11:18pm On Oct 10, 2021
etebefia:

Okay he gets the 50% on the basis that he is the first son? but what if the man's first son is from the second wife?

If he's from the second wife, then the full right goes to that son.(of the second wife)
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Kyase(m): 11:18pm On Oct 10, 2021
etebefia:

Same thing apply to him too
He takes 50%
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by etebefia: 11:22pm On Oct 10, 2021
I perfectly understand the explanations given above but am not talking about the quantity of share, I want to know for a man that married more than one wife, is his inheritance shared among the wives or among the sons?
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Sergio101(m): 11:22pm On Oct 10, 2021
Also. It depends on who buries the father.
In some town like umuoji, Agulu and co......... If the father is still alive and the first son dies......... Buried in the sight of his father then then the full right as the head of the family goes to the second sin that helped in burial of his senior brother.
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Sergio101(m): 11:23pm On Oct 10, 2021
etebefia:
I perfectly understand the explanations given above but am not talking about the quantity of share, I want to know for a man that married more than one wife, is his inheritance shared among the wives or among the sons?

Among sons.
According to sequence
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Mikechinos(m): 11:24pm On Oct 10, 2021
It will be divided 50/50 btw the two. The first wife son will take 50 percent while the 2nd wife son and his brotherz will share the remaining 50 percent that's Igbo tradition. Because the two of the sons are the first sons of their mothers womb

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by etebefia: 11:25pm On Oct 10, 2021
Sergio101:

Among sons.
According to sequence
Thanks
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by etebefia: 11:26pm On Oct 10, 2021
Mikechinos:
It will be divided 50/50 btw the two. The first wife son will take 50 percent while the 2nd wife son and his brotherz will share the remaining 50 percent that's Igbo tradition. Because the two of the sons are the first sons of their mothers womb
In other words, it is shared between the two wives and not the 5 sons?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Nobody: 11:31pm On Oct 10, 2021
The female are not entitle to collect anything. The wives head will be shaved and they will drink the bath water of the husband.
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Alfamann: 11:34pm On Oct 10, 2021
Sergio101:
In some town like umuoji, Agulu and co......... If the father is still alive and the first son dies......... Buried in the sight of his father then then the full right as the head of the family goes to the second sin that helped in burial of his senior brother.

You just left the question asked and answered another thing altogether.
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Sergio101(m): 11:37pm On Oct 10, 2021
Alfamann:

Am so sorry for that.

Pardon bro
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Mikechinos(m): 11:42pm On Oct 10, 2021
etebefia:

In other words, it is shared between the two wives and not the 5 sons?
More like between the first sons. The first son of the second wife will share the 50 percent with his siblings. While the first son of the first wife will take his own 50 percent all by himself. Had it been he has other male siblings then he will have to share it with them

2 Likes

Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by after4: 11:47pm On Oct 10, 2021
Please it varies from one Igbo community to another and how the family wants it to be. The basic thing is that inheritance is shared among sons not wives nor daughters. Some men can choose to give their daughters but he has to do it when he is alive though

1 Like

Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by OfoIgbo: 1:40am On Oct 11, 2021
Sergio101:

Now this is core Igbo culture.

The first son must outlive his father and play his part in burying his father. Otherwise he will loose the right to inherit his father's obu/Obi.

So put simply the oldest son of the man who outlives his father and plays a part in burying his father gets to inherit the obu.

The last son inherits the mkpuke, the mother's settlement within the obu
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Nobody: 1:54am On Oct 11, 2021
Simple...they fight and kill themselves over it like niggers. grin
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Oksman(m): 3:25am On Oct 11, 2021
WesternOligarch:
Simple...they fight and kill themselves over it like niggers. grin

Someone once said that your comments in this forum reeks of stupidity in a thread I was going through the other day, I didn't believe him till I saw this. We are here to learn this is not politics. If you have nothing to contribute, please stay off.

2 Likes

Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Fahdiga(m): 3:42am On Oct 11, 2021
I am a Yoruba man but I know Igbo culture. The first son that outlives his father will inherit the Father's compound with ala obu. (Extra land given to him outside the Father's compound before any land is being shared). Then he will share everything else with the first son of the second wife. The first son of the second wife will now go home and share what he got with his brothers (sons from his own mother) after removing his own extra land as the first son from his mother's womb

1 Like

Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Fahdiga(m): 3:46am On Oct 11, 2021
Alfamann:

What he said is very important. It is only the first son that participated in the burial right of the father is truly the first son according to Igbo culture.
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Nobody: 3:46am On Oct 11, 2021
Oksman:

Someone once said that your comments in this forum reeks of stupidity in a thread I was going through the other day, I didn't believe him till I saw this. We are here to learn this is not politics. If you have nothing to contribute, please stay off.

Lol....why are you triggered...am I lying, isn't the end result fighting like niggers?
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by onumadu: 3:46am On Oct 11, 2021
In my part, the first son takes EVERYTHING provided he outlives his father, BUT he MUST share the rest according to HIS prerogatives.
Whatever he decides to give to whoever is not contestable.
Unfair? Yes, but it is still the tradition.
But it can get even more complicated.
In one of such complicated example I witnessed, a man had three wives and three sons.
The first wife had no son (she had three female children); the second wife had an only son, while the third wife had two sons.
However the man in question had actually "inherited" the third wife from his late father. So, the third wife's first son is actually older than the son by the second wife, but everybody knew that the third wife's first son was from the man's late father.
Therefore, though this son from his late father is older than the son from his second wife, the right of headship (to inherit the man's obi) fell on the second wife's only son.
So, in this family, the right to pick first (iri ekpe) fell on the man's de facto second son (the second wife's only son), then to his last son (by his third wife) and then the first son of the third wife.
The last son gets to pick before his senior brother because he is regarded as a son the man "ji utu ya we muo" (directly sired by the man himself).
Try wrapping your head around that, and appreciate the sophistication of ancient Igbo traditional inheritance jurisprudence!
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Nobody: 3:48am On Oct 11, 2021
Fahdiga:
I am a Yoruba man but I know Igbo culture. The first son that outlives his father will inherit the Father's compound with ala obu. (Extra land given to him outside the Father's compound before anything land is being shared). Then he will share everything else with the first son of the second wife. The first son of the second wife will now go home and share what he got with his brothers (sons from his own mother) after removing his own extra land as the first son from his mother's womb

You're Yoruba man on Monday's, Igbo on Tuesdays-fridays and a rettard all days of the week....are you the result of a gangbangg

1 Like

Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Fahdiga(m): 3:48am On Oct 11, 2021
SlyDev:
The female are not entitle to collect anything. The wives head will be shaved and they will drink the bath water of the husband.
Shatap
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by Fahdiga(m): 3:50am On Oct 11, 2021
WesternOligarch:

You're Yoruba man on Monday's, Igbo on Tuesdays-fridays and a rettard all days of the week....are you the result of a gangbangg
Shatap and focus on the message
Re: Who Knows Igbo Culture Very Well, Help Me Answer This Question. by SlayerForever: 4:27am On Oct 11, 2021
You're asking about Igbo inheritance and you're talking about the wives. Go and sleep abeg.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pregnant For The Wrong Man??? / A Baby Boy Or A Baby Girl Which Is Best Or You Prefer As Your First Child / Avoid Women Who Always Seem 2av D Best Advice But Neva Seem2av A Wrkin Relatnshp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.