Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,818 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

Can The Tiv And Igede Tribes Marry Each Other? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can The Tiv And Igede Tribes Marry Each Other? (1757 Views)

Update On Tiv Bride Who Insisted On Marrying Her 'Cousin' In Benue / Why Do Other Tribes Marry Earlier Than Igbos? / Tiv Elders Ban Traditional Marriage Festivities, Peg Expenses At N100k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can The Tiv And Igede Tribes Marry Each Other? by tuwayz(m): 10:01am On Oct 13, 2021
Hi nairalanders... I have been so concerned and worried about this subject matter because I am Tiv, but dearly in love with an Igede girl, she claims she loves me so much too which I can neither doubt nor agree, problem is she keeps telling me that her parents warned her not to go out with Tiv guys or to even dream of bringing a non Igede person home for marriage.

The matter burdens me, she tells me not to be worried, and that anything can happen... But I'm someone that plans life ahead, with regards to my curiosity I researched online if I could find anything relating to this subject and in the course of my research here are the few things I found

Q. Do The Igede People Marry Tiv People?

By Olivia Ejeh (Igede)

The question I hate being asked as an Igede lady. I mean I can’t even say Yes, No, Maybe… I just laugh and walk away because I don’t even know and can’t tell why.

We all belong to one human race… To me, that’s all that matters

For all I know, the tribal or communal or whatever crises the Igedes have against Tivs have from day one meant nothing to me. I grew up in a Tiv man’s land and I can boldly say the Tiv have nothing against the Igede people, they are willing to marry an Igede lady anytime anyway but their so-called tradition won’t take their blindfolds off their eyes.

I eat Tiv dishes, I cook them well, I speak it if not more than I can speak Igede language, I write and read well in Tiv, I’ve grown to have Tiv friends and I feel even more accepted and comfortable with the Tiv people than I do with my own…

I have a cousin who has three kids with a Tiv lady, his dad swore his son wouldn’t end up with a Tiv woman yet he took the kids, very inhuman…

I don’t mean to make any Igede person especially those obsessed with their tradition feel bad but like seriously! Can we just stop pretending we’re alright with this and do something already…

I didn’t choose where to be born, it chose me… but if my our forefathers chose tribal crises over humanity then I choose it not! We all belong to one human race… To me, that’s all that matters. My forefathers have lived their lives and made their decisions, its time for me to live mine and make my decisions…

By Hembadoon (Tiv)

I love your view about the whole thing. Tiv and Igede people obviously have been living at swords ends because of reasons we couldn’t explain. But I think whatever the cause of disagreement is, it can be settled.
I’d rather live my life than have some vows from people who are dead and long gone deprive me of mixing.
I have Igede friends, and I enjoy their company, yes at least they haven’t given me reason to think I’m being treated as a non tribe.
So my people, let’s go back to our roots. Imagine the joy of sharing our diverse cultural beliefs and practices, it will be harmonious . We’re all created by one God. Let love lead

I could not get hold of a solid information as to what the crisis was and why this whole confusion...

Please anybody with meaningful contribution should help... Thank you.

Re: Can The Tiv And Igede Tribes Marry Each Other? by tuwayz(m): 10:42am On Oct 13, 2021
Uncle Seun and uncle lalasticlala, please help my post needs a wide view.
Re: Can The Tiv And Igede Tribes Marry Each Other? by Feelings79: 9:37pm On Oct 13, 2021
I'm Tiv too.I do know that Tiv and lgede cannot intermarry.I'm in my forties I have never seen marriage between the two groups.The reasons why it cannot happen is what I don't know
Re: Can The Tiv And Igede Tribes Marry Each Other? by tuwayz(m): 12:49am On Oct 14, 2021
Feelings79:
I'm Tiv too.I do know that Tiv and lgede cannot intermarry.I'm in my forties I have never seen marriage between the two groups.The reasons why it cannot happen is what I don't know
Do you ever care to know why sir?
Re: Can The Tiv And Igede Tribes Marry Each Other? by Feelings79: 5:47am On Oct 14, 2021
tuwayz:

Do you ever care to know why sir?
Haven't really enquired that much, will try to with some elders in my community right this evening and will share with you
Re: Can The Tiv And Igede Tribes Marry Each Other? by tuwayz(m): 6:49pm On Oct 14, 2021
Feelings79:
Haven't really enquired that much, will try to with some elders in my community right this evening and will share with you

Any news sir?
Re: Can The Tiv And Igede Tribes Marry Each Other? by Feelings79: 8:49pm On Oct 14, 2021
tuwayz:

Any news sir?
Ahhh,was busy with work but I'm sure knowing it tommorow.So sorry and will surely let you know
Re: Can The Tiv And Igede Tribes Marry Each Other? by Jackyz: 8:51pm On Oct 14, 2021
This is serious
Re: Can The Tiv And Igede Tribes Marry Each Other? by Supreme145(m): 8:36am On Oct 15, 2021
I can't say its impossible but its unlikely, I have an igede friend and she told me its kinda an abomination to bring a tiv man home, her step sis brought a tiv man home and their father rejected everything the man came with including drinks, one of their kinsmen went behind and collected the drinks and developed a mysterious illness later. The drinks had to be returned before he got well.

The step sis is still living with the tiv man but they don't count her as married. Even the idomas don't like marriage with the tivs too but recently they are dropping that notion and they now inter marry with the tivs.
Re: Can The Tiv And Igede Tribes Marry Each Other? by tuwayz(m): 1:13am On Oct 17, 2021
Supreme145:
I can't say its impossible but its unlikely, I have an igede friend and she told me its kinda an abomination to bring a tiv man home, her step sis brought a tiv man home and their father rejected everything the man came with including drinks, one of their kinsmen went behind and collected the drinks and developed a mysterious illness later. The drinks had to be returned before he got well.

The step sis is still living with the tiv man but they don't count her as married. Even the idomas don't like marriage with the tivs too but recently they are dropping that notion and they now inter marry with the tivs.

This is scary though

(1) (Reply)

My Neighbor's Son Fight With His Father. Please How Do I Stop Him. / How Much Do You Spend On Electricity Bill Monthly / Hidden Agony Of A Father In The Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.