Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,458 members, 7,836,811 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Do Black Americans have the right to wear Nigerian clothing and participate in - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Black Americans have the right to wear Nigerian clothing and participate in (554 Views)

Oba Of Benin, Others Participate At Berlin Humboldt Forum Arts Exhibition In Ger / The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / Oyo Twins Festival: 2034 Sets Of Twins Participate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Black Americans have the right to wear Nigerian clothing and participate in by Fodiyo26: 1:10pm On Oct 17, 2021
Traditions of they find they’re mostly Nigerian?

I’m in a very heated debate over this with someone. My answer is “no” simply because Nigeria has a ton of tribes with different clothing, food, and traditions. They can’t just pick one and run with it; it might not even be the one they descended from. If they can find the particular TRIBE they descended from I might be okay with it (MIGHT) but they can’t so it’s useless.

Besides, even if Nigeria was made up of one tribe, you don’t see White Americans rocking Irish or Scottish clothing and participating in their traditions. They see themselves as purely American. Black Americans have been in America for longer than a lot of white Americans so they should do the same by now.

What do you think?
Re: Do Black Americans have the right to wear Nigerian clothing and participate in by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:41pm On Oct 17, 2021
anybody has the right to wear what they desire FOR FASHION... it means nothing to them but to rock a fancy garment.

i think you are looking at it the wrong way, and see a tribal connotation to it, while people from the other side of the world dont.

its just fashion!

3 Likes

Re: Do Black Americans have the right to wear Nigerian clothing and participate in by Fodiyo26: 3:49pm On Oct 17, 2021
The thing is, it doesn’t mean nothing to them. They’re doing it because they feel Nigerian.
Re: Do Black Americans have the right to wear Nigerian clothing and participate in by NubaVertigo(m): 1:26am On Oct 18, 2021
Fodiyo26:

I’m in a very heated debate over this with someone. My answer is “no” simply because Nigeria has a ton of tribes with different clothing, food, and traditions. They can’t just pick one and run with it; it might not even be the one they descended from. If they can find the particular TRIBE they descended from I might be okay with it (MIGHT) but they can’t so it’s useless.

Besides, even if Nigeria was made up of one tribe, you don’t see White Americans rocking Irish or Scottish clothing and participating in their traditions. They see themselves as purely American. Black Americans have been in America for longer than a lot of white Americans so they should do the same by now.

What do you think?

I live in America. Despite the success you see on tv, black Americans have a deep need to identify with something they've lost. It's not all happy stories for them. We have a piece of a puzzle that they are missing and the historical therapy is needed. Simply wearing African clothing is one of the ways they can do it. You may never understand if your ancestor was not taken across an ocean and your identity removed. Letting them wear African clothing is literally the least we could do. I don't even know why this would be a question

2 Likes

Re: Do Black Americans have the right to wear Nigerian clothing and participate in by laiperi: 2:02am On Oct 18, 2021
Allow them

Let them

What power do you have over individual choice?

Look harder, Americans wear Scottish, Irish, African e.t.c clothes whenever they feel like.

2 Likes

Re: Do Black Americans have the right to wear Nigerian clothing and participate in by elonmuskbaby: 10:02pm On Oct 19, 2021
laiperi:
Allow them

Let them

What power do you have over individual choice?

Look harder, Americans wear Scottish, Irish, African e.t.c clothes whenever they feel like.
exactly.if Nigerians can wear suit and tie and other western attires why can't the African Americans wear Nigerian attires.as music is universal so is fashion
Re: Do Black Americans have the right to wear Nigerian clothing and participate in by Emilokoiyawon: 12:57am On Oct 20, 2021
I would rather a black American share Nigerian culture that some white devil from Alabama.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Black Americans have the right to wear Nigerian clothing and participate in by Cousin9999: 2:43am On Oct 20, 2021
It's inappropriate to wear cultural attire when you're (a) not from it, and (b) aren't wearing it for its intended purpose.

However, I think it's important to consider who is wearing it and why. You'll often see black Americans who are educated (e.g. doctors, lawyers, educators, jazz musicians, etc.) wear these things. These are people who have actually traveled to African countries and educated themselves about the culture. It's a way for them to express pride, solidarity, and a feeling of connection to Africa and Africans.

It might make some people feel a certain way, but stop and consider the fact that arguably the majority of black Americans view their own race through the racist lens of oyinbos. It's far better to have "fake Nigerians" wearing traditional clothes and speaking broken Igbo than an entire nation of ignorant, regressive, pseudo black people.

And American oyinbos do identify with ancestry. The only ones who don't are basically the least educated and most backward ones in the country.
Re: Do Black Americans have the right to wear Nigerian clothing and participate in by Kingpin1000: 12:18pm On Oct 20, 2021
Fodiyo26:

What do you think?
The clothes, tradition and religion you practice is from where?

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Is There A Word For Carribeans In Our Languages? / Does Your Language Have A Word For This? / Are You An Introvert? Let's Come Together - Drop A Message/your Contacts Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.