Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,117 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono (4755 Views)

Spent About 14,500 On This Sweet Okra Soup that will last 6 months. / Naija Man Makes The Best Okra Soup In Brazil! (pix) / How Can I Make My Okro Soup Draw ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 5:58pm On Oct 17, 2021
Has anyone ever tried the following tip: boiling ujuju (water) leaves, blending them and adding to the soup?
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by mariahAngel(f): 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2021
Why do that when you can simply grate part of your okra, then cut up the rest?

4 Likes

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Davash222(m): 6:39pm On Oct 17, 2021
mariahAngel:
Na for food matter dem dey see you cheesy

Gluttonous Mariah grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by mariahAngel(f): 6:40pm On Oct 17, 2021
Davash222:

Na for food matter dem dey see you cheesy

Gluttonous Mariah grin grin

You no know before? I be food goddess! grin
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Davash222(m): 6:45pm On Oct 17, 2021
mariahAngel:

You no know before? I be food goddess! grin
Jisie ike cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 6:09pm On Oct 19, 2021
mariahAngel:

Because not everyone likes blended/pounded/grated okra. Water leaves, on the other hand, appeal to most people and they’re readily available in communities where people are more likely to only chop their okro (southeastern Nigeria). So it’s not a bad idea for someone from Imo state who refuses to process okra via any other means than a knife and no get kaun or thickeners (ogbono, ugiri, pumpkin seeds).
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Kobojunkiee: 7:49pm On Oct 19, 2021
Probz:

Because not everyone likes blended/pounded/grated okra. Water leaves, on the other hand, appeal to most people and they’re readily available in communities where people are more likely to only chop their okro (southeastern Nigeria). So it’s not a bad idea for someone from Imo state who refuses to process okra via any other means than a knife and no get kaun or thickeners (ogbono, ugiri, pumpkin seeds).
It also comes with a separate taste which it adds to the concoction. undecided
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by mariahAngel(f): 7:56pm On Oct 19, 2021
Probz:

If you do that, it’ll alter the authentic taste of the soup.
Unless you’re going for something else altogether.
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by mariahAngel(f): 7:58pm On Oct 19, 2021
Kobojunkiee:

Kobo, are you sure you’re not a cook?

...and I’ve been meaning to ask you how you came about the moniker kobojunkie undecided
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Kobojunkie: 8:01pm On Oct 19, 2021
mariahAngel:
Kobo, are you sure you’re not a cook?

...and I’ve been meaning to ask you how you came about the moniker kobojunkie undecided
The Kobo is the Nigerian coin. Reminds of when you could purchase ewa going and bread for 10kobo from the tapkwa babes in the morning on the way to school back while growing up in ikorodu. undecided

Like many, I love food. grin
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 8:08pm On Oct 19, 2021
mariahAngel:

If you do that, it’ll alter the authentic taste of the soup.
Unless you’re going for something else altogether.

And how would it alter the taste?
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 8:11pm On Oct 19, 2021
Kobojunkiee:

There’s something called ujuju soup (I don’t know if the more nuclear-Asaba-type Enuani Igbos of Delta cook it but Kwale-Bendel-Ika people at least definitely do) that’s essentially okra/ogbono soup made with water leaves (some people only use the ujuju/water-leaf vegetables, though). I’m sure the taste is there for them (otherwise they wouldn’t keep making it, nor would it be a recognised staple in those Delta Igbo/id communities) so the combination of okra and water leaves mustn’t be that bad.

1 Like

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by mariahAngel(f): 8:13pm On Oct 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
The Kobo is the Nigerian coin. Reminds of when you could purchase ewa going and bread for 10kobo from the tapkwa babes in the morning on the way to school back while growing up in ikorodu. undecided

Oh...OK.
What about the junkie part? Is it that you were obsessed with and a collector of kobo coins?

Like many, I love food. grin

Your case is not just about "loving food", it goes beyond that.
You understand the concept of flavours in food.
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by mariahAngel(f): 8:14pm On Oct 19, 2021
Probz:

And how would it alter the taste?

Water leaves have slightly bitter taste, unlike ugu (fluted pumpkin) that is sweet.
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Kobojunkiee: 8:15pm On Oct 19, 2021
Probz:
There’s something called ujuju soup (I don’t know if the more nuclear-Asaba-type Enuani Igbos of Delta cook it but Kwale-Bendel-Ika people at least definitely do) that’s essentially okra/ogbono soup made with water leaves (some people only use the ujuju/water-leaf vegetables, though). I’m sure the taste is there for them (otherwise they wouldn’t keep making it, nor would it be a recognised staple in those Delta Igbo/id communities) so the combination of okra and water leaves mustn’t be that bad.
I wouldn't ordinarily think to add waterleaf to my okra soup but now that you say it is not so bad, I am willing to try it. undecided
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Kobojunkiee: 8:17pm On Oct 19, 2021
mariahAngel:
Oh...OK.
What about the junkie part? Is it that you were obsessed with and a collector of kobo coins?
Your case is not just about "loving food", it goes beyond that.
You understand the concept of flavours in food.
Nah! Added the Junkie part for fun. undecided

Flavors? Oh. When I said I loved food, I didn't mean that I love shoving it into my mouth abeg! I love the many possible flavors available even when you cook with simple ingredients. undecided
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by mariahAngel(f): 8:20pm On Oct 19, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
I wouldn't ordinarily think to add waterleaf to my okra soup but now that you say it is not so bad, I am willing to try it. undecided

Not that it'll be bad, but expect a slightly different taste from your usual.

I enjoy exploring and experimenting with ingredients anyways.
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by mariahAngel(f): 8:22pm On Oct 19, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Nah! Added the Junkie part for fun. undecided

Flavors? Oh. When I said I loved food, I didn't mean that I love shoving it into my mouth abeg! I love the many possible flavors available even when you cook with simple ingredients. undecided

OK. Food is fun. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Kobojunkiee: 8:28pm On Oct 19, 2021
mariahAngel:
Not that it'll be bad, but expect a slightly different taste from your usual.

I enjoy exploring and experimenting with ingredients anyways.
I know, right? undecided

Waterleaf and then Okra.... I would probably not blend the water leaf, at least until I am sure I can handle okra and waterleaf together in the same soup. undecided
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by armyofone(m): 8:30pm On Oct 19, 2021
Probz:
Has anyone ever tried the following tip: boiling ujuju (water) leaves, blending them and adding to the soup?

I love ujuju. I miss that vegetable grin

I don't like it being mix with anything. Just ujuju soup and some dried fish and crayfish.

People add it to okra or ogbono cuz it is naturally drawy vegetable.

Op,
Ujuju leaf is not the same as water leaf.

2 Likes

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 8:35pm On Oct 19, 2021
mariahAngel:

Water leaves have slightly bitter taste, unlike ugu (fluted pumpkin) that is sweet.

To be fair, some conc. Anambra people add onugbu leaves to their draw soup (which I personally don’t rate) so it’s not as if more bitter things than ujuju haven’t been used for okra soup before.

I know what you mean about okra needing to be relatively sweet but I don’t think the addition of ujuju will negatively impact the flavour of the soup any more than uziza leaves or seeds (which a lot of people definitely do add to their okra soup). And like I said ofe okwuru/ogbono-ujuju is a whole thing in certain parts of Delta State and all those people who regularly cook and eat it can’t be terribly wrong.
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 8:36pm On Oct 19, 2021
armyofone:

I don't like it being mix with anything. Just ujuju soup and some dried fish and crayfish.

Op,

Is it easily obtainable East of the Niger? Or would one have to trek to Asaba (or even further west) to get the leaves?
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by armyofone(m): 8:38pm On Oct 19, 2021
Probz:

Is it easily obtainable East of the Niger? Or would one have to trek to Asaba (or even further west) to get the leaves?

Trek to Umudike village - grin
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 8:43pm On Oct 19, 2021
And yeah, I’m aware that there are minor differences between water leaves proper (whatever the scientific name/designation is) and ujuju but if memory serves they fall into the same category (or at least a similar one). I know because I was reading an article about the traditional Igbo food system and listed under water leaves (or at least leaves allied/pretty similar to it) were different leaves, including ujuju. It was also there that I learnt that there’s actually a minor difference between ugu (fluted pumpkin leaves) and regular, non-fluted pumpkin leaves (ugboguru) and that it’s actually the latter that’s most appropriate for okra soup.

Also, does anyone here have experience using pumpkin seeds either as an adjunct to or substitute for ogbono (or ugiri) when making okra soup?
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 8:43pm On Oct 19, 2021
armyofone:

Trek to Umudike village - grin

Awka na my backyard (when I’m in Nigeria) so that’s actually very okay. cool
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Kobojunkiee: 9:40pm On Oct 19, 2021
armyofone:

Op,
What is Ujuju then? undecided
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by armyofone(m): 10:39pm On Oct 19, 2021
Ujuju leaf grows on ujuju tree, a not too tall tree at maturity. The leaf is shiny and pale green. The young leaf is used in making soup and very slimy unlike water leaf.

Water leaf is thick and doesn't grow on tree. Matured water leaf has tiny pod with little seeds inside and beautiful little flowers.

Use water leaf to make your soup and it fills your pot due to the water contents in the vegetable.
The slight slimy nature of water leaf is no match for ujuju.

You can cook ujuju alone or mix with other drawy soup - okra or ogbono.

The Igbos and Agbors know ujuju. Maybe the Edos
too.

Ujuju is not water leaf (gbure in yoruba)

Culled from Omoge childhood memory.

Kobojunkiee:
What is Ujuju then? undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by armyofone(m): 10:46pm On Oct 19, 2021
I look forward to eating it too. My mom cooked hers by first boiling to soften and pounding in little nwa mortar before adding to stock or base.

Probz:

Awka na my backyard (when I’m in Nigeria) so that’s actually very okay. cool

1 Like

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by Probz(m): 12:58am On Oct 20, 2021
armyofone:
I look forward to eating it too. My mom cooked hers by first boiling to soften and pounding in little nwa mortar before adding to stock or base.

That’s actually the best thing (using a mortar instead of a blender/processor).

Does your mum make ofe ujuju plain or with okra/ogbono?

1 Like

Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by armyofone(m): 4:28pm On Oct 20, 2021
We (kids) liked it plain. Straight plain ujuju vegetable soup for us.
We don't like any vegetable added to okra or ogbono soup too. To me, it's too stuffy.

Probz:

That’s actually the best thing (using a mortar instead of a blender/processor).

Does your mum make ofe ujuju plain or with okra/ogbono?
Re: Making Okra Soup Draw Without Ogbono by mariahAngel(f): 4:54pm On Oct 20, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
I know, right? undecided

Waterleaf and then Okra.... I would probably not blend the water leaf, at least until I am sure I can handle okra and waterleaf together in the same soup. undecided

Why would you need to add the waterleaf though?
Do you like your okra soup extra slimy?

I remember when my mum would boil (or blanch) our waterleaves before adding to the ( vegetable) soup.
I wonder what purpose that served. Probably to reduce the excess water. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Zobo Drink Is Good For The Body. / Lovers Of Bread And Tea / Step By Step On How To Cook Nigerian Egusi Soup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.