Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,952 members, 7,841,670 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table (78991 Views)

My 85-Year-Old Dad Is Cheating On My Mom / Don’t Kill Your Husband. This Is How To Deal With Him If He Is Cheating On You / My Husband Is Cheating On Me With Our Neighbor! Hurting Real Bad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by OmoEpe(m): 7:21am On Oct 19, 2021
ityP:

The problem is the women are not protected in our African traditional beliefs about marriage. I will birth a girl child sometime in future. The mere thought of that lady being tortured by one useless man and not been able to say anything is a scary thought...

Sure I have female children I won't want to see suffer but demonizing God's concept of marriage just because some are abused isn't right either.

Even in court marriage don't husbands sometimes brutalise their wives? The evil feminism has made us assume that the traditional concept of marriage is evil.

This is a lie from the pit of he'll. No matter the laws and concept laid down there will always be abuses. Same way the law courts are set up to give redress in cases of breeches in civil marriages we also have customary courts.

Jer15:16, go and look for the old ways in which our father's thread and find rests for your souls but we said no. That is why we are plagued by so much trouble, even some churches are now conducting gay weddings. In an attempt to solve a little problem we have imported major crises of monumental proportion.

Even polygamy isn't outrightly evil like we have been made to believe, the problem isn't with the models but the practitioners

Some monogamous relationships are more acrimonious than polygamous relationships. The catch here is being careful with who you get hitched with

The infiltration of the western lifestyle has done an incalculable damage to the African society but the media has conditioned our minds to believe that anything foreign or western is better

May God give us understanding

Once again I come in peace o Biko

1 Like

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by dettolgel: 7:21am On Oct 19, 2021
Biglittlelois:

Words of mouth isn't a law, a village king can just as well wake up one day and proclaim what suits him, doesn't make it factual or true.

This is not entirely correct. In places without the current form of civilization written law is not an option.

I will be surprised if the uncontacted tribes in South America or India all have written laws.
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 19, 2021
Under traditional marriage ,there is no restriction on the man not to marry more wives but with court or approved church marriages, is bigamy for him to get another wife legally without divorcing the first , but the catch is he can go traditional with the next wife acquisition without kegalizing it through court or church ,but in the eyes of the law ,the 2nd acquisition does not exist .
Biglittlelois:
Where is it explicitly stated that all traditional marriages is automatic polygamy or adultery approved? Show us proof, link pls, don't just spew your own opinion as fact.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Ugik(m): 7:25am On Oct 19, 2021
This one is just here doing copy and paste from facebook
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by IkpuMmadu: 7:31am On Oct 19, 2021
maureensylvia:
Only women who are married monogamously under the marriage act (in court or in an approved church) have the right to say “My husband is cheating on me”! If you are only married traditionally, your husband never vowed to be faithful to you!

when you are married only under native law and custom your husband has the right to marry as many wives as he wants and there is NOTHING you can do about it. Also your children belong to him custody wise under native law and custom.

Constrictive criticism is allowed

Very right
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Miarose: 7:32am On Oct 19, 2021
Please just shut up. This thread is to educate ignorant girls like you. Dont you see how stupid you sound, in this nigeria, you dont know the importance of court over traditional marriage? Please pick up a primary six social studies textbook for more explanation. Even the men here know the truth and are trying to explain to you....

@kobojunkie, God bless you for being soo civil with these kids.... Girls for that matter in this nigeria... Na wa oo.....
Saintmary:

Responsibility is different from dependency.

The fact that a man is responsible does not mean all financial contribution will rest on him.

Responsibility starts with vision, planning and directing, before even talking about funding.

It's ok if you can't grasp my explanations, like I said, you're immature, just like the greater percentage of the population.

I believe that just because a lot of men are failing does not mean all men are failing, there a lots of men who understand the assignment, God bless them.

My motivation for this response is that someone will read this and know better what it means to be a man.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Trustedpronet: 7:37am On Oct 19, 2021
Even girl friends dey fight other babes saying dem man dey cheat. Guy, traditional, church or court wedding cheating na cheating. What I expect from you is to write on is WHY DO MARRIED COUPLES CHEAT?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Sterope(f): 7:47am On Oct 19, 2021
In most cultures in the world and in some cultures today, women were and are still seen as property.

You cannot discount oral tradition now when we have relied on them for the account of so many of things. Given the way society was structured, you can't argue otherwise.

Biglittlelois:

No I don't understand yours, cos it obviously came out from your mouth, there is no proof whatsoever that traditional laws explicitly said that,

A woman, a human being, is not a property of another human being, explain and screenshot where it is stated in the African tradition and patriarchy that such exists let's all see it, words of mouth can always be false and dismissed as pure nonsense, just cos some bunch of men sat down to voice out what suits them at a particular era back in the day, doesnt make it an actual truth, proof, link, or don't quote me again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Saintmary(f): 7:47am On Oct 19, 2021
Miarose:
Please just shut up. This thread is to educate ignorant girls like you. Dont you see how stupid you sound, in this nigeria, you dont know the importance of court over traditional marriage? Please pick up a primary six social studies textbook for more explanation. Even the men here know the truth and are trying to explain to you....

@kobojunkie, God bless you for being soo civil with these kids.... Girls for that matter in this nigeria... Na wa oo.....

I could have descended to your level to insult you, but that will make me the same as you.
Besides, it won't add to my worth in any way.

Wallow on in your foolishness.
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by FlipModeSquade(m): 7:51am On Oct 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. There is no such thing.

2. It does not need to be prescribed since a married man is allowed to have as many women(even concubines) as he desires.

3. Having concubines entails adultery is allowed, or does it not? undecided
Since when is concubines and wives one and the same thing?

That is presuming that all he has to do is pick a woman off the street and have her live with him and tradition is cool with that..

Which is a big fat lie..

If as you claim he can pick up CONCUBINES OFF the street..

WHAT prevents him from doing same,even if he is in a monogamous marriage?

Since all he has to do is pick them off the street?
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by DaInferno(m): 7:56am On Oct 19, 2021
maureensylvia:
Only women who are married monogamously under the marriage act (in court or in an approved church) have the right to say “My husband is cheating on me”! If you are only married traditionally, your husband never vowed to be faithful to you!

when you are married only under native law and custom your husband has the right to marry as many wives as he wants and there is NOTHING you can do about it. Also your children belong to him custody wise under native law and custom.

when you sit one on one with God, you can have this conversation. Because you have birthed a false teaching and your are looking for people who have like minds like yours to fuel it
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by FlipModeSquade(m): 8:01am On Oct 19, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
Explain what a concubine is, and you have your answer..
Concubines are not bad in the traditional laws.
And now, can a woman have a male concubine??
If you answer this correctly, then you will also have the answer to the question of whether traditional laws allowed women to be adulterous too.
Concubines :a woman co habiting with a man WITHOUT being married..

So,according to your claim..

A man traditionally married to 3 WIVES is living with 3 CONCUBINES?

Same as a man living with one woman..

Even though he never bothered to marry her in the church or court?

To your second question..

There are traditions in which a woman is allowed to marry 2 husbands or Concubines,as you prefer to call them..

It's not common but it happens..
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by DEMZEE(m): 8:07am On Oct 19, 2021
Spherical77:
Any woman who chose to marry you without a court marriage na fool

Just know you married a fool and not a wife wink

Any man who marries under the law na MUMU

1 Like

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by DEMZEE(m): 8:08am On Oct 19, 2021
Toks2008:

Yes polygamy is a crime if you do court wedding but the Irony is that men still have secret wives so what is the point?

Exactly Nigeria is a patriarchal society and polygamy can never be a crime
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by DEMZEE(m): 8:09am On Oct 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Again, the question was what family values do you refer to that are not observed in the western setting? undecided

Patriarchy is not a family value neither is women occupying a second-class status in society a family value. undecided

Wats the marriage and divorce rate in Nigeria and wats the marriage and divorce rates in western societies??
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by DEMZEE(m): 8:10am On Oct 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Yes, they do when the law and conditions allow for polyandry.

In many cases however, particularly where the the laws are against such freedoms, women can and do resort to cheating just like their men folk. undecided

So women need law and conditions to be polyandry wen men naturally are polygamous by nature.

Men have been marrying many women since the dawn of human history cross-culturally. Women have been sharing men since the dawn of human history

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Spherical77(m): 8:19am On Oct 19, 2021
DEMZEE:

Any man who marries under the law na [b]MUMU
Same as you marrying a Fool as a wife. She'd definitely bring forth foolish offspring wink[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by vRendoh(m): 8:19am On Oct 19, 2021
Biglittlelois:
Where is it explicitly stated that all traditional marriages is automatic polygamy or adultery approved? Show us proof, link pls, don't just spew your own opinion as fact.

No mind that Guy....his type has led many fools into polygamy while he is stuck to just one. They hail and clap an idiot to abandoned his wife for a side chic and eventually marriage.
One na heavy load to carry o!
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by BluntCrazeMan: 8:23am On Oct 19, 2021
FlipModeSquade:
Concubines :a woman co habiting with a man WITHOUT being married..

So,according to your claim..

A man traditionally married to 3 WIVES is living with 3 CONCUBINES?

Same as a man living with one woman..

Even though he never bothered to marry her in the church or court?

To your second question..

There are traditions in which a woman is allowed to marry 2 husbands or Concubines,as you prefer to call them..

It's not common but it happens..
Don't distract yourself mista-man..
You were asking a question whether Traditional Marriage Laws allowed Adultery for men.
And I gave you the clue.
And you're here now asking me if Polygamy and Monogamy are the same.
This question you are asking me now, was that your original question you asked earlier, which I responded to??
In your second original question, you asked whether women are also allowed to be adulterous according to traditional marriage laws??
In Igbo tradition generally, the person who pays the bride-price is the person who is marrying.
The number of women whose bride price you pay is the number of wives you have.
If the tradition allows for adultery in women, then the women are free do their traditions the way they see it.
Some traditions in some towns allow adultery for married women, and they do it without hiding their faces, because it is their tradition, and they are happy about it.
Then, you were saying something about women marrying many husbands??
That's for places where their traditions made it that women are the ones who pay the bride-price.. For example, India.

2 Likes

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Bellerophon: 8:24am On Oct 19, 2021
DaInferno:
when you sit one on one with God, you can have this conversation. Because you have birthed a false teaching and your are looking for people who have like minds like yours to fuel it

OP is actually very right as every points raised within her concise submission are salient and infallible truths, for those trying to comprehend the discussion from a tainted view of cultural sentiments such attempts are opinions lacking of the thoroughness of empiricism and thus subjective and less reflective of cogent truths! Human societies are governed by laws, laws universally assumed to be a product of collective will represented by political republicanism, these laws are extant and codified in acts of the legislative arms of government and are deemed sacrosanct and preeminent over other types of laws cultural ones inclusive! One of such laws is the marriage ordinance or act which defines what a marriage is between a man and woman by way of statutory codification with regards to ceremony and legal requirement! Events transpired in the course of relationships that involve cohabitating as a domestic household or marriages recognized under the disparate bodies of customary law cannot be actionable in a court of competent jurisdiction as the existence of the subject matter is null and void in the eyes of the law since the prevailing law pertaining to marriage (the marriage ordinance or act) and don’t forget the infallible supremacy of positive law here does not recognize relationship of the sorts in its legal canonization ! Now does customary law enables polygamy? is another salient question worthy of answering, the axiomatic truth that will always prevail beyond bias and sentiment remains that the African society in its cultural majority is a patriarchal one, where gender defines and influences significantly the roles, responsibilities , privileges and moral allowances apportioned each member of the gender subset! It is morally common to have public opinion accommodate men cheating over their wives and trivializing infidelity with the advise of polygamy in the stead, more like a slap on the wrist and rabidly demonizing a woman when we strays outside the vows of her marriage ! This is the harsh reality of contemporary African society despite the improvements and influences of technology over our lives! However this argument does not legitimize the fallacy that the African society prescribes polygamy substantively by default, even if the question of cultural enablement continues to be incumbent and lingering. The foundation of human culture is conscionable existence that engenders the welfare and continuity of the collective with allowance for a respect for the inalienable rights conferred on others by the default of their human nature! Culture is not repressive and is as dynamic as the society that it models! Humanity is dynamic and change is the only constant, culture and modernity continues to interact in a way that prevails over the order of our lives, The old common law, a relic of colonialism and the primary source of our jurisprudence and legislation, a part of which is the marriage act continues to interact with our lives even as we remain with our cultural education in our marriages, however it is important knowing this to go all out to make sure such relationships qualify for the definition of marriage for all intent and purposes under the law to avoid stories that touch further buttressing OPs argument but with a lot of dimensions

2 Likes

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by DEMZEE(m): 8:24am On Oct 19, 2021
Spherical77:
Same as you marrying a Fool as a wife. She'd definitely bring forth foolish offspring wink[/b]

U are a stupor for thinking ur wife is ur equal

Oponu oshi angry
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Spherical77(m): 8:27am On Oct 19, 2021
DEMZEE:

U are a stupor for thinking ur wife is ur equal

Oponu oshi angry
ode ni e for ever imagining that you are more superior than the female gender wink

Even my 70 years old father don't reason this way
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Jacuzzi55(f): 8:33am On Oct 19, 2021
Inother words
Men should sign marriage contract that will favor women
Women like registry wedding because it give them the audacity to misbehave in marriage and to have their cake and eat it
Court marriage allows women to cheat on their husbands and still be claiming equility with them
Traditional marriage don't give a Bleep about that
With the rate of married women cheating and DNA scam raging our present generation
I will candidly advice Nigerian men to desist from Court wedding
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by DaInferno(m): 8:38am On Oct 19, 2021
Bellerophon:

OP is actually very right as every points raised within her concise submission are salient and infallible truths, for those trying to comprehend the discussion from a tainted view of cultural sentiments such attempts are opinions lacking of the thoroughness of empiricism and thus subjective and less reflective of cogent truths! Human societies are governed by laws, laws universally assumed to be a product of collective will represented by political republicanism, these laws are extant and codified in acts of the legislative arms of government and are deemed sacrosanct and preeminent over other types of laws cultural ones inclusive! One of such laws is the marriage ordinance or act which defines what a marriage is between a man and woman by way of statutory codification with regards to ceremony and legal requirement! Events transpired in the course of relationships that involve cohabitating as a domestic household or marriages recognized under the disparate bodies of customary law cannot be actionable in a court of competent jurisdiction as the existence of the subject matter is null and void in the eyes of the law since the prevailing law pertaining to marriage (the marriage ordinance or act) and don’t forget the infallible supremacy of positive law here does not recognize relationship of the sorts in its legal canonization ! Now does customary law enables polygamy? is another salient question worthy of answering, the axiomatic truth that will always prevail beyond bias and sentiment remains that the African society in its cultural majority is a patriarchal one, where gender defines and influences significantly the roles, responsibilities , privileges and moral allowances apportioned each member of the gender subset! It is morally common to have public opinion accommodate men cheating over their wives and trivializing infidelity with the advise of polygamy in the stead, more like a slap on the wrist and rabidly demonizing a woman when we strays outside the vows of her marriage ! This is the harsh reality of contemporary African society despite the improvements and influences of technology over our lives! However this argument does not legitimize the fallacy that the African society prescribes polygamy substantively by default, even if the question of cultural enablement continues to be incumbent and lingering. The foundation of human culture is conscionable existence that engenders the welfare and continuity of the collective with allowance for a respect for the inalienable rights conferred on others by the default of their human nature! Culture is not repressive and is as dynamic as the society that it models! Humanity is dynamic and change is the only constant, culture and modernity continues to interact in a way that prevails over the order of our lives, The old common law, a relic of colonialism and the primary source of our jurisprudence and legislation, a part of which is the marriage act continues to interact with our lives even as we remain with our cultural education in our marriages, however it is important knowing this to go all out to make sure such relationships qualify for the definition of marriage for all intent and purposes under the law to avoid stories that touch further buttressing OPs argument but with a lot of dimensions
let's agree to disagree- that this are different views, and no matter how beautiful it may seem, you and I and the rest of my colleagues (society) will have different opinions. You could also have a tainted view. What's wrong is wrong; simple!
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by maureensylvia(f): 8:41am On Oct 19, 2021
wizi4tyn:

Sounds like there’s no trust here ooo

Most people that do only traditional marriage do it because of lack of funds. If you speak like this, be sure to finance the other marriage forms 100% if the guy says his money has finished after traditional marriage

It doesn't cost much to do a court marriage... Not even up to 3k
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Godbless3(m): 8:42am On Oct 19, 2021
Traditional, court and church are the same thing but Nigerians (Africans) just like to over do.
ATM is for us, white wedding as the name implies is for the white and court wedding is for government that they can compel the two party to carter for child incase they go separate way.
But we nigerians dey pack all do. And just like these are nuthead pastors are who think God give them right to bless a union or approve it when it is actually the parents of the groom and bride that mantle fall on just dey over use christian head.
Just like they will never accept that the baptism you do in another church before change church is not genuine and forget that you were baptise in Christ and not in church name.
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by maureensylvia(f): 8:42am On Oct 19, 2021
efficiencie:

What difference does it make. If you do all the legal marriages and your hubby cheats on you you are no different from the woman who only did native marriage and was cheated on. Legal marriage does not stop cheating. Legal marriage does not punish cheating spouses, the highest punitive measure is a divorce which makes the outcomes of couples in a legal marriage no different from those in a native marriage...as I type, someone's legal husband is pumping someone else's legal wife all in the guise of business meeting...native marriages save the stress of spending stupidly and it's only drawback is that it is not recognised by the law of the land and when that land is Nigeria, you can dump the law inside dustbin because Nigerian criminal-justice system is trash!

You still don't get my point, sir

1 Like

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by FlipModeSquade(m): 8:45am On Oct 19, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
Don't distract yourself mista-man..
You were asking a question whether Traditional Marriage Laws allowed Adultery for men.
And I gave you the clue.
And you're here now asking me if Polygamy and Monogamy are the same.
This question you are asking me now, was that your original question you asked earlier, which I responded to??
In your second original question, you asked whether women are also allowed to be adulterous according to traditional marriage laws??
In Igbo tradition generally, the person who pays the bride-price is the person who is marrying.
The number of women whose bride price you pay is the number of wives you have.
If the tradition allows for adultery in women, then the women are free do their traditions the way they see it.
Some traditions in some towns allow adultery for married women, and they do it without hiding their faces, because it is their tradition, and they are happy about it.
Then, you were saying something about women marrying many husbands??
That's for places where their traditions made it that women are the ones who pay the bride-price.. For example, India.
You can't call a woman whose bride price was paid a concubine..

A concubine presumes nothing was done to recognize her as a wife..

By the society..

If that is YOUR definition of a concubine..

THEN explain to me..

How that is IMPOSSIBLE in a MONOGAMY?

Since a man can as well pick up a woman from the streets and bring her into his home,whether the wife is comfortable or not with it?

The SAME way it would be frown upon by the society,even if he has TEN WIVES..

Is the same way they would see it if has ONE wife..

EQUATING picking up a woman off the street and living with her with same as marrying many wives is deceiving and untrue..

Since that is not what obtains in tradition..

Atleast I know that is not what obtains in Igboland..
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 19, 2021
Spherical77:
Go to law court and tell them all these wink

Men like you had been dealt with ruthlessly there
PLEASE can you explain to me how MEN like me will be dealt with by the Law Court when I decide not to continue with my marriage?

Even in the Advanced world, MARRIAGE is not by compulsion. People get married in the morning and part ways in the evening.
So, I don't know where you Guys get this baseless cohesion theories from.
Worst scenario, properties are shared equally.
But nothing stops you from saying you are TIRED of getting married to your spouse.
TRUMP is a recent example.
MICHAEL JACKSON also is.
In Africa, we rather top up the number of wives than divorce them and nothing stops the woman from walking out either.

IF my wife decides to leave me tomorrow, why should I kill her. I can only reexamine myself to suit her, else she walks out unhindered.
MARRIAGE is not a warfare.

1 Like

Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Qatar2022: 8:59am On Oct 19, 2021
maureensylvia:

Your kind is why Africa can't develop because you see your custom and traditions as trash while white people's own is real
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by maureensylvia(f): 9:04am On Oct 19, 2021
TheGreatOne90:

If she wants court marriage, she must worth as much as me

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Don't complain that your husband is cheating on you if you are on this table by Spherical77(m): 9:04am On Oct 19, 2021
MALIGNANTGuest:

PLEASE can you explain to me how MEN like me will be dealt with by the Law Court when I decide not to continue with my marriage?

Even in the Advanced world, MARRIAGE is not by compulsion. People get married in the morning and part ways in the evening.
So, I don't know where you Guys get this baseless cohesion theories from.
Worst scenario, properties are shared equally.
But nothing stops you from saying you are TIRED of getting married to your spouse.
TRUMP is a recent example.
MICHAEL JACKSON also is.
In Africa, we rather top up the number of wives than divorce them and nothing stops the woman from walking out either.

IF my wife decides to leave me tomorrow, why should I kill her. I can only reexamine myself to suit her, else she walks out unhindered.
MARRIAGE is not a warfare.
Marry a legal wife and still go ahead to sleep around or marry another one. You will come back here to give us the full gist how it unfolds

You can only ressolve your first marriage before proceeding with another. This is the responsibility and law guiding court marriage

Unlike traditional marriage where some men had abused beyond repair

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Lusting After My Husband's Cousin / Man Found Money His Grandfather Hid In The Ceiling 30 Years Ago / Parents, Don't Allow Your Kids To Run To Meet You When You Return Home. See Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.