Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,673 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong (4280 Views)

Corpse Refuses Burial As Over 10 Strong Men Struggle To Carry Its Coffin (Video) / Igbos Are Just Too Much - I Am Shaking Right Now When I Think Of It :-) / Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 2:32pm On Oct 19, 2021
All or most west African tribes were taken to the new world as slaves, but The yoruba culture is the only one that was retained by the slaves and is still very strong today in Brazil

I just pondered on this today not to belittle other tribes after all I’m married to an Igbo lady and they are a great race as well but there is just something about yoruba culture that defies any attempts to suppress it. It is innate, it is spiritual.

I salute all yoruba sons and daughters worldwide

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Abdul05: 2:33pm On Oct 19, 2021
grin grin the best African blood so far

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Nobody: 3:15pm On Oct 19, 2021
The ones that left the own freedom fighter to die of poison in benin grin cheesy fear them oh the can laugh at you one second but stab you next minute example FFK etc

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 3:22pm On Oct 19, 2021
Bonesbreaker:
The ones that left the own freedom fighter to die of poison in benin grin cheesy fear them oh the can laugh at you one second but stab you next minute example FFK etc
You went off topic

I asked why other tribes who went into slavery did not retain their cultures, only yoruba culture out of all African cultures that went into slavery has survived

I think it’s a spectacle and evidence to the greatness of the yoruba race

I’m sure your tribe went into slavery. Why didn’t your culture survive ?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 3:23pm On Oct 19, 2021
Abdul05:
grin grin the best African blood so far
Peace and greetings to you my blood

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 19, 2021
Moorish:

You went off topic

I asked why other tribes who went into slavery did not retain their cultures, only yoruba culture out of all African cultures that went into slavery has survived

I think it’s a spectacle and evidence to the greatness of the yoruba race

I’m sure your tribe went into slavery. Why didn’t your culture survive ?
that's my own topic undecided na by force to follow your topic tongue

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 3:43pm On Oct 19, 2021
Bonesbreaker:
that's my own topic undecided na by force to follow your topic tongue
No be by force but you did not have to enter the thread with your off topic point

You have nothing to contribute obviously

Bye

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 19, 2021
grin cheesy that's because you topic na fake and lies
Moorish:

No be by force but you did not have to enter the thread with your off topic point

You have nothing to contribute obviously

Bye

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 3:49pm On Oct 19, 2021
Bonesbreaker:
grin cheesy that's because you topic na fake and lies
Is yoruba not the only surviving/dominant African culture in the new world ?

I am open to objections if you have any

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 19, 2021
Moorish:

Is yoruba not the only surviving/dominant African culture in the new world ?

I am open to objections if you have any
is Yoruba not the only tribe that can backstab you at any giving time the betray you easily undecided lets object first on this grin

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 3:59pm On Oct 19, 2021
Bonesbreaker:
is Yoruba not the only tribe that can backstab you at any giving time the betray you easily undecided lets object first on this grin
I think there is both honesty and dishonesty in every ethnic group.

Nigeria should have shown you that corruption/dishonesty knows no tribe

Now can you answer my original question ?

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 19, 2021
Moorish:

I think there is both honesty and dishonesty in every ethnic group.

Nigeria should have shown you that corruption/dishonesty knows no tribe

Now can you answer my original question ?
but while looking at your tribe dishonesty is so much that one can feel it easily

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Abdul05: 4:10pm On Oct 19, 2021
Moorish:

Peace and greetings to you my blood
thank bros

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 4:10pm On Oct 19, 2021
Bonesbreaker:
but while looking at your tribe dishonesty is so much that one can feel it easily
I have also seen a lot of fraud and dishonesty from your tribe, the Igbo

My mum once employed an Igbo man to sell ice cream for her

He ran away with all the stock and money never to be seen again on one faithful day

I was scammed twice in computer village by igbo merchants

The drug dealers in Malaysia are what tribe again ?

There is dishonesty in your tribe as well

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Abohboy: 11:29pm On Oct 19, 2021
Moorish:
All or most west African tribes were taken to the new world as slaves, but The yoruba culture is the only one that was retained by the slaves and is still very strong today in Brazil

I just pondered on this today not to belittle other tribes after all I’m married to an Igbo lady and they are a great race as well but there is just something about yoruba culture that defies any attempts to suppress it. It is innate, it is spiritual.

Not only the Yoruba
The Fon survived in Haiti through Voodoo which is Vodun
The Igbo survived in Jamaica through Obeah
The Congolese survived in Brazil through Candomble

All African peoples survived and passed their culture down not only the Yoruba it is just they had the largest numbers as they were the last group to come in large numbers so less died and less were rooted out by Christianity and indoctrination that other groups suffered

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by KingOKON: 7:20am On Oct 20, 2021
Moorish:

Ogbeni, do understand the meaning of civilization?
Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 12:36pm On Oct 20, 2021
KingOKON:

Ogbeni, do understand the meaning of civilization?
To me civilization is cultural expression. Basically a way of life. It could include arts, architecture, language, religion, laws etc

What is civilization according to you bro ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 12:50pm On Oct 20, 2021
Abohboy:

Not only the Yoruba
The Fon survived in Haiti through Voodoo which is Vodun
The Igbo survived in Jamaica through Obeah
The Congolese survived in Brazil through Candomble

All African peoples survived and passed their culture down not only the Yoruba it is just they had the largest numbers as they were the last group to come in large numbers so less died and less were rooted out by Christianity and indoctrination that other groups suffered
That is an interesting perspective

I have heard of those things you mentioned

However the only slave descendants to claim and hold on to their tribal affinities are the yoruba slave descendants. Yoruba is still spoken in Brazil, and Cuba

The Haitians do not claim a fon identity nor speak the language or come back to Benin republic to connect with their distant relatives.

The Jamaicans have never come back to igboland to connect with their Igbo ancestry nor do they learn Igbo language

Thanks for your perspective tho

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by agadez007(m): 1:34pm On Oct 20, 2021
If an Igbo man opens something like this to praise his ethnic group,hateful Yoruba children will start shouting chest beating up and down,even on TikTok onece somebody makes an Igbo appreciation video,they start convulsing like sick dogs

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 1:42pm On Oct 20, 2021
agadez007:
If an Igbo man opens something like this to praise his ethnic group,hateful Yoruba children will start shouting chest beating up and down,even on TikTok onece somebody makes an Igbo appreciation video,they start convulsing like sick dogs
An Igbo man did insult the yoruba on this thread

The back and forth between both groups is crap. And the truth is that there are igbos and yorubas who appreciate both cultures. I am one of those.

Read my initial post, I stated clearly that this is not meant to belittle other tribes. Was just an honest question I asked

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Abohboy: 2:58pm On Oct 20, 2021
Moorish:

That is an interesting perspective

I have heard of those things you mentioned

However the only slave descendants to claim and hold on to their tribal affinities are the yoruba slave descendants. Yoruba is still spoken in Brazil, and Cuba

The Haitians do not claim a fon identity nor speak the language or come back to Benin republic to connect with their distant relatives.

The Jamaicans have never come back to igboland to connect with their Igbo ancestry nor do they learn Igbo language

Thanks for your perspective tho

They all have come back to their respective countries that's false and as I said before the Yoruba arrived later so they were able to retain their language fully.

The Haitians who are Fon had their language turned into Haitian Creole and if you listen to it the Fon connection is very strong within the language and a lot of Haitians have gone back to Benin and reconnected with the land

Candomble is still represented not only in religion but also as a martial arts and dancing form but the Yoruba didn't retain any form of martial arts so you could say in that sense that the Congolese and Angolans are stronger by your logic at least

Then with the Igbos in Jamaica and Obeah yes i'll admit that the link isn't very strong but it must be remembered that they were some of the first few slaves to arrive there so for the religion to have even survived after 200 years compared to the Yoruba's 100 years is quite impressive and you have to acknowledge that the Igbos revolted the most so they were technically the strongest and not the Yoruba most slave revolts were coordinated by Igbos especially in Jamaica, Barbados and America

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 3:54pm On Oct 20, 2021
Abohboy:

They all have come back to their respective countries that's false and as I said before the Yoruba arrived later so they were able to retain their language fully.

The Haitians who are Fon had their language turned into Haitian Creole and if you listen to it the Fon connection is very strong within the language and a lot of Haitians have gone back to Benin and reconnected with the land

Candomble is still represented not only in religion but also as a martial arts and dancing form but the Yoruba didn't retain any form of martial arts so you could say in that sense that the Congolese and Angolans are stronger by your logic at least

Then with the Igbos in Jamaica and Obeah yes i'll admit that the link isn't very strong but it must be remembered that they were some of the first few slaves to arrive there so for the religion to have even survived after 200 years compared to the Yoruba's 100 years is quite impressive and you have to acknowledge that the Igbos revolted the most so they were technically the strongest and not the Yoruba most slave revolts were coordinated by Igbos especially in Jamaica, Barbados and America
Candomble actually has strong Yoruba influences

Check this out “ In addition to the influence on slavery, and later Afro-American cuisine and language, the importation of Yoruba culture was most heavily evidenced in such manifestations of Yoruba religion as Santería, Candomblé Ketu, and other traditional spiritualities.”

Also this is the first thing that comes up when you search “candomble” on Google >>>

Candomblé is a religion based on African beliefs which is particularly popular in Brazil. It is also practised in other countries, and has as many as two million followers. The religion is a mixture of traditional Yoruba, Fon and Bantu beliefs which originated from different regions in Africa.15 Sep 2009..

So you cannot ignore the Yoruba influence on candomble

On your assertions on later enslavement of Yoruba peoples compared to other tribes, I have heard it before but I cannot find any evidence for that.. I remember seeing it online some years back tho so you could be right

Can you point me to any evidence to that claim ? From what I know all of our west African tribes were enslaved around the same times

On your other assertions, Obeah is pretty much non existent now in Jamaica tho

Benin-Haiti share vodun in common I agree that this is evidence of the survival of dahomean culture in the new world. I will give you this

However no diasporan group is more strongly affiliated with their original homeland like the Yoruba diaspora

Even in the USA were igbos were the most enslaved group, you have “Oyotunji”, a Yoruba village in America to this day. Can you show me any such cultural center or village created by Igbo descendants in America ?

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Abohboy: 4:47pm On Oct 20, 2021
Moorish:

Check this out “ In addition to the influence on slavery, and later Afro-American cuisine and language, the importation of Yoruba culture was most heavily evidenced in such manifestations of Yoruba religion as Santería, Candomblé Ketu, and other traditional spiritualities.”

Also this is the first thing that comes up when you search “candomble” on Google >>>

Candomblé is a religion based on African beliefs which is particularly popular in Brazil. It is also practised in other countries, and has as many as two million followers. The religion is a mixture of traditional Yoruba, Fon and Bantu beliefs which originated from different regions in Africa.15 Sep 2009..

On your assertions on later enslavement of Yoruba peoples compared to other tribes, I have heard it before but I cannot find any evidence for that.. I remember seeing it online some years back tho so you could be right

Can you point me to any evidence to that claim ? From what I know all of our west African tribes were enslaved around the same times

Benin-Haiti share vodun in common I agree that this is evidence of the survival of dahomean culture in the new world. I will give you this

However no diasporan group is more strongly affiliated with their original homeland like the Yoruba diaspora

Even in the USA were igbos were the most enslaved group, you have “Oyotunji”, a Yoruba village in America to this day. Can you show me any such cultural center or village created by Igbo descendants in America ?

Cheers

The collapse of the Oyo empire is what began the mass trade of Yorubas in the 1800s I can't necessarily provide a definite source but before then the Oyo empire held a stronghold on ALL Yoruba land apart from eastern Lagos and Ijebu land and they were able to prevent any of their citizens from being sold into slavery it wasn't until the empires eventual collapse that a lot of Yorubas began being traded in the slave trade because for the most part when you read about the slave trade pre 1800s and you hear about the types of groups sold you'd realize mostare either Akan, Bantu ( Congo and Angola ), Senegambia or Igbos the Yoruba aren't mentioned often until after thelate 1700s and early 1800s when the Oyo empire collapsed and they began selling millions of Yoruba to the plantations in Brazil predominantly

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 5:30pm On Oct 20, 2021
Abohboy:

The collapse of the Oyo empire is what began the mass trade of Yorubas in the 1800s I can't necessarily provide a definite source but before then the Oyo empire held a stronghold on ALL Yoruba land apart from eastern Lagos and Ijebu land and they were able to prevent any of their citizens from being sold into slavery it wasn't until the empires eventual collapse that a lot of Yorubas began being traded in the slave trade because for the most part when you read about the slave trade pre 1800s and you hear about the types of groups sold you'd realize mostare either Akan, Bantu ( Congo and Angola ), Senegambia or Igbos the Yoruba aren't mentioned often until after thelate 1700s and early 1800s when the Oyo empire collapsed and they began selling millions of Yoruba to the plantations in Brazil predominantly
Thanks for this. I know I had heard something similar before
Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by EmekaA125(m): 5:47pm On Oct 20, 2021
Why you come marry Igbo girl if there's something unique about Yoruba culture or is there something you are not telling us

Well, Yoruba people are good but a total turn off about them which I can't deal with is unhygienic lifestyle, not trust worthy and reliable.

Aside these, they're generally accommodating and sophisticated.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Olu317(m): 6:44pm On Oct 20, 2021
Moorish:

Cheers

Why bother yourself ?
Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Olu317(m): 6:46pm On Oct 20, 2021
Moorish:

Thanks for this. I know I had heard something similar before
That is a false statement from the person who stated Oyo had grip on all Yoruba land.
Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 6:47pm On Oct 20, 2021
EmekaA125:
Why you come marry Igbo girl if there's something unique about Yoruba culture or is there something you are not telling us

Well, Yoruba people are good but a total turn off about them which I can't deal with is unhygienic lifestyle, not trust worthy and reliable.

Aside these, they're generally accommodating and sophisticated.
If you read my original post you would have noticed I also called the Igbo race a great race

But to answer you, I married her because I was divinely instructed to do so. And I believe it was my destiny

All your other critique of yoruba can be applied to any other tribe as well including yours.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 6:57pm On Oct 20, 2021
Olu317:
That is a false statement from the person who stated Oyo had grip on all Yoruba land.
He said all except eastern lagos and ijebu land

I think he was partially right except that the oyo empire never ruled over ekiti or ondo but in fact did rule over ijebu land until their independence

Also oyo empire cannot really say it “ruled” over ile Ife because that is our spiritual capital.. it will be sacrilege to be taxing your spiritual capital.. however don’t forget that present osun state fell under the oyo empire if you check the maps

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Moorish: 7:03pm On Oct 20, 2021
Olu317:
Why bother yourself ?
I had to counter those claims
Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Abohboy: 7:29pm On Oct 20, 2021
Olu317:

I said most excluding Lagos, Ijebu land and I forgot to also mention those conquered by other kingdoms but for the most part Oyo ruled over all Yorubas in Benin, Oyo, Osun, Western Ekiti, Western Ogun State, Western Ondo and Western Lagos which made up the majority of Yoruba land

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Civilization Is Just Too Strong by Olu317(m): 7:29pm On Oct 20, 2021
Moorish:

He said all except eastern lagos and ijebu land

I think he was partially right except that the oyo empire never ruled over ekiti or ondo but in fact did rule over ijebu land until their independence

Also oyo empire cannot really say it “ruled” over ile Ife because that is our spiritual capital.. it will be sacrilege to be taxing your spiritual capital.. however don’t forget that present osun state fell under the oyo empire if you check the maps
Oyo never ruled western Yoruba enclave as well,apart from other sub kingdoms

Even the Northern Yoruba such as Ikoyi,Ketu, Popo, Iresa, Ogbomosho,Ancient Ogbon were ally to Oyo Empire and were not subjected to Oyo dictates

An Empire subject kingdoms she controls through tthorough the dictates of that kingdom. Anyway ,Oyo empire actually did well at a point in time in history.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Black Women Humiliated On National TV / Guru Nanak Dev Ji Jayanti Birthday 2015 Short Poems, Kavita, Updesh, Kahani For / Translate This Igbo Phrase Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.